Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Dead Battery

vikasavikasa Member Posts: 11
edited October 2018 in Mazda
New 2010 CX-9 bought on Dec 18. Love it so far. Came across a strange issue yesterday. We are in Northern New Jersey where it has been very cold lately. Yesterday, the car was not used so it was outside the entire day. Late evening (7pm or so) I found that the battery was dead, doors wouldn't open.

I slapped my head thinking that I must have left the interior dome lights on, the most common reason for this. But to my surprise, that wasn't the case. One thing I did notice is that the front passenger seat seemed a little warm to the touch in spite of the seat warmer being off. But then again this shouldn't be drawing battery power when the ignition is switched off. I couldn't see anything that might have used up the battery. I jump started it and it is fine but this is a little disturbing for a new car.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

Comments

• cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    vikasa,
    Many 2010 CX9s have this issue (due to the new two-settings warmer). The seat warmer is draining battery even though it is off. Find the fuse for it and pull it out. Call the dealer. They should have the fix already in house for that.
    It will happen again if you don't take action.

2009 and prior models have no such issue. :)
  • vikasavikasa Member Posts: 11
    Thanks. Yes, that's what the dealer just said, will take it in. Just curious...why didn't this problem surface sooner? We have left the car out in the cold for a couple of days before without a problem. Does this seat warmer problem get triggered after a few days/weeks of use?

Also, can I pull the fuse out myself, how would I do that?

Thanks
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    The seat warmer issue with the 2010 CX-9s will happen no matter whether is left outside or garaged. It also starts at no apparent time frame. Open you glove box and remove the rear access lid on the glove box to expose your fuse panel. The lid you removed will have the schematic on which fuse belongs to the seat warmers, find it and pull it out.
    The dealer said the defective part is on backorder from Mazda. Just curious...what is a reasonable timeframe to expect the part to come in? It's been couple of weeks. Thanks
    Back order means that the dealer cannot get the part because there is a great demand for it and the vendor (manufacturer) not MAZDA is back logged and it is trying to fill the back logged orders. Usually a back-order can last from a week to about 1-2 months. So be patient and enjoy the ride.
  • weezie2weezie2 Member Posts: 4
    Do you have heated seats? There seems to be a defect that Mazda is aware of where the heated seats are not turning off and draining the battery. This has happened to numerous people. Some several times before they are made aware of he problem. I would take the car to your dealer.
  • weezie2weezie2 Member Posts: 4
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had problems with the heated seats. I was beginning to feel like I was imagining that the seats didn't heat up. When I took the 2010 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring for a test drive last month (Jan) I told the salesman that the seats weren't heating up. He said he would have it looked at because Mazda had issued a letter about problems with the heated seats. I purchased the car a few days later and he made an appointment to have the heated seats checked. The repair shop told me there was nothing wrong. They said they take at least 20 minutes to heat up because of all the seat padding. Ok, I took it for a 2 hour drive and the seats never heated up. Took it back to the shop today (Feb) for a defective rear hatch latch and also had them re-check the seats. I got a phone call that they have to replace the heated seat modules. Hopefully they will work when the modules are replaced. Will update when fixed.
  • buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    Has Mazda fixed the problem with seat heaters ?
    Yup there is a recall:

2010 Seat Heater Recall

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    MAZDA / CX-9 2010

Manufacturer: MAZDA MOTOR CORP Mfr’s Report Date: FEB 19, 2010
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V051000 N/A NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: SEATS:FRONT ASSEMBLY:SEAT HEATER/COOLER

Potential Number of Units Affected: 12300

Summary: MAZDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 CX-9 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRICALLY HEATED FRONT SEATS. THERE IS A POSSIBILITY UNDER EXTREMELY COLD CONDITIONS FOR THE SEAT HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT TO OVERHEAT AND FAIL DUE TO INSUFFICIENT ELECTRICAL GROUNDING.

Consequence: THIS MAY CAUSE BURN DAMAGE OF THE SEAT CUSHION SURFACE, OR A RISK OF SMOKE/FIRE.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSTALL AN ADDITIONAL GROUND HARNESS ON THE SEAT HEATER CONTROL SYSTEM. THE SEAT HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT WILL BE REPLACED IF NECESSARY AND/OR THE SEAT WILL BE REPAIRED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE MARCH 9, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MAZDA AT 1-800-222-5500.
    Notes: MAZDA RECALL NO. 5810B. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
  • splishkidsplishkid Member Posts: 7
    Yes-Yes-Yes
    Same exact problem. I took in to Mazda Dealer. They said their is an issue with some electronic gizmo that is supposed to turn off electricity to heated seats. Guess what--it does NOT. EVEN when the car ignition is in the OFF position. They even had the main Mazda trouble shooter in Northern NJ stop by and check car and he confirmed. They disabled heated seats, ordered new gizmo (took 2 weeks to get in), replaced gizmo and now all fixed. YOU need to bring your car to dealer immediately.
  • tonymogletonymogle Member Posts: 14
    Car was garaged came for 5 hours during the day. I came out to leave and the car will not start. At first I thought it was the battery, but it is fine and there is no cranking from the starter. There is a flashing key on the console making me believe this is an antitheft issue. I have 2 keys for the car. Neither key will unlock the doors. The nearest dealer is 45 miles away. Towing it would be an expensive option! Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • tonymogletonymogle Member Posts: 14
    Wiggled stick shift and car started! Duh! It must have not been seated properly.
    2010 Mazda CX-9. Drove it around last night to make sure battery was ok. This morning @7.30am, I put the ignition in ACC position and charged 2 cellphones using the car charger. After 3 hours, the battery is dead, can't start the car!

I thought the battery is rated at least 10AH so just 3 hours of 2 devices drawing around 0.7A (output of charger) wouldn't make it unstart-able.

Any ideas? Thanks
  • AdornoAdorno Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    2012 Mazda CX-9. I just changed the car from the  parking lot and put my cellphone to charge and left the ignition switch on for a few minutes. Took some stuff out of the car and try to start the car again and the battery is drain. I just bought this car. What I should do to help. Am afraid that if jump start the car it might affect the computer or something. Any suggestions? I also noticed that the back door doesn't work to good with the remote key