Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Legacy vs. Suzuki Kizashi

tigerotor77wtigerotor77w Member Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Subaru
I'm a little on-the-fence about the 2010 Legacy vs. Suzuki Kizashi. It seems as if the new Kizashi is the fun-to-drive equivalent of the outgoing Legacy, but Suzuki dealers are few and far between.

Did anyone do direct comparisons between the Legacy and Kizashi and come up with one or the other? (I realize I'm in the Legacy forum...) I'd be happy to provide more details, but I'd like to stay out of the discussion and see how others have approached the situation.

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited March 2010
    You're right about the Kizashi as being a Legacy successor, at least as far as the old Legacy is concerned, and in AWD configuration. You're also right about very few dealers being around. I might also add that Suzuki sales have been in a suicidal tail-spin. Hopefully this car can reverse that trend. Early reports about the Kizashi have been very positive. Suzuki just needs to get the word out.

Having said that, Inside Line just purchased one as a long-term test car.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/Vehicles/2010-suzuki-kizashi-gts/

Bob
  • tigerotor77wtigerotor77w Member Posts: 4
    Maybe I should wait a year and see what happens. I wish the SE came with paddle shifters (I want AWD, remember); I don't particularly care for a sunroof, but paddle shifters with any CVT would be appreciated. (Score one for the Legacy.)

Anyone else have opinions? I'll try this here, too, but may need to start a new thread... has anyone gone from a Camry (or similar) to a 2010 Legacy? If so, what were your reasons and what are your impressions after driving both?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I was bummed to find out you can't get the 6 speed manual combined with AWD. You're stuck with the CVT.

C&D hit 60mph in 7.2 seconds, IIRC, with the 6spd+Fwd, so I had high hopes. But a CVT and the weight and drag of AWD will push that number in to the high 8s, killing the fun.

The warranty is fantastic and fully transferable but will Suzuki be around in 7 years to honor it? I wouldn't want to get stuck with an orphan car, just look at the values of a Daewoo Leganza.

I hope they can bounce back.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    edited March 2010
    rsholland asked, "has anyone gone from a Camry (or similar) to a 2010 Legacy? If so, what were your reasons and what are your impressions after driving both? "

I went from a Maxima (2003) to a 2010 Legacy Limited. I had actually been looking at a lightly used, 2009 Legacy but it felt a bit small and the trunk wouldn't have worked for my golf clubs. I had never bought a "new" car for myself, my wife's '04 Lexus was the first new car purchase ever for me, I'm in my 60s.

When I did the side-by-side comparison of sizes between Max and the '10 Legacy I think every dimension, except trunk size, was within 1/10 of one inch. The Legacy has definitley gotten bigger, but Maximas did as well.

I liked the ride and handling of the Legacy as well or better than anything else I looked at, it's not as quick, or fast as the BMW but I could get two Subies for the Bimmer money. I don't rack up the miles that I did when I was still working and living in Colorado now made the AWD a bonus. My wife was concerned that I would feel a 4 banger was underpowered compared to what I'd been driving but we put golf clubs, her a suitcase and me in it and headed up into the mountains, only to the 8300 foot level and it handled well.

I laughed when I first test drove a car with paddle shifters (an Infiniti a few years back) but living in the snow country, and often driving up to go skiing I appreciate being able to manually downshift without looking down to the shift lever.

I've got a bit over 4,000 miles in 4 months, about 1/2 highway and 1/2 in town, I've driven it to the mountains with 3 other adults (and back down in a pretty decent snowstorm) and I've been very pleased with the ride, handling and mileage.

BTW, mine is the H4 with CVT.

easypar
    rsholland asked, "has anyone gone from a Camry (or similar) to a 2010 Legacy? If so, what were your reasons and what are your impressions after driving both? "

Not me; it was someone else who asked that.

Bob
  • googonabikegoogonabike Member Posts: 27
    I am in the same boat. Currently there are two Subaru cars in our household. 2006 Outback and 2009 Legacy SE. 24 month lease on Legacy is up at the at the end of August. I cannot even bring myself to think about purchasing/leasing 2010.
    Even taking into consideration saving $300 disposition fee and having in hand $1500 in Subaru bucks.
    Exterior design is simply atrocious and interior surfaces - hard, with poor mar and scratch resistance, plastic all over and materials - cloth seats particularly are cheap and equally atrocious. Larger passenger volume does nothing for us empty nesters.
    Kizashi on the hand, is very well proportioned, not to flashy, nor over the top (vide 2011 Sonata), but quite elegant and classy. The same goes for the interior.
    It's been at the top of my list ( followed by Nissan Altima and soon to be available 2011 Kia Optima), since it was made available to reviewers and later consumers.
    There is however a but and it is a big one. And it is not almost non-existing dealer network
    (there two of them here within 15 miles radius), but the future of the Suzuki in US market. How seriously they are committed to stay here. Each just mentioned dealer has one (1) FWD SE for the past three months. No movement at all. Noticed Fitzmall has pretty decent selection. I am hopeful, when the time comes, there will be a larger selection at my local dealers. Am waiting for 5 speed FWD Platinum GTS.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    in our household. 2006 Outback and 2009 Legacy SE.

Both of these cars have about the same passenger room as the Impreza. Have you looked at the new Impreza which does not have the bloated look with no folding mirrors? I bought a new Foreaster XT recently to replace my 2005 3.0R Outback ....avoiding the bloated styling of the 2010 Outback.
  • tigerotor77wtigerotor77w Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, everyone, for the replies and thoughts -- googonabike, yup, same situation. Luckily, there is a Suzuki dealer in Springfield, IL -- 1.5 hours away -- that had an AWD SLS, so I was able to mess around with the paddle shifters and see how the AWD sedan handled [relative to my Camry], but

1) Springfield is a long ways away, even if the closest dealer is 45 minutes away (they had only a FWD SE, and the guy didn't seem particularly responsive).

2) I don't want an SLS; I want an SE with paddle shifters (which forces me into the GTS, but I don't want a sunroof).

As far as fit and finish, I think the Subaru actually looks nicer inside than the Kizashi, but of course this is personal preference. I like on the Subaru:

1) four-bar trunk hinge (i.e. unexposed trunk hinge);
    2) Placement of MPG gauge (digital readout);
    3) Look/layout of cabin
    4) AWD system
    5) Bigger trunk (useful for me, as my job will require moving every six months for the first two years)

I like on the Kizashi:

1) Nice to drive
    2) Looks
    3) folding mirrors

The Kizashi oil-change process is pretty convoluted -- it requires removal of a skid plate/aerodynamic plastic sheet underbody.

Given that neither car is perfect, it seems like all I'd be trading up for is more handing -- which honestly might not be worth spending another $15k on. I can put a rear sway bar in my Camry and get near the same improved handling...
    Thanks for your suggestion. Sounds like a good idea. Actually, I had 4-door Impreza in a back of my mind. Size wise is comparable to 2009 Legacy. Next time when passing Subaru dealer I stop by and take it for a spin. I still like Kizashi. It is so well screwed together. And the interior materials, fit and finish are all tops.
    Well, like yourself, I don't care at all about sun/moonroof. Owned three cars with one over the period of nine years and never opened it once. But, would love to have upgraded sound system and 18" wheels, and these come only with GTS.
    Thanks for your suggestion. Sounds like a good idea. Actually, I had 4-door Impreza in a back of my mind. Size wise is comparable to 2009 Legacy. Next time when passing Subaru dealer I stop by and take it for a spin. I still like Kizashi. It is so well screwed together. And the interior materials, fit and finish are all tops.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited March 2010
    Am waiting for 5 speed FWD Platinum GTS

Just a note here. Suzuki offers those wanting a manual tranny on their new Kizashi a 6-speed transmission, not a 5-speed.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Yup, same for the Legacy. :shades:
    one of the cars Suzuki looked at while designing the Kizashi was the Audi A4. You don't suppose the other one was the Subaru Legacy, eh?

• marvinlee1marvinlee1 Member Posts: 51
    Having enjoyed my 2004 Suzuki Verona purchased new, I drove both a Kizashi with automatic transmission and the Legacy Limited 3.6R sedan. The Kizashi had plenty of power, but mostly in the higher, and noisier, RPM range. The Legacy was, and is, a more serene car that better suits my usage patterns. I ordered it from the factory. If you are interested only in four cylinder models, the Suzuki should be very competitive. The company is about to launch an advertising campaign to help boost sales.
    Congrats.
    Advertising campaign is long past due, but more than anything else they need to start supplying dealers with cars. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, there are two dealers in the area, and so far each of them got only one car.
    This and almost utter lack of advertising for the car don't inspire confidence in Suzuki's commitment to its long term future here.
    This and almost utter lack of advertising for the car don't inspire confidence in Suzuki's commitment to its long term future here.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you here. And that's a real shame, as Suzuki has a real winner with this car. I just hope it's not a case of too-little-too-late.

Bob
    edited March 2010
    is that Suzuki would offer more manual-trannied Kizashi's at their dealers. They're about as hard to find as a New Jersey Nets win. If my wife and I move up to Elko, NV, which is in the works, the closest Suzuki dealer will be about 191 miles away, in Boise, ID.

The current inventory of Kizashi's at that store is 3 Kizashi's...all in automatic CVT transmission. :sick:

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Don't pick on my Nets. We'll be fine next season.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    We were just in Miami Beach, and at the Loewes, a fancy hotel, the valets parked an Aston Martin, an Audi, two BMWs, and a 2010 Subaru Legacy up front. :shades:
  • stapletondocstapletondoc Member Posts: 14
    My point of view comes from previously driving a GMC truck, BMW 3-series, a Saab 9-3, a VW Jetta TDI, a MB C-Class AWD, and a Suzuki SX4 touring crossover. I recently purchased a 2010 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD Automatic in Platinum Silver. Can I tell you how much I love the Kizashi? And this means alot because I am no Suzuki apologist. Before choosing Kizashi, I looked at Toyota Camry & Prius, Mazda 6, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, and the Subaru Legacy. For me, Kizashi seemed like a perfect fit---more style, options, and luxury for a smaller price point. The handling and interior reminds me considerably of the MB I used to drive. Performance-wise, I have had no problem flying up highway I-70 into the Colorado Rockies, with or without using the paddle shifters or auto manual functions. Luckily for Coloradans, there are several dealerships in the area. Shop around if you can. I went to Medved; Lisa gave me an amazing deal. Definitely, test drive it before you cross it off your list. You will be pleasantly surprised.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    Congratulations. I didn't consider the Suzuki as I wanted more of a "known quantity" that Subaru offers and more of an assurance that they'll be around in future and have a presence anywhere I travel.

I looked at the new car pricing in here and to outfit the Kizashi like my Legacy Limited the MSRP would have been very close to the Subie. Not sure how much, if any discount would have swayed me.

Just curious, how long did you own the SX4 and I guess you were pleased enough with it to go back to the source.

Anyway, enjoy the ride and maybe I'll see you up on the slopes.

easypar
    Congrats. :shades:

I don't get something - Suzuki sales were down 72% in March, what's up with that?

Kizashi should be picking them up, are they still in short supply or something?
    I was NOT a fan of my 2009 Suzuki SX4 automatic touring crossover. In fact, I hated it. I called it the shitzhu. It had excessive road noise and the droning automatic transmission was a nightmare if you wanted to drive up I-70 into the Rockies. Now, having said that, I did test drive the 2010 SX4 touring crossover with CVT/automanual transmission. The CVT is a huge improvement! It also seemed to have less road noise. I would recommend the 2010 SX4 CVT for budget conscious folks who want a utilitarian vehicle with AWD capability. If you are a true car enthusiast, I definitely recommend the Kizashi.
    The dealerships I went to here Denver said that Kizashi is still in short supply. American Suzuki really needs to a major advertising campaign to let people know the car even exists. The dealerships here say they selling them as quickly as they can get them in. However, I have yet to see another one on the road here in my neighborhood. Despite all that, I still love the Kizashi. I not paying a premium with tons of expensive scheduled maintenances for car that feels very much premium. Now, I realize this may be a bit of gamble....the car may depreciate quickly. But, traditional luxury cars lose considerable value as well.
    I owned it only 9 months.
    Suzuki also discontinued cheaper models, so those sales are lost.

Hopefully Kizashi can at least pick up the slack.
    Interesting article:

Suzuki cripples Kizashi plan
    Without technology from GM, hybrid and V-6 vanish

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100405/RETAIL03/304059967/1- 429#ixzz0kEQHAJqG
    Well, I would not panic, at least not yet. GM does not have competitive hybrid technology, as a matter of fact it has none. As far as V6s goes, they seemed to be a dying breed (thanks to Hussein Obama's CAFE STDS) in midsize sedan class. Even future VW Passat is not gonna have V6 engine (they must taken a clue from Sonata). I looked in my crystal ball, and I see the future: VW TSFI turbo in the Kizashi, and this I'd buy in a heart beat.
    Yeah, GM's hybrid is old-tech. But Suzuki is too small to design their own.

They'd be better off getting a TDI engine from VW as far as fuel misers go.

I hadn't thought about the VW partnership until this artible popped up.
    Man, this (VW TDI) engine in the Kisashi, considering its able chassis would be much better match than any hybrid, and a bona fide contender to boot.
    Just a few days ago I took a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI for a long (one hour) test drive on very diversified surfaces and roads (concrete freeways and black top twisty country roads), and I was mighty impressed. Aside from huge economical disadvantage of the TDI, cost of fuel and and ca. $4000 premium compare to gasoline mill, considering VW's spotty quality and very inconsistent reliability, I would definitely stay clear from this brand. I am speaking from my own experiance and more than fair share of problems with 2002 Passat. On the other hand, I'd love to see, and possibly buy Forester with boxer TDI.
    They have one in Europe but it won't meet CARB emissions standards unless they add urea injection, which would make it expensive.
    I can't figure out why people are buying more VW's worldwide than ever before. All I hear is bad news about how they break down from this thing or that thing. Do they reach popularity merely on body style?

I think they have improved, not to mention the difference between the most and least reliable cars is much smaller than it used to be.

Our nanny's daughter owned a Passat lemon, I swear she drove a Ford Five Hundred loaner more miles than she drove her Passat.

I really like TDIs but I'm not sure I could ever pull the trigger.

All cars have their issues (wheel bearings, anyone?) but with Subaru at least I'm familiar with them and there is a community around to help.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited April 2010
    I can't figure out why people are buying more VW's worldwide than ever before. All I hear is bad news about how they break down from this thing or that thing. Do they reach popularity merely on body style?

VW became the largest auto maker in the world because Toyota cut production last year. Also VW doesn't focus on the North America market like Toyota and GM. They have focused their sales efforts in China and South America - places the recession hasn't affected. They are also the number one brand in Europe with about 20% market share in western Europe.

I own an 05 Passat and completely love it. Great intial quality and thus far great long term reliability.

Every brand has issues - it wasn't too long ago that Toyota was considered bullet-proof.
  • marvinlee1marvinlee1 Member Posts: 51
    I owned a Suzuki Verona, purchased new. It was a very nice car despite some reliability issues. When considering a new car, I drove the Suzuki Kizashi and was unimpressed by the four cylinder engine noise and vibration, the small size, limited features, and the dark interior. It all felt marginal. We bought a Subaru six cylinder Legacy Limited and find it quite acceptable despite its own list of cost cutting issues.
    Some people like a smaller sedan, and think the Legacy grew too much.

Though I will say the majority of the public thinks the same way you do, just look at Legacy sales lately.
  • cammy2cammy2 Member Posts: 1
    kizashi is a great car everybody have they own likes and dislikes...i love the kizashi so much i bought one the car drives great...great value for the money putting a lot of main stream auto makers to shame with they big ugly cars...go suzuki...funny suzuki is in the same position hyundai was a couple years ago it wasnt cool to have a hyundai but suzuki cars are way better looking kizashi is a great start stop hating on suzuki kizashi and buy one you will like this car...i do..privious car was a jetta
    I think like you do. The new Suzuki Kizashi rocks! Whoo-hoo!

This discussion has been closed.