Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• luckie19luckie19 Member Posts: 3
    I to have cut my hand couple of times from the driver side interior door handle because of the chrome peeling off. GM needs to stop cutting damn corners and stop putting cheap crap on these vehicles we pay a lot of money for. Shame on you GM. Recall these damn cheaply made locks.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning hufnagel,

We would be happy to look into this further for you (both the door locks and the handles); please email us the following information at [email protected]: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Hello there luckie19,

If we can check into the chrome door handles for you, please email us the following information at [email protected]: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership.

• barbiyukonbarbiyukon Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2007 Yukon XL 55,000 miles that my wife drives and loves. Problem #1 Started with a oil consumption problem, had one service visit for this, didn't fix it. Now we are going back and they are going to replace the piston and rings this is supposed to fix the problem (supposed to-I LOVE THAT WORD) we will see (waiting for ordered parts ). Problem #2 The vehicle has been recently possesed. Doors lock, dash and headlights go black, wipers stop , all in a split second and then everthing back to normal. It will do this repeatedly 5, 10, the record is 24 times in 10 minutes; seams to have a mind of its own. Had it to the dealer last week they and GM never heard of this problem; heard that before! Put it on there tester, told us they think its the battery. Paid for new battery installed, drove it home and parked it! The next day it did it again; my wife was heading to Madison for soccer games with truck fully loaded, drove it one block; doors, lights, etc started going crazy, (did it 10 times) all within one block of our house; turned around and parked it back in our driveway and she refuses to drive it; I don't blame her; thats just great! $50,000 truck which looks good on the outside but has deamons on the inside. Called the dealership to make another appointment to bring it in on Tuesday; not sure what this is going to cost. Feels like a guessing game $125.00 labor per hour+Parts(Out of warrant of course). Iam good at guessing games, but I don't want to play! So far very dissapointed in this truck. Always owned GM products-2001 GMC Savana, 2002 Chevy Avalanche(Had major $ problems with this truck to-New heads,4X4 trans overhauled, Rocker Arm let loose-ALL OF IT out of warranty, how convenient!) :( , 1997 Olds 88, 2000 Boneville, 1997 Malibu, Astro Van, Celebrity, Cavalier, Chevette. Anyone ever heard of or experienced these problems?
    Hello barbiyukon,

We're sorry to hear that it has been so difficult to get these door lock and electrical concerns taken care of. If we can look into this further, please send us the following information at [email protected]: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• barbiyukonbarbiyukon Member Posts: 2
    Vehicle has been at the dealer ship now going on three days. Completly torn apart can't find the problem. They are stumped and so is GM. This is very disappointing that no one can find this problem. Still have not talked to anyone at GM customer service. Sent them a email with all my informaton; but no response! :( Still waiting for parts for oil consumption problem. Not sure which problem is bigger! Possesed electrical system or vehicle likes to burn alot of oil. This is crazy, Give me my money back and take this vehicle off the street. Paint it yellow and put next to the limes! Very dissapointed to say the least!!!
  • creativejoecreativejoe Member Posts: 1
    Hello:

We just purchased a 2008 Chevy Tahoe from Thompson's Buick GMC out of Placerville, CA. (530) 748-1293. The Tahoe only has 28,000 miles on it. The dealer told me that the car has gone thru a thorough reconditioning...2 weeks later, I can't get our rear passenger doors open. I have to reach around and manually unlock or lock each door. You would think a car with this low of miles would not have issues like this so soon. My concern is how long before i can't get into any of my doors or the rear hatch for that matter...safety seems to be the major issue here.

What can be done??? Does GM/Chevy not stand behind their products???

What a major let down for the Chevy Brand....

Mark, Frustrated in Rocklin, CA
    Good morning Mark,

We're sorry that the Tahoe you recently purchased is experiencing some difficulties. If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please email us the following information at [email protected]: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• jaicee6t8jaicee6t8 Member Posts: 2
    The rear liftgate would not unlock on my 05 Tahoe. There is no way to open it with the key fob or manually. I contacted Chevy and they wanted me to pay for their defective part and they install it for free. Not sure why I should pay for a part that they know is defective and that they will not recall and repair? Please file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, so that they can investigate and force Chevy to recall the vehicle and repair the part.
  • gary_san_diegogary_san_diego Member Posts: 3
    Hello Chris,

Was wondering if you ever found out if there is a recall or ??? from GM about the door lock problem? Your Tahoe sounds exactly like mine, only 1 door lock working! Twice I've locked my keys in the car and had to have my wife come rescue me because of this problem. I have to push the button down on my driver side door and if the keys are in there, then I'm locked out. I now keep a spare door key in my wallet to solve that problem. It wouldn't bother me that much if the back doors had key entry too, but opening them for people is a real hassle! I don't want to have to pay over a grand like one guy said he did on this forum... Thanks, Gary
    Hello Gary,

If you would like for us to look into this further with you and your dealership, please email us at [email protected] with more details (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• dezbdezb Member Posts: 14
    I too had cut my hand on a couple of occasions with the bubble gum machine door handle. Very, very poor quality. My dealer replaced all of my handles under my warranty. I have to say that with all of the problems/issues I have had with my Tahoe, my dealership has been great w/ replacing and fixing every complaint that I have brought it in for. They are Freeway Chevrolet in Chandler, AZ. That is not to say that I will buy another Chevy. Until they get their ---- in order and start producing a quality product again, I will not even consider. As soon as my warranty expires, my Tahoe is getting traded in.
  • hufnagelhufnagel Member Posts: 3
    I posted a couple of weeks ago about door lock problems, door handle chrome problems, etc. I received an email from gm stating I needed to have the dealer check and make sure the door locks were not working!!!! From what I read here, it is 100.00 and then they tell you it is out of warranty, and they will not do anything. It sounds to me like it is a way to keep the dealer in business, not a way to help us. Does anyone have any experience? I don't mind getting it diagnosed, but if it is not going to help, I don't want to pay the dealer for nothing, I can diagnose that the locks DON'T work myself.
  • nebraskafarmernebraskafarmer Member Posts: 1
    Hi Sarah,

I have a 2008 Yukon Denali that is having the same issues as the other individuals within this posting. How can I contact you directly to get the issue resolved?

thanks!
  • fabballcoachfabballcoach Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid with 77,000 miles from a Chevrolet Dealer. I have recently had 3/4 door locks go out. It has been less than 7 months since my purchase, so I will be very upset if Chevy has not recalled or is willing to fix the lock issues. For a 60k car to have issues with something as simple as door locks is absolutely ridiculous. I had a 2007 Tahoe before this vehicle and loved it. Starting to think I should have kept that model.

Does anyone have an update on what Chevy will do about the locks, or the cost to fix them?

Thanks!
  • jlp627jlp627 Member Posts: 2
    I posted awhile ago and had the diagnosis done and contacted one of these GM customer service people. I have had no luck in having the problem resolved and it seems my only option is to pay and have it done and hope for a recall.

My Suburban is a 2009 LT with around 55K miles on it. I bought it used in July 2011. It is sad to have a car with power door lucks, remote door locks, and remote starter and none of it works. Several years ago when the US bailed out GM they obviously decided to buy cheap parts to save money but they didn't lower the price. They only lowered their standards. I will never buy another GM product.
  • pac12pac12 Member Posts: 3
    I see Toyota has stepped up and is doing the right thing by recalling their cars with door lock and window problems. Why doesn't GM do the same thing?

And they wonder why they keep losing market share. :lemon:
    nebraskafarmer and fabballcoach,

If you wanted for us to open a Service Request in our department so we can explore any available options (we cannot guarantee anything up front), please email us at [email protected] with more information, including: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• jonyb1jonyb1 Member Posts: 1
    2009 Yukon Denali with same door lock actuator problem above. Dealer said SOL, part is $162. I just emailed [email protected].

Any other suggestions?
  • carlove5carlove5 Member Posts: 1
    I too amy having a problem with my door locks. At first it wouldnt unlock and now it wont lock? Evidently it is a cronic problem with Chevy Tahoes and Im wondering why G.M. hasnt recalled it, other that the obvious that it may cost them money to repair. Can anyone help? Rick ... [email protected]
  • 1tahoez711tahoez71 Member Posts: 1
    Well, another one fooled by GM! Just bought a 2008 Denali and the passenger door and rear door locks do not work. It has only 39000 miles! I traded in my 2002 Tahoe and I feel like I made a mistake! The tax payers of this country bail you out and you shovel crappy goods at us! If this issue is not resolved for free by my dealer, I may be trading this car in for a Nissan before I even put plates on it.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning 1tahoez71,

Keep us posted on your progress on this with your dealership; if you would like for us to check into the situation further we can be reached via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• jbo723jbo723 Member Posts: 1
    New member and just registered. I stumbled across this forum when I was searching for some trouble shooting pointers on how to fix/address the rear hatch on my

I have not read the entire thread regarding the issue with the door actuators but, I skimmed through and it seems that this is obviously an issue that GM has noticed.

I bought the Tahoe brand new in April of 2009 and after 4 months of ownership, the driver's side rear door would not open from the inside. With a house full of children, it became frustrating having to get out of the car to open the door from the outside while in the car pool line. Since the vehicle was still under warranty, the dealership fixed it at no cost so, I never had a second thought about the issue and figured it was a fluke.

I purchased the 6yr/60K extended warranty and go figure, I didn't have another issue till today when the current odometer reads 63,568. The rear hatch was working fine all day and when I got home from shopping, I go to open the rear hatch to get everything out and now it won't open at all. I had to climb to the back and let down the seats to get my stuff out.

My question is, does this issue mimic the issues that have been prevelant with the all the passenger door issues posted here? If so, are dealers aware and fixing this as a warranty issue? Any information anyone can pass along would be greatly appreciated.
    jbo723,

We're sorry to hear about the troubles you're having with your Tahoe's rear hatch. If you decide to work with a GM Dealership and want for us to work through that process with you, please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• mmoran1234mmoran1234 Member Posts: 3
    I have seen many post on this site as well as other sites about broken door lock actuators. I have a 2008 Yukon XL that I bought new. First, the drivers door lock stopped working and since I was out of warranty I had to pay almost $300 for the part and labor. Now the front passenger lock does not work and both of the locks in the back only work intermittently. I contacted my dealer who contacted their GM rep, only to be told that GM wouldn't help me out with this. Simultaneously, I contacted GM with an email of my own, to which I was told that they were "backing the dealer and rep" and would NOT help me out. Really? If I want my door locks to work I am going to have to spend another $900 for a total of $1,200 - on door locks!!! This is a known failure (just look on the internet), yet they refuse to help. So consider this a warning if you own this car or are thinking about buying one.
  • mike747mike747 Member Posts: 1
    Next in line with door lock problems. Has anyone replaced the actuator themselves. If so how difficult and where to buy the actuator

Mike
    Thanks Sarah... I'm getting the problem fixed tomorrow and GM will pick up $500 of the $800 bill. I'm fine with that. I appreciate your help.
    GM is picking up $500 of the $800 bill for me.
  • vincesegvinceseg Member Posts: 9
    Lucky guy, I got the shaft on a 900+ bill. And they don't work for $$%@. Stick at least once a week if not more.
    Great news! If you should ever need any further assistance we're available to you.

Have a great holiday season!

• palmourpalmour Member Posts: 4
    i had 2 of my door locks fixed this past January i had ask for all 4 to be changed but the dealer refused stating theyonly change the ones not working at the time. If the locks are clearly defective i did not understand why they did not fix problem completely. I called the dealer recently because SURPRISE another lock is broken and they stated i would have to pay $80 because my vehicle is 3 years olds and mileage. This would have never been an issue if they would corrected the problem in January(all 4 locks). I have yet to understand why they would not treated as a recall issue and corrected the problem then. Its apparent by all the complaints just on this website should have been a recall issue. i would appreciate GMC fixing all my locks as it should have been the first time.
  • hhawahhawa Member Posts: 2
    My family owns 2 2008 Suburbans and a 2009 Tahoe, all 3 vehicles are overseas. I was not aware of this site untill today. A few months ago one of the Suburbans was involved in a small accident with a baby sitting in the back seat. Both rear doors had been acting up a few months before the accident and would sometimes remain locked. On that fateful day when the accident occurred we tried getting the baby out but both doors would not open, due to the number of people gathering around the accident scene (the accident occured in Africa) we panicked and ended up breaking the window in order to get the baby out. In the process the baby was injured. It was a terrible day for us. I had contacted GM in the USA a few weeks prior to the accident and was told there were no reports or recalls for faulty door locks. Interestingly, the second Suburban developed the same problems, I ended up ordering the locks from the USA and had them air freighted. Just this morning I got a call from my wife telling me that her 2009 Tahoe has the same problem. I went online and found this site. I have written GM and am so extremely furious and frustrated, I cannot comprehend that they would knowingly ignore such a major problem and design flaw. Had the vehicle caught fire during the accident we could have very well lost the baby due to the doors not unlocking. I defenitely think this calls for Legal action against GM, this is criminal on their part.
  • treynolds03treynolds03 Member Posts: 3
    its obvoius to me that GM doesnt care about saftey. I've had my Yukon in for repairs of the door locks and a faulty airbag sensor (that cost me over $500.00) and then for a worn wire on the O2 sensor (another $200.00) and not one time did they do anything about the RECALL for the heated winddhield washer system that causes fires. Go figure, completely loosing faith in this company
  • lorn3lorn3 Member Posts: 5
    I couldn't agree with you more. As you can see from this thread, this problem has undoubtedly affected thousands of people. GM is, as I have mentioned previously in this forum, being penny wise and pound foolish.

I suggest you contact the federal gov't: Office of Defects Investigation (ODI), an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). ODI conducts defect investigations.

The link is here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I hope your baby wasn't seriously hurt.
    Hello hhawa,

We're sorry that you've had these difficulties with your vehicles. It looks like everyone made it through the accident okay?

Are these American vehicles that were shipped over seas? Just checking as I want to make sure I approach this correctly.

Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Our apologies if an open recall was not addressed when you visited your dealership for service, treynolds03. Has it been taken care of, or would you like for us to help get that appointment set up?

• hhawahhawa Member Posts: 2
    Hello Sarah.

The 2009 vehicle was bought from the Dealer abroad, I checked the carfax it went straight from Wilmigton, DE to the dealer.

The other 2 Suburbans were bought from a sub dealer. All 3 vehicles were brand new and none of them have more than 16k miles on the odo as of this date so they are practically new vehicles even after 3 years.

I appreciate your efforts to intervene in this matter but I believe GM is not seeing the bigger picture and the seriousness of this issue. There is a fundamental problem with the locks on hundreds of vehicles, this is something that should have been recalled a long time ago, whether the cars are in the USA or abroad should not make a difference. I might be emotional about this but I sincerely do not wish for anyone to have to break a window in order to get access to their child. What if someone finds themselves stuck on a railroad track and can't get their child out bcs the doors won't unlock? Please understand that this is a serious issue.

If you need further info on the vehicles I can email you the VIN numbers or any other details.

Thank you.
    Jean
    Jean,

If you would please forward us the following information at [email protected], we will see what we can do:

Your name and contact information
    The last 8 digits of your VIN(s)
    Summary of the situation

We will likely have you try working with customer service for your region first if you're out of the country; if that doesn't progress, we'll forward the information to a contact we engage with when things don't to smoothly with regional service.

• lenglish01lenglish01 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased this car and noticed that the rear passenger door lock does not lock when using the door lock button or with the keyless remote.

I started researching this and discovered that this seems to be a big problem with this year model. I guess I'm lucky that only 1 has failed.

At any rate, I was unable to determine if this is covered by some recall or if GM is reparing these even for cars that are no longer covered by factory warranty. So my question is will GM cover this or will I have to pay to have it repaired?

Any guideance is much appreciated.

Lane
    Hello Lane,

We can look into this further with you and your dealership if you like. Please contact us via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealer, and a recap of the situation).

• lrg51lrg51 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    New member here... I apologize for what appears to be a reply to a post. I meant this to be a new post.

My 09 Tahoe LT has 46,000 miles on it. Bought it a couple of years ago with 17k. I've had some nagging quality issues that have been addressed and repaired under warranty.

Today, for the 3rd or 4th time in the past 2 months, my driver door would not open from the inside when I put the car into park. The door handle would not open the door. However the fob locked and unlocked all doors... the door lock knob moved up and down fine on all doors. So I lowered the window, reached outside and manually pulled the handle to open the door.

If I was in an emergency situation, I don't know what I would have done sort of breaking the window.

With all the reports all over the web and many her about the failure of door locks, I do not understand why a safety recall has not been issued. I'm going to complain to the Feds to see if they have received complaints.

This is my 3rd Tahoe since 2002. A $55+ vehicle should NOT have this many consumer complaints without some sort of action for repair. I have not been pleased with the 09 Tahoe. I've had other annoyances with this veicle including starter failure in the dead of winter in upstate NY.

I really doubt I'll be buying a 4th Tahoe when I shop this spring. Love the size, power and towing capacity. But I need improvement on quality...
    lrg51,

We're sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your Tahoe and that you're having these concerns with your door locks. If there was anything you wanted for us to check into with your dealership (we cannot make any guarantees up front of what the resolution would be), please email us at [email protected] with more information (include your name and contact information, a brief recap of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• lrg51lrg51 Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate your offer. I am not sure what you can do that I cannot accomplish. This vehicle is off warranty. I see no recall notice. I figure I am stuck with the repair cost.
  • jlbmnkyjlbmnky Member Posts: 1
    I wouldn't waste my time going to GM or the dealer. I have a 2009 Tahoe and we just had our 3rd door lock stop working today. Chevy covered the first lock under warranty, but refused when the second lock failed 6 months later denying that there was a problem with the locks. We begged them to just replace all of them since it's clear that there's a problem with the locks and that they would all fail. Chevy customer service just told us that we didn't KNOW that the other 2 would fail and the dealer just nods their heads. Well as of today, it looks like we were right and we're going to be out another $280. I'm surprised that no one has filed a class action lawsuit. It would be a great investment and might help others with the same problem out. I'm betting some of us could get our money back for the lock repairs - I'm headed for $1,000 in repair bills not counting 3 or 4 hours a time sitting at the dealer!!!!
  • carltonjcarltonj Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I am new to this forum but not new to the issue. I have a 2009 Chevrolet Tahoe with 88,000 miles that I bought new. Within 2 years of purchasing this vehicle I had 2 locks not working and now all 4 are bad according to the General Motors Dealership. Over the summer they agreed to pay for 50% of the repair however this is unacceptable seeing how there are many documented issues of this problem. The dealer even told me this is a major problem. I know 3 others that have 2008-2009 Tahoes that have had the same problem. It is uncomprehensable that they will not admit to faulty hardware. Those of us that have spent $45,000+ on a cars should not be having these problems. I have not even had mine for 4 years. My wife is currently in the market for a new car and this issue will seriously way on our decision to purchase a new Chevrolet unless they admit to the issue and fix it. Good luck to all of you that are seeking a resolution. I am not here to bad mouth Gm, I am here to shed light on this issue in hope General Motors will do the right thing and fix the faulty locks.
    carltonj,

We're sorry to hear that you're having these concerns with your door locks. If you wanted for us to check into this further please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership, as well as a brief summary of your situation).

• markfu14markfu14 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Avalanche LT, around 50,000 miles, both rear locks went out. I was searching for a possible problem, looks like I found the cause here. Hopefully GM will do the right thing and issue a recall.
  • watchdogdadwatchdogdad Member Posts: 1
    Hi There,

I have the same issue. Can GM help me?

Thanks,

Ian
    If you haven't already, markfu14, be sure to email us at [email protected] (include your name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and a brief summary of the situation) so we can look into this further for you.

Hello Ian,
    We'd be happy to check into this further for you. Please email us more information at [email protected] (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation).