Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Honda Odyssey Discussion

Comments

• nohonda2nohonda2 Member Posts: 2
    I am also a disgruntled 2011 Honda EXL-Res owner, with only 500 miles on it who has the same problem. This is a very scary and serious situation when this happens, with the thought of someone following to close behind and rear ending me when it does. Have taken it back to my dealer and of course when out for test drives problem did not happen. Howeve he has promised to dig in to it deeply with Honda and keep me advised.
  • odysseybuyer1odysseybuyer1 Member Posts: 14
    It's been about 2 months since purchasing 2011 Odyssey EXL. So far the vehicle is amazing. My wife drives it mostly and she loves it. I drive my Acura TL moslty, but would not miss the chance to drivei t during weekends, This is an amazing driving machine with superb handling that gives car like feel. Sometimes, I tend to foget that I am driving a minivan, not a car. For anyone who is in the market for minivan, I would recommend to do a test drive of 2011 Odyssey before you decide.
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I've had my EXL since October and no problem so far. Love the vehicle, it drives very nicely and is quiet and comfortable. Gas mileage is great on the HWY and average around town, but what do you expect with over 2 tons of mass to move.
  • mrwhy300mrwhy300 Member Posts: 2
    I just want to share our recent experience with picking out our new van. With two little children (a 2 years old, and a new born infant), we are looking for a minivan to replace my wife's 2003 BMW 325i.

We started looking into the market since around Oct 2010. At that time, Sienna was our first and only choice (nothing wrong with domestics but we decided to go for imports based on past experience so far). We were focusing on the LE and SE as we thought the limited is just too much $$ for a minivan. We hesitated due to its poor interior and bad driving experience. The dashboard and door panels are made of very low grade plastics with no padding at all. I am okay with that for an entry level vehicle like Echo, but spending close to 40k, I expect something better. Integrated radio antenna should also be standard for all models, instead of only available in the limited model. These little details may not show the overall quality of the vehicle. However, we left with the impression that they are cutting corners in many ways, I guess to improve on the exterior look and six speed tranny. The test drive experience was not satisfying as well. The engine is powerful. The ride is quiet and smooth but the steering is just too loose, with no feeling of the road at all, to a point that we don't feel comfortable/ confident. We realize we are testing a van, not a performance vehicle. However, there must be something better in the market, so we decided to wait a few months for the 2011 Odyssey and Quest.

The Quest came out in 2011 and we were really excited as we had experience with Nissan Elgrand in the asia market. It is advertised as the "king of the minivan" over there, and I think it is the best van in the world today. Unfortunately, Quest is a trimmed down version of the Elgrand. The front and rear exterior is modified as well but the general interior layout is pretty much the same. The test drive was very impressive for us. The quality of the interior material is outstanding. You feel like driving an Infiniti. The ride is as smooth and quiet as the Sienna while the steering is much more "precise". Only drawback are the CVT transmission and the bland exterior. If they import Elgrand straight from Japan without modifying the exterior, we would have made our offer.

So at this point, you probably know we have ended up with the 2011 Odyssey. We only have our Odyssey EX-L for a few weeks but so far we are loving it. Touring is nice but EX-L seems to offer the most for the buck. The interior quality is fine (not as great as Quest but far better than Sienna). The exterior is quite subjective, depends on who you speak to, my folks think it is ugly and too aggressive but we got a few compliments in the parking lot (mostly in the 30's and 40's) Personally I think the lighting bolt looks alright. I wasn't so sure about our decision before the delivery. However, once I received the van and have the time to look at the details. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of many little things. And that's the reason why I registered with Edmund and submit my first post to share the experience and my appreciation towards this amazing van.
    The only issue we have so far is with the width of the vehicle, it is definitely wider than most vans. It probably won't fit in those "small car only" parking spots in busy shopping malls. Other than that, we just hope we won't have to go through the tranny issue and the TPMS error that some people here experienced.
  • gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    I was curious, so I looked it up - exterior widths of current minivans:

Honda Odyssey: 79.2
    Toyota Sienna: 78.1
    Kia Sedona: 78.1
    Nissan Quest 77.6
    Chrysler T&C: 76.9
  • wehrlewehrle Member Posts: 4
    I went to the Honda dealer and looked at the new Odyssey EXL-RES. They quoted me $470 with 2000 down. Sound Good? I usually shop these all over but it appears to be a good deal and its right around the corner for service? The sticker was about $36800. I'm told the invoice is $33 and change.
    Thanks, Rich
  • bobbo380bobbo380 Member Posts: 4
    I was getting so irritated by my low battery signal and having to get the battery charged every month or so (it kept going down to 65% after each month or so of driving) that I contacted the Better Business Bureau and filed a claim against my dealership for not telling me that if I don't drive it enough it will come on and Honda America for saying in essence "Too bad". I think if everyone who has this problem would flie a claim, maybe they will finally do something about it.
    I got so tired of my low battery signal coming on all the time and not getting any satisfactory answers from either the dealership or the Honda America rep that T filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau. Maybe if everyone with the problem did that Honda will do something about it.
    It doesn't sound like a very good deal. You can get a 6 year loan with 2K down for not too much more if you just wanted a low payment. There's lots of posts about leasing in general on Edmunds and you need to look at the cost of the vehicle, residual value, amount down and rate to see if its a good deal. The payment will follow. There is plenty of deals listed under the prices paid forum for the Ody, in general you should be down around invoice which on an EX-L w/ReS should be around 33.8K w/destination charge.
  • future_buyerfuture_buyer Member Posts: 2
    Hi PW~

Would you mind telling me where did you buy your Odyssey EX-L? I live in Dallas and have plans to buy one in a near future

Thanks
    Bought mine in VA. Don't think that will help in Dallas.
  • battlowbattlow Member Posts: 3
    Lots of 2011 Odyssey owners with this problem. Honda refuses to acknowledge a defect in the design, so I caution any prospective buyers to research this issue fully and be prepared to deal with a low battery warning (due to design defect) if you, according to Honda, "don't drive the vehicle enough". You don't have to take my word alone on this issue - just Google "Honda Odyssey low battery" and you can see for yourself. The sales people aren't going to tell you about this (if you ask they'll tell you it's a "feature" of the battery management system), but they are happy to take your hard earned money for a new Odyssey that's defective. Buyers beware!
    See: Honda Low Battery Defect
  • ciao888ciao888 Member Posts: 24
    So has any Honda rep told you that it is a "normal operating characteristic". It buys them time until they figure out how to deal with it.
  • wallybear1wallybear1 Member Posts: 1
    We have had 4 honda vans and the 2011 is the first one that has had any problems. We also have the same hesitation problem that I feel is dangerous. Especially when pulling out into traffic. Did you get it fixed yet?
  • hkbnyhkbny Member Posts: 3
    My hesitation problem was caused by driving with two feet (one on the gas and one on the brake). This confuses the computerized acceleration program. When I stopped driving with two feet the problem disappeared.
    after I made a claim with the Better Business Bureau Honda "miraculously" came up with a fix. Since they "fixed" the problem two weeks ago, the message has not come on. They don't tell you anything about it unless you make a big stink. Threaten them with a claim and they will fix it fast enough!!!!
  • queenv1queenv1 Member Posts: 53
    What was the fix exactly? They changed my battery but that didn't work. Then they changed the battery sensor and that didn't work either.
  • battlowbattlow Member Posts: 3
    To all who are experiencing the low battery warning on their BRAND NEW Odyssey minivans, check out: https://sites.google.com/site/hondalowbatterydefect/ Lot's of great info and some ideas as to how we can get Honda to act to fix this defect.
  • speeder05speeder05 Member Posts: 1
    bring back to dealer two times, check battery say OK, nothing help. still have the msg come out some times since I own this vehicle for 2 months.
    I don't know what it is called, but they cut some wires leading to the battery, then attached another wire in place of the one they cut. It was done about a month ago and the message has not appeared. I received a flyer from Honda telling me what could be done, but I misplaced it. The series of wires is about 8 inches long. Just keep bugging Honda and they will figure it out. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.
  • nahhondanahhonda Member Posts: 6
    The Power of the mini van is over for us - especially the Honda. Huge mistake, on our part, thinking it would be a quality vehicle. First non euro car purchased - sold within 5 months. Thank you to all the others who are fooled too - because the value of the "barely used" Honda was higher than I expected. $44,030 sticker - appx $40,000 invoice traded in for $37,000 with 6,900 (torturous) miles put on it. I hope the issues do not affect the new owners. Don't be fooled by all the great stories you hear - like we were - We were totally shocked with the Odyssey's short comings and poor quality.
    What will you get instead? I'm thinking on those lines too but my apprehension is the hit I'll take. Have to look into it first.
  • chancedogchancedog Member Posts: 2
    Exactly how many is "lots" & where did you get that number? On my way to purchase an exl this week.
  • pithpress1pithpress1 Member Posts: 1
    I have two 2011's and only when the first was brand new did the message come on once and has never come on since. I attributed it to sitting in the car lot for some time. Now, 8 months later, and no trouble.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    This is why I never buy the first model year of a major revision. For any car company. I have a 2006 Odyssey and outside of routine oil changes, maintenance, and a dead car battery (it was 5 years old) we have never had an issue. Amazing minivan. In a year or two I will pickup this revised model with all the kinks worked out and for under invoice.
    I am still driving my 1995 Odyssey, the very first year it came out and have had no issues with it so the so called theory of never buying a first year model isn't always true.
  • ronandtramronandtram Member Posts: 1
    This is a great website. I just called American Honda Motor Co, Tel: (800) 999-1009 (press 7 to report a problem) and spoke with a Regional Mgr. No fix yet, which is ridiculous but at least I started another complaint. I encourage everyone with this problem to do the same... it will only help get the problem solved sooner.
    The phone number for Canadian customers is different. I will post it soon as soon as I find it again.
  • jmj344jmj344 Member Posts: 1
    I am posting a section of another frustrated owner's suggestions on what to do to make Honda take responsibility. Please pass this along...

Whether you contact your Honda dealer service department or not (and whether you bring it in for service or not), I and many other Odyssey owners STRONGLY recommend that you call or otherwise contact Honda's corporate Customer Service and let them know you are experiencing this problem and that you fully expect Honda to investigate and develop a fix to this design defect:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    Honda Automobile Customer Service
    Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
    1919 Torrance Boulevard
    Torrance, California 90501-2746

Tel: (800) 999-1009 (press 7 to report a problem)

In doing this you will get your problem on record (they will give you a "case number") and you will add to the growing list of customers who find the current corporate response by Honda to be unacceptable. Be sure to let them know that you view this as some kind of defect with the vehicle and I would also encourage you to also let them know how disappointed you are in the fact that Honda's quality / customer service reputation can no longer be trusted or held in such high regard.

If you wish to go even further, tell the customer service representative that although you appreciate their taking the time to record your complaint and provide a case number, you wish to "elevate your customer service complaint" by having a regional customer service manager at American Honda contact you back to discuss the status of this complaint and what you expect American Honda to do about it. Remember, you paid a LOT of money for a brand new Honda Odyssey vehicle that should not be experiencing this kind of problem!
    The number for Canadian customers is 1 888 946 6329. I don't know where in Canada they are located as I never got through after a 5 minute wait on the line.
  • kris100kris100 Member Posts: 2
    Experiencing vibration/rumble at speeds 30+ on Ody 2011, torque converter replace a few months ago but problem still exist at speeds of 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, etc. engineer reports problems pointing to VCM. It feels horrible at 65-70 highway mileage and very annoying – given it’s a new vehicle. Hoping Honda finds a resolution.
    Oh dear,

That is not sounding good. I got a recall for my wiper arm. Anyone else get that? I'm in Canada. I wrote to Honda Canada to complain about the low battery warning signal that keeps lighting up my life. The lady on the phone told me that this is normal for this model. I told her she is severely mistaken and off her rocker. I'm not impressed considering I am still driving my 1995 Ody and never had a problem ever out of the ordinary.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I got a recall for my wiper arm.

Looks like that for something simple. The connecting rod on the wiper may be damaged if the wipers are turned on when frozen onto the windshield.
  • kris100kris100 Member Posts: 2
    Yes I did. This is a standard recall for all 2011.
    I got the wiper recall, the radio software update and an oil change, all done in about 90 minutes.
  • beerman8beerman8 Member Posts: 4
    I'm in Canada and yes, I also received the recall for the wiper arm, but haven't bothered with it yet as I figured I would get it done when I get my first oil change. (still have 30% oil life, at 6500+km.).
    I, too, am getting tired of that damn low battery signal, but I just ignore it and walk away from the car. This is my sixth Ody, and I must say, the worst yet!
    Bought it in December /10 and from the get-go the ride was rough, and it wasn't only due to the cold winter and unplowed roads we had. Took the salesman out with me in my van, and then in their demo and he agreed it was rough riding. Also, there seems to be more wind noise on the highway than my 08 (or others).
    Thank goodness for this forum to let one blow off some steam.
  • gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    That's odd. I've test driven 3 different trim levels of the '11 Odyssey line and found them all to handle soft & spongy compared to the '10 & earlier editions. I was hoping this would get addressed (along with the wipers, battery light, etc) in the '12s. Did he have a solution to your rough riding problem?
  • beerman8beerman8 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    No, he had no explanation. It was winter, and it felt like there were square tires and frozen shocks, even after running for 30 minutes or so. This is the touring model, as was my 08. Now that warmer(?) weather is here, it seems to ride okay, but there is still the wind noise. Oh well, c'et la vie!
    Wow. That is a lot of Oddies. Did you write a complaint to Honda Canada about the low battery signal and all those other concerns you have? I believe in the squeaky wheel gets the grease and if more of us write to them then perhaps they will get off their duffs and find a fix. You have a better metre stick by which you can compare your 2011 because of all your other Oddies. My first one is almost 16 years old so switching to the 2011 was a huge leap for me so I won't notice too many irregularities so your input is appreciated and important.

QV
  • wdwluvrwdwluvr Member Posts: 3
    I've had my '11 Odyssey for five month, have about 4000 miles on it. When I back up and turn the wheel, like out of a parking spot, i can hear a "creaking" noise in the front, both sides, depending on which way I'm turning. This will also happen when stopping slightly and making a turn.

Dealer retightened all sub frame bolts, lower control arm bolts, steering rack bolts, strut bolts amd mounts. They said they talked to Honda Rep and honda is aware of the problem, they're looking into it.

Here's the thing, I have no idea what any of that means, and while the noise it not as severe, it's still there. Do I keep taking back and complaining, call Honda??
  • runnur6913runnur6913 Member Posts: 16
    I have the same problem, mine was making that noise @ 2k miles. I have'nt brought it to the dealer yet. I will do so soon, I will keep you inform if issue is taken care of.
    Well my noise did start around 2k, I just now have 4k on it.
    Mine started doing a little squeak but its very intermittent and it started a couple of weeks ago, at almost 7k miles and 8 months old. It sounds like the front suspension but it hasn't been frequent enough to spot the issue. Its only happened about half a dozen times and most of those we had the vehicle fully loaded with people.
    Interesting. I haven't noticed that on mine yet but I will pay more attention. Gosh all these problems with this new generation. This shouldn't be happening.
    At this point its not a problem, its a noise. Vehicles make noises for a variety of reasons. I think the Ody is pretty quiet overall. The problem is that a small noise is more noticeable in a quiet car.
  • zeiksodyzeiksody Member Posts: 2
    we have been hearing the same thing on our 2011 Ody. I didn't think much of it but this is the second forum that has metntioned the "creaking or clacking sound when you turn". I almost think it sounds similiar to when a CV joint is going bad. Gonna have it looked at this week.
  • graham766graham766 Member Posts: 12
    TSB 11-038 - Popping, Knocking, or Creaking in the Front While Turning at Low Speeds
    Applies To: 2011 Odyssey – ALL

Supposedly this will fix the issue. I'll find out this week.
    So do the dealers get these messages? Do I just take it back and tell them the number or should I print this out?
  • graham766graham766 Member Posts: 12
    The TSB just came out last week. All dealers should have the info.

My Ody has been creaking for several months, and it is also worse the more passengers there are. Also, seems like more noise that just the front struts area.
    Had my Ody serviced yesterday for the recall on the wiper rod and was told by my Canadian dealer that this bulletin only applies to US vehicles. If the "Canadian" bulletin comes out it probably won't be for a while because we are always lagging behind.

QV