Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011-12 Optima

Comments

• conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    you look on the drivers door post and there is sticker on there giving you the correct tire pressure for your vehicle along with the tire sizes. Tire pressure should be checked when cold.

35 psi is correct the for the 18" tires and 33 psi for the 16" and 17"
  • hlcastelohlcastelo Member Posts: 45
    Are the move-able headstraints available only in the SX model? I have an EX. I will try to push forward any ways.
  • lakerfan24lakerfan24 Member Posts: 24
    I dunno, I have the SX and it moves. Try it... Well? Did it move? :confuse:
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    Does not move forward on my 2011 Ex. It's either a feature for the SX only or a change for 2012.
    Damn, sorry to hear that :( It still feels a bit awkward, so I put my seat forward so I can reach the peddles and recline the seat back as much as I can without interfering with my driving. It works and I look cool at the same time... ;)
    Manual for my 2012 SX says the on/off switch for the heated steering wheel is on the left side of the steering column. I looked and nothings there :confuse: Anyone have a clue where it really is??? :(
    Yes, it's right where the manual says it is, at least on my 2011 and I'm loving the feature now that it's getting colder. I haven't heard of any changes on this for 2012... Odd that it appears not to be on your car.

You can't see the button sitting in a driving position (which is a little annoying). You have to bend around the wheel.. to the left of course and you should see it on the Column. Also if you look on the column as you're entering the car you should see it. Assuming the feature IS on your car.
  • terrysealterryseal Member Posts: 3
    If you have an SX with paddle shifters, you do not have the heated steering wheel. Apparently the design of the SX steering wheel with paddles cannot accommodate the heating feature. Also, some particular EX level cars didn't have the heated steering as well, for some reason.
    Thanks Terry, Well that really sucks as I would have been using this feature. I'm gonna call my dealer and give em a little heat(no pun intended :D ). I know they can't do anything about it, but someone should let them know that their inconsistency is misleading. Maybe I'll get a free car wash out of it :P
  • mihmih Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2011
    For some reason, that rotten smell does not seem to go away.
    (The air that comes from where air-conditioning comes from, not the smell from outside)

I drove about 3000 miles.

I think that that smell especially becomes noticeable if I change the air mode (not inside-circulating mode, but the button below that, which circulates the air from outside).

Anyone has experienced this problem ??
    Can dealer fix this problem easily...? covered under warranty ?

Thank you !
  • osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    I've test driven both a 2011 turbo and non Optima. Liked both very much. Current car isn't that old but am slightly interested in replacing it. Visited the website today to look at the 2012s. Website malfunctioned in 2 ways and then could not print the ebrochure with satisfactory resolution. Why they don't just provide a pdf at the end of the info gathering section, I just don't know.

Anyway, didn't examine everything that well but was disappointed to see that the heated steering wheel isn't an option on the SX (as mentioned in post 816). And black interior is only available on the SX. It probably won't be make or break on either of these but so far am most interested in the EX and would really like it with black interior.
    for 2012 you can now get a turbo in the EX model just like the US, also the panoramic sunroof is now available in the LX model.
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    Can anyone tell me if the two-tone color scheme for the interior is the only way they do it? So far, that's all I've seen in pictures.

I want strictly dark coloring the dash/door panels/instrument panel and the seats etc.

I do not care for the "saddle oxfords" look with light colored seats and bottom of dash.
  • adrianraceradrianracer Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    conwelpic, I am very interested where you found the info for Canadian 2012 options, would you mind sharing that resource or could you answer a few more questions regarding colors etc.?
    edited January 2012
    I don't think you will find it online at present, but I have a very reliable resource, so what would you like to know?
    It might help if you could fill in your location in your profile - thanks.
    Profile changed. I am located in Calgary Alberta. Would like to know when 2012's will arrive and what all the changes will be. Also, will the EX turbo be availiable like it is in the US for 2012?
    Thanks
    I'm in Ontario so you may see the 2012 Optima's before us, estimated within the next 4-6 weeks.
    Not too many changes as far as specific items, but changes more in packages. LX, LX auto and LX+ still the same as the 2011 model.
    EX gets aero blade wipers as an additional feature, however the big change is the fact we will get a EX turbo like the US. That model will get paddle shifters, larger brakes and rear lip spoiler.
    EX+ which gets the panoramic sunroof same as last year, but now there will be a EX+ with the turbo.
    EX Luxury new addition for 2012 will be power folding sideview mirrors.
    Ex Luxury + Navi same as 2011
    SX same as 2011.
    All 2012 Canadian Optima's will be coming from South Korea, not the US.

If you need any more info just let me know, MSRP still not available yet.
    I am now receiving information that the 2012 Canadian Optima could be coming from the US instead of Korea, trying to get this verified. Initially it was definate it was going to be Korea due to supplies of the Optima for the US, but now I'm hearing that has changed, maybe its due to the completed expansion at the Gerogia plant.
    Great info thanks. Can you help me, I am wondering if I should get a 2011 at .9% and the rebate, or wait for the 2012. I am not concerned about Nav, but do want paddle shifters and would prefer a two tone interior, so I am thinking the 2012 EX Turbo would work? What would you do?
    I can't tell you what to do, that is your decision. I just bought a 2012 Soul 4u. If you want turbo in an EX then you have to wait for the 2012 model. 2011 are in very limited supply so it depends on what you can find.

The EX models come in black, grey or beige leather depending on the exterior colour. Beige is only available in the Luxury model in Pearl White, Ebony Black and Metal Bronze.
    I've had it confirmed that the Optimas will be coming from the Georgia plant, the original supply problem has been solved. My dealer is glad as that means he should have a good supply, however he says he won't see them till early March, but that may not be the same all across the country.
  • jeffb1jeffb1 Member Posts: 42
    Just saw where kia announced the 2nd gen UVO with eServices. Does anyone know if there are going to be any upgrades to the existing (gen 1) UVO firmware that was sold on the 2011/2012 optimas? For example, the sms text message protocol microsoft used prohibits a ton of phones from utilizing that feature. Anyone know of any planned enhancements to the gen 1 UVO? Thanks!
    Jeff
  • rcole5rcole5 Member Posts: 4
    Well, the names are similar, but to those Optima owners who considered an Altima, why did you make the choice? I am considering both (Optima LX vs. Altima S). The Optima's styling is definitely cool, but back seat seemed low and due to the sloping windows, kind of claustrophobic. Drove nicely though. Thanks.
  • chazechaze Member Posts: 4
    My top 5 are Front leg room, styling, warranty, horsepower, and gas milage. I'll bet an Altima with comparable options will be about 2k more than the Optima too.
  • ijennings1ijennings1 Member Posts: 67
    On my 2012 EX, the heated sterring wheel switch is on the left side of the dash board by the driver's door, next to the ESC control and the switch that dims/brightens your dashborad lights; speedo, rev counter etc. They have obviously moved it but not yet altered the manual. My main prblem is learning how to operate all the features on the information screen; sat nav, radio, A/C etc. The 'short' version of the manual for this alone is 56 pages! I'm going to ask next door's 6 year old to show me how to do it!
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I'm going to ask next door's 6 year old to show me how to do it!

That's what I do when I can't figure out my smart phone.

Kidding aside, all you need is 1 long trip and you'll get everything sorted out.
    Man, I think you got lucky. All I have there is the dimmer and the traction on/off swtich. My 2012 SX was made Oct of 2011. Maybe they added it there on the later models... :cry:
  • steveaspesisteveaspesi Member Posts: 46
    I'm not seeing that the altima would be more than the Optima

the altima has a complete re-model coming on later this year and their engine which is proven - is based on relatively old technology whem compare to the Optima. I see Altima dealers offering anywhere from $4,000-$6,000 in discounts while the Optima might offer $2,000 if you qualify.

with that said I prefer the Optima especially the ex with leather trim - the fit and finish of this interior is off the charts for a car in this price range.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    I got $3,700 off the sticker price of my loaded SX including a $1k competitive brand rebate.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    How did you manage that?

Quickly entered numbers...

MSRP 30,200 with an invoice of 28,145.

Edmunds shows a TMV of 28,594...or 1600 off of MSRP

So you got 30,200 - 4,700? Or 2600 UNDER invoice?

Does your "off sticker" include a trade in or money down?
    2012 Kia Optima inconsistent throttle action.

My 2012 Optima EX 2.4L has done 1,500 miles. I collected it on 2/28/12. Everything is fine accept the throttle action from take-off is inconsistent. About 20% of the time, you push the throttle and the car dies, almost like not enough choke on a cold engine. Then the next time on take-off it is fine. It is more pronounced in traffic stop-start.

Also, the amount of boot you give the throttle varies each time you take off. Sometimes I push the accelerator about 50% before she moves, other times it's normal. This happens when the engine is warming up and at normal running temperature.

I'm taking it to be checked, but wondered if anyone had heard about this or has any thoughts? I believe it has a drive by wire type throttle instead of a cable. I've looked under the hood to no avail. My dealer and Kia USA have called me and they know of no problem that has been alerted to them.

Thanks for any suggestions
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited April 2012
    You may want to check on other message boards like Optima forums where there is a high concentration of Optima owners who compare "notes".
    Thanks carnaught. I have done that actually. Repairpal said they had not heard about this. I'll call Kia USA and my dealer in the next couple of days. Otherwise, I'm very impressed with this car.
  • packerfanukpackerfanuk Member Posts: 1
    Have a 4 week old '12 Optima Hybrid. Has the same issues - worst in morning after sitting all night, but does it all the time until the engine is warmed up. Response to varying throttle pressure is random. Gets better with the ECO off at start. Dealer started with "all cold engines do this" but by end of day said Kia US was aware that other cars have reported same. No known cause or proposed diagnosis at this point - "operating as designed"!

Have no way to gauge if this affects gas mileage. Here's hoping a fix is eventually found before I need to sell (and explain to the next owner)
  • suzy14suzy14 Member Posts: 1
    If anyone can give me an idea how they like the optima after 6 months
    edited August 2012
    Have the 2012 Hybrid and at 5 months, lovin' it. Car is not perfect but a lot of bang for the buck.

Saw the new 2013 SXL (not a hybrid) with all the toys now with some smokin' deals. With MRSP of $35K, it was offered for $29K. That's a lot of car for the money.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    In what part of the country did you see the deals for the sxl? thanks. rr70
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    What you describe is what was happening with 2003 Nissan Muranos. It turned out to be the drive by wire sensor under the gas pedal. An easy fix, but you would be surprised how many transmissions were first replaced before they figured out the problem. Later on, in high milage muranos, the same problem occurred, but it was related to something in the tranny, which is a CVT tranny. Try turning off the engine and restarting to see if the problem contiues or goes away. No check engine light?
    Hope that helps. rr70
    SW USA.
    edited September 2012
    Thanks RR. That's makes sense. I wish the two dealers I took it to had looked at that. Anyway, I've now sold the Optima. It's a good car with tremendous balance of ride and handling, but I just could not put up with this throttle problem, now running a Camry Hybrid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2012
    I can tell you after a year in the EX I have had zero problems with the purchase price, the car, or the dealer service. I have 10,600 miles on it, and purchased it 12/28/11. Stickered at $24,500. Paid $20,500.

I have paid two visits to the dealer for oil changes and routine service. Tire rotation was $20...(well spent). Oil and filter changes are FREE FOR LIFE, as well as topping off fluids. I am a car guy and have NO idea where the windshield washer fluid is. The dealer just takes care of everything.

If you buy one do not fall for the "tire warranty" crap. Just get the BASIC service, or you will be paying $160 for all these "12,000 checks" and "chassis lube" the car does not need any of that, and if you buy an EX you will want better tires as your second set anyway. The Nexen's that come with it are fine though for real.
    -Chris
    suzy.... I agree with your comments on the Nexen tires. I have the EX Turbo with Nexen's. Although I didn't like them, I will admit, mine wore very well. I replaced mine early only because I curbed one of them and ripped a side wall. They had 30,000 miles on them and still looked new. If you're waiting for the day they wear out to upgrade, be patient if you're caring from the properly.

FWIW, I went with Continentals. If anyone is wondering if it'd be worth replacing early.... I'd say it's a toss up. Given my experience now, I'd probably run the Nexen's until they wear out before upgrading.
  • sylussylus Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2012 ex turbo optima the end of April this year. Within the first week we notified the dealer there was a distinct damp and mold smell from the car vents when you use the heating/cooling system. Turns out various models since 2011 have had this problem and Kia released a patch fix with tsb 016 which basically sprays dissenfectant down the vent tubes. it kills it temporarily but always returns. The mold and spores grow as condensation is trapped in the vents particulary when the a/c is used. Kia now want another 2 months to "discuss this" I will never buy or reccomend a Kia to anyone
    I've had this issue with several different cars over the years, Honda's, Saab, Mitsu etc. Interestingly, I did have this happen shortly after I got my Optima last year. It started after a couple months but it didn't last long and never returned. I have no explanation why but I'm glad I didn't have to do anything for it.
    edited October 2012
    I've also had this issue with multiple car makes, Toyota, Lexus, M.B. and BMW. The problem proved self-limiting for me.

Kia makes a great car for the $, but its service has room for improvement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    Fairfax Kia has a nice little service department. Art-Deco red tall stools & tables. Free Keurig Coffee right where the cars come in and where the service writers sit. The semi-outside part. Then, there are outdoor chairs outside so folks can sit and enjoy the short wait for an oil change and smoke a stogie.

My 74 yr old mother and I both have Kia's. She has a Forte' EX and I the Optima EX. No problems AT ALL with the car's or the service. She has 21,500 on her 2010 and I have 11,260 on my 2012.

There is also a very nice separate waiting room with cable, A/C and matching red Art-Deco gigantic couch and coffee table. Plenty of magazines, water, etc. It also helps out that the oil change and rotation only took 30 mins.
    edited November 2012
    Congrats, yours is the first nice one I've heard of.

Mine (relatively new dealership) has a waiting room in the back hallway smelling of stale smoke, dirty with 1970's-type chairs and an old discarded CRT television on an old dresser-drawer piece of furniture, strictly low rent. Oh, and there's food available from an old worn-out looking vending machine which looks like a culture medium.

Can't judge the service as all I've had is an oil change,

Nice huh :lemon: ?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you haven't already written one, I'm sure the dealership would appreciate your review of their service dept:
    http://www.edmunds.com/dealer-reviews/

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

If you haven't already written one, I'm sure the dealership would appreciate your review of their service dept:
    http://www.edmunds.com/dealer-reviews/

Actually, I'm sure they wouldn't :shades: .
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yours wouldn't.
    cski's might. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews