Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Real World MPG

Comments

• trippingmantrippingman Member Posts: 3
    Hi, Please excuse my ignorance. What are you alluding to here?

"Now they won't even follow up with the test drive they initially offered to do and they have not offered to look at the ECU."

My 2012 Sorrento has 6k, it is a EX AWD 4cyl with Gdi. I'm averaging about 20.5 mpg during combined driving.

I spoke with a local Kia service rep and got the usual runaround. Before I call Kia I want to know ECU means.

Thanks for time.
  • jlauresjlaures Member Posts: 2
    Pick another car, In town is the worst. I can get 26 highway alone flat and no wind or hills. Any intown 13-15 tops
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2012
    Both Kia and Hyundai are getting a reputation for their vehicles not getting the EPA miles per gallon estimates in the real world.

"Hyundai Motor Group's Hyundai and Kia units overstated the fuel economy of about 900,000 vehicles sold in the U.S. since late 2010, the company said Friday, citing an investigation by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

It said it will compensate U.S. buyers for the difference."

Hyundai Retreats on Fuel-Economy Claims (Wall St. Journal)

If the WSJ link doesn't work, try this one at Fox.

"The changes affect 13 models from the 2011 through 2013 model years, including seven Hyundais and six Kias. Window stickers will have to be changed on some versions of Hyundai's Elantra, Sonata Hybrid, Accent, Azera, Genesis, Tucson, Veloster and Santa Fe models, as well as the Kia Sorrento, Rio, Soul, Sportage and Optima Hybrid."
    If you are a Hyundai or Kia owner and have a reaction to the company’s announcement today re: EPA fuel economy ratings, please email PR@edmunds.com today to talk with a reporter.
  • lanshilanshi Member Posts: 22
    I am so glad to hear this, just called and they said you need to put your VIN# in but right now there website is not complete. This is awesome news as the gas mileage is a problem. I went for my 30,000 miles check up and told the saleman now service manager that they lied. Boy he was skirting around the subject, let me get a service tech to check it out. Never did find anything. I am getting 25-26 on highway. ONE WIN FOR US :)
  • mcknigalmcknigal Member Posts: 5
    This is very good news. Thanks for posting. I will *gladly* speak to any reporter who wants to see my detailed mileage log. I will also forward this link to the service manager who, essentially, told me 22 mpg is "in specification".

Side_show_Tom... do you have any comments on this?
  • joehickjoehick Member Posts: 28
    Vindicated.....I have been saying this on this board for 1 year now. the sorrento mpg is terrible. to all who got great mileage,,,i will gladly take your debit card
  • jawilsonjawilson Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2012
    I have been on a trip after having the SA128 upgrade to my GDI's ECM. The service manager has been very cooperative with my complaint of high fuel consumption, but until three weeks ago, he didn't have anything to offer--except for me to keep careful records of fuel usage with dated receipts (I always write the mileage on the receipt as well as in the record book.) So far I have logged 2200 miles with an overall 21.8 mpg (2180 miles/100 gal) average since purchase. Since the upgrade, I got 22.7 mpg (715 miles/31.4 gal.) But...on the trip, I refilled the tank after each highway leg, when the dash mpg meter read up to 31, yielding 31 and 29 mpg on 4.6 and 4.7 gal fill-ups. Of course, with such small amounts of fuel and various gas stations, it's hard to say, but the "all city" portion at Cape May was 17.7 mpg, the lowest I have recorded. I am not sure I can believe it, but the 22.7 is certain, and that beats the 20.8 I was getting. This upgrade apparently INCREASES the idle speed, as it is ostensibly for a "rough idle," which I have had from the purchase day. That is improved, but not gone. I think the GDI is guzzling fuel at idle, much more than the average engine, but the six-speed transmission slips through the gears at lightning speed. Unfortunately, the transmission won't go into sixth gear until 41 mph. If the engine could be shut down (as in a hybrid) I think the 25 mpg average could be achieved easily.

Today, however, as noted, Kia and Hyundai admitted that their mileage calculations have been in error, after the EPA's Department of Transportation and Air Quality (with whom I have been in conversation--notice the "dozens of complaints") identified significant discrepancies in data submitted by them to determine gas mileage. This is a severe penalty, as well as a fall from grace (Kia was No 2 in overall gas mileage) and we peons will get a few dollars more than from some class action settlement. I went to the site tonight and entered my VIN, which was recognized as "eligible". Go to kiampginfo.com to submit your claim.

I am equally concerned about the dash meter's consistent 15% inflation of the gas mileage. This should also be fixed.
  • marilyn17marilyn17 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased my car 5-6 months ago and the highest MPG has 18 something and the norm is in the 17's. I have actually read it at much less, even in single digits for short periods of time. I would be glad to be one of those people complaining about 24 mpg.
    edited November 2012
    Marilyn,

Just go to kiampginfo.com and enter your VIN number, and give them your email address. You should be eligible.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I just tried doing that and after entering the data several times it estimated the reimbursement to be $0.08 (I hope that is per mile) and then gave me a server error so I could not complete the registration. I'll try again some other time, but it doesn't look promising. Hopefully the dealer can help.
    I just rechecked the site (kiampginfo.com) and completed the initial and current mileage. It estimated $30 for 4200 miles.
    I have almost 32000 and mine said 214.77 and that equals to .01 a mile. I thought it would be more but it isn't. I guess I should say thank you but I still feel ripped off by my salesman and service manager. That just doesn't cut it. Sad to say. :confuse: Still think you are better off to trade it in on something better.
    Here's another way to vent:

A reporter would like to speak to Hyundai and Kia owners who agree or disagree with the latest controversy over MPG. If you own a Hyundai or a Kia and would like to speak to a reporter about your experience with your car's fuel economy, please send your daytime and evening contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Just tried it again this am and it worked fine this time. For 13,136 miles I'm getting $86.36 in Texas.
    I got an email that states that I will be getting another on instructions about the debit card and the fact that I will need to go to local dealer. Has anyone got that information yet? :confuse:
  • ponynroundponynround Member Posts: 7
    I will tell you that I think the new MPG calculations are way off. Most Sorento owners on blogs are getting 22 MPG avg and Kia only adjusted the Sorento down by 2 MPGs. The Sorento should easily get the same adjustment of 6MPGs like then Souls. My daughter and I bought the Sorento and Soul this year and have been complaining to the dealer about the MPG from the first month of ownership.

In Calif where gas is $4 per gal on avg I commute 18k per year (80Highway/20City) if they reimbursed me based upon 6mi off in MPG as it is I should get approx $600 not the $100+ at 2mi off. I am only getting 22MPG avg when I should be getting at least 28 MPG avg based upon the original 32 MPG sales pitch.

I am curious do you agree with the amount they say that you qualify for??

And to make matters worse the MPG gauge in both the Sorento's and Soul's off by 10 - 20%. This also is a misrepresentation to consumers. Therefore, if drivers simply rely only on the vehicles MPG gauge and not calcuate their fuel consumption vs miles they will not fully realize the severity of the error in misrepresentation by the manufacturer.

As a long time Kia owner family (4 Kias in the house) I am extremely disappointed and feel duped!
    Fully agree that the dash meter should also be fixed it is just another misrepresentation and should be an easy fix with software update! I also feel they should have to validate fully their new MPG estimates because a 2mi MPG adjustment down for the Sorento GDI is wrong. It is more like 6 mi adjustment is needed like the Soul. :mad:
  • jlauresjlaures Member Posts: 2
    I would not take any Money from Kia because you basically signing a waiver saying your ok with it.
    Not exactly true. By accepting this you do not give up your right to pursue legal action. At least this is what I understand it to be. If anyone else has any other info on this please let us know.
  • kia_motors_repkia_motors_rep Member Posts: 1
    First off, thank you for all of your honest, valuable feedback. We hear each and every one of you.

We deeply regret these errors and sincerely apologize to our valued customers. Rest assured, that we are working our hardest & fastest to reach those affected and make things right. You all are most important to us! We understand that fuel economy is one of the considerations that can play a role in many car-buying decisions.

As you know, we're offering a reimbursement program to affected owners to ensure fair and efficient compensation for any additional fuel costs associated with the MPG rating changes. You get learn more, and get started here: www.KiaMPGinfo.com. Also, you can contact us for specific information and help at the Kia Fuel Economy Ratings Adjustment Program Center at 855.912.5648.

We look forward to helping you, and appreciate your honesty, patience, and continued support. Thanks!!

Kia Motors America
  • markonmarkon Member Posts: 5
    My Kia was great at first - then as you, my millage was not where they promised - THEN the salesperson told me I was driving it wrong, and "you need to break it in".. I am trying to talk to others who were told that. Does this Forum let people DD? mike at sysdisrupt Dot com :mad:
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    ive seen many say that ave mpg reading is off so i tested mine. it automatically resets at every fill up so cant keep running total. after 3 tanks each tank read on dash about 2 percent better than what i calculated. my odometer is off by 2 percent so accounting for that it was exactly on. three tank average was 22.9 mpg in 50/50 driving and it is a little cold here. think my 2011 was rated 20/26 so it is pretty much in the middle.
  • spinelessspineless Member Posts: 3
    I have just finished testing the MPG of our 2013 Kia Sorento with the 2.4L GDI. It's not good. The dash reported MPG is off by 11%!!

Before we got the TSB idle fix, we were getting a dash reported MPG of around 20mpg. Since the fix, the dash has consistently been reporting about ~18mpg.

So I decided to actually measure the MPG using the fill-up method. Turns out we are getting only 15.7mpg.

What is mind boggling, is that we drive so that the ECO mode light is virtually always on. Starting from lights very slow, no drastic acceleration, all of that.

This is our second Kia, and I can say with certainty that we will never buy a Kia again.
    At least they have admitted to being wrong on the mpg and refunding money back but it still doesn't help us with the long term of getting poor gas mileage. I love the Sorento but the mpg just stinks. Will probably trade it in for something more resonable. Good luck on yours :mad:
    I like you love my Sorento but hate the mpg. I feel like I was mislead and will fight Kia for better compensation than 1-2mpg they claim as their error on the Sorento's mpg. I usually get about 22mpg combined with 85% highway, this is based on actual miles driven and fuel consumed not the dash mpg. The dash mpg usually shows 26mpg (off by 10-20% from actual) which I think is just more misinformation for consumers. I just bought my car in Aug 2012 I have considered trading it in as well fairly soon, but in the end I refuse to take the hit for Kia's misrepresentation. Fessing up to the mistake and then not fairly making it right is still wrong. I plan to fight for truthful compensation for what I told the car would provide, or fight to have Kia by back the car and make me whole. Bait and switch is not fair business practice and should not be allowed in any means. I do not believe this is over for Kia and Hyndai there will be many class actions coming up. I already know of 2 in states other than mine. I am looking for one in California to consider joining.
    i spoke with the epa and they told me that they are just starting their investigation and that I should file my complaint with them....they are looking at these complaints seriously. The more consumers complain the more info they have HAVE YOUR VIN #

Please contact EPA

complianceinfo@EPA.gov
    edited November 2012
    I originally posted on this site for a class action and another posted reminding me that class actions do little for us being hurt. Look at the Honda deal. We're screwed.
    I have a kia service department attempting to fix the MPG issue. I started complaining 1 month after purchase. I am praying they can do something. I love the car but cannot afford to drive it (reimbursement is a joke for my mpg). Just want it fixed.....Not sure what to do if they can't take care of it. Resale value?? Everyone would be happy if they just fixed our friggin cars!

A kia corporate case manager was suppose to call me 11 days ago...Never got a call.
    trying to get hold of them with no luck.
    I hear your pain. I have been writing on this board as well as others about the terrible mpg on my 2012 sorrento for well over a year. I even wrote the president of KIA on two separate occasions. The first reply from them was a glossy brochure on how to drive for better mileage...I mailed it back to him with a few kind words.
    My thoughts on the class action suit like Honda is that the lawyers are the ones that make out and the complaintents get screwed (again). I too wish KIA would buy me out and make me whole. If you know of that avenue I would be really interested in that approach.
    Good Luck
    Marilyn,
    I have talked to the service manager at Kia Rockwall TX, and they can't do anything to make the Sorento get better gas mileage. It is what it is and we are going to have to live with it. I have emailed the EPA about this and hopefully they will make Kia do more for the consumer. I too would like Class Action but really the lawyers are going to do good not the consumer. I too am thinking about trading my Sorento in on something better as I hate to drive a Kia now. I feel like I have been robbed, I get 26 mpg and I drive 128 miles a day so the pennies they are giving us is nothing. We just have to keep fighting. :mad:
  • side_show_tomside_show_tom Member Posts: 22
    If you live in California you do not need to join any class actions. California has a strong and fairly enforced lemon law, that can force a dealer to repurchase your car, less an amount for usage. Research the law, it is simple and straightforward. One caveat, you must make lemon law claim before 15k miles. Return the car to the dealer for service for poor gas mileage. I use the MPG calculator on gasbuddy.com, save your receipts. You can file a lemon law claim after 5 service calls without the problem being fixed. Don't let them BS you about breakin.

Good luck.
    Anyone aware of a class action suit in Texas or can you join in other states?
  • 2012_kia2012_kia Member Posts: 1
    I agree! I called and asked KIA to buy back my vehicle and I've got a claim number, I was told someone would get back to me...that was 11/7 and still nothing. I am located in FL. Keep me posted on the class action.
    Yup - I am using Brett Weaver in San Diego - and he is right on top of this and has been since the very beginning.
    www.johnsonandweaver.com for his data - Just ask him about his retired Texas Judge for any Texas matter. :mad:
  • moses24moses24 Member Posts: 1
    Went through the same situation for 5 months before I took a loss and traded my Sorento in on a new Accord. Cost me $5k, which still stings, but I couldn't afford the fuel efficiency with the amount of miles I drive every day/week/year! I was getting less than 25mpg at a consistent 67mph. I tracked this on paper for the time I had the car. Started complaining at 2-weeks. Customer Service did NOTHING. Even laughed at me at one point.

Started filling out the KIA Reimbursement Application today. For 18k miles, they are only offering me an ESTIMATED $131.14. I'd love to fight it, but then I read this:

http://jalopnik.com/5956074/take-the-hyundai+kia-reimbursement-money-and-run-say- s-lemon-law-lawyer

If your a lawyer, or working with one in Ohio, let me know. I don't need $130 bucks so bad I can't wait!
    edited November 2012
    Excellent advice from the Jalopnik person interviewed I'm afraid.

Two years from now you may get a coupon in the mail for $500 off a new Sorento.

A case in which the only winners are lawyers (MSNBC)
  • apprenticeshipapprenticeship Member Posts: 1
    Yes,
    I'm going to see what I can do here in California; we have the 2012 4 cyl. and it's getting around 12 mpg in town and around 16 to 18 on the highway. I've already taken it in to Kia and the service manager acknowledged some, like mine, were getting 10 mpg LESS than stated! Kia wants to make it 'all good' by issuing the 'gas debit card' but that's missing the whole point as to why we bought this car in the first place. Also, it will be hard to get a decent price if we decide to sell it. It's a 4 cyl. that gets worse mileage than my old Dodge pickup truck.
    I'm going to file a claim with the state attorney general today.
    I have sent them a letter stating my decision to start the lemon law issue re: the vechicle in Ma. Have not heard back yet also have not heard anything on the debit card issue. doing the math when I brought my car into be certified for the mileage I had about 9200 miles on the vechicle and was told I was going to get a card for about $62.00 that works out to be .006 cents per mile ??????
    Well I got my debit card today, for your inconvience you can't use it at the pump you have to go in to a clerk. It says debit on it but no pin # so they tell you you have to say credit why then the debit. Had one of those from an electric company and it never did work. For 32351 miles in TX I got 215.16 and part of that is the 15% premium so needless to say they didn't give you the right amount based on the gas prices of 3.95 in the summer. This really is a crock, am so looking to get out of the KIA name. Hate to promote it. I had a person today at the grocery store ask me about the KIA I told her love the SUV but wouldn't buy one. I think I have told everyone I know about the same thing. :mad:
  • stillfixinstillfixin Member Posts: 1
    I am also getting around 26 mpg (actual-calculated hwy mpg) with my '12 Sorento. Has anyone on this forum noticed that their Kia doesn't coast/free wheel well when the foot is removed from the accelerator?

I virtually never go straight to the brake from the gas pedal (except in emergencies), watching the traffic, lights and stop signs 1/4 to 1/2 mile up the road. I get the EPA rated hwy mpg on my '99 Odyssey and EPA rated plus 1 on my '03 Sebring. But when I drive the Sorrento and take my foot off the gas at my usual distance before stop signs, lights etc., the Sorrento slows down like I'm dragging an anchor. At first, I thought it was a transmission issue with the trans allowing engine braking and/or inappropriate downshifting. But then I free wheeled (in neutral) all three cars down the long gradual (not steep) incline in my subdivision. Both the Odyssey and the Sebring were still free-wheeling near 20mph when I had to brake for my turn about .2 miles after shifting into neutral. The Sorento was doing 5 mph before my turn.

Anyone notice their Sorento doesn't free-wheel (whether in drive or in neutral) as well as it should?
    Has anyone tried legal action against KIA? I wrote a letter telling them I was advancing a Lemon Law action against them and was called and told that my car was eligible under the fuel arrangment. I told them I knew that and that my intent was action under the lemon law. I was told that I could not do that. Well I guess we will see, because I am filling next week with a federal district court. It only costs $75.00 but maybe it will get someones attention..
    12mpg city, and 18 highway just doesn't cut it...
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    its really too bad that there isnt a way to get the word out to people before they buy the sorento to insist on a v6. same or better mileage and goes better. 4 cyl is too small and overworked on this car. everyone seems to like their car except for 4 cyl gas mileage. i dont hear many complaints about the actual car. only about mileage.
    Yup I am using Johnson & Weaver

www.johnsonandweaver.com
  • stilhavfaithstilhavfaith Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2013 sorento 6cyl in Sept 2012. Took it to the dealership in Nov with the same free wheeling (coasting) problems as well as a really tight steering wheel and poor suspension (can feel EVERY BUMP, DIP, AND RIDGE) in the road. I was informed by the service dept that EVERY KIA SORENTO was made this way because it was built like a race car and the race cars have tight suspension and that all the new suv's have a fuel line connected directly to the gas pedal so that when you take your foot off the gas the fuel immediately stops flowing to engine which makes it start to slow down right away but it would never coast LESS than 5mph
    I also average about 11 mpg in the city. Nothing like what the sticker promised. This was my first NEW CAR purchase since 1997. Things sure have changed since then. I like the interior space of the Sorento. It came with a remote start and alarm system but I HAVE TO RESET IT MANUALLY TO GET THE DOORS TO LOCK, (My 97 remote starter/alarm resets itself) I chose this suv because of the mpg, warranty and interior space. Not too thrilled with it. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It feels and drives like an older car. Wish I turn back the hands of time. Would have gone with a different brand.

stilhavfaith
  • greforgrefor Member Posts: 34
    I just got a '13 EX V6 and have experienced the slowing of the vehicle once my foot is off the pedal. I'm no mechanic but i'm pretty sure all cars everywhere have a fuel line driectly connected to the gas pedal and removing your foot will stop the flow of fuel. That;s what a gas pedal does.

I think this is more of a transmission problem as it feels like the tranny is downshifting. 11 mpg is ridiculous and I'll be very upset if that is what I get even though I am usually a bit heavy on the gas.

As far as the suspension, I am coming from a Mazdaspeed 3 which is the sporty turbo version fo the Mazda 3. This is like a Caddy compared to that. I haven't noticed any stiffness in the seats compared to any other vehicle.
  • picantepicante Member Posts: 27
    Here is a description of my first highway trip with 2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD. Highway driving with some adverse conditions. Got 21.66 mpg.

Trip report
  • par732par732 Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2013
    I bought 2013 Sorento EX in July 2012 which I have almost 5000 miles it. The best MPG I have been able to get is 15 in the city and 18.5 combined. I have called Kia a number of times, they told that I have to drive the car for about 5000 miles for the break-in. I am almost there and nothing has changed. Now they are telling me that it’s my driving and to register for their one mile rebate. My discrepancy is more than 6 mile or over 25%. I have stopped other Sorento owner on the road, they also telling me that they are having the same problem and their MPG average is about 20 to 25% below Kia's published numbers. I will be talking to my attorney to see what is my option. In mean time I am trying to inform potential Sorento buyers the facts and keep them from making mistake of buying Kia Sorento.

Pete
  • ennui101ennui101 Member Posts: 7
    I am closing in on 18,000 miles and have lifetime measured mileage (dividing odometer miles by gallons recorded at the pump) of 19.8 mpg. I live in suburbs but there is occasional traffic and/or trips into NYC. Not so much highway.

I figure a Highlander (my other choice) would have been at least as bad and would have cost a few thou more. On the other hand it might have had a higher resale value....
  • f_speedsterf_speedster Member Posts: 1
    Pete,
    I bought my Sorento EX GDI 4cyl in Aug of 2012 and have been experiencing the exact same scenario as you. I drive 90% hwy and only pull 22mpg when the car was rated for 32mpg(est.) I purchased my car because of the advertised and therefore expected mpg with some minor variation of the 32mpg not 10mpg off. I will not be accepting the 1mi mpg adjustment as I feel it is as bogus as the original advertised mpg. I am currently looking into Lemon Laws in California to make Kia refund my $$. Please keep us posted on what your attorney advises and what is the result of your recourse action.
    - Laura