Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Equinox Problem in Rain

dianneddianned Member Posts: 5
edited April 2019 in Chevrolet
I have an issue with my equinox when I drive it in rain. After driving about 10 km on the highway it begins to get a shake, makes a noise almost like I've lost my muffler or it's bogging out and I lose power. If I take my foot off the gas the noise and vibration stop. Can't determine if the noise is coming from the front or back. Also, after turning it off, the next time I start it I get a message saying"stabilitrak off". Has anyone experienced this? I've had it back to the dealership 6 times and they can't determine what it is. They have replaced the rear end entirely and yet it still continues. I think potentially something electronic getting wet but not sure.

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you have been experiencing concerns with your vehicle. How long has the concern been present? What is the VIN of the vehicle? Have you taken the vehicle back to the dealership to see if they can diagnose the issue? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • dianneddianned Member Posts: 5
    I have had it to the dealership 6 times and they are unable to locate the problem. The problem has existed since I bought it brand new.
    Thank you for getting back with me. Do you currently have a case with GM? If so, what is the case number? Also, what is the VIN of the vehicle? Thank you,
    I don't have a case with GM specifically, I've just been dealing with the dealership. Can you provide me with contact information so that I can provide you with my VIN ?
    Hello,
    You can email me at socialmedia@gm.com. That is the best way to get a hold of me. Thank you,
    Thank you Maria. I started a case with GM yesterday.
    Your welcome! : )
  • ecky1ecky1 Member Posts: 5
    I also have this problem, exactly as you described it! Hard to explain as it ONLY happens in the rain. Did you ever find out what the problem is/was???
    Have never has the message "stabiltrak off' though??
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry to hear your Equinox is losing power in the rain, ecky1. Have you already had it looked into before? What year Equinox do you have?

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I am in the process of describing this to GM, they are looking into it. I am not going to take it to a dealer unless they know what is wrong, as the person before me said they had been 6 times and still no answers.
    My Equinox is 2009. I actually don't lose power, it is the noise like the exhaust is about to fall off, or there is a terrible hole in it?? I have no 'messages' about anything being wrong, and it has never done it on a dry day. Only very wet days, if it is just misty out or a bit of rain, no trouble, but pouring rain, and it happens every time. Of course it is never a time that I could go to a dealer and show them the problem, so my son and I are the only ones that have heard it!
    Also when you are accelerating, when you take your foot off the gas, it stops and then when you put on the gas the rumbling gets louder and pretty near shakes the whole car??? If GM has any answers, I will post.
  • jdkruzjdkruz Member Posts: 1
    I was hoping a response was coming soon to this posting. I also have a 2009 Equinox AWD and am experiencing the same exact scenario. My dealer has pursued the elusive issue for 40,000 miles. I have not had any other problems so it is frustrating to go to the dealer and describe this ghost. I recently drove in some strong thunder storms so I had to listen to this for 250 miles, almost drove the wife up a tree. I was almost hoping something would break so we could find this issue but so far nothing. GM will neither deny or confirm that there is a known problem so good luck to us all.
    JDKRUZ!
    I also searched this problem on the GM site and had a GM associate contact me and had described the problem, they then called a local dealer and found someone that actually knew what the problem was. They instructed me to take my car to the dealer and have it fixed. Rear differential module is apparently the problem...and it is covered under the powertrain warranty!!! That was awesome news to me!! I have had it in to be fixed, but have yet to have a rainy day to see if it worked! The mechanic that fixed it knew what it was because he had the same vehicle and happened to him as well!
    If you would like this is the number for the GM person I talked to, she was very helpful and hopefully she can be as much assistance to you as she was to me.
    I spoke to Deanna and I called 1-800-263-3777 option 4 extension 2829.
    I think if we continue to post the problem should be looked after for everyone.....how can you describe something that only happens in the rain???!!!
    Good Luck!!
  • rdawson533rdawson533 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Did that fix your problem? 4th time going back to the dealer.
    rdawson533
    I haven't had many really rainy days to see, but last weekend was rainy and I am happy to say, so far so good, no noise!! Hopefully that was what was 'broken' and it is now fixed! You did read the earlier post that I made about it being the rear differential module?? Mine was fixed under warranty too, which made it even better!
    Good luck!
    Hi ecky1 and jdkruz. I'm sorry to report that I no longer own my Equinox. I was extremely upset with the service and run around I received with this issue and chose to dump it. I can tell you that the problem was "fixed" and I use that term loosely. After GM had an engineer come in and take a look at it they determined that the problem was in the exhaust. The theory was that because the exhaust system was so tight, that after driving the vehicle for about a ten minute period and the exhaust heated up, the cold rain hitting the exhaust would cause the pipe to contract, therefore losing it's seal. The dealership installed a Flex pipe and from that day forward the problem never occured again. I could not get an answer as to why this would cause a loss of power and a shake in the entire vehicle though. I spoke a gentleman at a muffler/exhaust shop who specializes in this area and he said he has never heard of exhaust issues causing a loss of power or vehicle shake. So all in all, if you haven't yet had the issue rectified, you can try this. Funny that after there was thousands of dollars spent on warranty work trying to find a solution that it was a $20 Flex Pipe that fixed it. Good Luck!
  • slipp16slipp16 Member Posts: 1
    Funny i found this post. This problem has occurred with my 2009 pontiac torrent since about 6 months from when I purchased the vehicle brand new. I brought it in to dealer as well and they could not diagnose the problem either. I felt as though they thought I was nuts!
    Funny as mine is a torrent not an equinox but that is the exact problem. a possible recall??

Unfortunately I still have my equinox....now it has had the engine light on most of the winter, now the stabilitrack and engine power reduced light comes on most days. I definately lose power as I can pretty much put the medal to the metal and go nowhere! The RPM's get up to about 4 1/2 and then it might finally change gear. I am SOO looking to get rid of it, but want the engine light off before it goes in to be traded! They now are saying the problem is the throttle body need replaced??? used for about 150 new 500+ NICE! NOT :(

• KabfishKabfish Member Posts: 2
    I have the same issue as described in the posts with my 2014 Chevy Equinox. Rainy/humid days runs rough, no power, shifts at high RPMs. When nice out, still idles rough, loss of power but not as bad as rainy/humid/snowy days. This all started during that cold snap we had this winter, started the car up after work and could tell instantly something was different.
  • KabfishKabfish Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention, never have had the "check engine" light come on or any other warnings.