Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Honda Odyssey Discussion

Comments

• ody2011exlody2011exl Member Posts: 1
    We picked up an Ody on last Sunday and already noticed the images from driver side mirror are distorted around the bottom left area. So when you are driving the car, and looking at the driver side mirror, it is really easy to get dizzy. Comparing with the previous years model, the mirror images are not distorted. Has anyone experienced the same issue?
  • srjainsrjain Member Posts: 14
    In the market for a smoky topaz touring elite in somerset county,NJ (Princeton,Bridgewater area).I am looking at making a deal at 39 K incl destination,Has anybody bought an elite model in surrounding NJ.Is my deal reasonable?Any input would be helpfull.Most dealers around here claim they dont have it.
    the 2011 ex-l cannot be had with both RES & NAV.For that u have to move upto the Touring trim !
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    AutoSport in Bridgewater is quoting $39,900 for an Elite, not including destination. Dealership seems reasonable - they are just trying to find me a red one. They claim they do not have allocation to get any Elites this next cycle so I think I have a wait ahead of me.
    i recd 40,600 frm them over the fone.Not sure if we are going to accept that.Enjoy ur elite when u get it,love the dark cherry color.
  • audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    Try the "request a quote" form from their site.. That was the price they gave me before they even talked to me.

Good luck!
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    I know this post is quite old now but just in case anyone is perusing these forum...I just wanted to note that this poster is not entirely correct. I have a new 2011 EX-L RES sitting in my driveway...with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires on it.

I looked at several of these vehicles at different dealerships--I did see a few with Continental's, but I saw more with Michelin's. It is not uncommon for a new vehicle to launch with two tires and my suspicion is that is what happened here. My 2007 Camry Hybrid was the same way--in that case I got unlikely with a set of awful Bridgestone's. This time I lucked out.

One thing I will mention though is that I believe that every RES vehicle I looked at had the Michelin's. That could be a coincidence.

I will post some through impressions of the 2011 shortly, now that I have driven it over the weekend.
    can u share how much you paid?
  • johnjohnson1johnjohnson1 Member Posts: 4
    Same problem - drivers side mirror is warped all over the place. I'm going to have the dealer replace it.

I have 3,000 miles on my 2011 EX-L and have several peeves. On a roadtrip, I noticed several times (maybe 10 times) a fairly loud sound cruising at 74 mph. It's when it goes out of ECO. It sounds exactly like a firecracker went off in the exhaust manifold. It could be the hydraulic pin noise of the VCM as it slams into the lifters, or maybe the torque converter lockup action, or even detonation in the exhaust manifold due to unspent gas. It's very difficult to reproduce so I won't waste my time with the dealer.

The other ridiculous thing is the tailgate door acts like a giant subwoofer in the cabin. The ANC (what a joke) does nothing for this sound. When you go over bumps at slow speeds it is most noticeable... very low frequency rumble. To test this, simple sit in the drivers seat, close all doors, then have someone tap the tailgate door near the license plate. You will hear low frequency sound inside. You can remedy this by half latching the tailgate door. The low frequency sound will go away. I am going to try to brace the middle of the tailgate door so that it cannot flex in the center causing the "subwoofer" effect and hopefully this will be a permanent solution. Everyone has this problem even if your ears can't hear these low frequencies.
  • kvn1kvn1 Member Posts: 52
    thanks for the feedback on 2011 Ody. I'm looking to replace my 2002 Sienna with 2011 Ody as the new Sienna 2011 looks bloat in person, and I still debate that if I should go with Ody. These feedbacks are very helpful for those people like us, thanks again.
  • kamakanikamakani Member Posts: 2
    I just put a deposit down on a 2011, Honda Odyssey Touring at a dealer in NC. We test drove the car at one dealer, but they only had one Touring on the lot and not the color we wanted. The sales manager said they would take a deposit from us and order a car. The most they would take off was $1K. On Nov. 30th, I called around to all the smaller market Honda dealers in the state. Found one 60 miles away, and got a Touring model (Smoky Topaz Metallic - 1st choice color) for $39K + tax + $349 dealer fees. They had added wheel locks, mud flaps & pin-striping. This is about $2500 off of MSRP (not counting the wheel locks, flaps & striping). Their sticker was a little over $42K. I felt that was a great deal. Most dealers had one or none on the lot. Mark
  • kamakanikamakani Member Posts: 2
    On Nov. 30th (last day of month), I put down a deposit on a 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring, in Smoky Topaz Metallic. MSRP was $41,535. Dealer sticker was at $42K+ (added pin striping, wheel locks & mud flaps). Most dealers near us would only come off $1K at most. The Touring model inventory has not been built up yet. I had to call around to some smaller town Honda dealers to find what we wanted. Got it for $39K flat, + tax + $349 dealer prep fees. I know the $349 is BS, and pure profit for the dealer (I used to sell cars years ago). I was ok with it after getting $2535 off the MSRP. Most dealers will give you a better price if you commit to finance with them (if they have competitive rates only) and if you live close enough that you'll get your service done with them. Do NOT buy an extended service plan. I got offered one for $1795. I couldn't stop laughing at the F&I (Finance & Insurance) person on the phone. We pick it up on Monday.
  • pilotodysseypilotodyssey Member Posts: 24
    Giving up on the Odyssey '11 to buy a used E or S-550.

Thanks for tons of information on this forum.......
    edited December 2010
    Don't get me wrong, I love the van after 3,000 miles (average 19mpg mixed, 25mpg highway at 75 mph), but here are more peeves:

It wanders more than I would like on the highway. Several times during the roadtrip, my hands started cramping. Next round of tires I might go with a directional tread and have the alignment slightly toe-in.

coolbox is somewhat of a joke. a warm bottle of water take a long time to cool down.

there is a noticeable vibration on the highway at 50-60mph while in 3 cylinder mode and slight acceleration just before it changes to 4 cylinder mode.

no rubber mats in the pockets and center console, so stuff can slide around and make a lot of noise. i'll have to make my own diy rubber mats.

it's louder on the highway than i would like especially if you are on concrete.

other than that, it's an awesome minivan and i am overall very pleased so far.

glad i decided against the R-Class Merc Benz.
  • azkid2azkid2 Member Posts: 47
    Have your dealer balance the tires verrrrrry carefully. It helped my '08 a lot. My VCM is barely noticeable going in or out.
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I have a 2011 ex-l and my mirrors are fine. Overall, I'm very happy with the vehicle. I'm getting almost 26 on the hwy at 75 to 80. Around town is closer to 17, but I do lots of short trips.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    edited December 2010
    For a second I thought I read E-350, as the Ford E-Series van :-)
  • absybabsyabsybabsy Member Posts: 4
    I was rearended in my 2010 EX-L RES! The initial estimate is $15,000 and that is before the full tear down. Between the damages, car rental and the salvage value - looks like it will be a total loss. The car looks bad! The girl was texting and never stopped - my 70 year old mother and my 10 year old daughter were both in the car with me. All my stuff in the back was demolished (sewing machine, sewing boxes, misc items). Now I am back in the market and cannot find and new 2010 EX-L RES to buy. I am not ready for the 2011 I LOVED THIS VAN. Dealer quoted me 34,500 for everything but the tax. I do not have a trade and live in Florida. Anyone getting a better deal? I have not begun negotiating yet - it was the initial offer on the phone with my salesman who sold me that 2010 recently.
  • dodgehappydodgehappy Member Posts: 118
    Have a 2011 EX and the last two days we have been getting a message stating Battery Charge Low See Owners Manual. I thought it was a fluke until I check out the odyclub forum and found others with the same issue on their new vans recently. I havent taken it to the dealer yet, but did call today and they said they have not encountered this yet and to bring in.
  • kvn1kvn1 Member Posts: 52
    thanks, please keep us updated, there is another person said "keep sliding door" in off position would help, but that is a pain in the butt to drive a 40k brand new Van like this
  • dodgehappydodgehappy Member Posts: 118
    thanks for the tip. I will be sure to update after I visit the dealer- which may be after the holidays.
  • branfordbranford Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I bought a 2011 Touring Elite in Celestial Blue Metallic. We are really enjoying the van. It is great with our three month old and the associated travel "necessities."

As to your comment about the cool box being a joke...Honda did not design it to cool down beverages but to keep already cold beverages cool. It runs off of your A/C so there is no way it will cool a room temp drink down like a fridge will.

I am getting slightly above 22 mpg in town and 28-29 on the highway @ 65-70 mph.

I too made my own non-slip pads for the center "drawer" and door pockets. It is quite annoying to have everything slide around and rattling. I used the non-slip drawer and cabinet liner. Works great for a $1.95 investment at Dollar General.
  • nicolasj1nicolasj1 Member Posts: 4
    Uh? More high tech features in the Odyssey? As in no smart key, no radar cruise, no rain-sensing wipers, no auto high beams, no telematics, no AWD, no 'tiptronic' option for transmission, etc., etc.
    The Odyssey might have better interior materials but it seriously lacks behind in terms of features, I'm sorry!
    Odyssey=overpriced vehicle
    Straight line tracking is bad. The Odyssey wanders.

Try it. Take you hands off the steering wheel on a straight and level road. See how long you can go without correcting the steering. My other car will go 10 seconds or more; the Odyssey, maybe 3 seconds if I am lucky.

I guess this wandering is an effect of effortless turning.

I will have the alignment checked and increase toe-in, but it's not the best workaround.
  • ciao888ciao888 Member Posts: 24
    Here is one way to check for judder...

hold RPM steady at about 1500, try to hold a constant speed while maintaining RPM at 1500, you may replicate this easily when you are on a slight incline, taking a ramp onto the highway or just holding a steady pace in traffic

you will feel a vibration, some have called it the rumble strip or driving on a washboard feeling
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    The exterior style is polarizing, but for the rest of the design this is always nice to read:

Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com Names Honda Odyssey '2011 Best Redesigned Vehicle'

Honda Odyssey Selected as 2011 AUTOMOBILE Magazine "All-Star"
    I compared a Ody EX-L vs a Sienna XLE and many of those "high tech" features are not available on the XLE or are part of an expensive package. I have a Lexus RX already so I have nothing against the Toyota, but for this comparison the EX-L was a better fit for my families needs and felt much more high tech.

The Ody has a larger MID (8" vs 3.5"), CD-L (CD Library), USB input, AUX input, Bluetooth, voice dialing, a cool box, wallpaper on MID and overall better integration of the radio (short of Nav, which I don't want ). You can add a few of these with standalone or packages on the XLE but they don't seem to integrate as well as on the Ody.

I can also list a bunch of things I would like to see on Ody and most are not high tech options:
    Hybrid or Diesel engine option
    6 spd transmission on all models.
    ability to select gear on transmission
    direct fuel injection
    RES in headrests (this can be done aftermarket)
    power rear side window vents
  • agrawalagrawal Member Posts: 49
    I had the same problem, occured several time so I took to dealer twice and second time they replaced the battery. and said to look in page 81 to 87 in manual talks more about this sign. Hope we did not spent 45k on a lousy car.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I was just leafing through Car and Driver and noticed that the Odyssey was criticized for poor driving feel and the Sienna Se was given the nod as the best handling minivan.

What happened to Honda? I thought they were supposed to be much better than Toyota in this regard. Does the 2011 Odyssey handle worse than the 2010?
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    To be fair, the Sienna SE has a suspension, steering and wheel/tire combo specifically tuned for improved handling. I don't think it means that Honda is bad, as much as Toyota came out swinging in '11. I don't think we will see an Odyssey Si anytime soon.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    I finally test drove a 2011 EX and was surprised by how soft the suspension felt. It was a little disappointing. Anyone else able to compare a recent model to the 2011, ride & handling-wise?
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Whatever others say, I personally think this is the ugliest van ever. The Aztek of minivans (outside only).

I wish Honda should have released 2 versions, the regular minivan design and the polarizing, and see which sells better..

Or at least ,make a survey among all Odyssey owners and ask for their opinion... I am sure Honda will be surprised!

The problem is, that most new cars are being designed to get some great rating in critics magazines etc. rather then to cater to simple drivers. I am sometimes surprised to see as some ugly vehicles are being rated so high for the striking design, and good old designs are being ignored. I am shocked that the Aztek was never CAR OF THE YEAR due to the polarizing design..

Maybe it's just me. I hate extreme changes. I like to blend in with traffic, and not looking for attention and to stand out from the crowd. For example, in new small sedans, I love the new Chevy Cruze, which is being totally ignored by most reviewers, and hate the front-end of the upcoming new Elantra, which most reviewers are so excited about.

Yeah, maybe it's just me.
    It's not just you as others seem to really hate the looks of the new Odyssey. I am not one of them. I have a very slight preference for the 2010 style, but that will fade in time and the old ones will look dated like the pre-2005's do now. However, I was driving up 101 and saw an Odyssey (I'm attuned since I'm in the market for a used one), and it wasn't until I was right off of his passenger side bumper that I realized it was a 2011. Taken as a whole, it's a pretty mild redesign on the exterior. It has a long way to go (and would have to pass the Quest and every Caddy along the way) before you could compare it to an Aztek.
  • enclaverenclaver Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

Looking for some guidance. I'm shopping the EX-L RES 2011 Honda Odyssey and here's what my local dealership is offering me:

Retail: 36,830
    Savings: 2,315
    Selling: 34,515
    Trade: 17,000 (My KBB value is 19,500)
    Fees: 667.00 (Doc fees are 499)
    Sales Tax: 525.45
    Net Sale Price: 36,122.45

Choices:

$0 Down puts me at 503-513/mo
    $500 Down puts me at 587-497/mo

Anyone willing to give me some insight would be greatly appreciated. My state (NC) does not have a minimum doc fee so the 499 to me is a hefty fee.

My target mo/ ideal cost would be $415 with $0 down and not sure what angles I can approach this to get it lower. I know my vehicle has $2500 in equity based on online research but they won't go higher than $17k.

THANKS!
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    You might want to go to the Real World Trade Value thread and ask those guys for the trade value of your car. It is exceedingly rare for ANY dealer to give you KBB trade value. Dealers usually work off of auction prices, not KBB or the others.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

edited December 2010
    You are getting no deal at all. The doc fee is all profit for them (they have salaried employees to fill out the docs, it's all computerized so it takes about 15 minutes to do, so in reality it's costing the dealership nothing because they're paying that employee whether they're filling out docs or not). Your trade deficit erases any discount you're getting on the new Ody, so you're basically paying full retail + $500. If your kbb trade value is $19.5, try putting it up on craigslist for $20.9k and negotiate down from there. I'd jump at the chance to buy a private party car for near kbb trade-in value. I've sold cars on craigslist in less than 6 hours if they were priced right, so not too much hassle. It's worth a try, if it gets to be too much of a hassle, you can always go back and get this "deal".
    Thanks, I will do that.
    My current trade is a lease... so there's no selling it on Craigslist. Thanks for the feedback gene00, I really do appreciate it.
  • graham766graham766 Member Posts: 12
    Have any of you owners of 2011 Odysseys noticed any excessive wind noise (swirling and roaring noises) at speeds above 55 MPH? If so, was your dealer able to pinpoint the source and correct the issue?

MY EX-L is very quiet at low speeds, but has very annoying wind noise above 55 MPH.

Thanks.
    My EXL is pretty quiet at 80. I'm very happy with the noise level. On some roads, a little to much road noise gets in but It's not constant.
  • gurgs24gurgs24 Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2010
    Keep in mind that comparison was Sienna SE vs. the Odyssey. The SE is tuned for "sport" driving as others have said, so one would expect it to be more of a drivers van. I for one, hate the ricer look of it though.

Most other magazine comparisons of "standard" Siennas vs. Oysseys have the Ody coming out on top in term of drivability. I agree with them, altough it wasn't a hug difference. I did find the Siennas engine slightly punchier though.
  • odysea2011odysea2011 Member Posts: 1
    This light and awful sound started a week ago...back to dealer and told the battery had to be recharged. Sat for an hour and half, left and next day, bat to same annoying sound and sign.

Next day 12/24/10...by sliding doors are longer operational and have to manually open them.

How many electrical problems do we endure before we call into play the lemon law?

Not very patient with misleading excuses...waiting to see what the dealer had to say about this now...afraid to go out an start my car, or rather see if my car will start!
  • jchen101jchen101 Member Posts: 3
    Owned an EXL-RES for 3 weeks now and yesterday the low battery warning was on. Turned the sliding door main switch off and the problem went away so far. I believe it's draining the battery somewhere. The battery looks too small for so many electronic gadgets in the car.

Other than this, the door lock knob was repaired. (a hook was poped out or didn't fully engage in assembly line) Missing a plastic trim piece covering the 2nd row seat anchor.

Hope it's not a sign for future troubles but I'm not confident at all now.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The battery looks too small for so many electronic gadgets in the car.

In reality, all the battery does is start the car. When it's running, it's up to the alternator to provide electrical power to the accessories.
  • jchen101jchen101 Member Posts: 3
    In reality, all the battery does is start the car. When it's running, it's up to the alternator to provide electrical power to the accessories.

You mean, IDEALY, not in reality.

The car needs a bigger capacity battery in reality because you still need to operate the sliding doors, tailgate, radio, etc while the engine is not running. Some drivers may not do these a lot, some do. The engineers at honda should have considered this. But that will cost them a few bucks more for each odyssey. They cut corners here.

Above assumes there is no flaw causing the battery drainning, ideally.
  • hyinghying Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the 11 Odyssey Touring on 11/20/10. I've had the low battery warning come on 3x. The first time, I tried to start and the engine would not turn over. I went out and bought a charger and after re-charging, it started fine. The next two times it happened, I didn't try starting. Instead, I returned to the car 1/2 hour later and the message did not appear/ car started. I'll be taking this to the local dealership at some point. Will ask them to look into it.
  • nymom1nymom1 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    I got my touring elite in late october. the second week of december it started giving me low battery warnings... i use the power doors often b/c i have two small babies... i called the dealer (nardy honda in smithtown, NY) and they told me I have to DRIVE the 2011 odyssey to charge the battery, can't just let it run idle (which I did one day for 40 minutes with no effect)...

i am lucky enough to have a one mile commute to work and the kids' daycare is in between. i don't have any reason to spend an hour in the car, but now i will have to take a drive to nowhere just to charge the car battery?? anyone else find this ridiculous?? don't even know if one hour will be enough?? what if it takes two??!? UGH!!

I never felt so UNlucky to have a short commute!!!!
  • queenv1queenv1 Member Posts: 53
  • queenv1queenv1 Member Posts: 53
    That is ridiculous. My 2011 EX has been sitting in our garage for the past 3 days where we are experiencing -25 degrees C temperatures without the wind chill factor (-35+with the wind). I had no problems starting her up and got no warning battery signal either. Our batteries should be similar I would think.