Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bought a certified pre owned 2006 Acrua TL AND GETTING SCREWED!!

jnoell112jnoell112 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Acura
So I bought my TL two days before thanksgiving. It was a certified pre-owned and I paid $19995 for it. I have had it for 4 months and the clutch went out this past weekend. I took it to the dealership and they said clutch isnt under warranty and that its going to be $2800 to fix it. My thing is I Paid so much for the car that I shouldnt have to pay another $2800 to fix it after 4 months. I dont know what to do. I am in the military and dont make a lot of money, and dont have $2800. They want $600 just to tear it apart and see if it would be covered under warranty. Does any one have any suggestions? I feel like I got screwed over!!

Comments

• gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    Sorry to hear that. Acura is a little different than Honda in many ways. I currently own two Acuras a 07' TLS and 10' TSX v6 / w tech. You are now in the "Luxury Segment." Get out your wallet and bend over! They are very expensive to fix when they break! Normally a clutch is about $800 to fix in a regular car. $2,800 sounds like robbery! How many miles are on it? I would contest that and call Acura Corporate. They should stand behind you. Good Luck to ya! :sick:
  • jvettejvette Member Posts: 70
    The clutch is just like brake pads, they are considered normal wear items. Most times with a certified car the brakes are checked and replaced if needed but they just don't take the time to see the condition of the clutch. I would be all over the dealer about this and ask how they certified this car when the clutch was just about shot. Of course they are going to say you abused the clutch and it was fine when they sold it to you.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    edited April 2010
    Here is a case where you need to find a lawyer to state your case to them in a letter. Be sure to send this to the president of the dealership. Fed Ex the document. They "certified" this car..It is reasonable to expect it will drive under it's own power for more than 4 months. Be sure you include all your records and contact summary to the dealership owner...get a car fax report as well. Go for "good faith" that the owner will want to make this go away. Refrain from any overt threats to litigate..that will be apparent to management by your avenue of communication. The owners do not like to spend time as a witness on these small cases..If they fail to respond then take them to small claims court. .It's worth the trouble if you are organized and sincere in what you state to the Judge. Good luck.
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    Sorry about your bad experience - one wonders if the previous owner abused the car. In any case, certified pre-owned is often just a marketing gimmick - a means to charging a higher price without necessarily carefully checking over the car as the advertising implies. So, it is buyer beware when buying a used car whether or not it is certified, which means having it carefully checked by a skilled independent mechanic.
  • wbickfordwbickford Member Posts: 1
    This is the same old story. I recently had my 2006 Acura TL in for the 45,000 mile service and took it to the Acura Dealer in Lynwood. Car had 49,000 miles on it. Service included transmission and guess what I went into Jeff's Auto on Sand Pt way for a detail and oil change (54,600 miles) and they informed me my transmission fluid was extremely dirty and needed changing. I call the service department up in Lynwood they said bring it in and we will check it out. No way, read the reviews about this dealership and it is sorry. I will be using the internet to read reviews in the future. So Jeff's Auto tells me the oil change was done and it will cost $39.95, and I said " That sounds pretty cheap for a synthetic oil change", the guy replied it doesn't require synthetic oil. I didn't flip out, remained calm. His database indicates 5-20 motor oil. the owner's manual shows synthetic engine oil.WTF???????????????/
This discussion has been closed.