Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Kia Sportage

conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
as there doesn't appear to be a thread for the new up coming redesigned model, I thought its time to start one.
It was already announced in the Geneva Auto Show and then introduced to the New York Auto Show at the beginning of April.

It should be in North American showrooms this fall.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2010
    Thanks Conwelpic,

Here's the Inside Line blurb about it:

2011 Kia Sportage: 2010 New York Auto Show

Revised cabin and new sheet metal. And only a 4 cylinder initially available until the turbo arrives. Wonder what the crowd reaction to a 4 cylinder is going to be?

• conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    And only a 4 cylinder initially available until the turbo arrives. Wonder what the crowd reaction to a 4 cylinder is going to be?

Shouldn't be a problem if they check the specs. The '10 version with the 2.7 V6 produces 173 hp, the 2.0L I4 produces 140 hp. Curb weight 3230 - 3527 lbs.
    The '11 2.4L base I4 will produce 176 hp and the 2.0L I4 turbo estimated at 274 hp. Haven't seen the specs of the weight on this new version, but I would imagine that it won't be more than the current version.

I have the 2.4L in my '08 Rondo and it has lots of power and its not as high a hp as the new version will be producing. Besides competitive vehicles like the CR-V have never had a six and they certainly sell lots of units. I think this version will do much better than the current one in this segment of the market.
  • jayrob167jayrob167 Member Posts: 4
    I am very impressed by the exterior shots of the 2011 Kia Sportage, IMHO the exterior is much better looking than the new Hyundai Tucson. I think the 2.4L engine should be more than sufficient for a vehicle of this size and weight.

I keep reading conflicting information in the early reviews about when the Sportage will be available in the US market. Some say mid-summer 2010, others say the fall of 2010. Anybody have any firm information about this?

Do we know where the new Kia Sportage will be built, will it also be built in Georgia alongside the new Kia Sorento or will it be built in Korea?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, but how many will check the specs? Turbos still have a bit of a reputation, undeserved or not, in the US. The typical buyer would probably prefer a small V6 over a 4 or a turbo - 4.
    I haven't read any firm confirmation from KIA, but my local dealer here in Canada is expecting it in August.

The Sportage is currently built in South Korea and Slavakia - North America getting the production from Korea. I know from production figures that the the Sportage line in Korea is currently being changed as they only built 43 units in March, 1,245 for February and 7,761 in January (these are all units for export).

Again nothing firm from KIA as to what is the next vehicle that will be built in Georgia, but have read possible the Santa Fe (but that is currently being built in Alabama) also speculation is could be the new Optima or Forte, but we should be getting something firm shortly.
    edited April 2010
    I follow what you are saying, but people are going to have to get out of this mentallity of thinking that a V6 is more powerful than a four.

The Sportage's direct competition like the Tucson, CR-V, Rogue, Tiquan (it only offers a turbo) do not have V6's. If they feel they need it they can move up to a Sorento.

You are now finding that vehicles in the past that didn't even offer a 4 cylinder are now making it standard. How many vehicles have V8's these days, that used to be standard on the vast majority of vehicles at one time.
  • jayrob167jayrob167 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the update. I guess August would qualify as late summer/early fall. There is actually some advantage for me that they come from Korea as the vehicles come off the boat here in the Pacific Northwest. Though KIA prices seem to be higher here than in other parts of the US.

From what I see on Youtube, it looks like the new Sportage is already on sale in Korea as the "Sportage R". The instrument panel looks a little bit different than the north American version.

I had also been reading that Hyundai was going to shift SUV production from Alabama to the KIA plant in West Point, GA. It looks the KIA/Hyundai folks are on fire right now, with the Sorento selling well and getting lots of positive reviews for the Optima, Sportage, etc.
    Further update on the arrival of the new Sportage. I was at my Canadian dealer today getting a normal service done on my Rondo and talked to the Sales Manager and he informed me that he has been notified that he should be getting the new 2011 Sportage sometime in June. He was surprised and hopes they are right as he has quite a few on order for stock and customer looking forward to seeing it when it arrives.
  • markleungmarkleung Member Posts: 44
    Hi conwelpic,

I am so excited to see that you got some news from your dealer. As soon as I found out about the new Sportage (April 1), I went to my local dealer (Plaza KIA Thornhill) and asked about it. One sales guy said next year, but the other said some time this year. He was supposed to email me when more news is received.

Do you mind telling me which dealer you are referring to? I am really looking forward to getting the 2.0T version. However, I wonder if it will have 274hp just like the Optima and Sonata?
    Sorry, I don't live in the GTA I'm 2 hrs east in Prince Edward County (if you put your pointer over my name, you will see a balloon with my location - wish they would make this site more user friendly!). My dealer said he would contact me within two weeks of there arrival. He's all sold out of 2010 Sportages, so is anxious to get the new model.

If you are after the 2.0L turbo version, there is a possibility that could be early next year, It will have the 2.4L initially with 176hp. I have that size of engine in my Rondo but it does not produce that much hp, so it should handle it very well as they are similar size and weight vehicles.
    Thanks for telling me about the mouseover function. I know where you are then.

Well, let's hope it is coming out really soon and be sure to let us know as well. I honestly hope the 2.0T is out this year to match up with my lease return in October. My preference will be Sportage, then Optima/Magentis, then Sonata.
    The 'swamp buggy,' best known for its commercials of a Cajun man running it amuck though alligator territory while squealing "AYEEAAHH!" looks - and feels - nothing like its predecessor. In a first drive for overseas journalists, we ran the Sportage along smooth tarmac, rather than rough terrain.

Following cues from Kia's 2007 Kue concept vehicle, the new Sportage now looks more at home fluttering around the city, rather than just the sleepy suburbs. It's modern and sporty, with cargo space to pack all of the necessities for a new family, or city slickers looking to escape to the wilderness for a weekend. It's one of the Kia's best new designs, one I hope will carry over with its other new vehicles. It also gets Kia's new "face" or what the Korean company dubs the "Schreyer line" - after the chief designer.

We drove the new 2.4L engine with Continuously Variable Value Timing (CVVT) to boost power and fuel economy. Behind the wheel the CUV feels capable of comfortably cruising in the quick lane; the engine was smooth and offered up power when needed. You won't want to take on a Lamborghini with it, but it didn't feel anemic like some of Kia's former engines. We tested the six-speed automatic transmission with Sportmatic clutchless shifting. In full-out, automatic do-nothing mode, the tranny smoothly did its job at the right time. A six-speed manual is also available. Climbing in to the driver's seat it's a short step, and from the captain's chair the Sportage feels low and well-planted to the road. The CUV will also be available with front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive.

In a less than flattering description, Kia's product planner said the crossover was dubbed the "Jerked Beefortage" by Koreans after it "crashed like beef jerky" in collision testing. Kia says the new Sportage earns a five-star rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the U.S. It's just the safety endorsement Kia is looking for since it's continuing to run its compact utility vehicle up vehicles like the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, VW Tiguan and Jeep Compass. The 2011 Sportage goes on sale this fall.
    according to Michael Sprague VP of Marketing for KIA US, the turbo will by available a "few months after launch", so I guess it depends how quick they can get the first vehicles to dealers and then you can judge from there.
    edited May 2010
    READ THIS

Starts at C$21995, but no mention of the 2.0T. :cry:
    That is not good news for me, if this is true :cry: :

National Post article
    From driving.ca:

$21995 to $34895
    its now official, came across this article:

Kia announces pricing of all-new 2011 Sportage

Mississauga, Ontario – Kia has announced that the all-new, completely redesigned 2011 Sportage will go on sale in late June at a starting price of $21,995.

“The all-new Sportage is the latest addition to Kia’s redesigned lineup,” said Maria Solis, vice-president and COO of Kia Canada. “The Sportage is an integral part of Kia’s strategy to develop world-class, design-led products that exceed customer expectations for quality and value in the Canadian marketplace.”

The 2011 Sportage will be offered in LX or EX trim, both using a 176-horsepower, 2.4-litre four-cylinder engine that produces more horsepower than the previous 2.0-litre four-cylinder and 2.7-litre V6 engines. The base trim will offer a six-speed manual transmission, while all others use a six-speed automatic transmission engineered and manufactured by Kia Motors.

The LX models include standard air conditioning, power windows, heated front seats, cruise control, tilt steering wheel, height-adjustable driver’s seat and keyless entry, while the EX models add leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter knob, telescopic steering wheel, and power driver’s seat with lumbar support. Other standard features include CD/MP3 stereo with Sirius satellite radio, auxiliary and USB audio input jacks, Bluetooth connectivity, six airbags, active front active head restraints, electronic stability control and rollover prevention. All models are covered by Kia’s five-year/100,000-km comprehensive warranty.
    Hi conwelpic, actually I posted the link to this same article on Post #15. It was not until a couple of days later that I found the list prices. Strange that they are not on www.kia.ca.
  • vw79type2vw79type2 Member Posts: 37
    Hello. Sorry I know this is the wrong forum to post this, but the one for the 2005 and later Kia Sportage doesn't look like it has been busy in awhile.

I am considering purchasing a 2010 base model Kia Sportage with FWD. I would appreciate any feedback regarding how well this vehicle handles in the snow. Just the typical winter road conditions, maybe a couple of inches of fresh unplowed snow. Also, any information regarding reliablility, especially with the quality of the interior would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
    sorry I missed it. I can understand the info being not available on KIA.ca, the want to clear out the old model first. They were also late in posting all the price info when the new Sorento was launched. Good discounts if anyone wants a '10 model.
    on the wire service today direct from KIA.

Kia Canada hopes to build on this momentum with the launch of the all-new Sportage that will arrive in dealership showrooms within the next 30 days."
    just found this all new microsite for the Sportage (looks like it was launched today), not yet fully developed, that will be in July.

http://www.kia-sportage.com/
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Thanks for the link, looks nice but I can see where visibility will be a problem although lately that design seems to be common these days.
    got production figures and it looks like the Sportage production has now gone into full gear with the new 2011 model as it had dwindled down to 43 in March, slightly up to 166 in April (probably doing tests and getting ready for full production) because in May its shot up to 5,113 units.

So they are on there way!
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited June 2010
    I've read several articles that mentioned that the 2011 Sportage, shortly after introduction, will be getting the 2.0 turbo. None state just how much hp/torgue this engine in the Sportage would have but it should be substantial as I believe it's a derivative of the turbo that will be going into the Sonata and Optima.

Haven't read anywhere that the Tucson will be getting this turbo engine. 270+ hp with well over 30mpg hwy(supposed to get 34mpg in the Sonata) would make this new Sportage a little rocket. Is KIA trying to make this a performance vehicle? All the reviews I've read about the Tucson state that the 2.4L is "adequate" but a little short on oomph. The turbo would make this a very inviting little CUV.

Anybody have any good info that this engine is for real in the Sportage and what kind of numbers it will come in at?
    according to Kia Media the 2.0L turbo will be available in the Sportage at a later date, but at this point I haven't come across any info as to when or specific details on it.
    I have the 2.4L in my Rondo and with the new Sportage in the same weight area and with the newer engine with more hp than mine, it should handle it very well, as I find the 2.4L more than adequate with great performance. I guess it all depends what you are used to or expect.
    It's kind of like the Sonata and Optima. What, isn't 200hp enough? However, people are used to a certain amount of grunt and acceleration and if the price is reasonable and the mpg is just as good......why not have some fun at the same time. :)
    I have the full Canadian specs and features on the 2011 Sportage, if any one has any specific questions.
    Did you get a brochure from your dealer already? Did you sales guy tell you anything about the 2.0T? Will it be out this year?
    there is no brochures out on the vehicle that I am aware of yet. This is another reliable source, but there is no mention of the turbo in the info I currently have, but I do have all the details you normally see in a brochure as to colours and how each model is equipped.
    Excellent sir. How can we get hold of this information then? A website? PDF? Please let us know!
    sorry you can't its not on a website and its not pdf. However, I have posted all of the information on another website (higher Canadian traffic), but unfortunately I can't provide the link due to the agreement on this site - they won't allow you to mention competiting sites. Tried it once before and got told about it.

But, like I said if you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them.
    edited June 2010
    I have mentioned competing sites in these forums many times but I have not provided a direct link. Maybe that is what the problem Edmunds had with your post. I have mentioned cars.com, autoblog.com, motortrend, etc. etc. and I know many other poster do the same and many include links to competing sites when they want to refer to photos. So you could just include the website in your post and there should be no problem.
    okay, its on kia-forums.com there should be enough info to keep you going for a while. :)
    thanks.
    2.0T out in Jan 2011?

I am not sure if I can wait that long...
    Thanks for the links. The turbo model sounds like a little jackrabbit. Interested to see what kind of mpg figures that model will have. Always liked V6 in the RAV4(it can really scoot) but just can't stand the rest of the vehicle, especially the way rear door opens and the spare tire mount. This may be worth a serious look.
    MotorTrend First Drive

Again, late availability of the 2.0T. Sigh.
    on the whole new redesigned KGIS site http://www.kiatechinfo.com/ you can download a pdf file on the Features and Functions Guide on the 2011 Sportage. Its under Publications and Glove Box Material.
    Just got an email from my sales guy in Toronto. He said that the Sportage has been delayed until September...this is not confirmed though, but I am certainly disappointed.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    for the Toronto market, you do want Kia to get it right the first time, don't you?

I know about being anxious to buy a new car, yes. I really do. Look at my Edmunds nickname. I love Kia Motors.

But just be patient and let them build it Kia-right. They will, they're on a nice roll in the past ten years.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I posed this question to Kia Buzz a while back and just recently got this reply:

when will the 2.0 GDI turbo be available in the Sportage for US and Canada?

answer:

As for the 2.0 TGDI Sportage in Canada and US, you should begin to see them become available in January or February of 2011
    May 5,113 units, June 6,730 units
    courtesy of a member on another forum, we were informed that maybe 800 - 1000 units have landed at the Port of Tacoma.
    edited July 2010
    http://www.kiamedia.com/secure/sportage2011-features.html

US prices $18,990 base, $20,990 LX, $23,990 EX (includes delivery)
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    Visited the local Kia dealer and they had received their 1st 2011 Sportage. The salesman took me to see it where it was being serviced. I sat in it and must say it's very well finished. I asked about the turbo and was a bit taken by what the guy said, you will have turbo problems at around 60K! Is this true? Also, direct injection has been in Europe for years! Better gas there? Is there a possibility of problems with direct injected engines here in the future? Will Kia keep their warranty the same with the turbo?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited July 2010
    the? The Kia salesman told you that you're gonna have turbo problems at 60,000 miles? I know nothing about turbo problems at 60,000 miles. And possible direct-injection problems...is it U.S. gas? Someone else come on and edumacate us, please.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

the 2011 Sportage owners manual is now available for free download from KGIS
    http://www.kiatechinfo.com/. It's in pdf format and about 9mb. Excellent way to find out about all the details on this new model :)