Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Cruise Control

gdietzelgdietzel Member Posts: 2
The cruise on my 2009 Tahoe will not slow the car down when going down hills. My 2003 Silverado does.

The dealer tells me this is normal and it is only design to maintain on level surfaces. It maintains going up hills so this did not make sense to me.

I have driven many, many cars and have never noticed this and as I stated my truck does.

What is the real scoop?

Thanks.

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    well it doesn't put the brakes on.................

On steep hills my 07 Suburban will go faster than the cruise is set at.

If gravity is greater than drag (air and mechanical friction) on vehicle, then the vehicle speeds up.

The cruise control only adjusts the amount of throttle given to the engine, if the vehicle speed drops below the target speed. There is nothing to prevent the vehicle from going faster than the target speed.
  • gdietzelgdietzel Member Posts: 2
    My truck is geared much lower than the Tahoe so that could be why the speed does not creep up too much.

Odd that I just have never noticed this in other vehicles.
  • jbacintijbacinti Member Posts: 3
    With over 200,000 miles on my Tahoe I've never had a problem with the cruise control; worked every time. It just quit the other day; tried to engage and nothing. No symptoms, no dis-engaging, nothing, just quit working. Fuses are good. Brake pedal switch is good. Where else should I check?