Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Ford Edge

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Blame the IIHS. They came up with the whiplash test about 3 years ago and no automaker wants to fail their tests now.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Well, I had to look up IIHS. Interesting to note the Edge didn't make their top safety picks for 2010. Is the Head rest a new design for 2011?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Well, I just got back from my local Ford dealer after sitting in a new '11 Edge. I found the headrest to be no problem at all. I adjusted the seat fairly straight up(straighter than I would normally have it) and didn't find a problem. When I put the seatback in the position that I think I would normally drive it was absolutely no problem.

The only thing I can think of is the people that find the headrest intrusive must drive with their necks bent back or with their heads constantly resting on the headrest. If that's the case they may not like it. But for the other 99.9% of us it is just fine. Much ado about nothing IMO.

As far as the '11 Edge. I liked it a lot and it has a lot of features going for it. However, there is still a vast difference in the feel of the materials and quality of the leather, soft surfaces and switches and such versus the old Infiniti SUV I drive now. I don't expect the Ford to be the same as the Infiniti but I was hoping that it would be a little closer. Still a very nice vehicle that I could get used to and is still on my short list.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    first car I ever noticed this with was a Volvo XC90. I liked it (almost like having my head in a catchers mitt!), but I also like to rest my head on the headrest anyway (something you can't always do).

I found the XC comfy, but it hit my wife wrong, and she partly ruled it out for that reason.

Actually, the bigger drawback (to me) was the darn things are so big and obtrusive that you can't see past them to look behind you.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• qthqth Member Posts: 25
    There is a huge gap between headliner and front glass. Anyone checks the gap between the headliner and back glass? I do not believe Ford quality is job 1.
    but I also like to rest my head on the headrest anyway

BTW, they aren't called head rests. They are head restraints - designed to restrain the rearward momentum of your head in a collision.

Head rests are pillows on your couch and bed.

:)
    Isn't headrest just short for head restraints? ;)
    I guess one could make that assumption.

The way I look at it is a mis-positioned head restraint can be a head rest because one's head will rest on top of it when one's head snaps back at high velocity.

Head restraints should be adjusted so the head strikes it - well head on - at a 0 degree vertical angle. The head snapping back beyond that can lead to injury.
    FYI, it was a lame attempt at humor.
  • rmazarrmazar Member Posts: 2
    I don't know how tall you are but as I mentioned in my original post I am 5' 8''. My husband at 6' 1'' was not bothered by the head rest but sitting next to me he could see the problem it was causing me. We did try turning it around but then the backward angle would have allowed whip lash. I mentioned this problem
    because I test drove 6 new cars in the small crossover class this weekend and this is the only one that I had this problem with.

I agree that the Edge had plenty of good features but the discomfort from this head restraint would prevent me from buying. Maybe women under 6' are not Ford's target market for this car.
    edited September 2010
    I'm just a little over 5'-9". Theres been over 400,000 of these sold so I think we would be hearing a lot more about this if it was a problem for a large number of people. When I was sitting in the Edge in my normal driving position there was probably 3"-4" between my head and the head restraint. It may be that you have a particular position that you like to drive in with your head leaing back more. Since most women are under 6' and there are literally thousands of women driving this vehicle, I hardly think that Ford wants to exclude them. I really believe it's a personal thing. I sit up fairly straight but not anywhere near a right angle. If you tend to drive with the back of the seat in a more reclined postion with your actually leaning against the restraint I can see where it may be uncomfortable. Most people don't drive like that though.
    FYI, it was a lame attempt at humor.

For some reason, the icons don't show on my display so my ability to discern internet humor is pretty low.
    Yeah, for some reason the emotorcons aren't working correctly sometimes. Sometimes I see em and sometimes they show up just some kind of weird symbol. Guess we'll just have to put LOL or something just as lame as that.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I just drive ~ 20 miles on I-96, and had several indications of a vehicle in my "blind spot". Waaaaay too late. The amber indicator came on ~ when the vehicle in the adjacent lane was even with my rear bumper. This was true independent of mirror aim ... the old way that aimed at the very threatening rear quarter panel, as well as the proper way.

I consider this feature a total waste of money. A futile attempt to eliminate a self-created blind spot.

Assume I have my mirrors aimed the old way. If the amber light in the mirror is NOT on, is that adequate information for me to safely change lanes? Not for me.

If I am foolish enough to trust that no-amber-light means it's safe for me to change lanes when a vehicle is overtaking me, I'm almost certain to have a collision, or a nasty situation. Why? As I said above, I don't get the amber light until the overtaking vehicle is ~ even with rear bumper. If the vehicle is overtaking me, it's going faster, so will be in "my space" when I change lanes.

Bah! Marketing trumps Engineering again.

The Cross Traffic Indicator, which is included in the same package, seems to be a valuable feature, but I haven't evaluated it yet. I'll check it tomorrow at the mall parking lot.

The Edge? I LOVE it. So far it exceeds expectations. VERY quiet, excellent performance, comfy seats, good ride, excellent handling. Fit & finish as good as I've seen.

Learning SYNC & My Ford Touch is a bit daunting ... like getting a new computer with a different operating system. I'm getting a feel for what they were thinking when designing the system. This should provide a common logic thread as I explore it more.

The manual really needs to have a flow chart showing what happens when a selection is made. I would often have to look at the bottom of the chart to find my desired result, then trace my way upward to see what I have to do. I may create such a chart.

Time to eat & have a beer.

Be well, and do good things.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Gary - the sensor for BLIS is not in the mirror - it's in the rear bumper so mirror aim has nothing to do with it. I think you misunderstood BLIS - it's not a replacement for proper mirror aim or looking before you change lanes. It's simply an extra warning in case you don't see the vehicle in the mirror or by glancing or if you forget to glance.

I agree that it's not really necessary if you aim your mirror properly and glance over your shoulder. But it doesn't hurt to have the extra info. What I do see is a lot of people trying to rationalize wanting it by making it a "must have" safety feature which we both know is bunk.

Glad you like the new Edge. It's not a Lincoln LS, but it's a really nice vehicle.
    Alan - That was my suspicion about the sensor location. It fits with the accompanying cross-traffic warnng.

I agree about the LS. I can't say it's the best car I've ever owned, but it is my favorite.
  • mbzfan06mbzfan06 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone compared the Edge Sport, or any high end Ford Edge, to the Lincoln MKX?

About a $7k spread... seems pretty high for better leather and the Lincoln name???
    Compare the Edge Limited and the MKX and there is around $5k difference. MKX has, like you said, better leather and it also has a bigger engine. A few more bells and whistles are standard and a couple of items that you can't get on the Edge are available along with an extra year/mileage of full warranty and a longer drivetrain warranty. Is it worth the $5k? Do a comparison on Edmunds and see for yourself.
    You get the hot Lincoln 3.7 engine in the Ford if you buy the Sport Model... so that starts makes the Ford look like an equiv Lincoln with only a different name...??
    There is more to a car than just the engine.
    Just completed our annual 2,020 mile migration + another 500 miles in side trips.

One day was ~750 miles, one driver (me). The 2011 Edge is the best, most comfortable mile-eater I've owned. This includes 1996? Lincoln MK VIII, 2000 Lincoln LS. 2001 Lexus GS 430, 2003 Lincoln LS, 2007 Mazda CX-9. Seat comfort is excellent for driver & passenger.

I'll have more to report after we're organized in AZ.

I'll be glad to respond to any questions.
    Did you even read my post? There is a lot more than just an engine difference. The 3.7L is not available on the Edge Limited to my knowledge. The Edge Sport is kind of a complete different animal.
    m6

My intent was to compare the Sport Edge, not the Edge Limited,..
    to the Lincoln....

as you say ... the Sport is a different animal... but it is still 5k cheaper than the Lincoln, so what is the Lincoln advantage other than the Brand?
    edited October 2010
    If you don't recognise there is a substantial difference in Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura, Ford/Lincoln, Chevy/Cadillac in terms of interior refinement, sound deadening, creature comforts, dealer experience, longer warranties, etc. then you just won't understand. If the only thing that is important to you is engine size then you should stay with the Sport and save some money. The Lincoln really isn't a "sport" model even though it has the same engine as the Sport.

Hundreds of thousands of people(many pretty smart and frugal I would think) buy these premium brands for the the total experience and see value in the additional $5k+ these vehicles cost. I don't think that many people would just waste their money if they couldn't tell the difference.

I bought an Infiniti QX4 in 2002 because I got it for only a couple of thousand more than a Nissan Pathfinder due to end of year discounts and the Infiniti dealer was just dealing better. It is mechanically pretty much the same as a Pathfinder but the dealer experience, warranty, quality of materials, fit/finish, etc. were much better/nicer than the Pathfinder. I was happy to pay extra for it and still am after 8 years of ownership.

FWIW, the Lincoln FWD MKX MSRP is $39,995 and the Ford Edge Sport FWD is $36,995....a difference of $3,000.

The MKX is rated at 19/26 mpg and the Edge Sport is rated at 18/25. Some of the things that come standard on the MKX that the Edge Sport doesn't are:
    Power liftgate
    Drive and passenger auto up/down windows
    Univ. Remote transmitter
    Remote engine start
    Electrochromatic driver side mirror
    Cargo area floormat

To be fair there are a couple of things that the Sport has that aren't on the MKX including 22" wheels and steering wheel paddle shifters. After all it is a sport model.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Hasn't the new Edge climbed in price to where it is within only a grand or so of a 2011 new Explorer or Highlander? I thought the ones I saw on the lot were kind of expensive for what you got, while the mileage wasn't much different than those larger alternatives.
    Agreed that the prices have risen quite a bit. I think Ford is taking advantage of their new found celebrity. Can't blame them but you're right, the prices are getting fuzzier. I know the Edge has an advantage with the mpg but not by a whole lot.
  • simagicsimagic Member Posts: 84
    Does anyone know when the edge will be offering the Four-Cylinder EcoBoost Engine.
    I read at one point that it would be out at the end of the summer. That's now??
    They never announced end of summer - only "late availability". I'm hearing end of 1Q/beginning of 2Q. It's also going into the 2011 Explorer.
  • rs9904rs9904 Member Posts: 15
    Presently have had saabs for about 10 years. looking at an suv/crossover vehicle in next year or two/

like edge/mkx
    like jeep grand cherokee

jeep has a rear flipper glass does the edge?

edge will get a turbo which I like any guesses on mileage?
    No to the last two. On the fuel mileage I would guess 2-3 mpg better than the 3.5L V6 but that's just a guess. You might want to wait for the new explorer - should be out within the next couple of months and it offers the same powertrains and interior features plus some 4WD goodies.
    I agree, with so little apparent difference in sticker price versus features, I'm not sure what appeal Edge will have after the new Explorer hits the market. I expect there may be a nice rebate on Edge come around spring once Explorer reaches normal dealer inventory levels.
    I'm not sure what appeal Edge will have after the new Explorer hits the market.

It will appeal to those people who want a mid-size crossover and don't need seating for 7 - the same people targeting by the Outback, Venza, CrossTour, XC60, X6 et al.
    Perhaps, but if was considering one I'd wait until around June because I still think there will have to be a bigger price adjustment to it because the pricing is getting too high compared to the upcoming Explorer and the mileage for its smaller size isn't that big of a difference. Those models you mention aren't really big volume sellers.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have been seriously looking at the Edge. I currently own a 1999 Lexus RX 300 and would like to keep that style and buy American (although that is now a vague concept). However, my brother bought a 2010 Edge and had significant transmission problems. He ended up getting the transmission replaced under warranty and just discovered that he now has a transmission leak and is totally frustrated with his car. Has anyone heard of transmission problems? Has it changed in the 2011? Hard to overcome an anecdote so close to home.
  • smithdsmithd Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    Smith says about Compare Motorhome Insurance To start with always look for a fair comparison for example do not just go for the quote with the lowest price on a comparison site. Always remember though the cheapest quote may not offer you the best cover for example on the cheapest quote you may lose out on extra that you would get with another insurance quote.
    ===================
    Compare Motorhome Insurance
  • maraudermickmaraudermick Member Posts: 6
    My wife has a 2009 Accord; she has no trouble with the headrest, but I have to put a wedge shaped pillow behind my back just to drive her car comfortably.

I test drove a Subaru........same problem, which is why I didn't buy the car. I guess I should have read these posts first!

I ended up buying a 2011 Civic, and didn't notice the strain on my neck & shoulders until halfway into a 4 hr. drive. That was REALLY uncomfortable. Guess I'll get a wedge pillow for my car, too.
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    Just returned from a 2 city trip and got to drive both via National Car Rental and their Emerald Aisle. Fist stop was a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited, 2wd with the V-6, only 2400 miles. I hated the previous generation GC so was not expecting to be impressed. I was wrong. The '11 is a world away from the '10 in fit, finish, quality of materials and driving experience. 225 miles later the Jeep was my new favorite rental ever and I told my wife it's a strong contender to replace the aging Navigator in our garage now. The V-6 was soft off the line but plenty perky once the revs were over 2000. The soft response felt more like a programming error in the electronic throttle rather than weak bottom end torque. It returned 21.2 mpg over 225 miles, approx. 80% highway with the A/C off most of the time. Great new car, as soon as Jeep throws a $3000 rebate on one, I may have to consider signing up for car payments again.

Next stop New Orleans and a 2011 Ford Edge Limited. This had 11k on it and was a front-drive model. Jumping in, I was impressed by the dashboard graphics and the Sony sound system. Jumping onto I-10 to head for Florida, the Edge settled into an easy and smooth 80+ mph cruise. Very impressed by it's drive, but I liked the Jeep better. The Jeep felt more settled on the interstate and offered better sightlines. Finish and trim on the Ford was very nice but again, a bit below the Jeep in my opinion. The SYNC system was awesome, my i-Phone paired almost instantly and the Sony sound system with Sirius was much better than the Jeep premium system. But, after the initial experience, The Ford's arcade style graphics and touchscreen controls were distracting and much less convenient than the Jeep's traditional controls. Just turning on the seat heater in the Ford required multiple touches on the touch screen and I never figured out the presets on the radio. The Ford returned about 24.5 mpg on the trip, also 80% highway. The V-6 had tons of punch however and felt strong off idle, unlike the Jeep. Both vehicles are about 37k in Limited, 2wd 6 cylinder trim. Given the choice I'd take the Jeep. It's straightforward controls, highway stability and ability to tow more than the Edge give it a leg up. Both are very impressive vehicles however and an owner would be pleased regardless of their choice.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Thanks for the post. I am actually looking at these two cars for a possible year-end purchase. I would appreciate hearing from any other folks with thoughts on these two cars. I am interested in the AWD versions. It appears Jeep has the advantage in arena but I don't know anything about Ford's AWD system.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    since you are looking at 2WD, I am guessing bad weather is not an issue for yo? Since the primary difference is the Edge is FWD and the Jeep is RWD.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    Actually not in the market right now for either. Just a car guy who travels a lot and gets to drive a lot of cars as rentals. If it's something interesting,
    I'll post it. 4wd systems would really differentiate these two as the jeep's is highly sophisticated and off-road capable, the Edge is really just for foul weather. If 4wd was a must, the jeep wins hands down
    The 2011 Explorer seems to be much more competitive with the JC than the Edge would be.
  • fsu_seminole1fsu_seminole1 Member Posts: 12
    I really like the new '11 Edge, especially the Sport. Further investigation though, and HIDs are not available on the Edge's most expensive trim. It's available on the SEL, but not the Sport. Only halogens for the Sport, and HIDs optional on the SEL. I wonder why Ford did this...? Not much of a dealbreaker, I can go aftermarket, but would have to wait until factory warranty runs out. What do you guys think? :)
    Actually, they're only available on the Limited model. I'm guessing the focus groups showed people willing to pay extra for them on the luxury model but not on the sport model.
    Since the sport comes with the same 3.7L engine as the MKX I think it was done to differentiate the MKX from the Edge Sport.

No need to wait if you really want to upgrade to aftermarket HIDs. The only danger with aftermarket HIDs is if you fry the smart junction box. It won't affect anything else. Just make sure you get a reputable brand.
    Thanks robr2 and akirby. It is the LIMITED and not the SEL. Confused the trim levels">. I was doing a quick comparison and couldn't understand why HIDs weren't offered on the Sport, which is fine. I have aftermarket HIDs in my other car now. Work flawlessly. Definitely will get some from a reputable company, IF i get the Sport Model.
    edited December 2010
    Couldn't edit my last post, missed the 30 minute window. I looked up the bulb type for the Edge and it uses H1R2 (high/low) bulbs. Definitely something new. I havent crossed referenced them yet. The Edge will have to be out for awhile to get more info on aftermarket kits.

EDIT: Also the HID equipped Egde models use D3S also new to me. I'm used to D2R and D2S, and so forth. Definitely going to research some more. Any more info will be gladly appreciated. Thank you!
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    As expected, Consumer Reports had a review this month from the new Edge & MKX, and while the like the improved driving dynamics, they will NOT RECOMMEND neither model, due the overwhelming interface of the touch screen(s). They say it's not safe, and no matter which way you control the system, even verbally, it's more cumbersome than a simple dial on a knob.

And I must agree. While I do love technology and all the cool gadgets today, I think it is way overdone in a MOVING VEHICLE. It's just not the right, or safest place to implement such technology, period. It's enough what we already have, it's difficult enough not to be talking or texting or emailing while driving, no eating or drinking, why complicate us even more with such a "intuitive" system? That's too much while driving.

And in general, what was so wrong with the tried-and-true actual buttons and knobs? It was the easiest to use, even with gloves, and served its purpose perfectly well. Why mess with a proven tech? I mean, this is actually an answer to a question no one asked! It's like making my toilet with a touch screen and all I need is to swipe down on the screen in order to flush, or just press a button to activate the voice command and say "FLUSH"!.. That would be very funny, but it's useless. No one needs it! And so is the complicated interface in the car. Leave the complicated interfaces for the high-tech gadgets, where it belongs, not where it is not safe to use. But that's just my opinion, and you may think different, of course.
    I totally agree. I wrote almost the same thing CR said after I went and looked at the 2011 Edge when it first came out a coupld of months ago. I love tech too but having two or three ways to do the same thing is simply too much redundancy. Being able to push a button, say a command(hopefully one the system understands) to change temp is very Capt. Kirk-ish but is no better than turning a knob......just cooler I guess. Someone replied to my earlier post that having mores ways is good because if the first one breaks you still have another way to change it. These things are all wired together so I don't think that is really a plus. To me these things are a technicians gold mine down the road after warranty.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    The touch screen is easily avoided on the SE model....
    It's also optional on the SEL. It's only standard on the Limited.