Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011-12 Optima

1121314151618»

Comments

• I just did. There were no service reviews at all. I copied and pasted my review verbatim.

I added (at the end of a glowing review) my only small gripe was about attempts at charging me for additional services that were unnecessary as part of a tire replacement warranty. All I do is tell them that I do not want to participate in that program and they are fine with it. The extra services would have been $160, with no parts or labor chargeable. I wasn't born yesterday. ;)
  • You need to go read the December 'Car and Driver' long term review of the same engine in a Sonata with the same problem.

The PCV valve needs to be replaced in CONJUNCTION with a new cabin air filter. The spray just covers the smell for a week or so....it doesn't fix the problem.

It's a simple fix, but I am also SO GLAD that I stuck with the 2.4. ALL the problems I am hearing about are with the turbo drivetrain.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    I too have a neck injury and also extreme chronic lower back pain. The back pain means that I have to drive with the seat back between full upright to three notches back depending on the car model. Most demos lately I've driven has to be about one- two notches back. This basically means that the seat is still very upright, and those who complain of these (incredibly intrusive) new type head restraints, are probably normal height or shorter and also drive with seat back fairly upright. Anyone who is tall and leans the seat back back a bit for head room, just doesn't get the problem with these new dang head restraints. I personally HATE them. EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF 'EM I HAVE TRIED SO FAR. They are so dang intrusive that I now question what is the newest car I can buy before they started making them so intrusive. 09? or maybe 10?? And INTRUSIVE is the word for them. Also read CHEAP. Saab and Volvo managed the SAME level of whiplash protection with that technology years ago, but guess what??? They didn't cheap out. Those head restraints where not nearly canted forward as much as the new ones are now. I am sick of manufacturers always messing with things, with the message of safety, but doing it on the cheap. I would gladly pay a little more for my new car and not have stuff like this be a literal deal-breaker..
    The new restraints nod my head down, because there isn't any room for it be upright in order to be an observant driver!
    Balance. Finding that all elusive balance to all things common sense seems to be lost on so many these days. "Oh..you want safer head restraints? We can do that". But..........

Safety...speaking of safety, I overheard a conversation that cinched a deal the other day. A customer was in a showroom and you could tell that they had basically made up their mind but was having a very real issue with these dang head restraints. The salesman took one out and turned it around backwards. "There, try that". That cinched the deal..never mind that the entire design of the restraints required that they NOT be turned around backwards!! And you don't think this goes on? I've already seen it in parking lots. I think more people are annoyed with this being jammed down their neck than some might think. And anyone with a backwards head restraint, is not NEARLY as safe to resist whiplash as their OLD head restraints were placed properly.

Progress...insert a major :eye roll: here..

And no, I can't afford a new Volvo, nor want the new ones. My guess, their design now is also probably more intrusive because of $. They all think we are stupid or something. And I guess the vast majority of us are, cuz they seem to be getting away with it..
    When shopping for a new car I found them in most of the cars I looked at.

Exactly..me too :mad:
    Thanks for that info! I will make sure I check this out on every model I test. I already have but salesman leaning over says "they don't move" but then lately I have been only sitting in subs and micros. (cheaper cars with fewer niceties)
    OTOH, there is nothing cool about having to contort your body to fitting the car. Isn't it suppose to be the other way around?

Of course there are cars that do not fit all sizes, we here we are talking about a universal problem right across the board.
    I found this very interesting, cski. PCV valve, eh? Who wudda thunk..
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    My old '06 Sonata had active restraints that move toward the head upon impact. You mean the new ones don't?
    edited January 2013
    I think the new ones do too, but suspect that because they are 'right there' at the back of your head the mechanisms at play are not as technical as they used to be in...say, an old Saab or Volvo.

This past week I spent some time in a quite new (10000 km, 6200 miles) 2012 ML350 diesel. (what a great engine...so much torque available at just the thought of accelerating. Quiet, incredibly smooth and balanced..efficient too) The head restraints in it were ok with my seat settings. OTOH, it was over $65k and not a vehicle I could consider. It also had the self-tightening seatbelts as you buckled up. You could feel them tightening and loosening..finding that sweet coddling-like spot as you were buckling. Very cool and very trick and a real help in taking the spaces out (safer) when you are wearing winter coats and such. In my humble Honda, I take the gaps and space out manually. Life is tough when you're poor..lol
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    just got a 13 optima ex and the passenger headrest was way forward. looked in the book and they are adjustable front to back. pull forward and they will click to farthest back position. they have three settings front to back. now no problem...
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Yea, I remember now. You can adjust them back and forth by pushing. In an accident, they automatically snap to the forward most position.
  • lakerfan24lakerfan24 Member Posts: 24
    I'm not contorting my body at all. In fact, I'm very comfortable the way i have my seats set. I read on here that most new cars have these new headrest safety features so if that's true, you can't just blame one car manufacturer. Have you even tried sitting in one of these seats?
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    they discovered that headrests wernt doing the job in accidents so the new headrests started getting phased in around 2006 and now all have them. many complain and some cars are much worse than others. ive never had a problem with them.
    edited February 2013
    Defensive much? Show ONE place, in any post I singled your beloved Kia out?

And yes I have. Whose responsibility is it to educate a customer on the seat adjustment settings? Mine or the salesman? When the salesman leans over and says "they don't move", am I supposed to argue with them and say "are ya sure?" I guess you missed that part of my post.

And this part: "here we are talking about a universal problem right across the board."

And I guess you also missed my quite detailed elaboration that it depends on your body type and how you adjust your seat whether it proves to be a problem or not. It is talked about often in showrooms..so from this I deduce that it IS a problem out there, not just mine. It is even backed up by the very next post after mine with words like "exactly".
    edited February 2013
    Hey that is great to know! Thanks for posting. I did give a tug on some of the rests but forget which car. So far I've been finding that they all intrude.
  • lakerfan24lakerfan24 Member Posts: 24
    Me defensive? lol... Dude, you sound really angry. Even try anger management?

And no, I didn't see where you post your conversation with the salesman. I only read the post that YOU replied to me with. I had no intention to go find ALL your posts to figure out all of your gripes.

If you don't like the car that's absolutely fine with me. (No defense here...) Maybe you can find yourself a nice moped. I hear they don't have any headrests and even fat people can ride them. GL!
    I'm sorry. I found your post way back in the fall. I really did originally appreciate knowing about the click type adjustments.
    I guess I am frustrated because so many cars have them that do not adjust. I will make it a point of going in and trying an Optima SX. I think it was the hybrid was last one I sat in as that is all they had at the time. And was told they don't move...by some idiot useless car salesman giving out bad info and shooting themselves in the foot while doing it.

Once again, I'm sorry.
  • When I bought my '12 Optima EX, I was not aware that the passenger seat didn't have a height adjustment. None of my kids could see out of the windshield. (yes they are old & tall enough). Salesman told me to buy a pillow. I wasn't amused.

Since my previous car was a Jeep Grand Cherokee, it never occurred to me just how much of an issue that impaired vision would be in my new car. If I could turn back time I would be in the "13 Accord Sport.
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    I was disappointed with that as well and my wife doesn't like riding so low. One thing that is obvious with the styling of the Optima as well as many other "stylish" sedans is that the bottom edge of all the side window are Very high. That's how they achieve such a Sleek look. The visual results are great but it takes some getting used to when inside. I think it will always feel more comfortable in the Less Stylish sedans. We like Big Windows. I still prefer my Optima over the Accord.
  • It's like driving in a bathtub with windows and gauges, and in hindsight the rear view camera is a must. I don't usually like electronic nannies, but the 2014 has a blind spot sensor that I also think would be a good idea.
    "Electronic nannies"? Trust me, once you have a rear view camera, you'll never want to be without it again. That and the Heated Steering Wheel are to two features I never thought I'd care about and wouldn't want to do without now.

I bought the Optima because I was spoiled by cooled seats from my Saab. When the time comes for a new car, I'll go crazy trying to find an affordable car with Cooled Seats and a Heated Steering Wheel. The Optima pricing is getting out of hand I've noticed. Since they don't offer a Turbo on the EX anymore, it'll cost closer to 40 Grand with all the Options.. Oh, and you can't have a Turbo and a Heated Steering Wheel now. That's just stupid IMO.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I agree that Kia's pricing is getting out of control. A loaded Kia Sorento SX-L can get up to $41,000 MSRP. Give me a break. That's what a Toyota Highlander Limited AWD V6, which I own, runs. I'm sorry but the ride of my Highlander is hands down more comfortable. Plus there is so much more legroom for passengers in the second row with the sliding seat feature. I owned a 2011 Sorento EX V6 with leather, Pano roof, etc. Traded it for the Highlander. I love the Optima as far as looks and all the goodies, but what they want for a SX-L is ridiculous. I will have them on my list when my 2009 Ford Fusion SEL V6 is ready to be traded in a couple of years, but the pricing will be a concern.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    I've been experiencing several odd electrical issues and wondering if anyone else has experienced or diagnosed them. Mine is a 2011 EX-t with the Tech Package. I noticed the first issue during longer trips. When shifting my position in the seat I'd hear an odd clicking sound and the dash lights would Flash bright. I finally realized when this happened at night the Headlights were Flashing off and on which would explain the Dash Lights flashing Bright. Of course the condition can never be duplicated when trying to demonstrate to Service. I also I had one occurrence where the Drivers window would not work. Now I'm having a problem on occasion where the Cruise Control will not turn on. I notice when this happens that the Trip Computer feature is locked unable to toggle through the Modes. That problem has always corrected itself after several minutes, allowing the Cruise to be turned on as well.

One note: the Steering Wheel was replaced under warranty for Leather problems. I add that because I'm suspicious of a wire or connection issue in the Steering Column.

Unfortunately the Dealer has been unable to diagnose the problem and apparently there are no Technical Bulletins. At this point it's just a little inconvenient but I'm concerned it could develop into a major headache before too long.
    Ski
  • Sorry you are having trouble on your Optima, and I know this post is old, but I looked into your electronic gremlins by looking up the TSB's on the EX-T model in particular and then for all makes and models.

I could also not find any other owner with any of those problems. 99% of owners report that the Optima is a trouble free car with the exception of some of the 2011's pulling to the left, which was caused by a strut design made by a subcontractor.

34,000 were recalled and the strut replaced along with the Electronic Power Steering Motor (EPS module)if necessary.

I own a 2012, and have had zero problems.