Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Real World MPG

Comments

• lanshilanshi Member Posts: 22
    Well I went in for my second oil change and asked about the mileage AGAIN and now they say you really can't judge it until after 10,000 miles. Last time was 5,000 Service says it will get better with time. I see on their computer 29 and sometimes 30 but in reality i still am at 26 on highway. I pretty much drive all highway 120 miles a day so that is why I really thought of this vehicle at 30 to 32 mpg. I traded in a Nissan Altima and should have gotten another one as the mileage was awesome. :cry:
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    That's why I must have test driven the Sorento V6 and 4 cylinders numerous times. I pretty much knew from the start that the 4 was way too weak for this vehicle and noisy too. Put any passengers and luggage in and drive through mountains forget it. That's why I went with a 2011 EX V6 with the premium package. We get about 18mpg around town and 26 on the highway. Our best mileage comes on two lane country roads where the speed limit is 55. I have gotten 27mpg at 60mph. At 70mph I get about 25mpg. You have to manually calculate the mpg on these vehicles. The computer is the worst I have ever had in a car and usually shows about 1.5 to 2mpg higher than the actual. The reason you got the poor mileage is obvious because the engine has to work so much harder than a 6 on hills and it is eating gas faster.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • myspringermyspringer Member Posts: 13
    The kia has caught my eye, I seem to change vehicles every 2 to 3 years, that is why I am checking out the write up on the Kia. Now I may not change.

HAVING SAME PROBLEMS WITH OTHER MANUFACTURERS HAVE 2009 TOYOTA VENZA RATED FOR 36 MPG, NOW WITH 22000 MILES ON IT, CAN ONLY GET 28 MPG ON INTERSTATE 75 WITH CRUISE SET AT 65 DURING THE SUMMER, IDEAL TEMPERATURES. TOYOTA CHECKED AND SAID IT IS WITHIN THE EPA PERAMETERS OF WITHIN 20 % OF + OR - GOVERNMENT SHOULD HAVE MORE SAY ON THIS FALSE ADVERTISING. ALL THE COMPANIES, IF YOU READ MANY REVIEWS, ARE POSTING HIGHER MPG THAN MOST PEOPLE ARE RECEIVING. MOST PEOLE SEEM TO BE GETTING ABOUT 20 % LESS THAN THE ADVETISED MPG (which by the way would be under ideal condition, forget winter calculations)
    Yes I have asked the dealership also and they say it will get better after 10,000. First they said after 5,000 and then now the next service person says 10,000. It is ashamed you can't throw it into their face. The Kia is really a nice vehicle but the EPA should really look at mpg better. good luck in your search but all of the SUV's are the same. I drive 60 miles and now probably look for a second vehicle if I continue working. :mad:
  • onefunkaronefunkar Member Posts: 113
    the government makes the mileage numbers not the car companies. i do think the car companies set up the cars to get best mileage under epa tests standards making it harder for the average person to hit the numbers but the car companies dont come up with mileage numbers. last time gas was as much as it is now in the 80s they passed a law that car companies had to advertise the city number and not highway number. look at any car ad for the 80s.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2012
    True, but the car companies can still get into trouble for their mpg advertising, as Honda is finding out.
  • joehickjoehick Member Posts: 28
    good luck, have my sorento for 6 mos, still getting 12 mpg city with a 4 cyl, and 19 on the highway. watching to see how the honda lawsuit plays out
    edited January 2012
    While my link is about the small claims suit, note that Honda already lost the class action. Owners didn't win squat (which is why the one woman opted out and went to small claims), but that's pretty typical with a class action.

If she wins her small claims suit, the floodgates could open for a lot of people. But she has the advantage of being able to show that another court has found that Honda misrepresented buyers about the mpg they could expect to get.
    I am in the same boat. Owne y 4cyl sorento for about 5 mos, and getting 12mpg city. If nothing happens will trade this in this summer.
    It is my understanding that the Government sets the expected Mpg for a vehicle. Also, even though my Sorento V6 has a 18 mpg city and 26 Hwy it states that the actual could actually be as low as 13 mpg city or something like that. I don't see how anyone would have any chance of suing the Government or the fact that it states that your actual mileage may vary. It seems to me that the bases are pretty well covered and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to see if the Honda owner wins her case.
    It may be more fair to say that the EPA requires mpg testing and sets out the standards for the test, and occasionally checks up the manufacturers to make sure they aren't cheating.

Well, the Honda owner won her case; now she's waiting to see if Honda will appeal.

There's language in the fuel economy stuff that says you can't sue the government or the automaker if you don't get the EPA mileage ratings. So I was surprised that Honda lost (or settled) the class action suit in the first place But the basis of that suit was that Honda falsely advertised how much mileage you could expect to get. Plus Honda changed the software and made people's mpg worse.

I'm just loosely talking about the Honda case here - the Honda owner has a web page up with the "correct" details that may interest you.

And yeah, the sticker has the EPA numbers with fine print about the range of mpg you can expect to get. People naturally tend to focus on the big city/highway numbers I think and assume that they will get that mileage too.
    the goverment makes the mileage numbers so you would have to sue the givernment. the honda lady is a different situation. her 2005 civic hybrid was recalled because of a battery problem and after the reflash she got 30 mpg instead of 50. the problem was what honda did to her car killed her mileage.
    Lawsuit or not, word of mouth kills a product. And I can tell you for a fact that if I don't get better mileage after 5k miles. I will broadcast to all I know what the Sorrento gives for mileage.
    It's too bad, because other than the mileage we love the vechicle.
    edited February 2012
    Well, guess that's not how I'm reading it. I think part of the Honda suit was based on false mpg advertising claims. If Honda had just parroted the EPA results, they probably wouldn't have settled the class action.

The software update came in 2006, but the class action covered owners back to '03. Owners who had the update can get additional remedies through the class action suit. Word does get around, and it gets around faster and faster these days.
    I don't blame you for your disappointment. I would say it is limited to a small percentage in all brand's vehicles. I will say this winter I have only been getting about 23 Highway and 16.5 City while my 2009 Fusion V6 has been running about 17.5 city and just last weekend after a brief visit from my Son we drove him back to his College in the Fusion. I got 26 mpg which is exactly what it is advertised. I don't quite understand why the Fusion never wavers summer or winter, but the Sorento goes from 26 hwy in the summer (with the A/C on) down to 23 in the winter. I have never gotten more than 26 out of the Sorento, but have gotten up to 30mpg out of the Fusion. The Sorento is nice, but it isn't near as satisfying as the 2004 Mountaineer V8 AWD that I traded for it. Hopefully if I can when it is time to get another vehicle I will look at an Explorer, Edge, or a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Mileage may not be as good on the larger Explorer and Jeep, but they both seem so much more solid than Kia.
    I defintly agree that I think the more people shout out maybe we can get something going. The mileage thing is so upsetting. I am about to think about taking a loss on it and trading it in on something else. About to go back to my Nissan Altima where I knew what I should get. But my brother got the Kia Optima and they say they should get about 38 to 40 and he is getting 33 in city. I am at 12000 miles and just now got 27 all highway. So let's shout out at these dealers at their false statments. My dealer at Rockwall Tx stated you will get 32 that is why they are selling so many. What a laugh :mad:
    Are you saying a Kia Optima should get 38 to 40 City. Even the Hybrid is rated at 35 city and 40 Highway. Actually 33 is definetely about right for a HYBRID. A regular Optima is rated at 24 city.
    No the Optima should get 38 to 40 on highway this is what is on little print underneath on the sticker. Kia is saying the Sorento should get 32 and I don't know of anyone that is getting that. I am just now getting 27 highway and that is pretty much what I drive. I think we should put on the back window mileage sucks. :mad:
  • newcarshoppenewcarshoppe Member Posts: 10
    To keinodog. I think yoiu wil be pleased when you get more miles on your car. I purchased my EX GDI in Dallas in November '12 and drove it back home to San Antonio which is about 275 miles. I drove back roads so I could vary my speed. I averaged 55 mph and only got 21.6 mpg. As the mileage has increased the mpg has increased. I currently have 2800 miles on the car and over the past ten days, i have obtained the following: Strictly in town with no freeway driving, 21.8 mpg. In town with some freeway, 25.4 mpg. Strictly highway, driving in the Texas hill country I got 29 mpg. The hill country trip is 75 miles from my home and the altitude increases 1,800 feet in that distance. Very curvey and at lease three different steep climbs of 25 to 30 degrees. The past two weekends I've gotten 29 mpg. I plan to drive to Corpus Christi next week to see what mpg flat terrain will produce.
    just got back from a 4000 mile trip with my 2011 v6 ex. at 70 to 75 got 27 to 28. at 80 to 85 got 24 to 25. very happy with that for a vehicle with plenty of power to drive the faster roads.
    I am happy that some people get good mileage with there SUV's. I have about 3000 miles on mine and am still getting 12-13 mpg. I am giving to 5000 miles and see what happens. If no better, I am going to explore the Honda option and sue, or if nothing else trade it in for something with better mileage.
  • ritzy1ritzy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Kia Sorento EX AWD, 4 cyl.
    I have the same problem with the mileage. I have about 1000 miles and I average about 13-14 mpg. I have used the mpg indicator as well as the calculations when I fill the tank. When I took it to the dealership the mpg mileage indicator said 17.1. They went with me on a drive, but had me reset the mpg button at at stop light. It went up to 24.1. It worked out fine during that short drive, but it is decreasing steadily, as it usually does, and by the time I get gas, it will be at 13 mpg again. I filled the tank fully, and at this point, at just about a half tank, I have about 78 miles on it.
    The dealership checked everything and there aren't any mechanical problems. I told them that I consider it unacceptable and I'm going back next week.
    I have done that a few times and they keep telling me to wait till I am above 10,000 well I am at 13,000 and still not getting what they say. Everytime I question it they have some kind of different answer. I have tried to talk to managers like on TV and that is a no way. They tell me the EPA puts that at absolutely awesome conditions and the service people say take 20% off of that. I drive all highway and am still getting 27. I wish you luck as I have thought about taking and trading it in. :sick:
    its has always seemed like the smaller engines get good epa numbers but in real life the smaller engines work harder and struggle to get the mileage of the bigger engine. alot of weight for a 4 cyl in a sorento. look at other forums equinox etc. all people with 4 cyl engines get poor mileage.
  • gator4ufimgator4ufim Member Posts: 2
    Puchased my 2012 Sorento EX in January with the expectation that I would realize the 32 mpg highway miles as advertised. I drive over 30k miles per year and the ONLY reason I chose a Kia was because of the advertised mpg...wanted an suv and was willing to sacrifice 4 cylinder performance for great gas mileage....pipe dream. With over 6k miles, the best mpg is 22...driving in Florida with no hills and no air conditioning to date. Today I traded that piece of crap Kia in for a 2012 Camry which advertises 35 higway mpg. My drive home from the dealer...56 miles which used 1.4 gallons of gas...40 MPG! Most people would not be able to trade so soon, but fortunately for me, I have an insider in the car industry and the savings off of camry msrp ate up the negative equity...and then some. I am very fortunate but feel bad for those that are not. The advertised mpg on the sorento is nothing but a lie...kia should be held accountable.
    Thats's great that you were able to trade in. I am thinking about doing the same thing. Am trying to find out what trade in would be. Kia says it is not them that the EPA puts that out there. I am at 14,500 miles and still only getting 27 not near their 32.
  • poppi877poppi877 Member Posts: 1
    4 cylinder Sorento gas mileage stinks! I'm extremely disappointed. I'm looking to dump it...20 on country roads and 24 hwy if I'm lucky...straight and flat roads. What a disappointment. :mad:
    I wrote to the president of Kia America and explained my problem with mileage. If nothing is done, I will trade it in and mount a campaign against this vechicle
    I would be happy as a pig in s t if I got 20mpg. I was getting 12mpg and it went up to 14, now I am getting a whopping 10-11 mpg, and nothing is being done
    joehick: See my post #75. I'm really surprised with the number of folks getting such low mileage. As you can see from my post, I'm getting very good mileage, better that the EPA estimates. I finally had an opportunity to make a 150 mile trip to Corpus Christi, TX on flat interstate with no wind. I drove at 65 mph and got just over 33 mpg. I filled up on the way out of town and refilled as soon as I arrived in Corpus. My calculated MPG and the computer in the car only differed by .1 mpg. I got slightly higher mpg returning to San Antonio but I also had a brisk tail wind. Hope things improve for you.
  • gator4ufimgator4ufim Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    Let us know if Kia pres responds.
    Btw, Kia is not the only car company that lies about mpg, Toyota does as well. My new camry advertises 35 highway...I've filled up twice since I purchased the camry 4 days ago...average of 42 mpg! Couldn't be more pleased.
    edited April 2012
    I don't know why people keep repeating that the car companies lie? That is an estimate set by the government. Rarely does a car's actual real mpg match up for every single vehicle that is made of a particular model. It isn't physically possible. There are just too many variables that could give one owner spot on, another better, and another worse. That's why there is a range listed on the sticker. I get better mileage on my 2009 Ford Fusion SEL V6 than the EPA estimates on the highway. Sometimes getting as much as 30mpg when it stated on the sticker that it was rated at 26mpg. My Sorento is going on 2 years old and I have lately only gotten about 24mpg on my 2011 EX V6 highway and 16 city, but this is still within the range. Do I wish it was better? Yes, but it isn't reality. For most people you can't get a better value for the price and the features than this vehicle.
  • mapaxmapax Member Posts: 3
    i don't know why people point out the obvious: EPA estimates are estimates. duh.

i'm guessing that many if not most of those disappointed with the mileage of their sorento have owned a few cars and have a decent sense of how govt estimates relate to real world. in my experience the sorento under performs in this regard. it actually doesn't even get within the epa range. this combined with the way kia markets the car - leading with the 32mpg estimate, they are setting up buyers for a big let down. my kia isn't a bad car, but knowing what i know now, i'd not have purchased. kia is producing visually well designed cars that are cheaply made and cheaply sold. they correctly figured that there's good demand for a high mpg seven seater so they got one out there by hook or by crook. when favorable conditions align i briefly get 32 on the highway (new smooth highway, no wind, flat). otherwise i get low 20s.
    I can certainly understand variable and ranges that are estimated for cars in the MPG stickers. The bottom line here for me is that I have a 2012 Sorrento with a new engine put out by KIA that tells me one thing on mileage and I get an absurd difference. I get between 10-12 mpg on my new vehicle, Kinda don’t think that is an acceptable variable, wouldn’t you agree. I know of half ton trucks that get better mileage.
    I wouldn't be happy myself about the mileage. Did you buy the 4 banger and in what state do you reside if you don't mind my asking? I do know that there has not been a huge out cry of people stating the Sorento gets poor gas mileage. Forums alway invite people whom are unhappy to vent their frustrations in a way that makes it seem that almost all of that brands owners are unhappy in some way. I disagree with the other poster that the car is made cheaply or did he mean effeciently so as to offer a quality vehicle at a reasonable price. I wouldn't even have looked at a Kia had the Ford Edge not gotten so expensive. At 40k for similar options I could not swing it with my youngest going to a private college and living on campus. At $46,000 per year we had to make a comprimise. Anyway hopefully you can get the issue with yours resolved or if it was me I would bite the bullet and trade it for something else.
  • chadpro1chadpro1 Member Posts: 4
    I JUST BOUGHT A 2012 SORENTO LX WITH CON. PKG. THE NEW "GDI" IS REALLY A POWERFUL 4 WITH LOTS OF PEP. YOU MIGHT THINK ITS' A 6.

WITH JUST 230 MILES ON IT I TRAVELED FROM NC.-PA., A DISTANCE OF 450 MILES. I AVG. 28.3 MPG GOING UP AND 30.2 MPG COMING BACK. I PLEASED WITH THE KIA. AROUND HOME I AVG. 23.4 MPG ON COUNTRY/CITY DRIVING.

I HAD A HONDA PILOT BUT IT WAS A LITTLE BIG FOR THE WIFE. SHE REALLY LIKES THIS VEHICLE.

KIA SEEMS TO HAVE DONE THERE HOMEWORK. I NEGO. A GREAT DEAL ON THE OTD PRICE.

I THINK DRIVING THE SPEED LIMIT MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH GETTING GOOD GAS MILEAGE.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    just hope the vehicle lasts more than a year or two without major mechanical issues..........it appears they have a durability problem still.....
  • fish2cat1314fish2cat1314 Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking about buy a Sorento in these days.

I really interest, which model you got ? 4 or 6??
    Hows ur speed on hwy/free way.
    :lemon:
    I bought a 4 cyl and the speed on the hwy is good, the 6 we have the fast pickup but mine is fine. I am usually going 70 most of the time as I travel 65 miles one way. gas mileage isn't that great still average 27 when they say up to 32. don't count on really good gas mileage. Traded in a Nissan Altima that was getting 32 and if I knew I wouldn't be up side down would go back but I wanted an SUV so now I am hoping it will get better gas mileage. I am at 16,000 now. Hope this helps overall love the vehicle.
    chadpro1: I have a 2012 EX with the GDi engine. Very happy with the performance. Acceleration is not as quick as the V6 that I first tried out but OK. I tried out both before buying. Highway crusing is fine. I have 3600 miles and am averaging 24.6 mpg, around town and freeway driving. Crusing at 65 mph I easily get 32 to 33 mpg driving on sourth Texas highways. A little less driving in the Texas hill country. Hope this helps.
    Thank you very much.
    I love a big SUV, but the mpg is really hurt!!
    Kia sorento is the only one I ""thought"" very good, but I really worried about the mpg that every "predecessors" said.
    I have 2 days to make the choice.
    I do know 25-26 hwy mpg for this huge SUV is really good, and I love the Sorento inside outside, too.
    So, if the mpg is really really hurt, I may buy a prius V (wegan hybrid), or honda accord (not hybrid, but a huge car).
    If you guys have any thought please tell me, I am a young new guy here.
    thank you agian. Orz :blush:
    Which one is better???!!!! Real world mpg!!
    I heard kia got around 23-26 mpg how about the honda CR-V
  • chadpro1chadpro1 Member Posts: 4
    I TRADED IN A 2011 HONDA PILOT FOR THE 2012 SORENTO LX WITH THE CONV. PKG.
    THE CONV. PKG. INCLUDES THE "GDI ENGINE, THE NEW 4 CYL. THAT IS SUPPOSED TO GET BETWEEN 22---32 MPG.

IF YOU DRIVE NORMALLY YOU CAN GET GREAT MILAGE.
    THE EPA SUGGESTS THIS MILAGE BUT THE OPTIMAL MPG IS MOST LIKELY BETWEEN 50-60 MPH.

I THINK THAT KIA WILL BE PHASING OUT THE BASIC 4 CYL. SOON.

WITH JUST 240 MILES ON CROSSOVER I TOOK A 1000 MILES TRIP THAT AVG. 29.4 MPG. GETTING 23-24 AROUND MY AREA INCLUDING BACK ROADS/CITY DRIVING.

WITH THE MONEY YOU SAVE BUYING A KIA YOU CAN MOST LIKELY SAVE $5000 BUYING IT RATHER THAN THE PRIUS.

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR DECISION.
    My suggestion is to look at the Ford Edge Ecoboost. 4 cylinder turbo with 240HP rated 21 city and 30 Highway. More second row legroom than most Mid sized Suv's. I know because I own a 2011 Sorento EX V6 FWD which I am considering trading in for a 2012 Edge Limited Ecoboost with Panoramic Roof and 20" Chrome Wheels. Got a good offer on the trade of $23,000 for my Sorento which I only paid $28,106 otd for with a MSRP of $31,100 in June of 2010. I can get the Edge at invoice with a $1750 rebate with the trade. Looking at $41,225 MSRP buying for $38905 then the rebate and trade. Cost more but a more solid feeling vehicle I think.
    my 2011 sorento was made the first week the plant was open. built 10/29/2009. bought 3/8/2010. two plus years and 28k miles it has been perfect. ex v6. highway about 27mpg and averages about 23mpg for our normal driving. in real life v6 gets pretty close to the mileage of the 4cyl and alot more power. bigger engines works easier.
    As I have posted here, I am getting 12-14mpg city, and about 18-19mpg highway. I have written and talked to KIA executive offices and was mailed a brochure on how to drive for better mileage, and a conversation that ended with there are "mileage variables"Great Co. response!!!! I am considering legal action that will undoubtley bring negative attention to the car and the Co. esp. the way they back up there product..
    Don't buy either, they don't stand behind there cars
    I have tried talking to managers and Co Execs, got the same lame answer as you did. They don't care as long as they sold the vehicle. I am getting 26 on the highway and was told 32. I hope we can do something more. :mad:
  • ediamiamediamiam Member Posts: 17
    about highway miles..I've noticed a recent trend when it started getting warmer in N.California. I was getting about 27 highway and most recently about 29, resetting the mileage calc such that it is based off of all freeway driving, about 70 mph. Today on the same stretch, it was hitting 32 consistently with temp about mid80s. I currently have about 11k miles. I drive consistently, don't get on the accelerator, always see the eco green light on. This only works on the flats. Going up the hill is like 23 mpg, just like in mixed city/highway.
    Boy That is great, I was told by KIA to do a fuel consuption test by my serviced dealer. He told me there is no such thing and that the only test to do is a highway test as you mentioned. I did it. Set my cruise on 60 for 15-25 miles and got a WOPPIN 15.9 MPG. Great vechicle Going to bring this to the attention of the media via the courts