Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Blazer Transmission interchangeably

blazerstudentblazerstudent Member Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet
Can some one tell me an easy way to tell if a 97 blazer transmission will fit my son's 1998, both trucks are 4x4. Thanks in advance

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Should work. I cannot think of any changes that were made in that model year transition that would affect the use of one over the other.
  • duntovduntov Member Posts: 133
    As far as i know thet are directly interchangable, however, the best option is to rebuild the transmiison that in in the vehicle. I know at least one transmission shop that recomends doing that if possible.

If you are going to obtain a good used 1997 Blazer transmission for less than $500 or $600 , and want to install it in a 1998 Blazer, I feel like it is worth the gamble.
  • blazerstudentblazerstudent Member Posts: 4
    Ok, thanks. I had been told that there was a change made, but the person that told me, could not remember if it was 96 or 97 when the change was made. I would have it rebuilt, but if I can change it myself, and get this transmission for $500, I figure I'm saving around $900. Thanks again.
  • duntovduntov Member Posts: 133
    One clue to the interchangability of the 1997 and 1998 Blazer transmissions it that the rebuild kits have the same part number....GM-24247300 which costs $356.93.
  • blazerstudentblazerstudent Member Posts: 4
    Ok , thanks. Never thought to look up part numbers. That makes sense..
This discussion has been closed.