Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Real World MPG

12346»

Comments

• par732par732 Member Posts: 8
    THAT'S BAD
    DO NOT TAKE THEIR ONE MILE COUPON THEY OWE YOU UP TO 6 MILE, I WILL KEEP YOU IMFORM.
    ALSO KEEP THE ISSUE IN THE ILIMELIGHT AND PUT IT OUT THERE FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS TO KNOW.
  • greforgrefor Member Posts: 34
    I only have a couple of tanks of gas on my V6 AWD model so I can't say much about what mileage I will get. However, one thing I have noticed is that the Eco monitor is a complete joke. Today I was accelerating pretty hard on an on ramp and the Eco was still lit. The tranny downshifted and the engine was revving pretty high (sounded high, I didn't notice the tach) DO you have to floor the car for it to go off?

My wife has a Honda Odyssey with a similar feature and that is much more realistic. If you are accelerating or driving above 70 mph or so it goes off, which makes much more sense than what I see with the Sorento system.
  • travlingirltravlingirl Member Posts: 1
    First, I apologize for the length of this post, but wanted to include all the information I have. Second, oh how I wish I had found and read this forum before I purchased my 2013 Sorento. I bought the LX 2WD in July 2012 and paid extra for the convenience package which gave me the GDI engine. The sticker indicated it would get 2 mpg more than the standard 2.4L engine for a total of 32 mpg highway. I had been a faithful Honda Accord owner for years but wanted a vehicle that sat me up higher off the ground so I started shopping for a SUV. I test drove several vehicles but kept coming back to the Sorento. It was hands down the most comfortable seat for me and I liked all the features that were included. The fact that it would get 32 mpg highway and 26 combined was the thing that sold me in the end. Boy do I now feel duped by Kia. Now that they have revised their sticker, the GDI engine is projected to get no more than the 30 mpg for highway shown on the sticker of the standard engine. Well, I’d be happy to get 30. My mpg doesn’t even come close to that. In fact, it is getting worse instead of better. I didn’t keep track of mileage when I first bought the car but I soon realized I wasn’t getting what I should be so I started a spreadsheet and every time I fill up I calculate my mileage. At the end of October, I took a road trip that was strictly easy highway miles at speeds of no more than 70 mph and I got 21.3 mpg. With my last tank of gas, 64% was highway miles at speeds of no more than 68 mph. The balance was city miles. I got 19.8 mpg which didn’t even make the 21 mpg city figure. I use unleaded, 87 octane gas.

I first complained to the local dealer’s service department the first part of November when I had about 3000 miles on the car. They did some software updates, gave me the excuse about the engine not being broke in yet and said that wouldn’t occur until 6000-8000 miles, and that it could also be the way I drive the car. Well, on the highway I normally set the cruise at 68, I keep the vehicle maintained as I should and I live in the Midwest where roads are flat. I don’t know how much better my driving conditions could be in order to improve my mileage. They also said the gas companies put an additive in the gasoline during the winter months that will reduce my mpg. They said to let them know how things are this spring, after the engine is broke in. The funny thing is this visit to the shop was one day before Kia announced the mileage reimbursement program and they never even mentioned this program to me. I just happened to hear about it on the news. Plus the service department never even contacted me after it was announced to make sure I was aware of the program.

On 11/14/12, I wrote a letter to Kia Customer Service. I told them I felt the 1 mpg reimbursement was not enough since I am getting several miles less than their stated mileage. I also told them I felt I should be reimbursed for the extra money I paid for the GDI engine when it is rated to get the same mileage as the non-GDI engine. I ended up calling them when I didn’t hear anything after several weeks and the first person I spoke with made note of all my complaints and said someone would contact me. It was interesting that she told me you cannot go by the average mpg showing on the cars odometer because it won’t be accurate. Well, I had figured that out pretty quickly but why wouldn’t it be accurate?? She said someone would call me in a week. Well, I did receive a call after a couple weeks time. Of course, I was informed the mileage reimbursement is the only thing they can offer. He said my low mileage could be attributed to how I drive so I explained my conservative driving habits. He said lots of people are reporting getting higher mileage than the sticker. Really? I’d like to talk to someone who does. He even suggested some driving at 48 mph get better mileage. So I’m supposed to drive 48 mph on the interstate? Seriously? Bottom line is they won’t do anything other than the 1 mpg reimbursement which amounts to nothing in my opinion.

I feel Kia is guilty of false advertisement and companies should be held accountable for lying to the consumer. As somebody else has mentioned though, the only winners in class action suits are the attorney’s. I do not know what a consumer can do, but I think I will send a letter to the EPA for a start. I couldn’t be more disappointed with this whole situation.
    What you need to do post the real world mileage against the Kia's mileage on your windows and drive around the card and posted on the internet anywhere you can post. If you can convince one buyer not buy their car you won. thats what I am doing. Also with holidays and being busy, I have not had a chance to talk to a lowyer.
  • joehickjoehick Member Posts: 28
    I have been saying this on this board since I bought this pig last year. I still get 12 city and 18 hgwy. I have written to the pres. and have spoke to cust. serv. three times, and you guessed it, nothing, nothing but a glossy telling me how to drive for better mileage. I mailed it back to the president with some nice words. I must tell you though, I have in fact made a difference when people asked me about the sorento and what I thought. I did my part, I know they lost more sales than they got me for.
  • marilyn17marilyn17 Member Posts: 8
    I went to vistaprints online and ordered window stickers for $11 each which I designed and are yellow and black. They state: KIA BUYERS BE AWARE --KIA ESTIMATES 22-32 MPG---- MY AVERAGE 16-19 MPG ..
    I also purchased 4 x 6 banners which I have occasionally used along with balloons.
    I have gotten honks, thumbs ups, waves, lots of smiles and laughs from people and the finger from a KIA employee.
    If I save a few people from the same problems I am encountering it will be worth it. Good luck.
    That 4 cylinder engine really sux. I've got the 6 cylinder and am getting much better mileage, ~ 19-21 combined and I usually get much less MPG than advertised on other vehicles I have owned. Only about 1k miles on the car so far though. The 6 cylinder has a bit of juice, too.
  • btb4btb4 Member Posts: 1
    Folks:
    I am considering replacing my 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a new (2013) Sorento EX AWD with the V-6, but am concerned with all of these posts about poor gas mileage. Is this a problem with just the 4 cylinder engines or the V-6s as well? Can some of you V-6 AWD owners tell me what your MPG experience has been - not what the trip computer tells you but what you have calculated yourselves. My Grand Cherokee only gets 17 mpg on the highway, even though the trip computer says it is getting 21.5. I don't want to buy another SUV that tries to pull into every gas station it passes! Even 22 mpg on the highway would be acceptable.
  • ennui101ennui101 Member Posts: 7
    Dear btb4,

I have a 2012 V6 Sorento. I live in a suburban area, not a lot of traffic jams, but short runs: 1 m, 2 m. 5 m. I get 20.0 mpg overall (now 18500 miles), measured using odometer and actual gas dispensed. City mileage is worse, highway is better by 2-4 mpg. A bit hard to compare since on trips there is often a lot of stuff (and people) in the vehicle.

I bought this to replace a Toyota Highlander hybrid that got totalled by a falling tree during a storm (new Highlander hybrids were not available due to tsunami). It has four inches less rear seat legroom than my 2011 Highlander, but footroom seems ample and no one in the back seat has ever complained. My very subjective feeling is that Toyota build quality was a little better; on the other hand, the Sorento has a lot more bells and whistles than the Highlander and cost $6K less than the hybrid. In the hybrid I was getting 25 mpg (according to computer).

My advice (remember what you're paying for it) is that the Sorento is fine if you can live with 20 mpg. So far the only "service adjustment" was to update the computer code. Zero issues, no rattles, squeaks, anomalies.

Peter
    New jeep Grand Cherokee gives you 26 for sure and quality is much better. With Sorento you will get the 22 and oppose to 26 adverized.
  • ponynroundponynround Member Posts: 7
    My family has been a Kia family since I bought my first Spectra in 2007. I loved that car and still do. We have 4 Kia's now (07 Spectra5, 08 Spectra sedan, 12 Soul+, and 13 Sorento GDI). Since 07 I could not speak highly enough of the Kia's. However, my Soul and Sorento are both part of the MPG advertising dupping issue. I will never buy another Kia again. My feelings are if they misrepresented (or lied) about the MPG what else have they or will they lie about. Moreover, even with the admitted misrepresentation they are not standing by their customers and making it right. The new mileage adjustments are still off they down graded the MPG from 32 to 30, but the best I can ever get is 22MPG with 95% highway driving.

So basically Buyer Beware is all I can say to you when it comes to any Kia!! I wouldn't trust them again.
  • trippingmantrippingman Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have the EX - AWD with the 4cyl. GDI engine. Yes, the mileage is ridiculous! City, maybe 17mg. Highway, depending upon driving speed maybe 23mpg and 21.5 combined. Too bad, I love the convenience features and performance, The ride can be noisy at times and harsh over bumps. I traded a 2011 EX - AWD V-6 for this. I wish I hadn't. As soon as I can get a favorable trade value it is gone. KIA is useless as well as Hyundai. I won't be buying another of their products. I hope things work out for the rest of you. :mad:
  • spinelessspineless Member Posts: 3
    I agree with your AWD GDI mpg assessment. The mileage is total crap! On the highway, I can get about what the city rated mileage is (~21mpg). I can't get anywhere close to the highway rated mileage on the highway, or the city rated mileage in the city.

Never again buying any KIA product.
    Replying to: btb4 (Jan 21, 2013 11:50 am)

New jeep Grand Cherokee gives you 26 for sure and quality is much better. With Sorento you will get the 22 and oppose to 26 adverized.

Not sure where you get that from. EPA estimates on Grand Cherokee is 23 highway and cost will be many thousands more for all but the base models. On top of that I've heard bad things about reliability on all Jeep vehicles.
    Guy,

this is class action law suit web site. I guess after this is settled we may get $150 back. Now is time to go back to reputable companies such as Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and even American Companies.

http://www.classlawsuit.com/kia-mpg-class-action-update/
  • mpg_mattersmpg_matters Member Posts: 2
    travelingirl, thx so much for your post. the length was necessary. i'm looking for new car. mpg is 1st priority. sorento was 1st on list w gdi info. in nov i almost bought. anyway, thx to this forum i will completely rethink next vehicle purchase. i am certain it will not be sorento.

btw, i have 2008 sportage. in 2009 with 12,000 on a trip from nc to va i had problem accelerating. nearest dealership in petersburg didnt help. the autozone down the street did. later i had a defrost issue, a knocking sound they told me was the door btw the heating & defroster, brought it in a couple of times, unaware of the lemon law. thought i would never consider another kia purchase until i saw sorento advertisments w great mpg. saved by the forum! sincerely, mpg_matters
  • mpg_mattersmpg_matters Member Posts: 2
    amen. :)
  • trippingmantrippingman Member Posts: 3
    Yes, it is too bad. The vehicle has so much to like. However, the value is no longer there. Kia's pricing has crept to a place where it is no longer as attractive as it once was. Couple that with the gas mileage debacle it adds up to a product that has quickly become synonymous with junk. Hyundai and Kia spent billions trying to overcome buyers reluctance to purchase their products. They finally succeed in gaining a large market share. Now they are throwing it all away with a dishonest and indifferent reaction to their customers complaints. :lemon: :mad:
    Do you think Kia reads these blogs and do they care? I can tell you one thing that after speaking with there customer service people They could care less..
  • lanshilanshi Member Posts: 22
    Believe me Kia does not care whatsoever, I have told them about the blog and they just said they are trying to make things right. HA Has anyone gotten a good trade in for their Sorento, Looking to trading mine in. :confuse:
  • luvinlife7890luvinlife7890 Member Posts: 3
    purchased KiaSorento 2013 i am sick with my mileage, 400 km to a 64 litre tank if im lucky.. was told 600.. how can they be wrong by 200 km??????? No one wants to help, dealership hasnt responded to my numerous calls , emails, complaints, had a scan said yes it was def on the low end of the specs... I hate it , it was over 40 thousand .. i want my money back, i complained the 1st week i had it, i was told .. wait till 10 k.. my god i cant afford to drive it to 10 k.. does anyone know of a class action suit in good old CANADA.. or had any luck getting a lawyer involved ..

thanks.. :lemon:
  • scoutyjones2scoutyjones2 Member Posts: 6
    I know this is for Hyundai, their step sister, but Kia may join in, posted on MSN 4 days ago :

Owners can opt for a lump-sum payment or discounts at a Hyundai dealer. Kia's lawsuits are still pending.

Hyundai will settle a class-action lawsuit after advertising incorrect fuel-economy estimates on about 600,000 cars sold in the U.S., according to court documents filed earlier this week.

In November, when the Environmental Protection Agency discovered fraudulent estimates on 75 Hyundai and Kia models from 2011 to 2013, several car owners sued both companies (Kia is a subsidiary of Hyundai). The latest case filed in the Central District court of California has combined all 38 suits into one, according to Automotive News.

The actual amount of the proposed settlement was not disclosed, although one individual suit wanted $775 million in damages to be paid. Kia is not part of the settlement but may join it, the report said.

Before this settlement, Hyundai and Kia quickly responded with a lifetime cash reimbursement program to pay all affected owners the difference in gas money for as long as they own the cars. Owners have already signed up to receive preloaded debit cards each year depending on their annual mileage. Hyundai and Kia plan to pay out about $225 million and $187 million respectively.

In total, about 900,000 owners are affected and stand to benefit from either payout.

Owners who choose to be part of the settlement can no longer receive annual payments from the automaker. Instead, Hyundai owners can take a lump-sum payment, a service credit at a Hyundai dealer worth 150 percent of the lump-sum payment or a cash rebate valid on a new Hyundai equal to 200 percent of the lump-sum payment.

Annual debit-card payments vary by state gas prices and model -- some saw their EPA ratings drop more than others -- but for a Californian owner of a 2012 Elantra driving 20,000 miles per year, the payout would be about $89, according to Automotive News.

Ford is under an EPA investigation for similar claims that it inflated fuel-economy estimates on its C-Max and Fusion Hybrid models. Lawsuits are also pending.
    thank you.. im thinking of just selling it.. but will keep my eyes open and go one msn
  • wbernhardtwbernhardt Member Posts: 16
    First of all they did not say you will get 32 miles to the gallon driving 70 miles an hour. If you drive 60 miles per hour you will notice a difference. If you back down driving 55 miles per hour on 55 speed limit road, you will get better yet. Why don't you try and drive 85 on the open highway and see if your mileage drops more. Anyone knows driving faster and stomping on your gas pedal will decrease your mileage. Next time ask at what speed you will get that mileage.
    Best of luck.
    i drive like an old lady... no gas pedal to the metal... im off to montreal in a few days straight hwy .. we shall see what i get.. i just managed 389 km for my last full tank.. (ouch) at 75$ to fill.. come spring i may take the hit and sell on kijiji and find something def not awd.. and a 4 cyl.. i heard there is a class action suit here in CAN but cant find anyinfo on it.. so if anyone knows could you please let me know.. thanks
  • scoutyjones2scoutyjones2 Member Posts: 6
    People can defend KIA all they want but when it comes down to it, they got busted and tried to half heartedly make amends. While many of us claim/can show that the mileage is worse than what they fess up to, we have the right to feel poorly about KIA. I have had plenty of cars that met, sometimes even exceeded the MPG EPA estimates under the same comfortable driving habits I still use...
    To add my misgivings about KIA, I note that the Soul was discounted dramatically (6 MPGS?), and they advertise a special price on the 2013 Sorento on a TV commercial here, while showing a 2014 model which is 80% new material...it comes across as "dirty."
    I know that is a bummer when you spend that kind of money and don't get what they suggest( in perfect weather) These vehicles could and should be getting 50 mpg but the gov has control on this and are making money on us buying more oil and gas. It is only going to get worse if we have the gov control everything. I have noticed that if you want great mileage you have to get the smallest engine and 2WD and a stick shift. But who wants to buy a stick.
    Have a good week.
    Thank you for that information. I was actually going to look at the Kia sorento but have changed my mind now. I will keep looking also. Toyota and Honda and Subaru are my next ventures. The outback sounds good.
    Kia finally took my Sorrento and asked the dealer to test drive and establish the actual day to day driving mileage and after they kept the car for a day they reported that the best they can do is 19 MPG combined City/Highway (6 miles less than advertised #) and much less for the city. Then Kia called and told me to go screw myself because functionally there is nothing wrong with the car. I will wait to see what comes out of the class action lawsuit. Otherwise my mission in life is to inform people of the situation and if I convince one person not to buy Kia I am happy I am satisfied. I am trading this car with Toyota Highlander and convimced my brother to do the same thing.

Good luck everyone.
    Your right, they stated we would get 28mpg highway, not that far off. And by the way Mileage was a key part of the buying element in my decision.
    I have posted here since day 1 that the mileage sucks. I have driven my vechicle at all speeds in many different situations and come up with the same mileage I have always recieved. I am lucky if I get 12-14 city and maybe 18-20 highway. And yes that is at 55mph
  • lanshilanshi Member Posts: 22
    I am up to 40,000+ miles and the mpg is still the same 26/27. I DO NOT PUT MY FOOT INTO IT as I drive 128 miles a day so I can't afford to waste gasoline. KIA dealerships could care less about the consumer believe me. Everytime I take it in I question it and they say they are still trying to do right. I have told them to forget it they will never do right in my books, they just plain and simple lied to us all. DON'T BUY A KIA SORENTO AND I ALWAYS SAY DON'T BUY A KIA THEY LIE TO YOU.
    :mad:
  • fredsmith1991fredsmith1991 Member Posts: 1
    I am not having issues with my mpg. I get solid 22 mpg city and 29 - 30 highway. I have the '13 Sorento LX 4cyl GDI. I would probably due much better than 30 highway, but driving from Wisconsin to Indiana entails driving through Chicago and I usually run 75 - 85mph so I don't get run over. I just turned over 12K miles.
  • spinelessspineless Member Posts: 3
    After about 14,000 miles, my 2013 Sorento started to drive erratically. The transmission can't decide what gear to be in and the engine no longer has any torque. I have taken it to the dealer three times now, and each time they keep telling me that it is driving correctly. That's pretty strange because for the first 10 months, it generally drove fine, though with crappy gas mileage. Then one day it started to occasionally drive odd, and then it became a permanent. When driving up an incline, it shifts down two gears, snaps your neck from the unexpected acceleration, then shifts back up, and then back down... rinse and repeat.

I simply hate my Sorento. I am looking at offloading it so I can get a more trustworthy car.
  • nehpets01nehpets01 Member Posts: 1
    Length of ownership-34 days; 820 miles on OD; type of driving- no daily commuting (retired), mostly rural area driving as needed or desired, an occasional hypermile (traffic permitting) and no extended travelling as yet to determine "highway-only" mileage; gas mileage obtained-23.3 mpg. I enjoy my Sorento. I traded in a '12 Ford Fusion that offered up 25-26 plus mpg with the same driving type as described above. I wanted a vehicle that offered more utility and mpg's that I can live with. I found that and more (unbelievable list of standard equipment with the EX trim) in my '14 Sorento.
    I am curious. I have the exact same model and avg 22 mpg no matter what. My miles are easily 90% hwy and very little city. There is no way that I can reach your mpg of 29-30. Are you hand calculating this or are you going off the dashboard numbers?
    Does anyone have any information on the class action or any individal settlements with Kia regard the MPG misrepresentation? I have done much research and cannot find any updates or even if the action is still pending. Someone somewhere has to have some info on where this is all at, or have those with the big pockets buried it from public knowledge????
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2013
    I don't know about any class actions. Kia "settled" with the EPA after that agency investigated.

Hyundai and Kia To Compensate Consumers for Overstating Mileage Claims

Here's the quick link:

https://kiampginfo.com/