Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• dezbdezb Member Posts: 14
    With all of the issues I have experienced with my 2008 Tahoe, I am tired of dealing with it. I am now set up to take my Tahoe in for doorlock issues. This, combined with the stalling/not starting related to the Onstar module, AC issues, dash crack, door handle, visor and whatever else is just too much. Fortunately, this is the one time that I purchased an extended warranty. I have never needed one before, but something told me to get it when I newly purchased the vehicle. I feel for those of you that are stuck paying for repairs, when GM knows well about the issues, but refuses to do recalls. I have filed a complaint w/ the FTC, which is Consumer Protection. You can also file at: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

I have also sent the following to several national news agencies. Complaining does little, you must take action if you wish to resolve the issues that you are experiencing.

I am writing to your organization in the hopes of you reporting the story of one of our nation’s largest automakers and the issues that they are not addressing at a cost of thousands, if not millions of dollars to the consumers. Chevrolet has several known defects that they refuse to issue recalls on.

These defects include door locks, electrical issues, and vehicle not starting or stalling, there has even been several lawsuits filed regarding defective speedometers. These issues are occurring in the Tahoe, SUV Hybrids, Yukon and Suburban models. Many of these issues have been taken to the dealers to be addressed while under warranty. If they could not replicate the issue, it is not fixed. Once the warranties expire, they will fix them, but at a huge cost to the consumer. Chevrolet knows of these issues and has GM representatives monitoring the Edmunds forum. I complained about the first issue I experienced after purchasing my new 2008 Tahoe, where I was left stranded many times because my Tahoe would not start, the GM representative sent me a gift card for a year of free oil changes at the dealer. The dealer is 26 miles from my house. I had taken in my Tahoe at least 12 times before they finally diagnosed the problem as a faulty Onstar module and replaced it. This was only after I threatened lemon law. Since then, it has been taken in for AC issues, dashboard cracking, interior falling apart…I can’t remember what else. It has been a nightmare. Now I am trying to get the dealer to call me back regarding faulty door locks before my extended warranty expires.

On Edmunds forum site, there are 520 reports of faulty door locks, 3,150 issues reported with the 2007 and newer Tahoe and Yukon models, 6,469 issues reported with the Tahoe in general, as well as thousands of other complaints.

My hopes are that you will do a report on this to expose the issues and force GM to fix the many defects that consumers are paying for.

You can access the forum linked directly to these issues at http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef015d4/.

If you have any questions, you can reach me by email at xxxxxxxor by phone at xxxxxxxx This is a nationwide problem.

Thank you,

Desiree XXXXXXXXXX
  • ferfridayferfriday Member Posts: 6
    I have sent you several emails about what the mechanic told me yet I haven't received a response. I see all of these problems with the cam and lifters on here and no recall. I do not want to pay $3500 to have the motor fixed when it is a known chevrolet problem and they choose to do nothing. If they will fix it I will have it taken to the local Chevrolet dealer. I called them and they can't do anything until they hear from you. I need to know what to do. I would appreciate a response since you solicited that I contact you.
  • ferfridayferfriday Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the link. I filed a complaint with the FTC. Mine has had all of the same problems. Sitting now in the shop due to cam shaft and lifters. I can let everyone I know that Chevrolet will not back their product and to never buy one. About half of my family own chevrolets but will not when I am done. Think I will take out an ad in my local paper and call my local radio and news stations and let them know. This will not go un-noticed. :mad:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning,

I am truly, truly sorry that your emails have not been responded to! My coworker Christina generally responds to emails from Edmunds, but perhaps it has not gone through. Would you please try my work email address: [email protected]?

Again, I apologize! Thank you for your patience as we work though this.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • vincesegvinceseg Member Posts: 9
    Sarah,

I had an open SR with GM "Customer Service" with the 800 number that was posted and they did absolutely NOTHING to defray the costs.

The next disaster is now that passenger temp control backlight is out and they inform me you have to replace the whole unit instead of just the light? WTH kind of garbage is that? 300+ bucks for a blown light. I don't even think that was installed at the dealer.

GM is horrible, from a service and quality perspective.
    Hello vinceseg,

Thanks for getting in touch; I'm sorry that you aren't satisfied with the result of the SR. When we evaluate a case for cost assistance, there are multiple factors we have to take into account. What was your case number? We'd be happy to review the case.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dezbdezb Member Posts: 14
    Great, something else to look forward to. I cannot believe all of the issues that are going on w/ Chevy vehicles. It is like someone sabotaged the assembly line. The dealer ended up replacing both of my rear locks, they were both bad. My service guy did admit that the majority of vehicles that are brought in for service and/or warranty issues are Tahoes and that there are many known issues, but Chevy will not recall since there is not a safety concern. I think a vehicle that leaves you stranded can be a safety concern. All I know is that once my extended warranty expires, the Tahoe is getting traded in. I am not keeping it.
  • matty72matty72 Member Posts: 1
    I just upgraded from my 2003 Tahoe to a 2008 Tahoe. I didn't do much research as my 2003 Tahoe was awesome! I am about to upgrade my 2004 GMC Denali, but am re- thinking after all the problems I am having with my 08 Tahoe. Here is a list:

Driver's side door lock only unlocks and locks about half the time. It seems to try to open when I push the remote button, but just can't get enough power to go up or down. Sounds like reading this forum this is a universal problem. Will a Door actuator solve the problem? if so, how much is that costing?

Next problem is the tire sensor won't go off. All of my tires are inflated. I have 22's on them so a dealership said it's cause they have too much air in them. Lot's of my buddies have 22's and none of them have issues on their tire sensors! I have taken it to two tire shops and both of them say the sensors in the tires are fine, so it must be in the computer and that's not a cheap fix. Anyone know of a solution to this, or had this same problem?

3rd problem, and most worrisome is that when I turn my tahoe on the battery indicator is just above 14 volts, but then as I drive it slowly starts going down, all the way down to about 10 volts. It hasn't died on me yet, but i'm pretty worried it will. I have read on here it could be all kinds of things from the alternator not charging the battery, to the battery cables being bad. Anyone have any suggestions before I go fishing for the answer?

You would think these somewhat minor problems like the door actuator and tire sensor light could be fixed easily. I don't understand why Chevy doesn't do a recall on the actuators??

I really want to upgrade my denali but I might have to look elsewhere.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

Matt
  • daveportdaveport Member Posts: 5
    The front passenger electric door lock on my Tahoe will not unlock and can't open the door to fix the problem. When I use the remote to unlock, you can hear the mechanism in the door working but will not unlock.
    Hello Matt,
    I'm sorry that you're experiencing these three concerns with your Tahoe at the moment. If we can look into the door lock actuators, tire sensor, or the charge concern, please send the following information to [email protected]: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    luckie19,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your experience! Keep us updated on your trip to the dealer! Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    [email protected]
  • hodsonhodson Member Posts: 2
    Hello my name is shawn and I own a 2008 Chevy tahoe and two days ago my driver door and rear driver door locks failed to open and close from the key fob and from the unlock/lock buttons inside. I see several people have posted the same problems that I am having. Could anyone give me any advice on how to get this fixed. My Tahoe has 30k miles on it. This is quite disappointing for such a nice rig.
    hodson,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your question and concerns. Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, dealer of choice, and complete contact information including mailing address? I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    [email protected]
  • vmarie40vmarie40 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased about 1.5 years ago - it has about 60k. I have had many of the same problems I see posted here. I am intersted to see if there have been any fixes.

1. My driver door lock - sometimes works - sometimes does not!
    2. My check battery and charging system light comes on while driving. I am a nervous wreck that I will getting stranded soon. FYI: just replace battery and alternator with last six months!
    3. Strange idle - every once in a while idle skips.

Loved my 2002 Tahoe - wish I had kept that one!

Cannot believe all the problems listed here are similar and NO RECALLS!

Please let me know what (if any) fixes have been successful!

Thanks,

Vanessa
    Good morning Vanessa,
    I'm sorry that you are encountering so many difficulties with your Suburban and that you feel nervous driving it given the check battery and charging system light. Have you worked with a dealership already on getting this looked at (noticed that you recently replaced the battery and alternator)? We'd be happy to follow up on this if you wanted to email the following information to [email protected] : your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • trailerboytrailerboy Member Posts: 2
    I just took my Tahoe in with door lock issues and found out that 3 of the 4 locks were bad. I was quoted $1,046 to replace all of them. After I Googled this problem I realized that Chevy has had a ongoing problem with these actuators. I, like several others discussing this issue on this forum can't believe that Chevy hasn't done a recall on the door lock mechanisms. I have owned GM vehicles my entire life (I'm 55 and have owned 4 tahoes, a Silverado and a suburban)) but this issue coupled with the fact that Ford didn't take a bailout has changed my mind. I will buy a Ford as my next vehicle purchase.
    trailerboy,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. If you could please email me with your VIN, current mileage, and the name of the dealer you took the vehicle to, I would like to look into this situation for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • trailerboytrailerboy Member Posts: 2
    The VIN is 1GNFC13028R167719 with 75,774 miles and I took it to Chapman Cheverolet in Tempe, AZ. Anything you can do would be appreciated since the door locks on the 2008 Tahoes seem to have issues. Thanks you.
    trailerboy,
    Thank you for your post. Can you please send this info along with your contact information to [email protected]? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • manson4497manson4497 Member Posts: 3
    I too have been having problems with my 2009 Chevy Tahoe. Its has 72k on it, but approximately 8k ago, one door stopped locking and unlocking all the time. Now, it is hit and miss which doors lock and unlock. It doesn't matter if I used the key fob or the button on the door. I too was quoted to replace the lock. Sure glad I didn't spend the money, because soon after, all started acting up. What recourse do I have here.... seems to be a prevalent issue. Thank you!
    If you would like for us to get a Service Request set up through our department, through which we will contact your dealership to explore any available options, please send the following information to [email protected]: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • nleonbergernleonberger Member Posts: 3
    My Yukon is in the shop right now....this will be the second lock that has gone out. The first one was covered under the warranty. My warranty is expired. I have an extended warranty but I was told its not overed (of course). Extremely frustrated that this is a common problem yet GM doesn't put a recall out there to let people know that these issues can be fixed by them!
  • spacemonkey5spacemonkey5 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with three of my Tahoe's power door lock motors, and I have had to pay to replace two of them. One failed during the warranty period, so it was replaced at no charge. Will GM reimburse me for the other two?
    Thanks
    I have completed this. please contact me asap. Thanks!
  • lorn3lorn3 Member Posts: 5
    Similar problem to many other writers - I replaced the actuator on the driver door when it failed (on my own dime), but now both of the rear doors are failing intermittently (more failure than not) and since there is no key way for the passenger doors it is difficult to lock and unlock.

Is there anything that can be done that won't cost a fortune?
    Hello spacemonkey5,

If both of the other door lock motors were replaced with your dealership, they have the paperwork you would need to get started for reimbursement there. Let us know how this goes!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ndhousemoverndhousemover Member Posts: 17
    "they have the paperwork you would need to get started for reimbursement there."
    Translation: We (GM) could care less about your issues. We're passing the buck onto the local dealer and if they don't want to help you then we will jerk you around till you go away.
    "Let us know how this goes!"
    Translation: We want it to look like we care but in reality we couldn't give a rats [non-permissible content removed]! If we truly cared about you (GM customer) we would recall these door locks, but alas, we do not!
    I read in one of your previous posts that "I'm sorry that you aren't satisfied with the result of the SR. When we evaluate a case for cost assistance, there are multiple factors we have to take into account." What are the "multiple factors"? Please humor us dumb consumers and tell us what these "multiple factors" are. When there is a OBVIOUS defective part from factory. What is there that can be "multiple factors"? You sold a defective product and you should replace said defective product free of charge to any and all consumers.
    I'm willing to bet there are more unsatisfied consumers with this issue than not.
    Come on Sara and Christina, you have got to be getting tired of running people through the ringer like this. I know it's your job to put out fires but your doing a miserable job. The irony is almost too much too bear!
    This is the second lock that has gone out. The first one was covered under the warranty. My warranty is now expired. I have an extended warranty but I was told its not covered (of course). Extremely frustrated that this is a common problem yet GM doesn't put a recall out there to let people know that these issues can be fixed by them! My truck might have a lot of miles on it (9700) but that's expected for military folk who move quite often. In our case from 2008 to date we've moved fom NC to NY back to NC then back to NY an now in Cali. Not to mention the mileage from leisure trips! Bottom line the vehicle just 'turned' 4!
    What chaps me is that you pay almost 60K for a vehicle and the manufacturer knows there is a problem (as do the dealers) and nobody wants to bite the bullet.

This is how you lose good, long standing, devoted customers.

GM - You are being "penny wise and pound foolish".

I went to the local dealer and was told: Yes we know there is a problem with these vehicles but we are not authorized to do anything about it other than to charge you the full retail price for the repairs and you can then hope that GM will issue a recall.

Unbelievable!
    You hit the nail on the head with that statement. When my truck was in for service, GM called them and expected the dealership to pick-up the tab! Bottom line. I won't pay to get this issue fixed. It not the first lock on my vehicle to be fixed and from the looks of it it won't be the last! As we're 551 posts into this thread! :mad:
    lorn3,
    Had you had a case set up with us? If we can get a Service Request going and speak with your dealership, please send the following information to us at [email protected]: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. We cannot guarantee cost assistance up front, but will do what we can.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    edited June 2012
    lorn3,
    You know what they are going to make you do? They will make you take your vehicle in to get it diagnosed (we all know what's wrong and why) and you will have to pay a $75 (minimum) diagnostics fee. Then they will say "yup, your actuators are bad and we can replace them for $300 a door." Now they will make you think that they will "help out" and "do what we can." but in reality if your local dealer isn't up for covering the cost you will have to foot the bill. Of course you have to play their game and get the actuators fixed first before you find out that they will give you a coupon towards your next new GM vehicle! You ready for the kicker? The rest of your actuators and even the replacements will probably go out in the next year or two.Good luck man! Repost your results for the rest of the poor suckers who bought GM.

ps.
    Sarah, what is the alternative to cost assistance up front? You post that like there is another option. Is it your sweet deals of coupons/rebates towards an overpriced vehicle that the dealership doesn't have to honor?
  • jlbenn05jlbenn05 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Tahoe and my 2nd actuator just failed, the first one was covered, now like thousands of other I have to pay for something that shouldbe RECALLED, I have had multiple items stolen from my truck cause I didnt realize the door wasnt locking, now this is a SAFETY ISSUE, I have 2 babies in car seats in the back and I have to climb over to manually lock and unlock the doors, o what fun that is, I fI was ever in a accident or any other issue this would be a hugh safety issue for getting my babies out of the truck, so maybe Chevy needs to pay a couple cents more and make the actuator in AMERICA and not a 2 censt piece of junk in CHINA, spend the extra money and fix the problem and do a RECALL, before something really serious happens and you have possible lawsuits
    Good evening jlbenn05,

I know that this is a very irritating issue, and am sorry that you are inconvenienced by door lock actuator problems. As a mom, I'm sure you have enough to worry about.

I have posted an invitation to contact us numerous times on the thread; if you haven't done so please feel free to send us the requested information to [email protected].

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah, how long does it usually take to hear something from you folks? I now have 3 doors that do not lock or unlock.... Its a real pain. Am hoping to resolve this soon.

Appreciate your help!
    manson4497,
    Thank you for your post. Have you sent an email? If so, I did not receive it. If you could please email me with a brief description of your concerns, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer I would appreciate it. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    [email protected]
    Thanks ndhousemover, I appreciate your detailed response.

In a way I feel bad for the GM employees dealing with us. They are stuck in an impossible situation. I'm sure their superiors know exactly what's going on yet they make folks like Sarah do their dirty work if they want to keep their jobs.

It's wrong on so many levels.
  • serg74usserg74us Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 chevy Tahoe that I am having a problem with the door lock button. The doors on the truck are no longer opening with the remote control or the driver control. We have to roll down our window to unlock the doors. I took the vehicle to the dealership only for them to tell me that the part would cost me $300.00 per door. From the dealership I found out that there was a recall for the 2007 that was having the same problems and issues but not the 2009 tahoes.
    serb74us,

If we can look into this further with you, please send us the following information at [email protected]: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Had my 2 rear door actuators replaced on 5/4/12 on my 05 Tahoe ($900 out of pocket) and again they are not working. When is someone from GM going to step up to the plate on this issue? First this BS should be covered, I have a value guard plan that supposedly covers electrical but because it's sold with the lock it wasn't covered. Yeah right. And it's broke again < 2 months later.
    vinceseg,

I'm sorry that the actuator replacement did not hold up. There is a replacement parts warranty in effect on these components that should cover parts and labor for 12 months/12,000 miles from the date/mileage of installment. If we can work with you and your dealership on this, please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN as well as a quick summary of the situation (my coworker Christina responds to inbound emails) and we'd be happy to assist.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah,

Thanks for replying I sent you 2 emails, I forgot to add the VIN in the first one. Feel free to respond to me in private. But as you'll see in my novel I wrote my Chevy experience has been less than enjoyable. I'd appreciate your thoughts or comments and I provided my contact information.

Thank you,

Vince
    This is great news, Vince. Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us - Christina will assist further, but she does not come in again until Monday morning. I will notify her, though, to keep an heads up for your emails.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I sent it to [email protected] I hope that's the right email.
  • homeschool_dadhomeschool_dad Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    We have been having an issue with the left rear door lock on our 2008 Suburban LT2 and were coping with it, but now the right rear door lock is failing. While googling this issue, I came across this forum and found a disheartening 566 messages addressing the same issue with other 2008 Tahoes and Suburbans.

We bought this 2008 Suburban to replace our 2002 Suburban with 230K miles. My concern is that our youngest daughter may pop open either rear door and hop out into a dangerous situation &#150; for example, a car pulling into the adjoining parking spot.

It appears that GM is well aware of this long-standing issue with failing door lock actuators. I believe GM should address this issue with my Suburban promptly and at no charge to me.

I have sent details of my vehicle (VIN, mileage) to two email addresses found in this long forum - [email protected] and [email protected]. If these addresses are incorrect and someone else needs to be notified, please let me know.

Please advise how to proceed with rectifying this issue.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
  • tom455tom455 Member Posts: 1
    When is GM going to take responsibility for the faulty door actuators?  It is obviously a VERY well documented problem and all safety concerns have been sent to GM in multiple complaints.  Does an accident have to occur and lawyers get involved before GM will take appropriate actions?

Just really confused why GM will not address this issue? I have owned Chevrolet vehicles since 1992 and I am really surprised at the refusal to correct an obvious defect.

Do you have any answers?.. At the very least GM should offer the parts for free and customers pay the dealer for labor. There are many different ways the issue could be handled, but to continually ignore the problem and leave loyal customers to fend for themselves will only cost GM  more in the long run as we loyal customers begin to realize we have no support and cannot count on GM to stand behind their product when defects occur.
  • ralph1172ralph1172 Member Posts: 3
    Well I must say GM surprised the heck out of me. A few months back I too posted on this site about my door locks failing, and a crack in my dashboard on my 2008 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid. I was contacted by the Customer Support that answers your posts on here. I supplied the info they requested and they put me in touch with a district manager. He did explain that GM was not offering any assistance with the door locks, but they were interested in my dashboard. He arranged for me to have it inspected at my local dealership and said he would let me know what assistance, if any, GM would be willing to offer in a few days. To my surprise I got a call a few days later informing me that they will replace my dashboard and cover all the costs. They replaced my dashboard and I couldn't be happier. I do still think GM should do something about the locks, but at this time, and after covering my dashboard, I am willing to reach the lock myself. 300.00 dollars compared to probably several thousand is a good compromise to me. So I say be patient, and polite to these people and they might surprise you too. Thanks GM and your staff.
  • fastmike926fastmike926 Member Posts: 2
    my 2009 suburban that has been a nightmare from the beginning just had a door actuator quit. so now i have a $50000 car that you cant lock the doors, burns a quart of oil every 600-700 miles and has electrical problems that leave the car dead in the water if i use the bright lights. good work gm.
  • kprice3kprice3 Member Posts: 1
    I am also having problems with my rear door locks. The dealership wants to charge me just to see what the problems is...they should know the problem it they keep track of everyone that has mentioned this!! I love GM products but I don't think I should have to pay to have my doors looked at when this is a malfunction in the car.
    Please let me know what step you have taken to resolve this problem?