Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Ford Edge

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Anyone shopping a twenty-eleven?

Looks like it's a big enough of an update or facelift to justify a separate topic.

Comments

• craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Thank you for creating this topic Steve!

I'm extremely excited about the update the Edge is getting. It appears Ford is chocking it full of high end features and options. Game on!!!!

Does anyone know when this will be released? So far all I've read is "Summer".

Craig
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Yes it looks to have great tech, but at a price.
    Can't get HID light package unless you buy a limited, too bad.
    Glad to see it will have option for HD radio.
    Eco boost engine probably not ready until late this year or early next.
    It is on my want list, we will see when it comes out.
    Old Mike
  • towsie2001towsie2001 Member Posts: 3
    I've seen "this summer" too, and I'm very eager to buy one. However, my Ford salesman was told by the group buyer for his dealers' group that the 2011 Edge won't be available until "late in the year." I'm deeply disappointed.
    I dont know about late this year......It wouldn't be on Fords website with such specifics it if was that far off.

Salesmanship 101 says sell what you have today. Many people that need a car will not want to wait if they are told a given product is "far" off. So they give in and buy whats on the lot today.

I could be wrong who knows. I'm crossing my fingers its going to be June or July.

Craig
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Problem is by not being more specific on availability, the lease I have running out requires a decision. I really like the new 2011 with the new engine options. Unless something is released soon with a more definite date Ford will lose me to another brand car on my list.
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    Looks nice.. But I wouldnt be surprised to see ford price the limiteds and sport at over 40000. If they do they can bl** me.
    Regarding your desire for the "new engine options" -- if you're referring to the Ecoboost, Ford said that the Ecoboost option won't be available in the initial Edge cars, but will be released later on.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    My local Ford dealer will have a 2011 on display this Saturday, May 15th. Not sure if anyone will be able to do a test drive, probably a pre-production vehicle. Will ask if there is any pricing available. Will take pictures.
    nifty, did you get to see the 2011 at your dealer?
  • stoned_beaglestoned_beagle Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know if these are at dealers yet, or when they are due to arrive? :confuse:

The local dealers aren't showing any 2011 Edges in their inventory on their websites.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    They're still in the quality hold stage - they haven't been released to dealers yet. Should be at least another 30 days.
    Read over on the FordEdge forum site not to expect a 2011 until September.

Note: It was also mentioned that the 2011 will be a short build model year and the 2012MY will start up sometime in January 2011.
    A family member just test drove one of the first 2011 Edge to land on Long Island. It received a huge thumbs up following the test drive!!!
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    My 2007 CX-9 has been an excellent car, but, as a Ford retiree and one who cares about US economy, I have to get a vehicle with the Ford Oval. I'm also motivated by the excellent products Ford is producing.

Would like something smaller, but annual migration from AZ to MI, carrying 5 months of living stuff, requires a bit of cargo room.

I also need a vehicle that's fun to drive and proud to own. The Edge looks like the winner ... so far.

I was considering the Grand C-Max, but question its ability to carry 6-7 people (an advantage, but not a must).

Explorer is definitely out due to lack of select shift. I drive a lot in the west & southwest with long steep downgrades, and don't like the smell of cooking brake pads.

I've been away from Edmunds forums for a while, so I hope to make some new friends, and hook up with some old ones. Hi Alan.

I'll probably stir things up a tad with my beliefs on left-foot braking, outside mirror aim, and other issues. Right, Alan?
    Wow - there's a blast from the past. You might want to take a harder look at the new Explorer - I think it has plenty of engine braking ability for descending hills even without select shift.

Although you certainly wouldn't go wrong with a 2011 Edge either.
    Good to hear from an old friend. Are there any other former LLSOC folks that hang out on Edmunds?

Also good advice. I plan to drive both the 2011 Edge & Explorer. I'll also check out the Explorer forum.

The Explorer will have to fit my needs LOT better than the Edge in order to compensate for lack of SST. As a measure of its importance to me, you may recall that I converted my 2000 LS to SST from the floor of my unheated garage in Michigan in February.
    A few still lurk around. We're still active at llsoc but as you might imagine there's not much to discuss these days. Let me know how the explorer looks.
    My dealer just got a few 2011 Ford Edges. He said Ford was stockpiling them until they had enough to broadcast to all dealers to make sure everyone had something. He also said there's a lot of demand for this car so there aren't any incentive offers just now. He thinks that after dealers clear out their remaining inventory of 2010 Edges there might be incentives for the 2011, depending on sales.

I test drove two Edge Limited's. I found the car generally lives up to its reputation from the reviews. The engine is strong enough to pull the car nicely, although there seems to be a lag of a few seconds between the time you press hard on the gas pedal and the engine revs mightily. And when it does you can definitely hear it. But then when you get up to speed it quiets down again. The brakes are incredibly strong, best I've experienced in a car.

Some other things that bug me. The power steering feels heavy to me. Some reviews called it "well weighted" and "taut," but I think it's kind of heavy. I was hoping for stronger power assist. The air flow from the air conditioner vents is only adequate, and becomes kind of weak when the A/C vents in the rear end of the front center console are open. The temperature is nice and cold but I think the cubic feet per minute should be a bit higher. The car has a high belt line, making me want to raise the driver seat to its highest position, otherwise you feel like you are sitting at a table on a seat that's too low and you find your chin resting on the table.

One thing I like is that Ford allows you to order the MyFord Touch as a standalone option instead of bundling it with expensive and useless (to me) extras like the Vista Roof. However, disappointingly, you can only get the High Intensity Discharge headllights as part of an expensive bundle.

I ordered a Limited with the Nav and MyFord Touch and a few other items. Out the door price will be $38K, not bad, except I really resent having to pay $50 for a tank of gas, $400 for "administrative fee" and $500 to cover Ford's damned advertising expenses. Delivery in six to eight weeks.
    He said Ford was stockpiling them until they had enough to broadcast to all dealers to make sure everyone had something.

BS. They don't do this - they hold them until they're sure the production line is ready (they build vehicles with no flaws for 5 continuous days) then start shipping them. The ones that are built initially and need repairs get fixed then shipped. They do NOT hold vehicles to broadcast to all dealers.
  • beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    I though Hid lights were only available on the Sport?
    Nope. The limited with Rapid Spec 302 has HID headlamps.

I drove one Friday, and like it enough to trade in my CX-9 and buy the 2011 Edge.

The one I'm getting is LOADED with everything except trailer tow. Color = white platinum metallic tri-coat, and medium light stone heated leather seats.

The light color and the BAMR will be a good combination for my 6 months in AZ.

Here's a question for you electronic geeks: How can I find out if headphones can be used with the entertainment system? The system has USB port and AV input.
    Gary - which entertainment system and what did you want to use the headphones for exactly?
    This one:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/edge/features/#page=Feature14

The top of the line Sony audio system with HD radio. It includes Sirius, travel link, & some other stuff. Also, Nav. system accepts SD card to display photos on the screen.

Often wife wants music or NPR while I prefer silence & the pleasure of driving.
    It looks like Ford Sync may have the best chance of supporting headphones.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/edge/features/#page=Feature9
    Being married I certainly understand the silence part. ;)

But I don't think you get a headphone jack with either system. The DVD headrests offer wireless headphones but I don't know if it works with the radio or sync.

Check the entertainment system owner's manual - those aren't available online.
    My CX-9 has the rear seat entertainmet system that includes two headphones ... IR not RF. I suspect the same to be true with the DVD headrest systems.

I'll take a look at what Crutchfield has. If they don't have what I'm looking for, I doubt that it's available anywhere.
    Being an engineer I know you appreciate simple solutions. Have you thought about these? They're on sale for $8.15.

That's good; thanks for the laugh.
  • realtor4realtor4 Member Posts: 10
    I have test drove the Ford Edge several times. It's a very comfortable vehicle. Does anyone know if the dealers will give any more off after the friends discount & rebates?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome back Lateralg - just as an aside from old conversations, I think the Ford bashing around here (shoot, around the country) has eased a lot in the last couple of years.

You didn't mention the Flex - that one interests me because it has some minivan qualities. And I like "square".
    Hey Gary - Steve has immortalized you in an Edmunds guide. The issue of blind spot detection came up in the MKX thread.

The Zen of Adjusting Your Side Mirrors

To paraphrase CarSpace member Lateralg, your car’s rear quarter panels aren’t a threat. Why should you be looking at them in your side view mirrors then? If you are like most drivers, you are still aligning your side mirrors the “old” way.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I remember seeing your posts, although I am not sure on what forum.
    Speaking of SST, I think this is New :surprise:
    It's about 50 miles from me, so I have not taken a look at it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2010
    immortalized you in an Edmunds guide

That's a nice way of saying I stole his stuff. Thanks. :D
    po-tay-to, po-tah-to....................
  • simagicsimagic Member Posts: 84
    Does anyone know if the 2011 Edge has turn signals in it's side view mirrors. I couldn't see it in any pictures and I saw someone blog where they said " I wish they had them". If not............What's up Ford?.......get with the program. Also, "host", any idea when Edmunds will be doing a test drive for the 2011?
    What program? Hardly anyone uses their turn signals anymore, especially here in Florida. :(
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Does anyone know if the 2011 Edge has turn signals in it's side view mirrors.

It's not mentioned in the specs. The Explorer is getting them.
    I'll let you know Monday when I pick mine up.

The '11 Edge does have a really cool turn signal feature: Move lever to first detent & release. Lever returns to neutral position, and turn signal flashes 3 times. It's named "Lane Change".

I drove an Edge 3.5L this week at a Ford affair for employees & retirees at Dearborn PG. Very quiet, nice ride, excellent handling, and unexpected stunning acceleration.

Ford also provided the Toyota & Honda "equivalents" for us to drive. I rate the Edge as the clear overall winner.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The '11 Edge does have a really cool turn signal feature: Move lever to first detent & release. Lever returns to neutral position, and turn signal flashes 3 times. It's named "Lane Change".

IIRC, this has been a Volvo feature for years. Glad to see Ford offering it.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I haven't seen them in any of the Edges that have been reviewed by the auto writers and I've read a lot of them. Pretty sure they are not.
    That is a nice feature. A lot of Euro cars have that. In fact the new 2011 Kia Optima has that feature as well. It's getting a lot more common.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431

The 2011 Kia Sorento has had that feature all of 2010.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    No turn signal mirrors. No vented seats either! Two bad omissions in my opinion. Especially for the Limited and Sport trims. I would expect these things at this price point.
  • rmazarrmazar Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove an 2011 Ford Edge today and my neck still hurts from having my head forced forward by the head rest. I am 5' 8'' and do not have neck problems. I could not position the seat and head rest to get this problem to go away. I had to sit with my back off the seat to avoid the head rest. :(
    I read an auto writer's review that mentioned the same problem with the headrest. Who wants to drive long distance with their head bent forward? This is such a crucial item. How do others feel about their headrests?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    might be from the volvo lineage. But, not just them anymore that has seats with headrests that really jut forward.

It is part of the safety system (keeping you from getting whiplash), but you are correct that it can be uncomfortable for some people, since they are not normally adjustable

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

All new cars have similar headrests - it's a new safety requirement. Leaning the seat back usually helps. Some people reverse them or bend the posts back. I think the new Explorer will have adjustable headrests - might want to check them out.
    It takes about 1 minute to reverse the headrest to a more comfortable position. I don't see a downside to the change if the height is set appropriately.

There are two releases for the support rods. One is for vertical adjustment, the other for removal. Depress both releases to pull headrest up and out.

BTW, my 2007 Mazda CX-9 has similar headrest configuration & hasn't been a problem in 3-1/2 years of use.
    I am seriously considering the '11 Edge as my next vehicle and most of the reviews I've read where the seats were mentioned have given them rave reviews for comfort. However, I did read the one that mentioned the uncomfortable headrest and then this recent poster. I've sat in cars at auto shows that have the headrests slanted too far forward for my liking and it was very offputting.

That's why I'm interested in your reply. If it is easy to just reverse that would be great but how does it look. Have you done it? The headrests appear slanted on one side and to reverse them it seems that it would look a little strange. Plus I'm sure they were designed from a safety aspect so would reversing them affect the ability to protect materially?

I'm sure someone will say, "well, why don't you just go drive one and see" and that makes some sense but I just like to research as much as possible prior to a test drive to not waste everyone's time.