Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Dpernell,
    Would you please post or email your case number? We want to follow up on this to make sure that everything was handled appropriately.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dnf1dnf1 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I googled 2008 Chevy Door Lock Problems and landed here. Surprised to find this to be a manufacturer component failure, thought I was special ; )

I purchased my 2008 Tahoe new, in September 2008. All four of my door locks have now failed. Started with the front passenger door about three months ago and progressed one by one. This is my first Chevy vehicle, owned nothing but Fords prior to this purchase.

Have any of you had success in obtaining no cost repairs to your vehicle which is out of the warranty period? I don't understand why Chevrolet would continue to use defective parts which are know to fail?
  • caliavdudecaliavdude Member Posts: 1
    Well I guess you can add my Tahoe LTZ to the list. It started out with my passenger side door lock then within a week the back driver side door went out. Now it's been almost 4 weeks and the other 2 door locks have gone out. Like others out there with this same problem I too have been loyal to GMC, Chevy and Cadillac, but it's getting real hard to stay loyal.

I spoke with my local dealer and they told me there was nothing they could do to help with the cost to replace all 4 units. I expect to have to pay for routine maintenance on my vehicles but $1,000 to have my door actuators replaced on a vehicle that's only 3 years old and 50,000 highway miles.

The bad part is this additional cost is now my responsibility because the manufactor, GMC, made the decision to install CHEAP China made parts on an American made vehicle in order to save a couple dollars. I'm sure everyone else with this problem would agreed to have paid a little more when we purchased the vehicle in the beginning to have quality parts installed.

I can't believe there as not been a recall on this problem.
    Thank you for your service in our military, gcornavaca.
    We are trying to address this problem through Customer Service, but to do so we need to set up Service Requests for those experiencing this concern. If you would like to pursue this, please send us an email with more information (your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership) and we'll move forward from there.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    We are hoping to get this resolved through Customer Service. Please get in touch with us via email with more information (your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership) and we'll get a Service Request set up for you. (Make sure to also include that this is a door lock concern, please).
    We look forward to hearing from you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • palmourpalmour Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2009 LTZ Tahoe and have the same electric door lock issue. My Tahoe as less than 50K miles and it cost more than 50K and to have such a basic function as electric locks to be malfunctioning and not to be covered or a recall! I went to my local Chevy dealer and was told it would be approximately $300 per door. I have two lemon doors my back passenger and driver door. The first to go was the back and during the Christmas holidays I just happened to be standing near my driver door and noticed it was not locked after clicking my remote. I felt somewhat sick knowing how much shopping I had been doing and that someone could have taken thousands of dollars of gifts all because GM / Chevy hasn't made this a recall so the locks are fixed before something such as theft occurs. I don't know of anyone who walks their vehicle to be sure all doors are locked before leaving it that's the point of a remote. I have owned five vehicles in my life and none before this had and electrical lock issue and if you combined what i spent on all five cars it would be less than my Tahoe. I do love everything else about my Tahoe I would just like for this defective product to be replaced and fixed.
  • chig1chig1 Member Posts: 1
    Add one more Tahoe to the list. 2009 Tahoe Z71 drivers door lock stopped working a few weeks ago (42k miles). Based on reviewing this forum, I haven't complained yet since I'm expecting all my other ones to fail soon and am not too keen on fixing something that is so obviously an issue with the part GM has supplied.
  • dabadaba Member Posts: 2
    2008 Suburban
    VIN 1GNFK16398J221282
    Purchased From Davidson Gebhardt, Loveleand, CO
    3 Locks fixed under warranty at 33,367 miles on 8/26/10 by Big Wyoming, Casper, WY
    Remaining lock (Front DS) stopped working shortly out of warranty.

Found this forum about a year ago before going to the dealer to get it fixed. Too expensive to get it fixed when it seems to be a systemic problem that should be fixed by recall.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    caliavdude,
    Thank you for taking your time to explain your concerns and frustrations. Can you please email me with your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer/ dealer you would like to work with? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    palmour,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Can you please email me your complete contact information including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer/or dealer you would like to work with? I would like to set up a Service Request number for you with General Motors. I look forward to your email. Please feel free to pass this information along to anyone else experiencing these concerns so I can look into their situations as well.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • chuhschuhs Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have the same problem with my 08 Tahoe. At present I have only one door lock working. The car is out of warranty. Has there been any recall on this matter? What are my options on getting this problem fixed?
    My Edmonds screen name is chuhs.
    Email Chris.huhs@gmail.com
    Vin# 8J190691
    Mileage 68,000
    I too switched from Ford to Chevy, but will be switching back to Ford if I can't get satisfaction on this matter.
  • terryo4terryo4 Member Posts: 1
    I joined the forum just to chime in about my 2007 Chevy Tahoe. I've replaced all four door lock actuators at Champion Chevrolet in Reno for a cost of over $1000 two years ago, only to have three of them fail again within a year. I am *NOT* paying another $750 to replace them again only to have them fail again so I've been driving around with no automatic door locks and WAITING to sue Chevrolet if my car gets stolen. I would not recommend spending a penny to repair this problem until the DESIGN FLAW with the door actuators is found and fixed. I have a 2003 Chevrolet Suburban with over 200,000 miles on it and have never had a single problem with the door locks -- this is a DESIGN FLAW that was introduced in later model Chevrolet's. I am very angry about this issue and want both my money back for the initial repair and to have the broken locks repairs at no charge.
  • monacjamonacja Member Posts: 1
    Add another Yukon to the list. My two front door lock actuators need replacing on a 2009 Yukon with 45k miles. The problem started at 38k miles but of course I was told I'd have to pay since I was out of warranty. I love my Yukon but this ridiculous. I guess since I own it and GM has my money I'm no longer important. I'm in the market for a new car for my wife but if I can't get this issue resolved at no cost as it should be I'll be selling the Yukon and getting 2 non-GM cars.
    Terry04 and monacja,
    Have you already sent us an email to get a Service Request open with General Motors? Please do so at the email provided under my username (will be forwarded to our database), and include the following information: your name/Edmunds Username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ndhousemoverndhousemover Member Posts: 17
    To gmcustsvcsarah

After contacting gmcustsvcsarah and emailing her my information i was contacted by the "district agent" who would be handling my claim. After 3 weeks of back and forth calls his response was that I take it to my dealer and have them do a diagnostics check ($90) on it. Our dealer is 3-4 weeks waiting to get in. I asked if GM would cover this, he said no. I asked if I spend the $90 and they find that they are defective if GM would cover it, he said no. I then asked if they find them defective how much would GM cover of the ($600, 2 doors @ $300 each) cost. He said maybe 50%. Huh!? The parts are $135. If I buy both actuators and put them in it's $270. If I take it to the GM dealer it'll cost $90 for diag., $270 for parts, $330 for labor. Over $300 for them to "Take Care" of me. Thanks for nothing GM! I'll fix this problem myself and i will never, NEVER buy another GM product again. If this is how you stand behind your product i want no part of it. Pathetic. Good luck to the rest of you. Hopefully they treat you better than me. Buying a Ford and hoping GM dies like they should have and eventually will with this kind of service.
    To gmcustsvcsarah and the rest of the people on here.

The "district agent" said that he had never heard of this issue and that it must not be very common otherwise GM would deal with it in a fast and serious manner. I told him to google 2008 Yukon door lock actuator and see what he finds. He deflected and said that you can't go by these forums. If you can't go by these forums what the H3LL is gmcustsvcsarah doing on here? Answer me this GM customer service. Answer on here, this forum why GM doesn't do more to fix this issue and I will stop bad mouthing you on here, on other forums, and to anyone who will listen. Answer it reasonably and i'm done.
    I am so very, very sorry about this. What is your case number so I can follow up on this (my coworker Christina responds to emails coming in from the forum)?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jhill5jhill5 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    I have a 02 yukon. I owned the truck for 8yrs, never had a problem with it. I decided to change my plugs and wires about 1 1/2 months ago. About two weeks ago the truck started hesitating. It would hesitate one hard time and then about a minute later it would cut off even driving at freeway speed. Whenever this would happen, the door locks would cycle a couple of times. As a result I changed the fuel filter, replaced the MAP sensor, and took it to the dealer. They said I needed a nuetral position switch, so I replaced it. Didn't fix the problem. I then took it to a mechanic and he did a pressure test on my fuel pump, to find that it was ok. He did discover that my bolt on the +post on the batt was only holding on by two threads, and replaced it. I am able to drive a lil further before it hesitates and the locks start the cycleling thing. The engine light never came on, so there are no codes in the comp.
    Christina requested that I get in touch with you on the forum to let you know that she has sent you an email with more information; we have re-opened your case, and I apologize for the mess!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • disappointedgmdisappointedgm Member Posts: 1
    gmcustsvcsarah

I too am having problems with my door locks in my 2006 Tahoe. I emailed GM customer service who told me to take my Tahoe to a Chevy dealer. I took my vehicle to a certified Chevy dealer on Monday and paid $110 for a diagnostic. The diagnostic revealed that the rear doors and hatch actuators needed to be replaced at the price of $1208. The GM rep then followed up with the dealership on Monday and advised me that they would help resolve the issue.

I then received a call from Chevy customer service today( Thursday) and was advised that per the district representative at GM that they would not fix the actuators although they know they are defective. They claim since I bought the vehicle used they do not have the service records from the previous owner. That of course is untrue because all GM needs to do is pull up the VIN # from my truck and obtain the records.

I am extremely disappointed in GM. It appears from the several forums that there are several unhappy GM owners. Since GM is aware that they put in defective parts they should recall them to be replaced. I will never buy another GM vehicle.

This problem also poses a serious hazard to anyone driving these vehicles. If the vehicle is in a wreck and the passengers are unable to escape and rescuers are unable to open the doors/hatch to assist the victims due to the doors being inoperable, it will result in GM having a huge lawsuit (s) on their hands, especially since they know the actuators are defective.

My service Request # 71-1033076167
  • camydogcamydog Member Posts: 64
    All involved,

If your door locks are supposed to lock when the vehicle is put into gear and they don't, this is a safety issue the NHTSA needs to know about. When you make your post on their web site, you have to address this as a safety issue for them, and GM, to notice.

Another place you can voice your opinion is in the media. This has been a wide-spread problem with the current body style Tahoe, Yukon and Suburban products. The media would be happy to exploit a known safety problem with a manufacturers vehicles. If GM has failed to respond decisively with the safety problem, the media will be able to help other consumers understand the problem with these GM vehicles, as well as steer them to alternate brands.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/ Use the link in the blue box on the top right side of the screen, 'Report a Vehicle or child seat defect.

Hope this helps resolve your issues.
  • aeldardaeldard Member Posts: 1
    I am seeking answers and ideas for my rear A/C. I get really cold air up front coming from the Driver and Passenger vents but all rear vents blow warm air. Is there a relay that has possibly gone bad?

Next...My rear hatch door lock has failed. It will not lock or unlock. No key hole for me to manually lock it. My kids ride in the 3rd row so this is a big safety concern for me. This seems to be really common. I noticed that GM may be helping with the cost of having this fixed. Over $300 for the actuator and $200 in labor at my chevy dealership. I too am in the service with a family so always forking out $500+ all the time to fix the door locks is not going to work. Sarah from GM keeps mentioning to email them. What is the email?

last....I have a check engine light that is on. It says there is a vapor leak somewhere. I have replace the Gas cap and this did not resolve. Instead of paying $100 to have Chevy dealer diagnose this problem, does anyone have any ideas what could be the issue? Emissions Sensor?

Thanks
  • jamesthemannjamesthemann Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem with my 2008 Chevrolet Tahoe. The front passenger side lock does not fully lock ever. I just noticed this last week. The warranty timed out in October but the vehicle only has 34500 miles on it. I strongly feel that this should be covered under the warranty.
    Good morning,
    Thank you for posting your case number - I am going to look it over with my supervisor and will contact you via email by 4:30 EST this afternoon.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good morning,
    To get in touch with us, you can either use the email address located under my Edmunds profile or socialmedia@gm.com.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good morning,
    You are certainly invited to get in touch with us via email for us to start looking into this with you. Please include your name, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I sent the requested info to socialmedia@gm.com was that the correct address?
    Correct! My coworker Christina will respond from there. :)
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lawoman70363lawoman70363 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I'm having the same issue as everyone else here, and my warranty has expired. I brought my vehicle in this morning for another issue and asked them about the door lock. The service rep. told me that they knew that it was a problem, but would try to work out a deal where they only charge me for labor. Why should I have to pay for labor to fix a part that they knew was defective when they sold me this very expensive vehicle? If you could provide any help it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    We would be happy to get a service request set up for you on this door lock issue. Please send us an email that includes your name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership and my coworker Christina will advise you from there!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lawoman70363lawoman70363 Member Posts: 2
    I've sent the email. Thanks :)
    On Feb 1,2012 I sent an email with the requested info to socialmedia@ gm.com I have not received a confirmation or reply. Today I have resent the info to Sarah.gmcustsvc@gmail.com. Will Sarah or Christina please confirm the email I should sent my reply.

Thanks sorry if I'm missing the obvious .
    Your email did come through with the @gmail.com account and has been forwarded on to Christina.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • btimes2btimes2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a certified 2008 suburban and had 2 door actuators fail b4 the 40k warranty expired. 3rd one went out at 42 and dealership said there hands were tied n
    Because Chevy corporate reimburses them for warranty work. Now my 4th just went out tonight. I'm at 54k. This is obviously a known defect and it's very frustrating there is no recall. A 45000$ car with a .50cent part on the most activated mechanism. Very frustrating! :mad:
    I understand why you are frustrated; we are working on getting Service Requests set up with us on this issue. If you would like to pursue this, please send us an email at the address located in my profile that includes, among any other details you are interested in including, your name/Edmunds username, contact information (phone and address), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealer.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Reading through the forums today for the first time. I am having very similar issues with the locks on my 2005 Tahoe z71 (unable to unlock/lock from the key fob). Being that this appears to be a known defective issue w/ the models, and my Tahoe is out of warranty, what options do I have in getting this addressed? I've seen in numerous responses where a couple of people on this board request bit of info and offer to initiate a service request, but is that the same thing I could do by picking up the phone & calling my local dealer, or are there other special steps involved w/ this process, resulting in low (if any) cost to me being that this is a known issue? Please advise. Thanks.
    The Service Requests we set up in Customer Service different from repair orders from the dealership. Essentially, we're trying to make sure that vehicle concerns are resolved, and at times (as these are evaluated on a case by case basis) it can involved assistance. However, we can't promise this up front as there are different factors going into these cases (for example, model year can be a consideration).

If you're interested in getting in touch to discuss your situation further, please contact the email address located in my Edmunds profile.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • chelsea201chelsea201 Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2009 Tahoe from an individual and we were not aware that the locks did not work correctly before we bought it. Half the time they will lock the other half they wont sometimes the remote will unlock them sometimes it wont. This is very frustrating when you have two kids and you have to crawl around the car and unlock them.... What do I need to do to fix this??
  • nowen1nowen1 Member Posts: 2
    Looking through this thread, I was disappointed and glad that I was not the only one having this problem. I have 2008 Chevy Tahoe with failing locks on three of my car doors. If this is an apparent problem why hasn't it been recalled and fixed. For the most part I have enjoyed my Tahoe with the except of this problem with my locks and the seats in my car. I have filled out a couple of complaints with GM about the material used on my seats, it picks up so much lint you would think it was a dryer. So we put sheets down other wise we have to carry a lint brush at all time.
  • andygriffinandygriffin Member Posts: 1
    Sarah,

I have sent an email to Sarah.gmcustsvc@gmail.com explaining my situation.

Please let me know if you have received the email.

Best regards,

Charles Griffin
    Your email has been received, Mr. Griffin, and my coworker Christina will be sure to advise you further.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • nvoisinnvoisin Member Posts: 1
    I also emailed you, Sarah, and have not yet received a reply. I am having the same isssues as all the other people in this post with my door lock actuator. Please let me know if you got my email as I would like to get this resolved.
    I spoke with Christina, who answers incoming emails, and she said that as of now she has received and replied to your message. If there are continued difficulties in communication, please let me know and we'll get it sorted out!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ctenny11ctenny11 Member Posts: 6
    Same issue as all the others sending email now. Thanks you in advance to for any help!
    ctenny11,
    Great! We look forward to hearing from you. My coworker Christina responds to incoming emails from Edmunds; please be sure to indicate here if you are not contacted in reply.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • striantstriant Member Posts: 1
    my 2009 suburban door lock actuators are out on 3 doors. will GM fix these. vehicle has 45k miles. i would think door locks should last longer than that. please help.
    If you haven't done so already, please send us an email at the address in my profile on Edmunds with more information (please include a description of the issue, your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership). My coworker Christina, who answers incoming emails, will assist you from there.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I am writing this to let the rest of you frustrated, dissatisfied, and overall unhappy customers of GM, to know that after over 3 months of back and forth with the GM customer service. They have done NOTHING for me, but insult me! I originally posted (#328) Dec 7th. Couldn't get anywhere with them. The district rep didn't seem to careless about my situation. I posted (#383 & #384) to express my frustration. Christina contacted me and said that she would take the matter over (Feb 1). I had to have a diagnostic run to see if the actuators were bad. I agreed to it and on Feb 14 they diagnosed the actuators were bad (BIG SURPRISE!) and replaced them. $135 per actuator plus $105 per door labor plus misc shop materials and tax. The total bill was $519.00 The district rep contacted me today to give me a "offer I should like." The offer: $1,000 GM certificate towards any new GM vehicle. What?! So I do what you ask and spend $520 when i could've spent $270 and done it myself, just to have you say, not only are we not recognizing the fact our products are defective, but we want you to buy a new one. What a slap in the face! You have an OBVIOUS.......OBVIOUS! defect and you wont recall it or even help pay for the OBVIOUS defect! I am pissed off now! I will never, ever buy another GM product even if it meant walking. I posted this before and I will post it again. gmcustsvcsarah why is this issue not a recall issue? Is it not dangerous to drive with doors that can't lock or unlock? I am making it my personal hobby to bad mouth GM on any and every forum i can find on the net not to mention facebook and anyone else who will have me. I will do anything and everything to keep friends and family from ever buying a GM product. God help the rest of you in dealing with this company. Keep it up GM. You'll be begging for more handouts before long. What a JOKE!
  • kwarnkekwarnke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe and my rear door lock stopped working. I can't even open the door as it does not have a manual unlock. I see by these posts that it is more common than I thought. Any help on the fix?
    ndhousemover,
    Christina has been keeping an eye on your case and is aware of the resolution; she is looking into this further and will be contacting you via email. I apologize that this continues to be drawn out,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service