Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sonata Bluetooth Problems

burnsy128burnsy128 Member Posts: 3
edited August 2019 in Hyundai
Has anyone had issues using the bluetooth on the 2011 Limited? Whenever I try setting it up or pairing it says "System not ready please wait a moment" and nothing ever happens?

BTW, love the car!

Comments

• jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    It would probably help if you would tell us what type of phone you have and which carrier you use.
  • burnsy128burnsy128 Member Posts: 3
    I have an iPhone 3g, AT&T service.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    I have an iPhone 3GS, and within 3 minutes of getting in the car, I had the BT phone system paired and running. However, I have the nav model Infinity stereo.
  • ceclintceclint Member Posts: 4
    I have a Samsung Instinct. No problem peering on my GLS.
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Have a Blackberry 8830 from Verizon. Had mine sycned up stopped at a traffic light on the way home from the dealer. No issue at all.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    I have a Droid and previously a Voyager on Verizon and a Samsung ACE on Sprint, no problem pairing with any of the three phones. Try going into setup through the head unit and using the buttons to pair the phone rather than your voice, maybe this will help. Or try it when you have already been driving for a while, like when you get to your destination.
  • vpiconevpicone Member Posts: 1
    I'm having trouble also. The iphone pares then disconnects and even when it is connected it tells me there is no phone connected. Very frustration.
  • meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    Same thing happened to me as well right after I paired my wife's phone while my phone was already connected.

When I figured out that my phone is not actually connected, I selected my phone on the menu and it displayed "Connecting..." or something like that. Then I immediately select connect menu on my phone. After that there is no problem at all.

Pair mine -> Connected -> Pair my wife's -> Both disconnected, just paired -> Connect menu on Sonata and Connect menu on my phone -> resolved!
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Has anyone with bluetooth issues ever thought to make sure that their phone is compatible to the bluetooth system for the car? I don't know how it is with Hyundai, but with GM cars only certain phones are capatible to their bluetooth system. You pair the phone than after turning the vehicle off and back on, it loses it's pairing because the phone is not capatible. So it might be a good idea to check and be 100% sure that the phone your're using is capatible. Just me .02
  • burnsy128burnsy128 Member Posts: 3
    As an update, I was unable to sync any phone to the 2011 Sonata, iphone or otherwise. I had the dealership take a look, turns out I have a faulty radio system that needs to be replaced. Seems like a waste considering thats the only thing wrong with the system, but oh well. They needed to order the radio and will be installing this week.
  • benjythehuntedbenjythehunted Member Posts: 1
    I've had my GLS for 2 1/2 weeks, and I was able to pair it to my iPhone 3G initially. In the last few days, though, the BT hadn't been connecting to it, so I tried re-pairing it. The phone recognizes the attempt to pair, but when I go to enter the passcode, it times out after a second or two. My Plantronics headset works fine, so I know that BT functionality still works with the phone. I guess I'll call the dealer, unless anyone has any other brilliant ideas.
  • j_veroj_vero Member Posts: 1
    I have a Samsung U550 cell phone that does not seem to be compatible with the Sonata. it seems to pair with the car's bluetooth system, but does not recognize any of the contacts in my phone. ---> I can't call anybody by their name, only by their number. Anyone have suggestions on how to sync it better?

Thank you...
  • hypothetical25hypothetical25 Member Posts: 2
    i have a GLS Hyundai 2011 Sonata and I can pair it with a Palm pre easily. i know the pairing works because i can stream music and make calls. However, for making calls, i have to typically wait a while (~10 mins) for the "phonebook downloading... " message to go away. i can take calls in the interim, but i cannot make any calls even by number until the phonebook download is done.

is anyone else seeing this? i do have gmail synced to my contacts, so the number is fairly large (>200+), but the issue is that it takes a random amount of time to sync. sometimes it is less than 5 minutes, others it can be 15 mins or more for the same address book!

love the car otherwise!
  • hypothetical25hypothetical25 Member Posts: 2
    update: after starting the car (but before shifting out of P), I pushed all contacts from my Pre to my car. The transfer took only ~10 seconds (total process took like a minute including the time to log in to my phone, select contacts and push operation). A few seconds later I could call by name.

So I'm pretty sure it's a protocol issue: the Sonata expects the phone to push the address book on every sync up and the Pre isn't doing so. So the Sonata waits till it times out and then uses the contacts it has already downloaded. Would be nice if there was a way to "abort or cancel" the sync up in the Sonata or automatically initiate "contacts push on pair" in the Pre.

Any one know how to do either or both of these?

thanks,
    hypo
  • heshnetmailheshnetmail Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have this problem? A few weeks ago, my 2011 SE's bluetooth lost all the pairings, and when I went to re-pair my phones, the SETUP began speaking French!!
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Sounds like your car surrendered.
  • natural1976natural1976 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problems. I just bought my 2011 sonata yesterday. Love the car but the phonebook updates every time I get in. I looked through my phones Bluetooth settings and checked the car manual - nothing, Any luck yet on your end?
  • heshnetmailheshnetmail Member Posts: 2
    Yes. The manual actually does show the language correction. It cycles through English, Spanish and Canadian French. I still don't know why I lost the phones, but I'm convinced it was something I did wrong.

If you haven't, check out

www.hyundaiusa.com/BlueTooth
  • ds7ds7 Member Posts: 1
    When I place a call using the bluetooth, I can barely hear the voice of the person through the speaker when they answer. However, when I call that same person using my cell phone, they come through loud and clear through the same speaker. This situation occurs for everyone I call using the bluetooth system only.

I have checked the Blueconnect pairing link and my phone is included on their list. I use a Pantech C520 cell phone.

Is anyone else having this problem? If so, how did you resolve?
  • cls5643cls5643 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchase a 2011 Sonata and I have a Samsung Cell Phone. The phone pairs, I can make calls and receive calls. My problem is that there always is an incoming call that can never be answered and rings constantly. Display says Incoming call and keeps ringing until I disconnect bluetooth from Sonata. Anyone else having the same problem or a solution?
  • cmastercmaster Member Posts: 4
    There is a separate volume setting in the Bluetooth setup, turn it up some and you'll be fine. I had this issue and this was the solution...
  • plasticmoonraiplasticmoonrai Member Posts: 6
    I have a Blackberry 9630 Tour on Verizon Wireless. Everything pairs beautifully until after I shut the car off and turn it back on again. Then my phone can't read the Bluetooth from the Sonata and a woman's voice from the Sonata repeats over and over again "Pairing failed, pairing failed, pairing failed."

According to the Hyundai web site where they have a Bluetooth compatibility chart, this model of Tour is listed as "passed" but as a Sprint phone, not Verizon Wireless. You would think they are the same thing to pass the test?

These problems are causing me nothing but headaches.
  • pamaf2003pamaf2003 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same "pairing failed" issue with my BB 8900 (ATT). The dealer installed a new audio system unit and now my cell works perfectly.... :)
  • skyholderskyholder Member Posts: 6
    Purchased my 2011 Sonota last night. Love everything about it, except.... isn't there always something.... The voice recognition leaves something to be desired. Is there a way to "train" the recognition? Haven't found anything in "the book."
    Thanks for the help.
    Contacted Hyundai, who passed me on the "Blue Connect".
    The answer... There's nothing to be done. It is not adjustable, nor trainable. Their answer? "Have you tried to change your contact's name to something the device will recognise?"
    Geeeeeeeee, thanks.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    edited October 2010
    Same issue. My Samsung Alias2 will also pair, but thinks there is always an incoming call that cannot be answered.

I contacted Samsung, and they said it is not their problem and there are no plans to update the Alias2 firmware. Hyundai just says to refer to the Bluetooth phone compatibility list. It shows that the Alias1 is compatible, but makes no reference to the Alias2 (which does not seem to work.)

Ultimately, I gave up and bought a TracFone Motorola W376g for $20 so I can use the Bluetooth in the car. Pairs up perfectly. Only feature that does not work is downloading the phone's phonebook to the system...I got around that by simply manually loading a phonebook myself into the Sonata.

Unfortunately I have 14 months left on the contract the Samsung phone is on. Not eligible for a phone upgrade for another 8 months. Might just pay the $125 to terminate the contract, instead of spending the $1100 over the next 14 months to finish the contract. I can live without mobile web (which is glitchy on the Alias2) and sending text messages (I have one friend that sends texts regularly...I will just tell them I no longer have text ability.)

One would think that any Bluetooth phone would be able to pair up, and send and receive calls with no issues. Looks like the Bluetooth "standard" really isn't much of a standard.
    Hello.
    It seems that the "bluetooth" associated with the navagation system is designed by another company. IT IS trainable. Go figure.

I'm have success by changing the names in my phone from first name, last name... to just last name. My wife was the oddest.... "pam" kept bringing up "Help". Got around that by renaming her, "wife".

Not sure I understand, "manually loading a phonebook". What do you mean?
    When I say that I manually loaded a phonebook to the Sonata's "in vehicle" phonebook, I hit the voice command button and speak the entries into the phonebook. I will say "phonebook", "add entry", by voice, then speak the name and number.

The Sonata lets you add contacts manually by voice, or by downloading contacts from the phone automatically. My model phone will not automatically transfer its entries to the Sonata's phonebook, so adding entries manually by voice is my only option.
    And is it then "stored"? My phone seems to have to re-store every time I get in the car.
    Yes, the entries loaded by voice are stored within the Sonata.

It sounds as though your phone autoloads its phonebook everytime it connects with the car. That is normal for phones that are compatible with respect to that feature.
    Okay. I guess loading them "by voice", would mean having to update periodically.
    Thanks for the insight.
    The only time the entries would need to be updated is if someone's number changes.

I loaded mine by voice 4 months ago and they are still there and work perfectly.
  • purrple_haazepurrple_haaze Member Posts: 1
    I need some help
    When I use the bluetooth, it'll dial and answer through my phone instead of the speakers
    how do I get it to answer through the speakers?
  • jangrojangro Member Posts: 2
    You said you...hit the voice command button and speak the entries into the phonebook. I will say "phonebook", "add entry", by voice, then speak the name and number... Which is the voice command button? I have a 2011 Sonata Limited. I've tried saying "phonebook" when I hit the button on the steering wheel that activates the voice dialing (and other commands), but I don't get anywhere except a help selection. Am I missing something ? Do I have to say "phonebook add entry by voice" all at once ?
    The voice command button is the one that has the icon of a person speaking,

I just press that, and say "phonebook". The system should then prompt you from that point for adding entries and how you want to do it (by voice or by phone).

You can also say "help" after pressing the button, and the system can guide you to adding phonebook entries.
  • pelgnerpelgner Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody give me a hint as to how I can get my LG429g phone to work with the Bluetooth that came with the car
  • wileywowileywo Member Posts: 2
    How do I fix this. "System not ready please wait a moment," for all bluetooth functions. What did I do wrong?
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    In reply to :

You said you...hit the voice command button and speak the entries into the phonebook. I will say "phonebook", "add entry", by voice, then speak the name and number... Which is the voice command button? I have a 2011 Sonata Limited. I've tried saying "phonebook" when I hit the button on the steering wheel that activates the voice dialing (and other commands), but I don't get anywhere except a help selection. Am I missing something ? Do I have to say "phonebook add entry by voice" all at once ?

The Limited with Nav does not have the function to add entries. It only transfers the contacts from your phone. Other Sonata's have a different radio, and they have the ability to store contacts in the car's memory.
  • nette05nette05 Member Posts: 5
    Did you get your issue resolved? I am experiencing the same issues. I had a blackberry curve with verizon, it was not on the list of compatible phones, so my dealer actually bought me a new blackberry storm2 which is on the list, and it still does not pair every time. HUGE HEADACHES for me too. The dealer did tell me yesterday that there have been over 1500 cases of this problem reported, and Hyundai has a technical team working on the issue.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    we have a sony ericsson W518a thru AT&T (a free phone with the 2 yr. plan) and must say it works excellent with the bluetooth. When we bought our 11 sonata in July the salesperson set it up for us.
  • christina77christina77 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the 2011 Sonata limited 2 days ago and am having the same issue with my T-Mobile Blackberry 9700. I tried everything from upgrading the software....trying to pair other phones to the car....I even made a T-mobile empolyee attempt to do it....nothing worked. I am able to pair the phone to my Mercedes ML-350....Im convinced its the bluetooth system and has nothing to do with the phone. If you find a solution let me know....I will do the same.
  • r225usr225us Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the 2011 Sonata today, Nov. 12th and there is a tsb (tech. svc. bulletin) that updates the navigation, bluetooth, and two other modules that the salesman installed today. My wife's Blackberry 9700 was recognized immediately and her contacts recognized by the vehicle.
    THANKS....I will call the dealer tomorrow to see if they know anything about this. The only reason they won't replace my radio, is they gave me a "loaner" to drive to see if it happened in the other car also, and it did. Today, I went to the Verizon store and their service person told me it appeared to possibly be a security issue that Hyundai would have to resolve. I went back to the dealer, and they called tech support who said it was a security issue Verizon would have to resolve. VERY FRUSTRATING!
  • goodeegoodee Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue. Came back home after being away and now getting this message. Were you able to fix??
  • wileywowileywo Member Posts: 2
    Unfortunately, I was unable to address this issue without replacing the whole unit. From what I was told, the Bluetooth along with the voice activation system froze. The technician did not indicate any definitive reason why the system gave me the, “Please wait, system not ready,” message or what caused the system to completely crash. However, since I had it replaced, and I mean the whole sha-bang, I have had no issues. After researching this online, I found it to be a rare problem. I recommend you contact the dealership and get it looked at. One piece of advice if I may- if the dealership tells you they need to swap the old one with new one, get them to but a priority/urgent request on that part. The parts department called me the day it was supposed to arrive and told me that part is back ordered several months. In fact, once they put a rush on it, I got it the very next day believe or not. Sorry to tell you this chap-take the car back and get it looked at. Don’t make the mistake of fooling with the buttons/fuses/battery/FAQ’S in the book/and any other brilliant idea that comes to mind. Good luck-cheerio….
    I think I resolved my "pairing failed" issue. I changed a setting on my phone to turn the encryption off. Since I changed this setting, I haven't received the error message at all and it pairs every time. I hope my problem is resolved.
  • opera2opera2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Blackberry 8530. It paired and worked for about 30 hours then failed and drives me nuts trying to pair it. So far no luck. Hyundai says it's a Sprint BB issue and has no immediate plans to change (update) the software for BT in the 2011 Sonata. Hyundai web site lists about 25 pages of compatible phones (most of which are a few years old) Newer phones seem to be the issue. Any help available? Sure would love to use the BT. Thanks
  • franthony23franthony23 Member Posts: 1
    do you know where i can find this tsb? does this require a trip back to the dealer? thanks for your help.
  • dburnetdburnet Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2011 SE Sonata, our problem is when people call us they have feedback, anyone know how to fix it.
  • pamarcpamarc Member Posts: 1
    Going through this now. Any calls from or to the sonata have issues. Hyundai changed radio with same results. Verizon tried a different phone and it worked, but then yet another phone did not. Condition does not happen with my AT&T phone. Next is trying the verizon on a different car blue tooth system.