Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3 leaking?

whiskerswhiskers Member Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in BMW
Purchased an '07 automatic X3 CPO 5 weeks ago. Just noticed a large puddle of an oily substance on the garage floor! The leak is located on the garage floor in the center of the vehicle and seems to be almost right under the gear shift area. Leak is probably 12" in diameter. What can this be?

I am hoping that it is covered under warranty. Any thoughts or info wold be appreciated. Thanks-

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I'm sure it's covered. Probably a seal on the transmission or transfer case. Definitely a rare occurrence.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• whiskerswhiskers Member Posts: 4
    Actually my service advisor said the transmission pan gasket that was leaking. After having the gasket changed (was covered under original warranty) I brought the X3 home today and it is still leaking on my garage floor...only the leak is now much worse. After owning this CPO for only 7 weeks, I am really frustrated to say the least.

The car is revisiting the dealer again tomorrow and hopefully they'll take the time to explore this issue further. I did find a repair bulletin for the 2007 X3 for a transmission leak. It states that "transmission fluid may leak from the Selector Shaft Seal and that it often appears to be coming from the pan gasket". I did share this find of mine with my service advisor before I picked up the car but he assured me that the issue was the pan gasket and that everything was fixed. I am livid right now. Does anyone else have experience with this problem or have any advice to offer? Thanks-
    You have an incompetent dealer. BTDT, and it's very frustrating. Give the idiots one more chance then start raising Hell with BMW NA. DO NOT let them charge you another $50, either.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• whiskerswhiskers Member Posts: 4
    The dealer was kind enough to drive 1 1/2 hours round trip to pick up the car from my house to hopefully repair the car correctly this time. Dealer called later that day and said the leak was a selector shaft seal, just as the repair bulletin that I originally told him about said, and not the pan gasket. The X3 is fixed, according to the dealer, and they'll drive it back out to me on Monday if it hasn't leaked over the weekend while they still have it. Luckily this was an original warranty issue and I didn't have to pay anything...being as I've only had the car 7 weeks now.

This is my 1st experience with BMW repair service. Don't they look at the repair bulletins and do the work necessary to be sure the car doesn't have to come back? Or don't you think they'd consider my thoughts when I mentioned the repair bulletin I found? I am flabbergasted my X3 even made it out of the shop the 1st time as it leaked as soon as I brought it home! I guess I expected better or more accurate repair service with a luxury car vs the non-luxury car that I had before.

Roadrunner you might be right about my dealer. Thanks for your input during my very frustrating experience. Hopefully I won't need it, but I will take your advice about BMW NA if I need to.

Thanks again-
    edited April 2010
    This is my 1st experience with BMW repair service. Don't they look at the repair bulletins and do the work necessary to be sure the car doesn't have to come back? Or don't you think they'd consider my thoughts when I mentioned the repair bulletin I found? I am flabbergasted my X3 even made it out of the shop the 1st time as it leaked as soon as I brought it home! I guess I expected better or more accurate repair service with a luxury car vs the non-luxury car that I had before.

I believe that BMW NA really does care about their customers' service experiences, but US auto dealer franchise laws(which are heavily biased towards the dealer) make it hard to crack the whip sometimes. I'm very blessed in that my local dealer(Swope BMW in Louisville KY) runs a first-rate service department- so much so that my wife won't consider another brand because of the efficient and respectful treatment that she receives. Unfortunately service writers just don't listen to customers, which is a crime. If it makes you feel any better, I have to take my Mazdaspeed 3 to Cincinnati(over two hours away) for service due to the rank incompetence of the two Louisville Mazda dealers.

Sad to say, but the BMW CPO program is only as good as the dealer who inspects and sells the cars. Again, Swope has sold us two CPO cars and both were in perfect condition when delivered. In fact, it was impossible to tell that our X3 already had 16,000 miles on it.

In any case, don't hesitate to ask for help if you have any further questions or issues. I've owned/wrenched on/tracked/competed in Bimmers continuously since 1983 and I'm more than happy to provide assistance.

• pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    The dealer probably wondered how you got it home as well. Maybe that's why they came and hauled it away.

I write up everything and hand a copy to the dealer when I bring the car in. I hope he checks off the issues but at least I have it documented and, hopefully, they keep the list for their files...not sure about that.

;)
This discussion has been closed.