Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Honda CR-V Ex - Vibrate/Rumble at 1500 RPM

honda2010crvhonda2010crv Member Posts: 4
My brand new 2010 CR-v EX rumble/virbate at 1500 rpm. I love the car, but the rumbling drives me crazy. I contacted the dealer and the American Honda. They could not help me to fix this issue. Dealer says "Its the characteristic of the car". How can annoying rumbling, vibration can be a characteristic of the car? Does any one have the same issue with their new 2010 cr-v?

Comments

• lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Does it rumble all the time at 1500 rpm or just briefly near the end of engine warm up? My '07 CR-V sometimes does the latter, and I've noticed it on some other cars as well. I've always assumed it was a consequence of the inevitable trade off between minimizing emissions and maximizing gas mileage while the engine warmed up, especially on a large 4-cyl. engine. In the old days they'd tweak the idle speed a little higher to solve the problem. No more.

Your complaint is not uncommon. What's reasonable and what's not varies with each driver. I assume the dealer says everything's within normal operating parameters? Try another dealer, I guess.
  • honda2010crvhonda2010crv Member Posts: 4
    It happens all the time, whenever the speed is about 1500 rpm. Its pretty bad when you want to maintain the speed of the vehicle by keeping the foot on the pedal.

I tried another dealer. He mentioned that I am not the first one to complain about this issue. Even they tried to fix one of the CR-V's as per American Honda's advise.
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    It happens all the time, whenever the speed is about 1500 rpm. Its pretty bad when you want to maintain the speed of the vehicle by keeping the foot on the pedal.

Since the engine is at this low RPM, were you driving in 25-35mph zone when this is happening?

I wonder if the transmission box is going up and down a gear whenever you step on the gas pedal?

When the gear box is going up or down, you will have a feel of vibrate or rumble. It is normal unless you have a CVT.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    >>It happens all the time, whenever the speed is about 1500 rpm. Its pretty bad when you want to maintain the speed of the vehicle by keeping the foot on the pedal.

In 5th gear? If so, that's just about the point in which the engine will lug. Before the pressure to increase mileage the shift point would have been a couple hundred RPMs higher. My CR-V gives signs of lugging at 1500 RPMs in 5th, especially if on even a slight incline.

I wouldn't call my experience a rumble. But you've got plenty of company who would.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    For better fuel economy, the CR-V has a lock-up torque converter. Its' will allwo the engine to "lug" as low as 1300RPM in 4th or 5th gear. It's most noticeable in 5th gear at around 40-45mph because at that speed the car needs a large amount of throttle to maintain speed, causing the "rumble".

Honda probably should have used a active noise canceling system like they use on the Odyssey, Accord V6 and Pilot taht deavctivate cylinders and GM uses on the Equinox/Terrain, for what I suspect is the same problem. Tuning engine mounts to work at a wide range of RPM's is chllenging...especially lower RPM's which tend to have larger amplitudes and are closer to the 2nd and 3rd order resonant frequencies of the chassis and interior components.

As the car breaks-in and the engine loosens up, it will get less noticeable.

Most 4 cylinder vehciles have similar issues. Our Nissna Altima "hunts" for the right CVT ratio at 35-40mph that causing an intermittent surging or sorts as it alternates between 2 gear ratios. even though it's a CVT, it's does not have infinite ratios, it's something like 300 predefined pulley positions.
  • glt3745glt3745 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2010 CRV EX-L and took it today after driving it less than 100 miles to have the dealer fix the vibration problems. I have 2 problems....first, a vibration felt in the steering wheel at 40 mph and higher. Secondly, a vibration felt throughout the vehicle when stopped and the engine at idle.

Also, I complained of the very harsh ride. They re-balanced the wheels and said that the other items are just normal for this vehicle.. Their work today didn't change a thing....I am really disappointed in this vehicle....I traded in a 6 yr old Saturn with 115K miles that didn't have these issues....wish I had it back!!
  • eabladeeablade Member Posts: 2
    I have a crv 2010, umm I drive it always and had it since dec and I don't get any rumble sound when i drive, Over the winter in the cold when i started it up I got a little.... sounds like something to look into BTW i have a CRV EX
  • tman12tman12 Member Posts: 1
    My 3 week old 2010 CRV EX-L also has the same low frequency rumble at 1500 rmp in 5th gear at speeds between 40 mph - 55 mph.
    I went back to the dealer and had their ace service tech ride with me to demonstrate the noise to which he acknowleged hearing as well. He said I was the first to notice this as they have had no complaints about this. He agreed that the engine was laboring at this speed and is so to get the gas mileage up by putting it in 5th gear as soon as possible. They do not have any TSB's related to this problem as of yet. I requested that I test drive another new one to see if it exhibited the same problem and it indeed did. I will live with the problem as is since overall the car is very nice.
  • jumbocavsjumbocavs Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2010 Pilot. THe dealer is telling me the ECO mode is creating the rumble. It happens between 1500 and 1800 RPMS usually between 25 and 50 mph. It certainly does rumble going in and out of ECO mode but the fact that I am able to maintain the problem at light accelerations leads me to beleive its not that. I beleive Honda has torque converter problems. A problem with a torque converter would create the same kind of rumble especially at lower speeds while the torque converter locks and unlocks. Unfortunately, the torque converter problem cannot be fixed without replacing the whole transmission as its all together in the Honda's. I may get rid of my Pilot because of this issue. I had the same problem with my old pilot and it was fixed by replacing the tranny.
  • hoff011hoff011 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    Hi i know this post is somewhat old but I too am experiencing the same chatter/vibration all the time from 2011 CRV AWD and a lot of rumble when the rpms are about 1500 unless accelerating. I don't know a lot about cars, but I do know when I took this car off the lot it was fine.

What changed was this. The car was driven in some mud and needed to get the under carriage power washed and wheels balanced. After that the car has not been the same. I needed to get a TSB 10-077 done since the engine was very sluggish (didn't feel that way before, but the tsb fixed that problem), but I am still experiencing much more vibration and rumbling than before. The car just doesn't seem the same. It's pretty upsetting that this car drove like a dream until now. I am pretty ocd when it comes to noise from my cars so this bothers me every time I get into it.

I do remember test driving a crv back in 09 and thought the car felt the same way which shyed me away from it.