Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tahoe Door Lock Problem

Comments

• bodog77bodog77 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    Trying to get GM to do anything while the government owns them is a joke. I have an 09 Suburban and all of my locks don't work. Local dealer wanted $95 bucks to "plug it in" and diagnose the problem. And then estimate of $300 for each. Really, I hope the ride gets stolen because we have to manually lock the doors all the time and miss one every once in a while. Oh wait the tail gate has no manual external lock (doesn't work always) I guess they can get it that way. GM ISSUE A RECALL!!! GM rep don't bother with contact me at "[email protected]" I did that two years ago and filed a report with NTSB which at that time had over 5k in reports of this issue.
  • mike_bcmike_bc Member Posts: 2
    I was travelling and purchased a used 2008 Yukon Denali XL. It was a very nice one owner vehicle with 48k miles. It came with a 30 day, 1,000 dealer warranty for the GMC dealer whom I bought it from. But driving back home with it I had exceeded the 1k mile warranty within a few days.

After owning for 2 weeks the driver door lock started acting up. It was not until a few days ago that I figured out what was really going on. I locked it with the fob to continue some Christmas shopping after putting a zillion gifts in the back. But the lock failed to secure the driver door. Surprisingly no one stole all the presents and the lap top computer in my SUV, but you can imagine how livid I was upon my return from additional shopping to find the driver door unlocked.

After researching this issue on this site (and some others) it appears that GM will be facing lawsuits and bad press for their inadequate parts and refusal to repair them. I really wish I had purchased the Toyota Sequoia that I was also considering. At least Toyota understands that a recall can help your reputation.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    mike_bc,

Are you planning on getting this checked into with a dealership? If so, we're available to you. Please don't hesitate to contact us via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, a brief summary of the situation, and the last 8 digits of your VIN).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • tahoeman3tahoeman3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Tahoe ( 40,000 miles) and both rear doors, lock actuators are dead. In the last month the passenger door is acting up.

I have sent you contact information so i can get on the list so as to be contacted after GM has identified the Cause & Corrective Action.

I really dont need to spend $100 -$150 at the dealer to tell me my locks are not working.

I need to know what to buy as in a replacement. Do not want to install the same revision part that is in the tahoe at this time. What will be the updated version and how will i be able to identify it.

Please expidite this issue, because it is a big safety concern.
    Hello tahoeman3,

Thank you for contacting us via email - have you received a response back?

• mike_bcmike_bc Member Posts: 2
    Sarah,
    The email address you sent me to was no help at all. Here is the exact message I received back from them:

"I am sorry to hear of the door lock concern that you are having. Recalls are not issued by GM, they are released by NHSTA. Since your vehicle is outside of it's warranty I cannot garuantee cost assistance to fix your door locks. However, I would be happy to locate a dealership in your area for you to have your vehicle serviced.

Ashley
    GM Customer Assistance"

I am capable of finding a local dealer. That was never mentioned as the problem. The problem is the lack of support from GM to fix a know problem in their highest priced vehicles. GM is losing me as a costumer for life.

I encourage anyone reading this thread to stay away from all GM built trucks and SUV's from 2007-2009 as this is a common problem. A reputable manufacturer should never treat their customers this way. I remember Toyota replacing entire V6 engines in the mid 90's (in trucks & 4Runners) when they had a common engine problem. All these engines were replaced "out of warranty" at no cost to the owner.
    Good morning mike_bc,

It is correct that we cannot promise up front that we'll be able to assist in any way, and I'm sorry if contacting us via email only served to add to your frustrations. The dealership is where we have to start if you wanted for us to consider this further.

• tripltripl Member Posts: 3
    I am with you, I am now looking at ford products as much superior than GM product
    They would not fix my 3 doors that all went out
  • borys001borys001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Tahoe and I had to go to the dealer 9 TIMES for the same problem (Doors lock activators problems) 8 times during warranty and one time GM fix the problem to me for FREE (without the warranty on Dec 2012), BUT I wonder if GM is going to do a recall to all 2008 and 2009 TAHOE and SUBURBAN cars due to SAFETY ISSUE, because the doors remain OPEN while driving. This is my 3rd time I got a brand new Tahoe but this 2008 came with this door problems. WAITING FOR GM.
  • jaicee6t8jaicee6t8 Member Posts: 2
    Please file a report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I'm not sure what the magic number is but eventually the reports will exceed the amount and they will force GM to recall the vehicles and fix the latch problem. This issue is not only with 2008 and 2009 models, it has been going on for years.
    Good morning borys001,
    How are things working after the replacements in December of last year?
  • ndhousemoverndhousemover Member Posts: 17
    Why don't you ask me how things are going after a year of dealing with General Motors? Ask me my opinion on this situation that is an absolute joke. Maybe I should ask you why a company that knowingly has defective parts issues still feels the need to screw over their customer base on a regular basis. Why charge the customer the $90 diagnostics fee when it turns out to be your well known and well documented defective product? Your caring and concern end at the door when the dealer says that they won't cover the costs because the corporation won't reimburse them. Then it's a "sorry we couldn't help." It truly is up to the local dealership. If their nice they might cover some of the cost. If not then they'll show you the door.
  • rab2897rab2897 Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 Tahoe has had multiple actuator issues. Currently the Driver side front has a problem. I hear that GM had a grease issue in 2008-?. The grease outgases and is hard on DC switches(actuators) and motors. Heat and humidity agreavate the issue. What this means to us is that until the grease is done outgasing. Actuators are gonna fail, and fail, and... Darned shame they don't supply a bulletin and fix this before someone gets trapped in a vehicle. We are of course out of warranty.
    rab2897,
    if you would like for us to check into this further for you with your dealership, please email us at [email protected] with more information (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership, with a brief summary of the situation).

• jibcamjibcam Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    I had one door lock go out on my 2008 Suburban last year with only 28,000 on the vehicle. The dealership was kind enough to replace it at no charge even though it was out of warranty. They were contacted by GM Customer Service through a complaint I had filed. The service manager at the time told me the solenoids are of low quality and made in China and there should have been a recall. I had the truck in different service a month ago with yet another lock that had failed a few months earlier. They can no longer help me with a free replacement and want $270.00 per door. Last week the passenger door lock became inoperable and yesterday a rear passenger lock failed as well. I only have one of four doors working now.

Someone suggested we contact the National Transportation Safety Board and file complaints so that maybe they can force GM into a recall. This is my third Suburban and looks like it will be my last. :mad:

Here is the link to file a complaint:

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners/
    jibcam,
    If you would like for us to check into this further for you, please email us at [email protected] with the details you included in the post above as well as your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN.
  • js2012icloudjs2012icloud Member Posts: 6
    All have had this issue as well
    it started with driver them passages doors
    I have had my SUV for 4 years and I replaced them 3 times total they
    Gm Chevy suck on this they always go out so do the head lights

I'm the thinking twice on getting another Gm Chevy SUV
    js2012icloud,

I'm just clarifying - are they currently out of order, or is this something you've had troubles with in the past?

• jibcamjibcam Member Posts: 2
    Three are out of order. Cannot afford the
    $700+ for the three to be repaired.
    The only one that is working is the one that
    was replaced last year.
  • 08tahoe108tahoe1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem everyone else on here is having. My right rear door lock works whenever it feels like it and recently my driver door lock went out completely. My truck has a little over 30k miles on it but I am already out of warranty. This sucks!!
  • tiffers1126tiffers1126 Member Posts: 1
    Mine too have went out 1 by one....I have searched for a recall but have not seen that there has been one. I attempted to get the first one fixed and was told it would be over 400 dollars...I will be trading this car in soon and NOT getting another GM... Just doesnt make sense. I would like to be informed if there is ever going to be a recall.
  • warrenjpwarrenjp Member Posts: 1
    Sarah:

I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid and three of my four door locks are inoperable. I can see in this forum that this is a common problem. I'd like to get these problems repaired and I'd like to see GM pay for these failures. Can you help to make this happen?

Thanks,

Warren
    Hello All,

If you are having a concern with the door locks on your vehicle and would like for us to check into the situation further, please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, approximate mileage, and a summary of the concern).

We cannot guarantee what the results of the inquiry will be, but we will look into the situation thoroughly.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • texmomtexmom Member Posts: 3
    Sarah,

I have a 2009 GMC Yukon Denali. This is my third GMC vehicle. I paid $52,000 for this car. My last two GMC vehicles had door lock problems after they were about 10 years old; i could understand this. However my Yukon began having door lock problems after only TWO years of ownership and at about 35,000 miles. Heat made the door locks worse. In the winter they'd mysteriously begin working again. I tolerated this little idiosyncrasy until now. The door locks no longer work at all except for the drivers side. I believe my personal safety and that of my passengers is jeopardized every time i drive this car. I will contact you at the email address you've provided and I hope to hear back from you.
    Hello texmom,
    We'll look forward to hearing from you via email at [email protected]. One of my coworkers will be responding to you towards the beginning of the business week.

Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • flynkayakerflynkayaker Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Please add me to the list as well.. My passenger door lock is inop on my 2009 tahoo, my engine is consuming to much oil...was put on an oil consumption monitoring program, splash device later installed, problems continue and now dealer says car is out of warrantee...even though the problem was documented long before warrantee expired..... Now they say the "lever" that shifts engine from 4 to eight cylinders is defective and needs to be replaced ($1500 to $3000)....

REALLY????

I am very interested in pursuing a class action law suit on this if; anyone else?

RECALL THIS DEFECTIVE ENGINE AND DOOR LOCKS !!!!'

This is the worst customer support I have ever seen!
    flynkayaker,
    If we can check into any of these concerns further, please contact us via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • flynkayakerflynkayaker Member Posts: 2
    Dealer now says they will replace all the valve lifters, first at 40% (60% my share), then for a $300 deductable after we made it clear we would be seeking a "legal" solution. We will still have to do the "oil monitoring program" but at least we are finally getting somewhere with the engine and traction control mechanical issues.

Dealer says no coverage on the door lock though...

I will contact Sara at GM Customer Service and keep all informed here!
  • jenningstjenningst Member Posts: 1
    I too have a Chevy with door lock problems. I have a 2008 Suburban. I did not realize the doors were not locking because I always use the remote & assumed everything was locking. It was not until my purse was stolen out of my car we realized the driver door did not lock. Now the back driver side door lock does not work either. What does it take to get GM to recognize this is a problem acoss the board??? They really need to recall this. Thinking about giving up on Chevy...seems to have declined over the years.

Disappointed-
    jenningst,

We're sorry that your purse was stolen as a result of this problem with your Suburban. If we can check into this further, please email us at [email protected] with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• lorn3lorn3 Member Posts: 5
    What is worrisome about this whole issue is that a young child could open the door and you might not even realize it, as well as so many worse scenarios that GM must be aware of.

What's it going to take?
  • ndhousemoverndhousemover Member Posts: 17
    "If we can check into this further"... Really? Thousands of these things go out on a yearly basis and you twiddle your thumbs like the uncarring corporation that you are. The quality and customer service of General Motors is a joke! Good luck everyone in trying to get GM to help you.
  • mothertheresazmothertheresaz Member Posts: 3
    I have the same vehicle -- 2008 Hybrid Tahoe, same problem. One lock was fixed while under warranty. Two more went out within the last few months. I contacted GM and have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. We'll see what happens.
  • texmomtexmom Member Posts: 3
    Sarah -- Thanks for the reply on the GMC door lock forum on Edmunds.com, but as of yet I haven't heard back from anyone regarding my GMC Yukon door lock problem. I sent all the requested information (VIN, dealer, etc.) on February 11th to your [email protected] email address.

I'd very much like to hear from you or a coworker to try and get this matter attended to.

Kind regards,
    Katie
    Our apologies that you have yet to hear back from us, Katie! Perhaps try re-sending the email or sending it to my work email at [email protected]

Please keep us posted on your progress with the dealership, mothertheresaz. We can be reached at [email protected] if you should need anything.
    Sarah I will. I have been in contact with Ashley at GM Customer Service.
    Just want to let everyone know that my issue was favorably resolved and both faulty actuators are being replaced as I write. The dealer agreed to waive their $130.00 "inspection" fee and I am to pay a $200.00 "deductible" to replace both actuators. Thanks to GM Customer Assistance and Advantage Chevrolet for coordinating a favorable outcome. Good luck to all others out there. Hope that your issue is resolved as easily as mine.
  • hcrossinghcrossing Member Posts: 9
    2009 Tahoe LTZ - Driver's side rear door has not been working correctly for the past three months. Finally died this last week and won't ever lock. This is coinciding with my power tailgate not working as well. Makes sounds but doesn't want to work.
    Who did you call to get this approved my door locks have been replaced as well and one has gone out again
    Do you have a direct contact to the person you worked with ?
    Pls and thanks in advance
    So how did it go with the dealer
    I can't believe that GM has not called a recall on this because it sure seems like they get a heavy amount of complaints but you know they won't unless we go straight to the US NHTSA

I know I have small children and if they attemp to open that door which does not work while driving this will cause I big deal for them. They go out too often. I can't afford to pay every other year nor can I afford to have an accident with my children.
    hcrossing,
    Let us know if you would like for us to check into this further. We can be reached at [email protected] (please include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• buzzr1buzzr1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado crew cab. Last month I spent $500+ to have the front driver and passenger electric door locks repaired. Two weeks ago the rear passenger side door lock also failed. Now the rear driver side lock is balky.
    buzzr1,
    Was this work performed at a dealership? If so, and if you would like for us to follow up on this, please contact us via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • crazyhorse4crazyhorse4 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I've had 2 fail on a 2008 Suburban, one failed under warranty, one failed a few months after my warranty expired. I fixed myself.

I wouldn't pay a dealer $100 to tell me the latch was bad for this common problem.

For you do it your selfers, the repair is not that bad, latch part is about $115 shipped, takes about 45 minutes to do.

Tools needed:
    Pick tool to remove access panels to bolts
    10mm socket (3 bolts)
    Pry screwdrivers (for door panel separation)
    Needle nose pliers (inside door hand clip removal)
    T27 torx (latch removal)

My latch part numbers on a 2008 Suburban (you should always check with VIN lookup)

Front Left: 25876386
    Front Right: 25876388 (Warranty Replacement)
    Rear Left: 25876391
    Rear Right: 25876392 (I Replaced)

And here's a great video set to watch on the repair:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgf0S6x0-lM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCbufraxXto

Cheers.
  • 09yukonhybrid09yukonhybrid Member Posts: 2
    It appears that this is a universal problem. I have replaced every door lock on my 2009 Yukon Hybrid. Love the truck, but that is very frustrating. Especially since I drive a lot and the warranty is out. Roughly $250 bucks a door. Seems like this is poor design and should be handled by GM.
  • 09yukonhybrid09yukonhybrid Member Posts: 2
    At the dealership right now and they are perplexed. It consistently make a noise that sounds like a grinding gear when changing from gas engine to hybrid. It is coming from the front right side of the vehicle. They have never experienced this before and don't know how to fix it. It happens every time so it is not like they can't replicate the issue.
    I am sorry to hear that you have had a frustrating situation @09yukonhybrid. I can assure you that we take your feedback very seriously and use is to continuously improve our vehicles. Without you there is no us. Please email me at [email protected] if there is anything I can do:-)

Crystal-GM Customer Care
  • elvis56elvis56 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I bought the 2008 tahoe for my wife, she loves it. I personally think the new chevrolets are the nicest looking vehicles on the road. I had been searching the forums and doing my homework before I bought it. Its got just under 90,000kms (canada) and has been ok so far. It does eat a bit of oil with the 5.3, and usually only on the highway. Well last night we went to the store and when I tried to get in the passenger side of the truck, I nearly tore the door handle off. The door was locked, but the truck was running so the door should have unlocked. Wont work with any switches or key fob so guess what, actuator is toast. My factory warranty is up in 1 month so Im going to call the dealer today and see if its covered. I have an aftermarket warranty that may also cover it so no big deal but I hope this is not a sign of things to come. I am currently looking at getting an avalanche and dont want these little ongoing problems.