Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Depressurizing Fuel System in 2001 Forester

rangerbugrangerbug Member Posts: 9
edited July 2014 in Subaru
I am trying to replace the fuel filter on my 2001 Forester.  According to my Chilton's manual, the first step is to depressurize the fuel system by opening the filler cap and disconnecting the fuel pump relay.  The manual shows the relay as the rightmost connector in a bracket holding 3 connectors: blower fan, main relay, and fuel pump relay.  In the actual car, the connectors appear to run top to bottom.

Question 1: is the fuel pump relay the upper or lower connector?  If the upper, is it just a matter of tilting the relay out of its bracket?  I had no problem getting the lower connector out that way.  Due to its less accessible position, I'm finding the upper one harder to disconnect.

Question 2: once the relay is disconnected, how long should it take for fuel to run out of the system once I start the engine?

Thank you.

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I changed mine twice without doing that, just opening the filter cap. Not a lot of fuel spilled either time. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just keep a rag handy to absorb the small amount that spills.

There's more fuel in the filter itself than from pressure in the lines.
  • rangerbugrangerbug Member Posts: 9
    Thank you, ateixeira. That will simplify things immensely.

Terry
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    I second AJ's suggestion. I have changed filters in several cars and all exhibit the same effect - only a small amount of fuel spills. I just cover the line with a rag as I disconnect to prevent any spraying but so far have had no problems.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • rangerbugrangerbug Member Posts: 9
    Mission accomplished.

I got the old filter into a pan right away, so no fuel spilled in the engine compartment. Engine runs really smoothly now. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Terry
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Glad to hear it went well. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.