Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL Normal Oil Usage?

Comments

• headgame01headgame01 Member Posts: 15
    Bigmak, Don't expect that to work. I had the issues for about 9-12month and by the time I was done, they did the oil deflector and cleaning, replaced both complete head, replaced the Piston, Rods, Bearings, and rings. I would have been cheaper to replace the engine the first time. They had to remove the engine twice to do all this. The labor alone probably cost more than what the engine would have cost with only one labor charge. Good luck with your issue. Mine is pretty good but they finally fixed it at 90K on my engine. So a new engine rebuild at 90K. I hope at 120K I don't have issues.
  • bigmakbigmak Member Posts: 3
    Weird thing was the last time it happened the check engine lite nor the oil lite even came on. Thankfully I just happened to check the oil cause I was going on vacation. I couldnt even see any oil on the dipstick, and I only put about 200 miles on it since I had picked it up from service dept. Truck only has 45,000 on it,. Hopin for the best. good luck to you too!
  • bigmakbigmak Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up truck from dealer after installation of oil deflector. Got home and just to be sure I checked the oil. Oil was overfilled, was about 1/4 in. above the cross-hatching on the dipstick.Is this bad for my truck and did dealer purposely do this to make consumption not look so bad?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Hello bigmak,
    Per the 2009 Sierra manual, p. 5-16, "Do not add too much oil. If the engine
    has so much oil that the oil level gets above the cross-hatched area that shows the proper operating range, the engine could be damaged."
    I'm sorry that this occurred - if you would like for us to look into anything, please contact us at [email protected] (include your name and contact information ans the last 8 of your VIN).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737
    There is "extra" room by design because people aren't perfect and minor errors do occur. Was the oil level exactly where it should be? Sounds like that is a no. But was it high enough to be a concern, actually, that is also a no.

In the high pressure to turn work at a pace that is way faster than anyone should have to be expected to perform atmosphere of a dealership service department some accuracy issues you are inevitable. The tech simply poured in the entire last bottle of oil instead of stopping with about 1/3rd of it left over. The "dealership" as an entity isn't out to try and sneak something by you as you suggested. This may well be the only thing the tech didn't do perfect while he/she got paid for about 70% of the time that actually gets invested to do the repair.
  • jlove2007jlove2007 Member Posts: 1
    Looks like I too am a victim of this engine. Yesterday while driving my truck started sputtering and all the "brake system" and "traction control" light came on. The vehicle is sputtering and it appears that the fuel management system is acting up. I have noticed lately that I have been consuming more oil. Im at 97k miles, so I better get it in soon. If they give me the run around at the dealership Im not sure what I can do.
    If you insist on being a victim then that's what you will be. Since when did eveyone get the idea that a car is anything other than a machine that requires service and repair on a consistent basis? It's true that much of the blame belongs with any manufacturers or their sales people who attempted to promote their product as not needing as much servicing as the vehicles in the past did. Then another healthy dose of the blame belongs to "consumer experts" who sell their opinions to those who will listen to them as they usually only tell the consumers what the consumers want to hear.

Machines (cars) break and need repaired. An engine that needs oil added at various intervals between services is NORMAL!Those two situations do not make you a victim, they make you a vehicle owner, the only question right now is whether you are a responsible one or not. If I played the consumer expert line and pretended that it isn't normal for an engine to use oil you would be happy to listen to me because it's what you want to hear. Telling you the truth, tactfully or otherwise will likely make this something people who want to make someone else responsible for their problem unhappy.

Now the symptoms you described SUGGEST that your having an issue with one of the wheel speed sensors or it's wiring. That could cause the traction control system to falsely think your experiencing wheel slippage and that could cause the system to reduce the engine power at times. Without feeling the "sputtering" your experiencing frst hand there is no way to know if this is a false traction control issue or if your engine is misfiring. Does your Check Engine light flash, or is it already on?

If this is a misfire and you have a flashing check engine light, you need that car serviced right now, not later. A misfire will in turn damage the catalytic convertor and then you would have an expensive repair on your hands and want to be the victim all over again when you had the ability, as well as the opportunity where you could have done something about it.
  • headgame01headgame01 Member Posts: 15
    To JLOVE2007,

Not sure who you are addressing on the Oil Consumption issue, but I respectfully disagree that oil usage of the level that people are seeing is normal. To use over 1 quart every 1000 miles is not normal. As a matter of FACT if you read the manual and GM policy it is way over what is expected. Also, a FACT is that GM has issued a service bulletin about the oil usage in 2007 5.3 L engines. There are very defined steps that have to be taken to verify this but in most cases they end up basically rebuilding part or all of the engine by the time they are done. So, to sum the Oil issue up that most posts on here are addressing, you need to read them and get a clue as to what they are talking about. If it was not an issue the GM Customer relations would not be on here asking to help with the situation that many dealers refuse to acknowledge exists.

As for the Sputtering Engine piece. You are correct it could be many things and people need to either have the knowledge to evaluate it or take it to someone who does.

Respectfully,

headgame01
  • bobg76bobg76 Member Posts: 6
    My 2007 Yukon XL was consuming more than a quart of oil every 2000 miles beginning around the 65,000 mark. After 40,000 of on going oil consumption monitoring by the dealer and 4 separate procedures on the engine to patch the problem, my engine was finally replaced by GM at 105,000 (about 750 hours). Patients and persistance won out for me this time.
    It's difficult for this discussion to take place without letting emotions get in the way. By what criteria are you making the statement that an engine using oil isn't normal? The vehicles are equipped with a low oil level detection system, as well as the good old fashioned dip-stick. If engines truly never used oil why would they be necessary?

Having been a mechanic/technician since the mid 70's and having personally rebuilt hundreds of engines it's fair to say that I know a little more about them than the average person. I know when they need taken apart and repaired, and I also know when it's a waste of time and money and there has never been a greater waste of resources than I have seen take place when the reported problem is an oil consumption issue, and nothing else.

Let's play with a scenario. You have an engine using a quart of oil in 1000 miles. The oil costs $5.00 a quart. So in 100,000 miles you would spend $500 on oil that needed to be added. Attempting to repair that engine let's put the number at $2000, and lets say it's "successful" and now you only use one quart in 2500 miles. You'd still be spending $200 for replacement oil in the next 100,000 miles plus you have to figure the $2000 for the service work which means you spent $2200 to save $300. Now tell me how that is reasonable.

The only thing that is occurring here is many of the posters want this repair if and only if they can get someone else to pay for it. What you don't see as a "consumer" is you end up paying for all of this in the end because the manufacturer has to pass any costs of doing business right back onto their customers in one way or another. No matter how popular the solution may sound as in "they replaced myengine for free", it may have been free to you at the moment, but every other consumer actually had to chip in and pay for it.

As far as the routine to try and curb the engine oil use rate covered by the bulletins, I'll remind you that I am a professional mechanic and have access to every bulletin ever printed from every manufacturer. If you read the posts in nthei very forum you will find failure, after failure, after failure, to alleviate the concern when following those bulletins. This isn't the first, the only, nor will it be the last time any manufacturer deals with such reports. Trying to fix something that isn't broken results in no change in the vehicles operation. Replacing the engine can of course make a difference for a short time but typically the same neglect that set the stage for the first consumption issue is rarely corrected by an owners service habits and the new engine turns around and eventually suffers the same fate. Meanwhile someone who understands and accepts the situation rolls merrily along at a fraction of the cost of any of the repairs with a vehicle that serves them wonderfully as long as they care for it like they are supposed to.
    I have a customer who has a 2002 Toyota Highlaner that has used about 1qt of oil per 1000 miles for the last four years. She got used to adding oil as required and now has just over 225,000 miles on the car and it's doing just fine. The last time she was in she asked if it will see 300,000 which means she will plan on replacing it in about four more years. There is no reason that I can see that suggests she won't get that far. But she will be adding oil the whole time,with no where near the expense nor the futile effort of trying to "fix" it.
  • lpnp2010lpnp2010 Member Posts: 6
    Good luck getting it resolved!! I have been dealing with the same thing and much much more for over 40k miles now. 6 different oil consumption tests (using anywhere from 3-4.5 qts in 3k miles) all showing problems, "fixed it" multiple times just to have the same issue before the next oil change. Problem is dealers around here want you to drop your car off first thing in the morning and leave it all day for an oil change... when you have kids and a job that’s hard to do. Mine has been nothing but a headache.. problem after problem. I have replaced (all before 100k) motor mounts, throttle control position sensor, battery, sway bar links, ball joints, the power lift gate and power running boards went out, cruise control stopped working, transmission slips ALL THE TIME and I baby this vehicle!! I have always been a "GM" girl, every single vehicle I have owned has been GM same with my husband as well. I normally get bored with a car and change every couple of years but was hoping to have my Yukon to 300k+ like I did my 99 Silverado with the 5.3 (and never had to touch the engine)... BOY WAS I WRONG!! Not only is it junk, but everyone knows they are junk so good luck getting your money back out of it. We are in the market for a new car and my husband REFUSES to buy another GM vehicle and I am on board with him. After repeatedly dealing with GM's "supposed" customer service department and got absolutely nowhere (except to customer service reps that can barely speak English) I don't know what else to do. I leave messages all the time for different reps and never get calls back. I’m told now that the engine really needs to be replaced, it stinks horribly bad of burning oil all the time, exhaust smells like rotten eggs ( cat converter apparently needs to be replaced too) You would think after spending as much money as we do on these vehicles they could at least stand behind their products :(
  • bpritchard68bpritchard68 Member Posts: 7
    looks like you had many of the same issues we have had w/or 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali. We replaced just about everything, the oil we battled from around 40kmiles up to 100k miles. Finally the dealer replaced the piston rings, which seems to have stopped the burning. It still doesn't run like it did earl on, seems sluggish, transmission seem to jerk and slip at times, could never get anything done w/it. Now air-ride system and rear shocks seem to be out. Reported the motor that provides the air but was told that noise was normal...typically challenges you run into when trying to report problem. They want the car all day, then don't fix, you have to keep trying but they act like your crazy at times. Oh well, $55k+ vehicle and nothing but issues. I won't be buying another GM car...always tried to sticko American made cars..always GM but i guess none of them are worth it, nor truly American made in the end.
    I completely agree, it is so frusterating!! Especially when you look at how much money we spend on that GM brand! Its sickening... I wanted to roll my window down and say sorry to someone I pulled up next to at a stoplight today that had just bought a brand new Acaia, but I bit my tongue and kept driving. Eventually consumers / customers will figure it out and be where we are, and GM will be belly up.
    After 40,000 miles and ongoing fixes (4) as well as ongoing oil consumption test, GM finally replaced our engine!!
  • kellygrokellygro Member Posts: 4
    I am so glad I came upon this board! I have an 08 Suburban that has been very dependable, except I noticed increasing oil consumption at about 60,000 miles. I do my own maintenance, so started adding oil sporadically. At about 80,000 miles, it was using about 1 qt per thousand miles. Of course, I didn't know there was a defect in the 5.3 engine, so figured I would have to eat the problem eventually. Of course, now at 108,000 and using 1 qt per 750 miles, I read about the problems with this engine. I called our local dealer(very reputable) and talked to the service lady, told her the miles ect. She understood the problem, said I need a consumption test, and even stated that they would work with me even though the warranty had expired. I went in, and one of the service people on the floor basically showed me the door, said they will not help me out, while admitting they have had many problems with these vehicles! He said, "Once you are over 100,000 you are on your own". I went to the dealers used car lot and was going to trade it on a used 2012 with 20,000 miles on it when my conscience got the best of me. I can't imagine someone else buying what they thought was a dependable vehicle, and running it out of oil before 3000 miles! I called GM and told them my story, got a case number ect. I was instructed to bring it back in and have a diagnostic test performed and possibly an oil consumption test. Question, am I wasting my time? Has anyone had any luck with this problem out of warranty? I am so mad I must have lost 3 hours of sleep last night! GM should have sent a bulletin out to owners telling of this defect, and alerting us to have it checked before the warranty expired. I know, it is not cost effective in the short term, but one person can poison many others about a brand they have had trouble with, and all the advertising in the world will not sway a negative personal testimony!
  • bpritchard68bpritchard68 Member Posts: 7
    Well, you are like many who got screwed the day you bought that vehicle. I went through this from around 40k miles. At first, not really worried given i had extended bumper to bumper to 100k and the engine/drive train is covered to 100k either way. My wife took it in religiously for the oil consumption test. It was burning 1 Q per 3-4k miles, they also do all our maint/oil changes, so as they were doing the oil consumption test, i started to check when she got home. I noticed they added an extra Q each time, so that towards the end of the cycle, it would be close to normal. We dealt with this for well over 1 year, called GM, never got anywhere. Finally they acted like they were going to do me a favor, checked w/the area GM rep and were going to fix this thing. When i picked it up, i questioned what they did, as i was under the impression they might be replacing the engine. NO, all they did was change out some type of splash guard, which they felt oil could slip behind, be burned and cause this symptom. So we are back to oil consumpiton and moniting. Same results, although now i'm up in the 80 miles range and it's burning 1Q for every 1K miles. Couldn't believe it wasn't smoking but it was surely burning. Contacted GM again, dealer, got nowhere. I finally took it back to the dealer i actually purchased it from, they quickly took it in to check things out. We picked it up, asked what they did. They actually replaced the pistons/rings, which was more work than anyone really did. At this point, i'm closing in on 100k miles. It doesn't appear to be burning oil like it had, so i was somewhat relived that i finally got something done. Looking back, they should have replaced this engine and should still do so. I'm over 100k so that's never going to happen. I worry it's just a matter of time. It doesn't have the power it did early on, which is why i purchased, spend the money and higher fuel expense to have the Denali. You better find some way soon to have them fix yours.. all the test will just prolong the same results.
    Ya, I was afraid of that! Glad you got yours taken care of. I'll keep posting to let everyone know what happens. Wish I would have seen this board two years ago!
    Well bad news! The service manager called me before my appointment and said it would be a waste of time. He said GM will NOT stand behind me on the oil consumption issue out of warranty. Guess I will just keep adding oil until the thing hatches and go from there! Anybody have some suggestions? Ford, Toyota? I know Nissan is not the answer!
    Oil consumption is covered under the 100,000 drive trane warranty. Go back to your service manager...
    I myself have went back to my "service manager" multiple times.. and have gotten nowhere with them. the dealership is the small guy. GM needs to step up and do right or they will be loosing a lot of customers...
    Well, after talking to another service manager from another dealer, and GM, I decided to try some Rislone, and AT-205 Re seal added with the oil. After 1100 miles, I am pleased to report that the oil has not moved on the stick! I am going on a 3000 mile trip out east over the holidays, so will give a report on the oil use when I get back. 110,000 miles on the 5.3 now
  • suek2008suek2008 Member Posts: 2
    How did you get GM to replace your engine? I brought my Yukon 2008 in while still covered under warranty with the oil consumption issue that EVERYONE is describing. I burn 1 quart every 1000miles. valve cover fix and cleaning did not work. Now they want to do the pistons but say that they will do this and no more. OR I can pay $3000 for engine replacement. Why do I need to pay to have my vehicle which was under extended warranty fixed? This is a known problem. Why are they not standing behind their product. Also I paid money for the GM APP and they are not standing behind that. Dealer says they wouldn't be comfortable replacing pistons and rings and having everything work after this. Real comforthing.... I only purchased Toyotas before this. Loved this Yukon but I can not afford vehicles like this when they don't work right. Really 1 quart every 1000 miles. Any help in this engine replacement would be really appreciated.
  • suek2008suek2008 Member Posts: 2
    I am posting on every website and will post to all my facebook friends soon. I am trying to understand how GM rep can say that they will not continue to try to fix my Yukon 2008 that I brought into a dealership while covered under the extended warranty that I paid extra money for. They put in the modified value cover and did the cleaning process on my Yukon to resovle the 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles from burning. This did not work. They said that they will do the pistons and rings but will not continue with fixes if this doesn't work. How can this be? I brought it in under warranty when this problem started and the problem has not improved at all. They say they will replace my engine if I pay $3000 for it. Does this sound right to anyone?? My husband had a Nissan once with the extended warranty and they didn't even hesistate on replacing that engine when it had a problem. I had Toyotas prior to this and have never had this type of very serious issue. Buring 1qt per 1000 miles is crazy. Why won't they stand behind their product??? I thought this was the best vehicle that I owned prior to these issues. I'm very concerned and very disapointed especially since I'd like to stay with American made.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Are you already in contact with Customer Assistance, suek2008? Let us know if we can check into anything further by contacting us at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation so far).

What difference will it make? Your customer service center tells us customers "I am so sorry for the inconvience" then you ask us to take it to a Certified GM dealership and have it diagnosed at anywhere from $104 - $200 out of our pocket so you can have "confirmation" that your products suck. This is more than an inconvience for us customers... This is a problem you are well aware of and it BS that GM hasnt taken the steps to resolve the issue and to take care of your customers (some who spent $60,000 on a heap of metal and plastic that wont even make it to 150,000 miles!)
  • jgooglejgoogle Member Posts: 5
    My 2008 Yukon had similar systems as message #192. The difference was the outcome. My engine blew! There has got to be a remedy here from GM. I changed the oil regularly and kept it in good condition. 114,000 miles on it but cared for it. DAM!
    jgoogle,
    We can check into any available options if you wanted to contact us via email at [email protected] with more information (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation). We cannot guarantee the outcome of the inquiry, but we will look into this thoroughly.
    edited May 2013
    I see the growing number of complaints on this site alone. I also see a lot of people talking Toyota and Nissan. I have always did my best, without knowing all the facts about the origin of "American" cars, to support my fellow citizens in my purchasing of American cars. I didn't know all the facts then, and I just assume not. But this is not the American way. GM, we need you to bail us out, bail out being the key words here. We bought your product and it failed. And the money you are wasting on training your Service Advisors on how to give us, the American consumers, the run a round, could be better spent on training your engineers who created this problem to come up with a better product in the future. But right now, you need to stand up and back up the people who backed you throughout the highs and lows of the economy.
  • kwoerfelkwoerfel Member Posts: 1
    What is the GM recommended process for proceeding, gaining info/repairs, or dealing with this problem?
    I purchased my 2007 used Yukon XL in late May 2011 with approximately 52,000 miles on it. I have had a 1997 Suburban (got to over 190,000 miles on it and then it was totaled after the engine started on fire) and a 2001 Yukon XL. I still have the 01 and it has over 160K miles. I never needed to put oil in these vehicles in between oil changes. I now need to carry a case of oil with me at all times. I had the car just over a month and saw the Low Oil message. I checked the oil and it didn't register any oil. I filled and then saw these concerns online. I then checked my oil at every fill up of gas. I have to replace one to two quarts every few thousand miles. It is always dirty brown except just after an oil change. I have gotten regular oil changes since then (every 3000-4000 miles). I now have over 88,000 miles on the car. I love this car except for this problem. I have addressed this concern with the dealership at almost all of my other repair visits. They have told me they are not aware of any issues with these engines. I would just like to know what GM recommends for action on my part to make sure I do whatever is needed to make sure this vehicle lasts at least another 100k miles. I am a dedicated Yukon XL owner and would like to continue to be but I am now wary of buying another one, especially if GM maintains their position that nothing is wrong with EVERYONE'S 07 Yukon XL engines.........
    Your dealer is not being honest with you.. and if they are I would find a different dealership. Any dealer service dept I have spoke to about my 2007 Yukon XL knows about the excessive oil consumption but have never seen the degree of usage mine has. They need to do an oil consumption test but good luck getting GM to do anything at all about the issue. They just pass the buck and make excuses.. like "it's completely normal to use over 2qts of oil in less than 2k miles" which is absolute BS!! Hopefully you get futher than I have in the last 2 years.
    Hi kwoerfel,

I would also suggest visiting another dealership if you are unsatisfied with the service. If you need any further assistance with this issue please email me at [email protected] ATTN Amber. We'd be happy to help you as best we can.

Sincerely,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    Well, I got to tell you, I never thought, in a million years that GM, an American company would turn their back on the consumer who bailed them out and kept them alive all this time. But they did, and you may want to prepare for a long wait. Because ol Amber here is the first of many who will be giving you a buffet of B.S. So I hope you are hungry.
    I don't know what the laws are for fraud there in your state, but if you don't want to waste your time, don't consult another dealership. Consult a law firm! How did Toyota and Honda pass GM by in volume? I think that compassion and honor have a lot to do with it. GM, You should be ashamed of yourselves!
    edited June 2013
    I have read a great deal of recent complaints on this and other forums. My car sits at a dealership here in Riverside CA. Who had nothing to do with the sale nor did they give me bad service. I was directed there by a GM Service person, such the one assisting most everyone in this forum, for a diagnostic test. The outcome is collapsed lifters. the same as the earlier problem that led me to my first rebuild. I am making two car payments now, one for the Yukon and one to Enterprise car rental. I have opted out of the game playing and have retained a lawyer. With no time or money to play the dealership to dealership oil pressure or whatever tests I see a lot of folks on here being forced to do, I hope that this lawyer gets me some justification after being ripped off by this so called American car company. After watching the crack heads on the job over there on 60 minutes or some investigative news show, the only thing American about this company is the American dollars they received in the bail out we were forced to give them. I will keep you posted on the outcome of my situation.
    What is wrong here? What is it with GM? They will do everything to dance around the issue instead of dealing with it. I know, just from this site and the others I review that GM has lost a tremendous customer base. I never thought in my life time that this would happened. How scandalous has Big Corporate become. If I worked there and saw what was happening outside of factories and offices you are encaged in, I would seriously worry about your career. Is GM so big, that a few thousand unhappy customers would not make a dent in "The bottom line"? remember when "Do the right thing" was the honorable reaction? Remember how we, as a nation would look down on imports because it just wasn't the American way? Well, I haven't really heard any issues with Japan's big 3. After Toyota's recall issue. And what happened to that CEO? I think jail time, maybe not. But public disgrace and humiliation at the very least. GM? Oh yeah, we bailed them out. Paid for our own inconveniences. In advance. What a joke. I am not laughing though, and I bet not too many people are. Accept of course, GM, all the way to the bank!
  • valkyrief6valkyrief6 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2008. Service manager told me that he had 3 others in the shop with the same problem. He said that the v8 dropping off to 4 cylinders that the 4 dead were not oiling the cam and causing it to wear out. It also causes a low idle skip and with time this wear can cause ring damage to the pistons. My yukon only had 60000 miles, but was over 5 years old. GM agreed to pay 60/40 on the coverage. Mine did not have excessive oil use at the time, so they did not replace the rings on the pistons. However now at 74500 miles I have the low idle skip and very high oil usage, that started suddenly. I agree, I think GM should admitt there is a problem with design. I never got an answer from them if the change out of cam, lifters and rings will ensure that this is not just going to repeat itself.
    gm needs to stop pawning people off and assuming they will just go away. I emailed their VP about my yukon and all the issues I have had with it and got no where... but a $5,000 certificate to use towards the purchase of a brand new one. my thing is why do I want to spend 65,000 on a vehicle that they arent standing behind now. PLUS nobody wants to give me more than 9,000 for an 07 with 150k for trade in because of the excessive oil consumption issues. im tired of the bs and being the issues being down played by GM... maybe its time to get everyone on here to file a class action suit against GM.. that seems to be the only way to force them to fix the issue we are all having.
  • dbrasco1dbrasco1 Member Posts: 1
    Noticed oil consumption problems 15K ago when the truck started knocking. Turns out 2500 miles into an oil change I was 3 quarts low. Opened a case with GM, the closest dealership is 25 miles away (and in traffic that means 45 minutes one way). There is a Chevy dealership across the road but it had to be GMC according to them. I brought the vehicle to them 6 times, each time it was 1.5 quarts low after less than 1000 miles. They told me I needed to bring it every 500 miles but couldnt tell me how long I was going to have to do it for. Taking my own measurements wasnt going to be valid. I called GM to see if I could take it to a closer dealer (which would have to be Chevy - what's the big deal here - it's the same engine maker right?) they checked around and said no, I would need to take it to the original GMC dealer because "they were overbooked." Really? Overbooked for an oil consumption test? So now I am stuck having to try to get to a dealership that can be up to an 1.5 hour roundtrip every week or 2 and they can't tell me how long I need to do this for.

Obviously this is a problem - you can read about it in various places on the internet. They have 6 readings which all were low after 1000 miles (they tried telling me it's normal to burn a qt every 1000 miles - i laughed - my 2002 Denali never burned an ounce). I think what they are trying to do is make it an inconvenient as possible so that I just forget about it. I'm going to forget about it all right - I'm going to sell it and never look back on GM. Their quality is suspect, their service is lousy, and they dont stand behind their products. I'm sure they could care less about "losing a customer" but I wont buy GM again and I definitely will steer people away if ever asked.
  • jrudolph98jrudolph98 Member Posts: 1

Hey everybody! Like all of you, our 2007 Gmc yukon burned 2 quarts between oil changes. The truck had 140,000 miles when it just started burning oil... I've looked around on Google and have found out that the main cause of the oil consumption was the active fuel management. There are aftermarket parts that can make it so it will disable the active fuel management. After this was done it doesn't burn any oil.

• vayukonvayukon Member Posts: 1

I am having my 2010 yukonxl with 93k miles in for the piston and ring replacement. Went through a few oil consumptions and there was a problem. Will check back once I get this done.
    Are there any engines that do not use oil? The dealership was business like but showed some attention to me . Do you think this will fix the problem or am I better off dumping it and buying a F150 King Ranch

@vayukon said:
    I am having my 2010 yukonxl with 93k miles in for the piston and ring replacement. Went through a few oil consumptions and there was a problem. Will check back once I get this done.
    Are there any engines that do not use oil? The dealership was business like but showed some attention to me . Do you think this will fix the problem or am I better off dumping it and buying a F150 King Ranch

Hi vayukon,

Please keep us posted on your dealership visit. We're sorry that you've had to return for service, but we hope that your dealer is able to resolve this matter for you. If you have any additional questions or inquiries during this time, please do not hesitate to send us a message.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• astroissieastroissie Member Posts: 1

I just finished my last consumption test on my 2008 yukon which has about 83,645 miles, its seems that I will need to have my car engine taken apart and possibly have my pistons replaced. The gmc repair shop has just stated that since vehicle is no longer under warranty and its been 425 days since warranty expired, gmc will only cover 45% of repair cost and I will need to come up with 55% of the remaining cost. This yukon has burnt oil and I really do not feel that this is fair to me the owner for a "defect" according to me. This seems to be a very common problem with Gmc yukon apart from other issues with the locks and windows on my car. I feel cheated that this vehicle is not fully covered as stated 100,000 miles . I dont have 55% percent to cough up.

• d3kd3k Member Posts: 3

We have a 2007 Yukon Denali XL and are also experiencing a host of issues, along with high oil consumption. Our issue is that our local dealership keeps wanting to charge us a diagnostic fee for each issue, which would be nearly $800. In addition to the high oil consumption we have a host of electrical problems and transmission problems.
    When we purchased the vehicle it was in the dealership 13 times in the first few months for problems. Our dealership told us they'd find us another vehicle (we purchased Certified GM Used) and they never followed through. We had nearly 100 calls to them for updates and they told us our vehicle was "too rare" and he had his guy searching 13 states. We have a white Yukon Denali XL. We see about 4 per day where we live. Not so "rare". We're so disappointed. We purchased this vehicle to tow our travel trailer and take trips with our family. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to tow for nearly 2 years due to all the issues that the dealership can't seem to fix. They just want to "guess" at the repairs and hope it works, meanwhile charging us astronomical amounts of money. So bummed.

• sandlapprsandlappr Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2014

I too have this oil consumption issue with my 2009 Yukon SLT with 52,000 miles. I first discovered the issue in the upper 30K mile range when it suddenly lost considerable power. I later discovered that the oil was being consumed by the engine after the dashboard light came on. The dealership service center required that I go through the oil consumption test whereby they determined it was consuming about 3/4 quart per thousand miles. They then agreed to replace the oil deflector per the service bulletin, stating that it should resolve the issue. Now, at 52K miles the vehicle appears to be consuming much more oil, approximately 1 quart per 1200 miles by my estimation. Aside from that, it appears that the dashboard light no longer illuminates to warn of low oil level/pressure. I returned to the dealer today with 4 months left on my warranty, and of course they want to go through the oil consumption test again. GM is obviously aware of this issue with the AFM engine and they are aware that the only complete solution is to replace the engine. I feel that at best they will only replace the rings, lifters and pistons which is only a temporary fix that addresses the negative affects of the problem, not the problem itself. I am dumbfounded by their claim that 1 quart of oil consumption per 2000 miles is normal. Would GM make this claim if oil was leaking onto the ground instead of internally? If this is "normal" then what is the point of having the oil changed as it will continually be topped off with fresh oil? If this is "normal" then GM should be required to disclose this information up front and list the "oil economy" figure along with the fuel economy figure.

Given the number of cases I have found simply by looking through various forums online, I am surprised that there is not yet a class action lawsuit filed against GM for this issue. [non-permissible content removed].
    Thank you

@sandlappr said:
    I too have this oil consumption issue with my 2009 Yukon SLT with 52,000 miles. I first discovered the issue in the upper 30K mile range when it suddenly lost considerable power. I later discovered that the oil was being consumed by the engine after the dashboard light came on. The dealership service center required that I go through the oil consumption test whereby they determined it was consuming about 3/4 quart per thousand miles. They then agreed to replace the oil deflector per the service bulletin, stating that it should resolve the issue. Now, at 52K miles the vehicle appears to be consuming much more oil, approximately 1 quart per 1200 miles by my estimation. Aside from that, it appears that the dashboard light no longer illuminates to warn of low oil level/pressure. I returned to the dealer today with 4 months left on my warranty, and of course they want to go through the oil consumption test again. GM is obviously aware of this issue with the AFM engine and they are aware that the only complete solution is to replace the engine. I feel that at best they will only replace the rings, lifters and pistons which is only a temporary fix that addresses the negative affects of the problem, not the problem itself. I am dumbfounded by their claim that 1 quart of oil consumption per 2000 miles is normal. Would GM make this claim if oil was leaking onto the ground instead of internally? If this is "normal" then what is the point of having the oil changed as it will continually be topped off with fresh oil? If this is "normal" then GM should be required to disclose this information up front and list the "oil economy" figure along with the fuel economy figure.

Given the number of cases I have found simply by looking through various forums online, I am surprised that there is not yet a class action lawsuit filed against GM for this issue. [non-permissible content removed].
    Thank you

Good morning sandlappr,

I’m sorry to hear your Yukon is experiencing oil consumptions issues. I’d be happy to get in touch with your dealer and get more information on your concern. If you’d like, please send us an email to [email protected] att: Claudia; with your VIN, current mileage, full contact information and involved dealer.

Regards,

Claudia
    GM Customer Care

• nick7380nick7380 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Yukon XL with 92310 Miles and with 40% left til Oil needs changing. the dipstick is dry. Sent it to dealership for Oil Change and Oil Comsumption test.
  • docs2009docs2009 Member Posts: 1
    Wow! I knew a lot of people have these issues but not this many. We have a 2009 GMC Yukon XL with 76,000 miles. We had the oil consumption issues (and issues related to it like noisy lifters) going way back and the same "we would have to do the test" or it's not that far from "normal" consumption comments from the dealer for years.

Well, it all came to a head last week when the Yukon started smoking on startup last week and we took it in to the dealership yet again. This time it was definitely time for serious action. Pistons, Rings, Valve cover, Oil Deflectors, Lifters, etc. $4,100.

"But I'm sorry you are out of warranty by 20 days." "GM will help however and cover all but $1,000 of the repairs."

No, I'm sorry. That is not fair. If I would have brought it in three weeks earlier everything would have been covered. This is a pattern failure folks. GM has been aware of this for years. Their own TSB has been revised 5 or 6 times already (now TSB# 10-06-01-008G). They knew of the issues with my vehicle and documented it over the years.

We have always owned GM vehicles. 2 Chevy Blazers, 2 Tahoes, 3 Suburbans, 1 Yukon denali and this Yukon XL, etc. We have been happy with them in the past but their refusal to pay this entire repair is unacceptable and really makes you think twice about ever going GM again.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Not fair?

You have a six year old car with 76,000 miles and you can get a total engine overhaul for 1000.00??

I must be missing something here.
  • beechnut72beechnut72 Member Posts: 2
    A friend of ours had a 2008 GMC Yukon and had started having the high oil consumption problem. They took their vehicle to the dealer and were told it was their engine. The dealer told them it was because of the engine switching from V8 mode to V4 mode. They told them it was a bad design and when the engine would go to V4 mode it was causing problems with the other 4 cylinders that were not being used. Not sure how that whole thing works but they told them this was the problem and the only way to fix it was to replace the engine. They bought a new vehicle instead. I own a 2007 Yukon and was hoping this wouldn't be a problem. Well I have 119,000 miles on it and have put 2 quarts of oil in it now in the last 2 weeks.

My question is if the GMC dealers know this is a problem why hasn't there been anything done about it?
    What oil have you been using in your truck? Be very specific.