Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sorento Real World MPG

Comments

• Thank you very much.
    I love a big SUV, but the mpg is really hurt!!
    Kia sorento is the only one I ""thought"" very good, but I really worried about the mpg that every "predecessors" said.
    I have 2 days to make the choice.
    I do know 25-26 hwy mpg for this huge SUV is really good, and I love the Sorento inside outside, too.
    So, if the mpg is really really hurt, I may buy a prius V (wegan hybrid), or honda accord (not hybrid, but a huge car).
    If you guys have any thought please tell me, I am a young new guy here.
    thank you agian. Orz :blush:
  • Which one is better???!!!! Real world mpg!!
    I heard kia got around 23-26 mpg how about the honda CR-V
  • chadpro1chadpro1 Posts: 4
    I TRADED IN A 2011 HONDA PILOT FOR THE 2012 SORENTO LX WITH THE CONV. PKG.
    THE CONV. PKG. INCLUDES THE "GDI ENGINE, THE NEW 4 CYL. THAT IS SUPPOSED TO GET BETWEEN 22---32 MPG.

IF YOU DRIVE NORMALLY YOU CAN GET GREAT MILAGE.
    THE EPA SUGGESTS THIS MILAGE BUT THE OPTIMAL MPG IS MOST LIKELY BETWEEN 50-60 MPH.

I THINK THAT KIA WILL BE PHASING OUT THE BASIC 4 CYL. SOON.

WITH JUST 240 MILES ON CROSSOVER I TOOK A 1000 MILES TRIP THAT AVG. 29.4 MPG. GETTING 23-24 AROUND MY AREA INCLUDING BACK ROADS/CITY DRIVING.

WITH THE MONEY YOU SAVE BUYING A KIA YOU CAN MOST LIKELY SAVE $5000 BUYING IT RATHER THAN THE PRIUS.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR DECISION.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 383
    My suggestion is to look at the Ford Edge Ecoboost. 4 cylinder turbo with 240HP rated 21 city and 30 Highway. More second row legroom than most Mid sized Suv's. I know because I own a 2011 Sorento EX V6 FWD which I am considering trading in for a 2012 Edge Limited Ecoboost with Panoramic Roof and 20" Chrome Wheels. Got a good offer on the trade of $23,000 for my Sorento which I only paid $28,106 otd for with a MSRP of $31,100 in June of 2010. I can get the Edge at invoice with a $1750 rebate with the trade. Looking at $41,225 MSRP buying for $38905 then the rebate and trade. Cost more but a more solid feeling vehicle I think.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Posts: 113
    my 2011 sorento was made the first week the plant was open. built 10/29/2009. bought 3/8/2010. two plus years and 28k miles it has been perfect. ex v6. highway about 27mpg and averages about 23mpg for our normal driving. in real life v6 gets pretty close to the mileage of the 4cyl and alot more power. bigger engines works easier.
  • joehickjoehick Posts: 28
    As I have posted here, I am getting 12-14mpg city, and about 18-19mpg highway. I have written and talked to KIA executive offices and was mailed a brochure on how to drive for better mileage, and a conversation that ended with there are "mileage variables"Great Co. response!!!! I am considering legal action that will undoubtley bring negative attention to the car and the Co. esp. the way they back up there product..
    Don't buy either, they don't stand behind there cars
  • lanshilanshi Posts: 22
    I have tried talking to managers and Co Execs, got the same lame answer as you did. They don't care as long as they sold the vehicle. I am getting 26 on the highway and was told 32. I hope we can do something more. :mad:
  • ediamiamediamiam Posts: 17
    about highway miles..I've noticed a recent trend when it started getting warmer in N.California. I was getting about 27 highway and most recently about 29, resetting the mileage calc such that it is based off of all freeway driving, about 70 mph. Today on the same stretch, it was hitting 32 consistently with temp about mid80s. I currently have about 11k miles. I drive consistently, don't get on the accelerator, always see the eco green light on. This only works on the flats. Going up the hill is like 23 mpg, just like in mixed city/highway.
    Boy That is great, I was told by KIA to do a fuel consuption test by my serviced dealer. He told me there is no such thing and that the only test to do is a highway test as you mentioned. I did it. Set my cruise on 60 for 15-25 miles and got a WOPPIN 15.9 MPG. Great vechicle Going to bring this to the attention of the media via the courts
  • Congratulations. I too consistently get 32 mpg on flat interstate at 65 to 70 mph. Down to about 28 when driving in the Texas hill country. 4400 miles on a '12 EX.
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    I tend to agree. I have owned both Kia's and Hyundai's, and Hyundai has always supported their customers far better than Kia, even though they are basically the same company. Go figure.
  • agostoagosto Posts: 5
    I purchased a Kia Sorento EX FWD with convenience package and the 2.4L 4-cyl GDI Engine back in december. The biggest selling point for me was, besides the long warranty, the estimated MPG with the 4-cyl GDI engine.
    I have done 5700 miles and I am ready for my first maintenance visit to the dealer. I just came from a road trip to Orlando, FL. On my way back to Miami, I was getting (at the end of the trip), 22.9 MPG cruising on the highway!. That is horrible, way lower that the advertised: 26 to 38 MPG (Averaged 32 MPG!). Around the city I have to be very happy getting 20MPG. I always drive very carefully and smoothy and always have the ECO light on that tells you that you are driving with the most favorable conditions for fuel economy. I like the car, but I feel literally robbed. I will not buy a KIA again and certainly will not recommend it to somebody looking for good fuel economy. The worst part is that this company totally mislead you. How can the get away with that?. Shame on KIA.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 383
    Those are Government estimates. Kia isn't getting away with anything. I would take it to the dealer and try to get some idea why your driving style isn't getting the mileage out of the vehicle you should get. Or maybe it was the gas you used. Maybe the engine needs some tweaking. I have always thought that having a 4 cylinder in a vehicle that weighs 3900lbs was too little. I had the 6 in my 2011 Sorento EX and got about 25 mpg driving in very hilly terrain. The city mpg of about 16 to 17 was always lacking. In fact I am getting the same city mpg in a 4200lb 2012 Highlander 4WD V6. I got rid of my Sorento not because of the mileage, but because of the ridiculous amount of rattles and the extremely harsh ride.
    I have talked to the dealer and asked the manager to call me but needless to say it is just like their false advertising on the windows they don't call you back. I talked to the service department and they were honest enough to say I would never get what they say you should expect 20% lower. I have 17,000 on mine and it is only getting 26 so don't let them say when you get more mileage it will change as it hasn't yet. Sorry that I listen to the salesman and am thinking about trading it in back to Nissan. :sick:
    Something is definitely wrong with your vehicle. I have a 09 Kia Borrego AWD/4x4 (V6), a 5000+ lb truck that gets 21 mpg at 75 mph with the AC on. We just bought a Sorento with the 4 cyl GDI to supplement the Borrego. It is still being broken in, but around town, we are getting 20-21 mpg. The few times we have been on the highway, the mpg was 28-29 with the AC on. For sure, IMHO, something is off on your vehicle. After driving, check the wheels by touch on your sorento. If the brakes adjustment is off, one or more of the wheels will be hot to the touch, and that could impede your mileage. A bad wheel bearing would also be similar, but you would probably hear that. . Also, make sure your tires are properly inflated, but that would be something the dealer should have checked for already. Good luck.
    How fuel economy estimates are determined:
    The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) acknowledges that their fuel economy estimates will
    vary from actual fuel mileage results in 'Real World' driving conditions. Fuel Economy is not a fixed
    number, it differs significantly based on several variables that can affect mileage estimates.
    All new vehicles are tested by the manufacturer according to guidelines outlined by the EPA, who
    in turn reviews and confirms some of the manufacturers' results with their own additional testing at
    the National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory (NVFEL) in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The vehicle
    tests are conducted according to different schedules to produce City and Highway fuel economy
    ratings.
    City - Represents urban driving. The test starts with the vehicles engine cold. The car is operated
    in such a way as to represent 11 miles of stop and go traffic. The average speed is 20 MPH and
    the top speed is 56 MPH. Periods of idling are also included. The test is completed after 11 miles
    of simulated driving on a dynamometer.
    Highway - Represents a mixture of rural and interstate highway driving. The vehicles engine is
    warmed up before the test begins, and an average speed of approximately 48 MPH is maintained.
    The top speed is 60 MPH, and no intermediate stops or idling is included in the test. The test is
    completed after 10 miles of simulated driving on a dynamometer.
  • onefunkaronefunkar Posts: 113
    gas mileage ratings on the gdi 4 cyl are 22/32 not 38. what does it usuually get on the freeway? were you into a big wind? just took a trip with my 2011 ex v6 and averaged 25 to 27 on highway 70 -80 mph.
    I am not sure what you are referring to as I was just posting the EPA's testing methodology for mileage estimates.
    Yes, something is wrong with my Sorento. 5700miles and 17-19 MPG around town, 21-22 MPG cruising @ 70 on highway with AC on. Everything looks fine. I need to check the break adjustment thing anyway. I will make my complain this week at the dealer, when I go for the first maintenance schedule. Thanks for your reply.
    Believe it or not my friend, gas mileage ratings were posted on a BIG sticker on the windshield of the Sorento I purchased. I still have it as a souvenir and can't believe (makes me very angry and frustrated) that it says, exactly: "HIGHWAY 26-38 MPG (Average 32mpg)
    THAT is robbery, a scam. I am getting 22MPG after 3 hours of cruising @ 70 on the perfectly smooth, straight, sunny (and not windy) Florida's turnpike with the AC on.
    That is a 31% below!. How about KIA giving me back 31% of the price paid because of this false promise? That would be $9000. THAT is a rip off, no matter how you want to dress it up. It was the biggest selling point for me and I am sure that is very important to a lot of customers and prospect customers ( and i don't care nor need a V6, V8 or V12 engine on my family vehicle) I know for sure that KIA is off my list for next cars.
  • mcknigalmcknigal Posts: 5
    edited June 2012
    I'm having similar problems. 2012 Kia Sorrento w/ GDI (convenience package), purchased in early January 2012. Consistently am getting 21-22 mpg. This includes several highway trips, and I drive ~350 miles weekly in Wilmington Delaware with a 50:50 mix of city and highway. And, frankly, the "city" driving is along a major thoroughfare with a 45 mph speed limit.

I started tracking fuel econ after 4000 miles, once I realized something wasn't matching up. Now that I'm up over 11,000 miles, and having tested many different sources of fuel, driving fast, driving slow, driving on cruise control, etc.... I've concluded that it's never going to get anywhere close to the low end estimate for highway (26mpg), much less the average EPA estimate of 32mpg. Still..... I'm WAY lower than I should be. Lower, in fact, than the mean value for city of 22mpg.

I contacted my local dealer (Kia of West Chester, PA), and they put me in touch with the service manager. A couple of months ago they told me the engine needed to "break in" for 10,000 miles. Saturday when I told him the problems I was having, he said I needed 15,000 miles.... but that he'd talk to his Kia rep. Now this morning he's telling me he has been authorized to run a 75 mile test. I work in the fuel additives business and am a Ph.D scientist, and know that running a road test for 75 miles is a random number generator. My 7,000 miles of fuel log data apparently mean nothing.

Right now I'm furious, so banging out this post helps clear my head. Would appreciate any feedback. I feel I am being stonewalled big-time.
    Exactly, it is BS.! I am in the same boat, the best we can do I guess is complain with KIA and create awareness for future customers.
    Shame on KIA
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    edited June 2012
    I am having the same issue with the same type of vehicle at 6,000 miles on the odo. Best I can do is about 26 mpg in highway driving. No way to achieve even 30 mpg, never mind the 32 advertised. I had a 2011 Sonata with the same engine and was getting 35 mpg on the highway regularly so it's not the engine, but the way it has been tuned and matched with the rest of the vehicle. Never expected to match the Sonata because of the extra weight and aerodynamics but it's nowhere close.
  • syatlsyatl Posts: 3
    We just bought this vehicle. 2013 Sorento with 4 cyc GDI engine. I started tracking it since I am a MPG maniac. My first fill up was a mixture of 80 percent city and 20 percent highway and I got 18MPG. Second fill up was mostly city driving and I got 15.5 MPG. Third fill up was 95 percent highway 5 percent city and got 22 MPG. Fuel economy was one of the main reasons on why I considered this vehicle. There are about 10 MPG difference between the average estimated MPG and real life MPG. I just feel like I trashed 27K dollars. Is there a way to contest this? I can even go for a law suit if we can gather enough people. I am going take it to the dealer tomorrow. I am not going to take the BS about putting 10000 miles on it. Salesman at least said 5 times that it receives 32MPG during negotiations.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,794
    edited July 2012
    That's the way it works sometimes. My last new car's mpg was all over the map. (link).

Kia and Hyundai have been getting quite a bit of bad press over mpg ratings not living up to owner's expectations. Well, mostly Hyundai. (CBS)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• syatlsyatl Posts: 3
    Mine already had 700 miles when I got it. Interestingly I received the lowest MPG, 15.5MPG around the same when you received your lowest mileage 1000miles. Very interesting coincidence or may be common in these engines. I am definitely going to talk to the dealer though, just to satisfy myself and get it on the record. I am sure they won't do anything about it.

I have a 09 Camry 4 cyc and it has a 30MPG highway rating. I get around 30-33 each time. Mostly highway with some city driving. It has 50K on it. I did see an improvement since I bought it.( bought it used with 9K on it. It used to get around 28-29 when I bought it). About 3-4 MPG improvement.

10MPG difference between sticker and real world seemed too much on my sorento though. I will keep a proper log like yours and see where we get.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,794
    I had one tank that was worse at 28,000 miles but I think that was some sort of anomaly. Best tank was 29.95 at 90,500 miles. Has always driven me nuts that I never managed to break 30 mpg. Lifetime mixed mpg is running 21.5 at 176k.

This is on a '99 Quest btw.

But yeah, gas logs are kind of fun and can indicate that your car is misbehaving if you experience a sudden, sustained drop. And it might be good ammo in dealing with Kia down the road.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I think we should look at a civil lawsuit but you would have to have it recorded legally that they say you get 32 mpg. I am still getting 26 on the highway which is what I mostly drive. I have 22,000 and never have done close to 32. It is a sale pitch only as you can see from the blogs. The service manager was the one that told me I would get 20% less than what the sticker says. He was honest at least.
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,798
    I have read most of the posts here and I have some observations that I would like to share with all of you.

I have owned numerous cars gas and diesel. My previous vehicle was a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD (common rail diesel). It died an ignominious death after throwing a rod with 77,594 miles on it.

1. There is a break-in period for all engines and it varies depending on the kind of driving you do, the lubricant used and a zillion other variables. The diesel did not reach it's best fuel economy until 20,000 plus miles. We now have a 2010 Mercury Milan with the 4 cylinder and it has 37,400 miles on board. It took to nearly 15,000 miles before fuel economy numbers became consistent.
    2. Kia uses the same basic engine in the Optima and the Sorento. The Optima makes more power too but there are some important differences. For one look at the final drive/axle ratio for each. The Optima is geared higher than the Sorento. Next as a few have pointed out is the weight issue. Ford uses the same 2.5L four in the Fusion and the Escape and the fuel economy difference is not that subtle. Next, an issue few have addressed is aerodynamics. The Sorento is like driving a brick through the air versus the Optima which is quite sleek.
    3. Speed makes a difference. With my Jeep, if I cruised at 62 MPH, it was not uncommon for me to exceed 32 MPG (EPA 26 MPG) calculated and this in a vehicle that weighed more than 4300 pounds with a 2.8L turbo diesel that made 160 HP but 300 ft-lb of torque. If I cruised at 70 MPH then 26 MPG was the rule. With the Mercury, it is pretty much the same but I do miss the torque from the diesel.
    4. The use of conventional lubricants in modern engines in my view is a problem. I prefer and use synthetic lubricants as I have seen a 1 to 1.5 MPG improvement over conventional oils.
    5. I also use a high performance air filter such as those from K&N or from Amsoil. Better breathing helps.
    6. Fuel quality also makes a difference as has been pointed out by a few. I use BP then I get my best performance and fuel economy. If I use Costco or another no name brand fuel economy suffers as well as drivability. Also, make sure your tires are properly inflated and consider running them 10% over what the sticker on the drivers door post calls for.