Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Troubleshooting Liberty Vibration under Power

rc777rc777 Member Posts: 3
02 Liberty Sport 117k miles has recently started vibrating around 38 mph whenever I am pulling any power.

If I let off the throttle, the vibration pretty much goes away
and I think it gets smoother also around 65mph, although I havent been able to drive on highway recently.

Banged over some pretty big snowbanks last storm, so its possible I loosened something up underneath, perhaps driveshaft, muffler, ?

Vibration is almost like a resonance, but I can feel it in the wheel and can hear the dash rattle.

How do I troubleshoot what is causing this?

thanks!

Comments

• caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    I know 40mph is a critical speed for wheel balancing; could you be in this case?
  • rc777rc777 Member Posts: 3
    Wouldn't think it was tire/wheel related since it occurs under power and when the throttle is released it goes away. BTW, should have mentioned its 4wd since there are 2wd's out there.
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    What about a loose engine mounting block or transmission element? I don't remember how the gearbox is connected to the transfer case :confuse:
  • z3pilotz3pilot Member Posts: 2
    I too have a harmonic vibration on my 06 Liberty; appears at 42 mph through about 80 mph, peaks at 57 to 62 big time; pulsating harmonic tone and vibration; dealer has replaced both drive shafts with U-joints, then replaced the Torque Convertor - no help; new tires, front rotors and brakes, no help. Now considering the transfer case but I pay this one; before jumping into that can anyone assist or offer other possibilities; vibration disappears for the most part when you drift on level ground, only noticable under torque. Been to 5 auto repair businesses now - 3 were dealerships and they were pretty clueless and guessing, no one has solution; may try Chassis Ears next as recommended by dealer, but he didn't have that tool, of course. Thanks anyone!
  • klv1968klv1968 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue with my Jeep Liberty 2002. Did you ever figure it out??? Thanks for any insight you can provide!
  • ronnie1955ronnie1955 Member Posts: 1
    i have replaced the sensor in the rear differential and one going to the tranny. still don't work.I was told the inner and outer sensor is the same on my 2002 liberty jeep.