Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    jg295,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • jg295jg295 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Caron. I sent you an email. Please respond at your earliest convenience.
  • doublel1217doublel1217 Member Posts: 1
    gmcustsvc,
    I am having the same problem on my 08 Impala with the front passenger door and the rear drivers side door. The dealership told me it would be close to $600 to fix both of them. I am having the Fresh air door actuator replaced currently and its over $250 to fix it. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,
    Loyd
  • tryan923tryan923 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Suburban with around 50K miles and 3 of 4 door locks have failed within a couple of months. The dealer told me this morning that he didn't have them in stock to repair at this time. I decided to google about this trouble and found this forum. Is there any hope to get GM to do something about this chronic problem with these models? We had a 2003 Suburban that seemed to be a better vehicle. My wife has always said that it rode better. My 2007 Impala has not had a failure yet, but it appears that I can expect the door locks on it to fail as well.
    Loyd (doublel1217),
    Are you having this work done at the dealer? Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? Can you please email me your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and contact information? I apologize for your frustrations. I look forward to speaking with you. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • eadams3eadams3 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with 78,000 miles and my front passenger door will not lock. I can use the key fob to lock it or even manually lock it and all doors will lock except for the front passenger door. The lock will go down, but not lock. When I set the security system, the passenger door still remains unlocked. What could this be? It obviously isnt a fuse or the door lock wouldn't go up and down. Any ideas?
    eadams3,

Could you please email us your VIN? We would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • lwharmalwharma Member Posts: 2
    My Suburban's power door locks went out about a year ago (one at a time over the course of a few months.) My vehicle was still under warranty at the time so I went to the dealership expecting to get it fixed. They told me that this (very common) issue was not covered under my warranty and it would cost $175 per door just to look. This is just crazy. I paid $55,000 for my beloved Suburban and should not be paying out of pocket for this issue. I agree there should be some sort of recall.

Since then my life driving my suburban has been a nightmare and my neighbors are getting really irritated. Since hitting the lock button engages the alarm but doesn't actually lock the door, we are forever tripping the alarm thinking it was unlocked. Additionally, I have 3 girls in car seats and none of them can lock or unlock the doors. So every time we go somewhere, I have to make a trip out to the car first, use my key in the only door that has a key hole to get in, then climb through the suburban to unlock the doors. Once my girls are in there seats, I have to climb back through and lock them. When I stop anywhere I have to do it all over. . .and over. . .and over. It's unnerving after shopping to leave my twin two year old in their stroller in the parking lot with their 5 yr old sister standing guard while I perform my unlocking ritual.

This is really ridiculous and it really is getting old. I found this forum and am mildly hopeful
    that chevy will display integrity and take care of this issue. I would be estatic. Please tell me what I need to do!! Thank you!!

Lisa
  • coyotehowitzercoyotehowitzer Member Posts: 4
    I wrote in this forum, about my problem with 2 of the actuators going in my suburban, approximately 6 months ago and never received any comment from the gm reps, however doesn't it seem strange to anyone that there are at least a hundred or more documentations on this forum alone and we still have gm reps NOT acknowledging the problem but rather they will look into it , as if all of these people have colluded and are lying for some bizarre thrill. It is this same arrogance that has led to GM to having lost confidence with the buying public and will continue to erode until they accept responsibilty and issue a recall, which is long overdue. My children are now 12 and 16 and have grown up knowing the issue with the locks and how they have had to be cautious, unfortunately it looks like it will take a serious injury of someones child before they will be spurred or forced to take action. This is a pathetic demonstration of inaction by a large company which thinks they can stonewall their consumers until this batch of vehicles are consigned to the junk heap.
  • lwharmalwharma Member Posts: 2
    Great. . . There goes my glimmer of hope. Thank you for your input. Now I know not to sit around and wait for to long. Can you tell me how much it cost to replace yours per door? Thank you!

Lisa
  • palm1palm1 Member Posts: 5
    Sorry for the late response, I have been travelling. Unfortunatley I was not given a case number since the representative at GM told me that my suburban was no longer under warranty after I gave my VIN and that there was nothing further that they could do.
  • jimh13jimh13 Member Posts: 1
    gmcustsvs,

I'm adding my 2-cents worth here... There is clearly a problem with the quality of the door lock actuators GM has used in this model series. A simple google search will find 4 different GM truck-specific forums that are wall papered with posts from really aggravated GM customers regarding this door lock actuator problem. I have personally read more than 250 separate posts that all say the same thing, essentially: If this is not considered a warrantable defect, what is? Many go on to say that they've been loyal GM customers for years but won't buy another GM because of their failure to act on such a clear case of faulty product. There are now 218 posts in this string and if that isn't enough bad publicity on such a well followed site such as Edmunds, go read what's being said about GM customer support on the GM truck-specific forums.

It's interesting that my '92 Suburban that I've owned since new and now with 320K miles has never had a door lock actuator failure but on this 3yr old model, I've already had one replaced by dealer shortly after sale, and I've replaced the other 3, since it's "beyond warranty", as well as replacing again the first one that failed and was replaced by dealer. I don't see how product failures of this type can be either neglected or considered not warrantable by a supposedly quality and customer-oriented company.

It's also interesting that the dealer price for these actuators has more than doubled since the reports of frequent failure first started appearing in forums a few years ago. What's that all about? The parts are identical, made in the same foreign country, and now they're twice the price since GM is selling so many? That's just plain thievery and a real slap in the face to your customers. There is no way that the direct cost of these actuator assemblies could be more than $20 and GM is charging nearly 7 times that cost. Shame on GM!

This is a Really bad show GM. If you want more and more customers that will never buy another GM product, continue to keep up the dismal response to these clear examples of poor product quality.

Signed,
    Another lost GM customer of more than 40yrs
  • mikehoustonmikehouston Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to the GM reps on this forum and the fine folks at Knapp Chevrolet my issue with the locks have been resolved. They ended up having to replace all four.
  • jlgrahamjlgraham Member Posts: 4
    As a followup for everyone to read, I was very encouraged by the initial response I got from GM Customer Service. They responded almost immediately to my post and although it took several phone calls we finally talked. There has been no resolution as of yet but was contacted by a district customer service rep that told me they had escalated my case and to expect a followup call this week. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has had a satisfactory or not so satisfactory resolution to this ongoing problem?
    tryan923,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. By chance, have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    jlgraham,
    Can you please send me your case number? I would like to look through it and see whats going on. I look forward to your response. :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    mikehouston,
    Thank you for the update. If you need anything else you know how to get a hold of us! Have a great weekend! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    palm1,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you send me your VIN and current mileage? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • tayreevestayreeves Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2008 Chevy Tahoe that has similar door lock problems with two of the four locks. One of the locks was repaired in the first year. Now there are two that do not work and it seems obvious that there is some sort of defect. While this is a major inconvenience the danger of not being able to open the door in an energency is what scares me. Very frustrating and I am a loyal GM customer.
    tayreeves,
    I apologize for your frustration. Can you please send me your VIN, current mileage and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    coyotehowitzer,
    I apologize you did not receive a response to your post. Any customer experiencing concerns are more than welcome to email me with their concerns, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. When we look into these concerns we look into recall information etc. We also set up cases for customers to report the concerns to GM as well as try to come to a resolution to the customers concerns. I understand it can be frustrating seeing all these posts about door lock issues; however, these concerns need to be documented and reported to GM. This is part of what I do here on the forums setting up cases for customers. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jlgrahamjlgraham Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    Christina...case number is 71-983599493...I received a call last week with an offer from GM that would extend my warranty period on these components but not willing to do anything for the cost I incurred to replace the door lock that was not covered previously. I was told there was nothing they could do for that cost but was willing to extend the warranty for a period of 24 months and 30,000 additional miles, which ever comes first. I felt like it was "take it or leave it" time with not other options. I still believe that this is something that should be recalled because of the safety factor, especially if you have children in the vehicle. I have been a loyal GM customer, however, it issues like this that make customers switch brands.
  • palm1palm1 Member Posts: 5
    Christina, The mileage on my 2008 Suburban is 28, 600 and the VIN is 1GNFK16338J196069. I really need to get this resolved as my children are continually getting locked in the back door. Thank you
  • orlewis3orlewis3 Member Posts: 3
    I have been driving Chevy Tahoes since 1995 and this is my 3rd Tahoe. I, like many others on this forum, am very frustrated with the door lock problem. The driver side front door lock stopped working in May and now the driver side rear door lock is now not working. What a pain? I called my local dealer and they say the problem is currently not under recall. How can something like this, a major safety issue, not be under recall? Unfortunately, my warranty expired last month. The service manager said he wished he had a nickel for all of the actuators he's replaced on these Chevy and GMC late model trucks.
  • tayreevestayreeves Member Posts: 2
    Christina,

VIN#1GNFC13J88R271088
    MILEAGE 62,420
    ORIGINALLY SERVICED AT:
    GATEWAY CHEVROLET IN AVONDALE, AZ
    YATES BUICK GMC IN GOODYEAR, AZ
    VAN CHEVROLET IN SCOTTSDALE, AZ

I have moved to Californina and now I work with Armando Ramirez at Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa, CA. Please do the right thing and get this covered under warranty. There is obviously a defect and if you are not going to issue a recall the least GM can do is cover this under warranty even if all the customer has left is a drivetrain warranty. Like I mentioned before I had already had problems with the locks when the Tahoe was relatively new.

Thanks!
  • joecheesejoecheese Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2008 Tahoe. First my drivers door lock failed first, then my drivers side rear door lock failed. When my drivers door failed I could at least get at ot from the rear door. With the rear door lock failure, I have to use the key. So good for electric locks. There are thousands of us out there. They are aware of the issue, just fix it!

This should be a SAFETY RECALL if the doors do not lock- right?
  • joecheesejoecheese Member Posts: 2
    No, I have not contacted GM Customer Service. I thought dealerships were the middle person. The dealership told me there is nothing I could do but pay and have it fixed.
    orlewis3,

I would be happy to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    joecheese,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. In order to start the process I will need your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    jlgraham,
    I understand your frustrations and concerns. I have documented and forwarded these concerns to the proper departments for review and evaluation. If there is a recall issued, you should be contacted by mail. If this does occur again you will have the extended warranty on the components. But still please let me know.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    palm1,
    Can you please email me your complete contact information including mailing address, phone number, VIN, and mileage? I would like to set up a case for you with GM Customer Assistance. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    tayreeves,
    Can you please email me this information along with your complete contact information including address? I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    lwharma,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your complete contact information including your mailing address and a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • danfine59danfine59 Member Posts: 1
    Help Christina!

I was trapped in my 07 Tahoe for the second time this week. I parked the car and turned off the ignition and driver's door would not unlock - either by manually pulling on lock release, using the key fob, or electric door buttons. Nothing worked. I crawled over the seat and out the rear door, what a pain. I went online and bam - hundreds of long time GM customers like me having the very same problem for over 2 years! Why on earth GM didn't send me a warning is beyond belief. This actuator issue isn't a question of if it might happen, only when. I emailed you my VIN, mileage, contact information, etc. under separate cover. Please see if you can help me.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Oct. 7, 2011
  • jboehlerjboehler Member Posts: 1
    Christina,

I'm a 2009 GMC Yukon Hybrid Owner with a failed rear passenger door unlock mechanism. I only have 40k miles on my vehicle, but the dealer says it's not covered and I'm SOL. Reading into this 25page thread, one of MANY across the internet, I'm hoping you can help me get this resolved and hopefully help GMC retain a life long customer. Please let me know if I can send you information about my Truck.

Thank you,

Joe
    I would like to let you all know that your concerns have not fallen on deaf ears. I have documented all of your concerns and shared this appropriate people. I am waiting to hear something; and as soon as I do I will let you know. I would like to thank you all for giving us the opportunity to work with you, for explaining your situations to me and setting up cases with GM Customer Assistance and for all of your patience.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • antheliaanthelia Member Posts: 3
    I'm like the countless Tahoe owners in the above 25 pages of comments. I own an 08 Tahoe - have 36,540 miles on it. Yesterday I began having a problem with the passenger door, drivers side. It won't lock or unlock with the automated system. I thought perhaps the auto device we push for entry needed to be reprogrammed or something. Now I see above, this has been going on for several years - Chevy won't honor any repairs out of warranty, and it will cost me from $250 to $272 to have the actuator replaced by an authorized agent. The above 25 pages of comments are screaming for a recall. Has there been one? Will there be one? Speak to us Caron....
  • upsettahoeowneupsettahoeowne Member Posts: 1
    Hello, we have just purchased a 2008 tahoe and we are having some similar issues. A few weeks ago, we were driving in the highway and the tahoe acted as if it was possesed, the locks started to click up and down, the lights on the dash board went on and off, and the speed gage went up and down, it was awful scary. After that incident it wont start or do anything. I am very disapponted and frustrated, when you pay such a high price for something you expect it wo work right. Yesterday, the driver side was blowing hot air whr it was set at 60 and the passenger side was blowing cold air.
    PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!
    Any advise will help, thanks.
    anthelia,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealer. Your just under 600 miles out of the warranty, let me see what I can do. Please get me that information as soon as possible. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • orlewis3orlewis3 Member Posts: 3
    To update all of you - I did receive a call back from Chevy Customer Service. My Tahoe has 43,000+/- miles and is out of warranty. The customer service agent arranged a diagnostic service call at my local dealer for me and when I took the vehicle in this morning, the service advisor said he would just replace both actuators now to save me the trouble of coming back in later because he was certain that Chevy would make this right. And they did. When I picked up the vehicle this afternoon, both actuators had been replaced and there was no charge. Thanks to all of you at Chevrolet for correcting this for me!
    upsettahoeowne,
    I would recommend starting at the dealer. I can also set up a case for you with GM Customer Assistance. Please feel free to email me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • antheliaanthelia Member Posts: 3
    Christina,

I visited my local Chevy dealer this morning (Monday, Oct 17) and the service manager indicated that since I have only 36,600, he will repair at Chevy's expense. He had to order the part - it should be in Wednesday or Thursday and he will call when the part arrives to set an appointment. If this goes well I'll let you know -- if it doesn't go well I'll let you know that also. Appreciate you stepping forward.

anthelia
    jboehler,
    Please do send me information. Anytime feel free to email me with questions comments or concerns! I am here to help! :)
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • srtahoeownersrtahoeowner Member Posts: 3
    I am also a long time Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon owner. My 2008 has 80K miles and is out of warranty. The rear drivers door actuator has been replaced under warranty but now the passengers door actuator has stopped working. Due to the large number of failures will GM fix these as good will???

GM, please accept the reality that these actuators are under designed for this application. Unless the actuator is made to cycle every time the vehicle is shifted from Park to Drive and Drive to Park it will fail. Please allow the automatic door locks to be disabled in order to save the actuators.
  • mxsx88mxsx88 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same issue with the door lock actuator. So far it has just been the front passenger door, but it seems the rest are sure to follow. I went to the stealership to have it fixed and was told I was out of warranty (by 400 miles) and it would cost me nearly $300 to have it repaired. That was nearly a year ago and I have been trying to find an actual OEM replacement to do it myself, but have had no luck. I don't really want to go to a salvage yard because I don't want to replace junk with more junk. Does anyone know where I can order a replacement (or if there is an updated/upgraded part) or if there has been some sort of progress with GM to have this issue taken care of? Any help would be appreciated.
    anthelia,
    I am glad your dealer is stepping up and taking care of this for you. If you need anything please let me know!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    orlewis3,
    I am glad to hear that everything went smoothly. We are glad that things have been resolved to your satisfaction! If you need anything else please feel free to contact me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    srtahoeowner,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with a dealer or Customer Assistance? If not, I would recommend speaking with a dealer and setting up a case with Customer Assistance. If you would like I would be happy to set up a case for you. I will just need you to email me your complete contact information including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    mxsx88,
    I apologize for your inconvenience. In that case you should of called GM. You were barely out of your warranty. If you would like I would be happy to set up a case for you with GM Customer Assistance.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mxsx88mxsx88 Member Posts: 2
    Christina,

Thanks for the quick reply. I would appreciate if you would set up a case for me with GM Customer Assistance, especially since it sounds like this could be an issue later on as well. Again, thanks for the help!