Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Honda Odyssey Discussion

Comments

• siggie1siggie1 Member Posts: 56
    Our Odyssey was assembled in Alabama. According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_assembly_plants Odysseys are not assembled in Canada.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Actually, the Town and Country/Grand Caravan is made in Canada, while the Ody, as the previous poster said, is made in Alabama.

There are issues with lots of cars...and now I've had some issues with the torque converter on my Odyssey. So, reliability-wise, I'm not blown away. That said, the CR reliability reports speak for themselves. And no, they aren't a fluke, or biased against this car or that car. The build quailty of the Chrysler twins is clearly not great--you can tell that just be touching the plastic on the dash.
  • gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    Last time they had a model re-do (2004 -> 2005) here were the MSRP differences:

2004 LX $24,490 2005 LX $25,195 (+2.9%)
    2004 EX $26,990 2004 EX $28,195 (+4.5%)
    2004 EXL $28,490 2005 EXL $30,495 (+7.0%)

So, doing a straight extrapolation:
    2010 LX $26,805 2011 LX $27,585?
    2010 EX $29,905 2011 EX $31,250?
    2010 EXL $33,405 2100 EXL $35,745?

This is a rough guess, they may try to hold the line on prices if the economy stays slow, they may keep the LX under $27k so it looks better, who knows? You won't be getting prices below invoice for the first several months, I'm pretty sure about that.
  • gwrace1gwrace1 Member Posts: 24
    That must be why the Chrysler Minivans have outsold every other make and model. They must be crap because they are American made. Mine was made in St; Louis not Canada. There is always Toyota if you like instant acceleration air bags popping out and brakes that don't work. I was a Consumer Reports subscriber for many years and finally gave up on them. They have such a preconceived perception of quality from the Japanese auto makers that often time new models were highly rated before they were even tested or reliability ratings calculated. Don't tell me they were objective.
  • kohyutakohyuta Member Posts: 16
    Chrysler minivans were the top-selling minivans until 2007, when the Odyssey took the #1 spot. And that was in spite of Chrysler's fleet sales, which can boost sales numbers quite a bit. Chrysler may still have the cumulative lead, but that's because they were the only ones making a minivan for so many years. And even so, having the highest sales numbers doesn't necessarily mean the best quality. McDonald's sells the most meat of any restaurant, but I wouldn't call it a quality meal.

Chrysler invented the minivan, and from 1983 until about 2003 were the best in the business. The competition caught up to them (Ford, Toyota, Honda), and they've been playing catch up. In 2003, we cross-shopped, and we liked the Odyssey the best. Out of curiosity I checked the Chryslers again in 2008, and still liked the Odyssey better.

No one here has said that American-made=crap. As pointed out, the Odyssey is American-made in Alabama. Everyone has different opinions, your Caravan has served you well... great! Our Odyssey has served us well too.
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    What year is your Odyssey? I am interested in buying a 2010, but I wonder if Honda has fixed their transmission/torque converter/soft brake problems.
    We have 2 large dogs, too, but we don't use crates. We put them in safety harnesses and attach the harness to a seat belt.

There is a website (www.dogcars.com) that reviews vehicles for their "dogginess". :)
    You might check out the reviews at www.dogcars.com
    Well, you can believe whatever you want. It is your money. The St. Louis Assembly plant was shut down in October of '08 and hasn't reopened, but...if you makes you feel better to believe that the Dodge and Chrysler are still built there, knock yourself out. The rest of us know that they are all built in Ontario now, but whatever.

And if you want to believe that the Chrysler vans are outselling every other model, again, feel free. The rest of us actually look at sales figures, so we know that the Odyssey has been the best selling van for some time now. Even including fleet sales, which have made up a large percentage (I've seen some estimates that it could be as much as half) of Chrysler minivan sales.

As far as CR--again, whatever floats your boat. The reliability ratings are based on large numbers of user responses so I don't find attacks that they are "biased" to be credible. CR has given several American models good reviews, and one of the most reliable vehicles on the market according to CR is the Ford Fusion. In addition, their "top pick" in the large SUV category is the Chevy Traverse, over the Toyota and Honda.

In the minivan category, yes, they rank the Chrysler twins poorly and the Toyota and Honda highly. As a consumer,. I came to the same conclusion.
  • ajseaglesajseagles Member Posts: 13
    My wife and I would have bought a Routan if the Chrysler were any good, because the technology features were so much cooler than the Odyssey and even the new Sienna, for the money. But when you step up to the better engine (which is necessary for a fair comparison), the Ody is actually cheaper to buy at comparable trim levels. Heck, even the Kia was more expensive (not MSRP but likely actual cost) when putting on the options. My wife liked riding in the Odyssey better than the Sienna - if not it would have been a tough call between the two.
  • tandoritandori Member Posts: 5
    Beware of the metal on the new Hondas. We purchased a new Honda crv 2010 last december (only 4 months ago), and many of the parts on the car are already rusted. Dealor has agreed to replace brakes, but not the other rusted parts. We have a long process with the lemon law ahead of us. We have less than 2 thousand miles on the car.
    Hmm. Sorry about that. I have to say, I've never heard that before. I live in probably the minivan capital of the world--seriously, there's one in every driveway--and I've never seen Odyssey's with that problem. Certainly not doubting you in any way, but it really does sound like you got a lemon. I hope they make it right.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Are you talking about body parts or bare metal components under the car.

If it's the latter, that is pretty common today.
  • ajseaglesajseagles Member Posts: 13
    It's not only common, it's expected in certain climates.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    While waiting to have the oil changed I visited with a salesman who told me the dealers would each be getting one 2011 ODY in about six weeks. He also said he had several orders already for them.

The dealer also did the recall fix for the brakes on my '08 ODY EX-L and did the third transmission software upgrade. So far I feel both fixes are doing the job.
  • minimommyminimommy Member Posts: 13
    An earlier post said that Honda dealers will be getting the first 2011 Odysseys in 6 weeks.... can anyone confirm that? I'll check with my dealer tomorrow. Also said some orders already placed... I don't even know what the interior of new Ody will be like, what colors it will come in (interior/exterior) so how would I order? Do dealers have this info already? I looked at 2011 Sienna and like it (didn't drive it yet) but if Odysseys coming in 6 weeks, I'll definitely wait. Does anyone have other info they can share?? Thank you.
  • lonestarmomlonestarmom Member Posts: 20
    Hmm, 6 weeks. I was told by one of my local dealers that the 2011 would be arriving in September. I sure hope that earlier post is correct, I really wanted to get one by early summer. Did you ever check with your dealer?
    I'm pretty sure that salesman was either mis-informed, or was attempting some lame string-the-customer-along strategy to keep you coming back until Sept. In my personal experience, the latter is more likely.
  • lonestarmomlonestarmom Member Posts: 20
    I kind of had the same thoughts myself after speaking to him, he wanted me to come in and take a look at the 2010s. I think I'll check with other dealers.
  • uphilliuphilli Member Posts: 1
    I called Honda's main customer service line yesterday asking about the 2011 Odyssey. They told me that they expect them in the show rooms late September. Which stinks, since my lease is up on the 08 T&C in August...I'm hoping to extend the lease for 2 months. Otherwise, I may have to look at the Sienna (which isn't a totally bad thing). I'm sure we'll get a good idea of what the Odyssey will look like outside and inside, as well as their familiar trim levels (EX, EX-L, etc).
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    The outside is pretty well known (see the Honda presentation from the Chicago auto show). The inside, not so much.
  • inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    just read on the honda website - the 2011 will also have dual screen entertainment with hdmi inputs .

Should people wait for the 2011 or just go ahead with the 2010?

Also to consider is that - would the dealers be willing to sell between MSRP and invoice or only at the MSRP?
    edited May 2010
    As a comparison, within a 2 months of it's release, Acura dealers were willing to sell the new version of the MDX (2007) for $2,000 below MSRP (about 40% of the way towards invoice). I assume that this was because they were piling up on dealer's lots faster then they were selling. If they can't keep the new odyssey in stock, you'll be forced to pay MSRP for a few months although there could be end-of year dealing to make the quarter's numbers look good. If you want to pay invoice - $1500, you have to get a get a 2010. If you are willing to pay $3000 more to have the latest & greatest, buy a 2011 in Dec. If you are willing to pay $4500 more (i.e MSRP), buy the 2011 on the first day. IMHO
    After a near miss with Toyota Sienna (door problems) combined with the very very cheap interior and poor workmanship - I think I might be willing to 2 to 3 K more than the current Sienna. I am not sure if the Odyssey will have all the modern features that Sienna has - but I am certain that the interior will look like poo after 2 to 3 yrs of use.

I think they really missed the mark on the new Sienna.

remembering that I am in a honda forum - yes it might be better to pay more and get the odyssey.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    Toyota of Poway near San Diego has an ad in today's paper. $2,500.00 off MSRP for all 2011 Siennas in stock if anyone is interested. Didn't take long to get off the MSRP on the 2011s
  • pearliegirlpearliegirl Member Posts: 38
    I picked up my new 2010 EX-L last night, and while waiting, spoke with the Regional Head (Northeast) of a pretty big dealership in the Boston area. I mentioned that we looked at the Sienna becasue of the AWD option, and he said that the 2011 Touring would have it. Great news for us Northeasterners!
    ...spoke with the Regional Head (Northeast) of a pretty big dealership in the Boston area...

Ernie or Herb??
  • bob3089bob3089 Member Posts: 1
    If the 2011 Odyessey is due in showrooms by September, why hasn't Honda released info on the interior? Certainly they must have finalized the design is they expect to retool, manufacture and ship them so that they can be ready for sale in showrooms by Sept. I wonder what is the hold up? Design/mechanical problems?
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    edited June 2010
    If the 2011 Odyessey is due in showrooms by September, why hasn't Honda released info on the interior? ... I wonder what is the hold up?
    Honda is traditionally tight lipped on these changes. More recently, they had a bad experience with the latest CRV intro (sites releasing images before NDAs had run). Watch for spy shots (there's one more recent one at odyclub - one in all black - nice wheels), for now.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    The new odyssey will have an HDMI port for the RES. The nav system will have a 60 GB HDD where 15 GB will be available for music storage. You also get a gracenote CDDB database for identifying songs you can put them on to the HDD. The new RES system will have a 16.2" screen where you can have up to 2 sources side by side, just like the new Sienna. To top it all of you also get a USB port for your iPod or USB device.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    Good news on AWD availability for the Ody, if true. Just the thing I'd like to replace my Pilot with.

Bad news if Touring trim only. Spendy, spendy, spendy... :(

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I would like to think they will have an AWD....but I can't recall where - but I read that the CEO had specifically stated that there will be no AWD option.
  • snackersnacker Member Posts: 1
    If you haven't seen it already, check out Honda's website on the new 2011 Odyssey.

http://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/

Complete with multiple pics of exterior, interior, and videos.

I have to admit, I wasn't that crazy about the concept car, but the actual 2011 model looks really slick. And with some very very innovative and great new technologies.

I am a little bit bummed because I just bought a 2010 Honda Touring (which I am very very happy with by the way) but looking at these pics and videos is making me jealous I didn't wait a bit longer for the 2011 version. However, we really needed the car now, plus I figured I could get a bigger discount on the older version, and plus they say never to buy the 1st year model of a new model's release so the kinks can be worked out. I knew I couldn't wait that long.

But I must say I am tempted to trade in my vehicle in a few years once that happens as this car like a very very well thought out minivan. I wonder what it will look like in real life.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    Great find, thanks for the post. First photos of the interior, I think...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• jagbjagb Member Posts: 2
    When will the delivery of 2011 ex be possible in tx area and what is the price .....
    need to buy bfr change mind to pilot....
  • joefar75joefar75 Member Posts: 46
    Got the email about the 2011 Ody, and Im not impressed. Front end looks like a Civic, and the design is'nt that headturning to me. I got $5200 off of list for a 2010. They're going to raise the price on the 2011 by a few hundred and you'll be lucky to get $1200 off the new model for at least a year.
  • charliesdadcharliesdad Member Posts: 2
    Is it true that you should generally stay away from purchasing the 1st year of a redesigned model? We are planning on purchasing an Odyssey in the spring of 2011, but dont know if we should get the 2010 since it has been time-tested, or go for the new 2011 even though there may be some kinks that need to be worked out in later models. Or maybe that is a non-issue with Honda. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Personally, I don't think Honda is any better or worse with an all new model. It hasn't been released earlier in Japan, so if you go with the '11 you may want to consider an extended warranty after reading all the current Ody blogs like oil consumption. Good luck either way. We like our Ody, but its an '04.
  • charliesdadcharliesdad Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the input!
  • gosaintsgosaints Member Posts: 18
    Can anyone confirm whether the 2011 model will feature a smart key system? I like everything I've seen thus far on the 2011, but the absence of a smart key will unfortunately be a deal breaker, as my wife has become too accustomed to the "keyless go" on our current vehicle. I know Acura has offered a smart key on some of its models since at least 2006, so I think it would be foolish for Honda not to incorporate this feature in the top trim level of its vehicles, especially since Toyota already has. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
  • leaf001leaf001 Member Posts: 10
    From the pictures of the interior of the 2011, the caverous center floor storage compartment is no more? What a huge disappointment! The space was so usefull! What were they thinking?

Kudos on the 2nd row seat though. Being able to put 3 car seats side by side is exactley what we need (with a 2 year old and twins).
  • dogsambamdogsambam Member Posts: 69
    Does anyone know if the 2nd row seats will fold into the floor?
    Does anyone know if the 2nd row seats will fold into the floor?

The answer seems to be no based on this:

http://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/
    Interesting that this would be a deal breaker. I've found many reasons not to have the car running by the time I've hopped in: more exhaust fumes while sitting and when backing out of the driveway or waiting for kids to enter, forgotten items in the house or items I need to remove from the car which I discover upon entering the vehicle leading to several minutes of unnecessary idling, to name a couple. There are times that it would definitely be cool (like impressing young kids with your magical powers), but can't think of a time when it would be a necessity.
  • varusunvarusun Member Posts: 11
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1O4f0jLnWA

Check this for new design inside and out
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think one of the issues with 2nd row folding seats is they have to be smaller to do this. It seems to me that those in the Mopar vans are like 3/4 size seats. I guess its a tradeoff for people to make.
    Gene00, you are confusing a smart key system with a remote start system. The smart key simply allows the convenience of not having to insert a key into the vehicle to unlock/lock it and to start it, so long as the key fob is in the driver's possession. Starting the vehicle is usually by push button. Sensors are located on the exterior door handles so when the driver simply touches the door handle the vehilce locks/unlocks. This feature comes in very handly for drivers with kids, full hands, or women who would otherwise have dig keys from a purse.
    Based on the photos of the 2011 on Honda's website, it's interesting why the side mirrors and rear over-hang are not color-keyed. Anyone have a clue?
    Yes, I was confusing smart key with remote start. Never mind :)