Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Hyundai Accent Replacement "Verna"?

phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
I just saw the recently posted pictures from the Beijing China Auto Show of Hyundia`s 2012 replacement for its its aging Accent! It`s stunning IMO! A shrunken version of the 2011 Sonata, its going to be a killer in the increasing hot B Segment sub-compact group. I`m sure Kia, Hyundia`s sibling company will be replacing its aging Rio with a similar updated vehicle as well. I hope the at least one of these companies makes available a 5 door hatchback like the Rio5. Hyundia Accent only had the 4 door sedan and 3 door hatchback. I love my 2006 Kia Rio5 and will not purchase anything other then a 5 door hatchback. Its sporty, yet offers the practical configuration possibilities of a small wagon allowing for easy placement of bulky objects and bicycles!

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Really a sharp looking little car. I hope the US-spec model is pretty close to this one. It's sorely needed, given the tough competition coming soon from Ford (Fiesta) and Mazda (Mazda2).
  • phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    I agree, I`m trading in either my 06` Hyundia Sonata or my 06` Kio Rio5 Hatchback for a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE 5 door hatchback that I ordered early Mar. I would like to replace the remaining vehicle with another small B-Segment 5 door hatchback later this year or next. I love the quality, fit, finish, of the Korean cars. Both Hyundia and Kia have really got it together now. The 5 year 60K bumper to bumper warranty does`nt hurt either! Can`t believe its the same outfit that made one of the worst under powered cars ever, the new 1988 Hyundia Excel I once owned for 24 months. What a difference 2 decades made!
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Phil,

I too had a 1988 Excel 3 door hatchback GLS I bought new. It was my first brand new car. Mine was the 5 speed manual. You'll remember the 1.5L engine was made by Mitsubishi. So many people complained about the old Hyundais but mine was pretty durable and got great gas mileage(32-38 mpg). Granted it was only like 68 hp but still, I bought it brand new out the door for $8000.

I drove the car for around 60,000 miles then when my brother returned from the first Gulf War(desert storm) I gave it to him as a homecoming gift. He and his wife drove that car for years.....The odometer broke at 160,000 miles then he and his wife divorced and his wife got the Hyundai and I have no idea what came of it. We estimate it had 190,000 when his wife left him. No major failures in the car except air conditioning.

Since then I've owned a '92 Scoupe, '98 Sonata, '02 Santa Fe, '07 Santa Fe and now a '08 Veracruz. Our next will be the Turbo Sonata when it comes out later this year....Cant wait!!

Craig
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Can't believe how this car has evolved since the '08 that my kid has. The wife is looking to downsize & this car is pretty dead on to what she's looking for...a mini Sonata...wow! Totally impressed here...might work for our son in a couple of years also. Hyundai has really improved into a major foreign car company, which is a win/win for everyone! Wonder when it will debut in the states?

The Sandman :);) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    I'd expect it to show up around March or April. It does look good, but I hope they don't increase the price and I hope there will be a 2 door hatchback available. Their current strategy to differentiate the Accent and Rio seems to work well and I hope they continue using it: Offer a 2 door hatch or 4 door sedan while allowing Kia to have a 5 door hatch. Based on the large number of 2 door Accents running around, I'd say there's a big enough market for it and it would be stupid for Hyundai to abandon that success.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited October 2010
    The KDM version goes on sale Novmeber 1 New Accent and US sales should follow by the end of the year if Hyundai holds to form. They also mention in that article that the new Elantra will make its US debut at the LA Auto show in November and sales start in the 1st quarter of 2011.
    If Hyundai holds to form, the new '12 Accent will come out in March. Legally, Hyundai cannot start selling a '12 model until after the new year and in the past, March is when they have introduced new models early (the all new 03 Tiburon came out in March of 2002). I'd be very surprised to see them introduce a new Accent and Elantra at the same time. I don't expect to see the Elantra until sometime between June and August.
    I thought the next Elantra sedan would be delayed to next year also, since the current one debuted just four years ago in the USA, but I've seen reports to the contrary. It will be introduced for North America in LA in a few weeks. Note that no 2011 Elantra sedan pricing has been announced, but pricing for the 2011 Elantra Touring has been out for some time. That is another hint that Hyundai will slip the new sedan into CY 2010 as a 2011 model. We'll know for sure in a few weeks. I do think it's a good bet the 2012 Accent won't arrive until next spring at the earliest, since there IS a 2011 Accent to fill the gap for the time being.
    I hadn't noticed that no 2011 Elantra pricing had been released. Interesting. Perhaps they are introducing the new Elantra before the new Accent. This is very odd since the Accent has been around since 06 and is most in need of being overhauled safety wise. If the Elantra hits showrooms in December as a 2011 model, I don't think we will see the 2012 Accent until the summer. Matter of fact Edmund's website says the target launch for the Accent is the summer of 2011.

Though I love my 2010 Accent, I am bummed about missing the 6 speed auto. The current 4 speed lacks refinement and the ratio gap between 2nd and 3rd gear is too large. I will say Hyundai is crazy if they plan on putting the same 1.6 in both the Accent and Elantra. There would be no differentiation between them except for the amount of space. If the 1.6 GDI is indeed going into the Elantra, they need to put a smaller 1.4 GDI into the Accent to make it stand out big time in gas mileage.
    According to this site, it should debut first half of 2011. It just went on sale in South Korea.

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2010/11/02/hyundai-accent-2011-launched-in- -korea/
    Its going to sell like crazy at the right price point! I love my Ford Fiesta Hatchback and want to replace my aging 06` Kia Rio5 Hatchback with either another Rio or Accent, whatever hits the showrooms first. Would prefer another hatchback but won`t wait if only the sedan is available first. I wonder if the new Elantra and Accent will have the DRL`s like the new Sonata? Now that I got my DRL`s activated on my new Ford Fiesta, would hope that Hyundai and KIa will put them on their entire fleet of new vehicles.
    Phil, how has your Rio5 treated you? How many miles and what kind of problems have you encountered? It's hard to get any useful long term ownership info here as no one talks about these cars. I have a 2010 Accent 2 door and am loving it so far.
    After 2 years of ownership, this car is great. My kid loves it...the wife wants to look at the new Accent in 2012. I do all the maintenance and have only done oil changes & a rotation since new. Now with 10k on the odo, all is perfect. This is the "perfect" small car anyone. Not real fancy, but it's a great ride!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Thanks Sandman for the update. Please be a more frequent visitor in the Accent owner forum. I'm jealous that your car only has 10k after two years! My '10 Accent has 3k in 1 month!! I'm curious...does the undertray have to be removed or loosened to get to the oil filter? I love how Hyundai puts the filter right up front but the undertray looks like it gets in the way some. I also wonder if you have experienced any shift flare when the automatic goes from 3rd to 4th? My rpm's sometimes increase by as much as 400 when shifting from 3rd to 4th. I think I have a malfunctioning pulse generator. I hope to get this fixed when I take it in for the first oil change.
    I`ve owned this 06` Kia Rio5 SX 5 door Hatchback since JUly 06`. I bought it used from a Kia dealership who sold it new in 12/05. It was traded in 7 months old with less then 3000k miles for a larger Kia. The only problems other then regular maintenance I`ve encountered with almost 60 months of service and 60,000k miles driven have been to lower front seat air bag replacements that failed and required the entire lower seat cushion being replaced. Its been a major problem with 06` KIa Rios and perhaps the Hyundai Accents too , but I`m not sure of the later. One of the pollution converters off the exhaust manifold needed replacement as well as the electronic ignition coil, all covered under the 5 year and 60,000k warranty. I`ll buy whatever hits the market first, the 2012 Accent or Kia Rio. For a $15,000 K priced vehicle, nothing beats their fit,finish, quality and WARRANTY!
    Here's over 80 images of the new Accent--Korean spec, but gives us a good idea what the NA version will look like, even if we don't get all the features the ROK version does. Note the FE numbers on the engines--sure hope we get the 1.6L unit!

I think I like the dash of the Accent better than the Elantra's. The Accent's is cleaner, and a huge improvement over the old Accent. Hope that dash makes it to NA.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/11/the-2012-hyundai-accent/
    Backy, thanks for posting those pictures even though they have been out for over a month. Rumor has it that the 2012 Hyundai Accent will be shown this Apr. at the NYC International Auto Show with sales beginning sometime between June and Aug. I hope they bring the 5 door Hatchback out at the same time but more likely they will hold that for another 6 months to a year. Notice the ugly N.A. change to the grill and nose of the car compared to the Sonata like Chinese "Verna" edition. Must have had to do with either price or meeting N.A. safety requirements for US and CA
    Yep, I knew they came out in November but didn't see them posted here (maybe I missed that?), so I thought I'd share the link.

The nose isn't real great, is it? But not bad enough to strike the car off my list. It takes a pretty ugly car, ala Aztek, to do that.
    Its a damn shame that Hyundai could`nt make the Chinese version of the Accent (Verna) front end nose and grill work for the North American edition. I own a 2011 Ford Fiesta Hatchback and I know that Ford "tweaked" the North American version a bit from the European vehicle but IMO the end result was still overall pleasing. Perhaps Hyundai felt that since the new Elantra basically copied the Sonata grill, enough was enough. Got to make sure that the cheaper nose job on their "B" segment entry does`nt compete too much with their "C" segment compact Elantra.
    It's also on our short list but I think the additional power of the Elantra will please the wife more. Do prefer the 1.8 in my Civic to my daughters Accent and with the wife currently driving a Mazda with the 2.3, think the new Accent won't be a good choice for. Hopefully when we get into serious looking mode, the Buick Verano will be out also...will be a bit more upscale than the Cruze, and she's from a Buick family to begin with.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

The new 1.6 liter 4 cyl engine Hyundia will be putting in the North American version of its new Volster as well as the 2012 Hyundai Accent is supposed to be a totally new improved fuel efficient 140 hp power plant that should get over 40 mpg highway. I don`t think you will find much difference between the performance of the heavier Elantra with the 1.8 liter vs the Accent with the 1.6 liter engine.
    Has the 1.6L 140 hp engine for the Accent been confirmed for NA? I was wondering if we would get the smaller engine instead, since 140 hp is a lot for a car in this class. But I wouldn't mind it. (wink)
    Hyundai didn't wait for the NY Auto Show to unveil the new Accent, it came out this week at Montreal.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/01/2012-hyundai-accent-gets-most-power-f- uel-economy-in-its-class-montreal-auto-show.html

Looks like a great update, especially the 1.6L GDI 138 hp engine, 6-speed trannies, and all the standard safety equipment. And a 5-door hatch! Yesssssss!

The FE numbers look a little low for a car of this weight (30.5/41 mpg for US gallons per the article), not much better than the bigger and more powerful Elantra, but those are unofficial numbers.
    Very impressed with how this car looks...not as nice as it's older siblings but nice all the same. To be honest, I think the Elantra looks the best of the three & I'm hoping the wife agrees & gets a 2012 titanium colored GLS with the package that has the 16"alloy wheels. That would fit our needs perfectly! I can definitely see my next car being a Hyundai also...never thought I'd ever stray from the Japanese brands...EVER!!

backy;...nice scoop of the Montreal Auto Show unveiling of the new Accent! I hope that US also gets the 5 door hatchback option. A lot of times Hyundai Canada gets different models and trim then we do here in US. Now, when do they get to dealerships? Spring..Summer..or early Fall?
    Although I personally prefer the practicality of the 5 door hatchback as a small wagon to the 4 door sedan, I actually might opt for the new 2012 Hyundai Accent in sedan form. I already own a 2011 Ford Fiesta 5 door hatchback and IMO it looks (much) better then the Fiesta sedan. On the other hand, the new Accent sedan IMO looks better then the 5 door hatchback! Plus, the Accent hatchback looks way too similar in styling to the Fiesta hatchback and I`d hate to have two look a like vehicles parked next to each other in my driveway even if they are in different colors.
    I just hope that this unveiling in Montreal means that HMA will have the new Accent at upcoming auto shows including the Greater Twin Cities show in March, so I can check it out for myself (might be on a turntable and not sit-able, though).

It will be a couple of years before I need to buy another car, but so far the new Accent looks like one to have on my shopping list.
    I like the styling of the new Accent, but am severely disappointed that there is no 3 door. There is a large number of people who prefer the sportier looks of a 3 door and have absolutely no need of 4 doors. Hyundai is making a huge mistake here, especially when you look at how many 3 doors are on the road today compared to the 4 door. Take away rental sales and the 3 door far outsells the sedan. Hyundai, bring the 3 door!!!!! The Veloster is not an alternative because its way too expensive.
    I almost never see the 3-door Accent of the current generation on the road--almost all 4-doors.

If Hyundai is making a huge mistake here, then so are a lot of other automakers in this segment, except Toyota, which offers the Yaris in a 3-door hatch. Going up-price a bit, the Mini Cooper and Golf are available as 3-door hatches. But that's it. No 3-door Fiesta, no 3-door Fit, no 3-door Mazda2, no 3-door Versa, no 3-door Aveo, no 3-door Rio.

It would be interesting to see if the 5-door hatch outsells the 3-door. I expect it will, by a large margin, because it's a better fit for more people than a 3-door.

And I think the new 5-door Accent is plenty sporty looking... as are the Fiesta hatch and Mazda2. I think you can have sporty with 4 doors. Unless sporty in your book means "only contortionists are welcome in my rear seat". ;)

As for the Veloster being pricey... what is its MSRP, anyway? The Accent 3-door was only inexpensive in the ridiculous GS trim--ridiculous as in no ABS even available on the car. Going to the SE with standard ABS and nice wheels costs over $16k, and that's with a stick and no options except mats! Not exactly cheap.
    edited February 2011
    In my city, the 3 door Accents are all you see, unless its a rental. I literally see 3 of my car every single day. If you check the Hyundai forums elsewhere, the vast majority of owners have the 3 door. Being that so many automakers have abandoned the 3 door market, Hyundai practically had a lock on all the sales, which amounts to easily 40,000 a year, if not more. Which is a lucrative market if you look at the paltry sales of the Genesis coupe. In fact, the Accent 3 door far outsells the Scion XD and XB, among others, that are 5 door only. The Yaris 3 door outsells the 5 door. These facts prove there is a decent market for the 3 door. If you wanted 5 doors, all you had to do was cruise over to the Kia showroom and get a Rio5 (which, by the way, sells poorly). Same car, same warranty. The fact that Kia was the only one that offered a 5 door and Hyundai only offered a 3 door helped differentiate the twin cars. Now, if Kia were to offer a 3 door, I'd be ok with that, but I'd prefer to continue in the Hyundai family.

As for styling, the Accent 5 door is decently sporty looking, but I think it would look better with 2 doors. It would look sleeker with a more raked rear window rather than the upright wagon look. I'm more lamenting the complete lack of sporty affordable cars. And nothing screams family car more than 4 doors. I'm single and have no kids. I never cart more than one other person in my car, so the rear seat never gets used. What could I possibly gain from 2 extra doors, except more weight?? There are many other single guys and gals out there like me.

The Veloster is predicted to start north of $16k and Edmunds currently lists its base price at $19k (I hope it's not that much! Hell, I might as well get a Genesis for a few thou more!). Quite a bit more expensive than the Accent GS. And it's not even a true 3 door, rather its a 4 door hatch!! My fully equipped GS automatic has ABS, XM/CD with 6 speakers, all power accessories, remote keyless with alarm, and stickered for only $15460 (I purchased for $400 below invoice). ABS is now included as part of the premium package on 2010 and 11 GS models. The only Accent lacking ABS is the GL, formerly the Blue or L model.
    So you are saying of the 52,000 Accents sold in the USA in 2010, 40,000 were 3-doors? Where did you get that data? HMA doesn't publish a breakdown of 3-door vs. 4-door Accent sales.

If you don't need a rear seat, there's several good options for you in sporty cars, especially used ones. For example, you could get a nice used Tiburon or Miata or S2000 or Mini Cooper or Z, for example. Or even a Civic coupe, which does have a usable rear seat. Much more sporty than any 3-door Accent, and no more money than a 3-door Accent with ABS.

And that 2011 GS with ABS and a stick and mats runs $14,400. Not exactly cheap, considering a MUCH nicer 2011 Elantra (roomier, more powerful, better looking, better fuel economy, ESC with traction control etc.) costs only $1250 more. The Elantra isn't a hatch, of course, but is much more practical for more people than an Accent 3-door hatch.
    edited February 2011
    You aren't quite understanding what I'm saying. My preference is for roomy 2 door hatchbacks and this preference probably goes all the way back to my first car which was an 84 Rabbit GTI. I could have bought a 2010 Elantra 5 speed for $600 more than my Accent. My preference for the Accent's styling, practicality, and automatic won out over the bigger more luxurious Elantra. I love Miatas. I used to own one, but they aren't very practical. I can fit a lot of stuff in an Accent hatch that I couldn't fit in any sedan or 2 seater and still get the style I prefer as well as the small exterior size and good handling I so desire. I don't hate 5 door hatches, I just prefer the style of a 3 door. The 3 door Yaris looks much better than the 5 door, as does the 3 door Golf compared to the 5 door. I don't think many people would argue against this statement.

If you lump together all 3 door hatch sales, I'm willing to bet Hyundai has at least 50% of the market, if not more. Thus why I said their decision makes no sense to abandon it. Why lose 30k sales/yr or more? They won't gain that many sales with the significantly more expensive Veloster.

My sales stats came from some article I read a few months ago. It was talking about hatchback sales. The Nissan Versa was the best selling hatch, followed by the Fit, Accent, and Aveo I believe. The Scion XD was the worst. The article was saying that Hyundai sold 5,000 Accent hatchbacks in one month, so I made an educated guess. At any rate, if those sales stats only included the hatchback, that would say the Accent was selling very well for only offering a 3 door.

Why not offer a 3 door AND a 5 door and let the public decide which they prefer? I almost bet that overall sales of the 3 door would win if current Accent 3 door hatch sales compared to 5 door Rio5 sales are any indication.
    Let's look at this from a practical POV... if Hyundai could sell 5,000 Accent 3-door hatches in the USA per month, it would be a no-brainer to offer one. The fact they probably will not offer one in the USA tells us they know they won't sell enough of them to make it worth their while. They're not stupid, and they're not a charity--they are in this for profit. If there's profit to be made on a 3-door Accent, they'll bring it here.

During 2010, Hyundai sold over 5,000 Accents in only 3 months, and the most was 5,700--the other two months were around 5,300. I have a hard time believing Hyundai sold only 300-700 sedans in a month when it sold 5,000 3-doors. Possible I suppose, but unlikely given these sales numbers include retail and fleet sales.

If I were you, I'd go for the Golf (or slightly used Rabbit) vs. the Accent 3-door. Far, far superior car, and a real nice 2007-2008 VW Certified Rabbit 3-door with Tiptronic can be had for about what you paid for your Accent GS, or even less.

P.S. If 3-door hatches are so popular, why did the Versa and Fit both outsell the Accent hatch? Accent should have clobbered those other hatches in sales, yes? And where is the 3-door Yaris on that list?
    edited February 2011
    But if 5 door hatches are all the rage, why is the Rio5 not selling? It's been a sales flop. I've only seen 1 on the road in my large city in the past 6 months. The Accent 3 door is everywhere. I'm not convinced a 5 door Accent will sell any better than the 3 door. So where is the added benefit to Hyundai? The market is flooded with 5 door hatches. There is more room for a 3 door to sell than a 5 door. Remember how the Focus ZX5 flopped while the ZX3 sold in decent numbers?

Sales of the Versa and Fit can be easily explained. The Versa is the roomiest car in its class and the largest. Americans love size and tend to gravitate towards the larger cars, even in the subcompact class. The Fit has Honda's name on it, the magic seat, and did better in crash tests. Hyundai has made huge strides in perception but Honda is still considered by many to be a superior product, thus the higher sales.

I do love the Golf, but I won't do used cars and VW reliability scares me some. I love Hyundai's warranty and styling, thus why I want to stay in the family. I've owned my Accent for 4 months and already have 10080 miles!
    Most Kias are a sales flop, relatively speaking. ;) When was the last time you saw an ad for the Rio5? I've never seen one in the history of the current generation, going back five years.

I really don't remember how the ZX5 "flopped" compared to the ZX3. Maybe where you live, there are lots of young, single people who prefer 3-door hatches? Where I live, in the family-oriented Midwest, I see few 3-door hatches compared to sedans and 5-door hatches and wagons. As you said, Americans gravitate towards size. Also utility, as in getting the most functionality for the dollar. A 5-door provides more utility than a 3-door. For most people I think, utility in an inexpensive car wins out over sportiness.

When I was single, and then married w/o kids, I owned several 2-door and 3-door cars. But not a very useful thing when MWK. Ever tried to wrestle with one or two car seats in a 3-door Accent? Ever tried to climb into the back with a bad back and bad knees (as my wife has)? And, America is not getting younger... it's aging. Notice the humongous levers on seat adjusters and larger dials/knobs on many cars these days? They are being designed for older folk, not youngsters. Sorry. The last 3-door I owned was a 2007 Rabbit. Great car (very reliable, btw, and had a 4-year factory b-to-b warranty as a VW Certified car). When we got rid of our mini-van awhile back, I had to trade the Rabbit on a sedan (Sonata) because my wife had trouble climbing into and out of it.

Maybe you could write a letter to John Krafcik and lay out your case for an Accent 3-door. Or get on the Hyundai Think Tank forum and make your case there. That will probably be a lot more effective than a post here.
    I agree! I own an 06` Kia Rio5 SX 5 door hatchback that now has 62K mileage and want to replace with another like vehicle. Like I`ve said in earlier posts, I love the versatility that the 5 door hatchback offers, similar to a small wagon. I bought a 11` Ford Fiesta 5 door hatchback last July and love it. I hope that the new upcoming 12` Hyundai Accent 5 door hatchback looks as attractive as the sedan. I (do) want the utility of the hatchback, (but) early pictures indicate that the 4 door sedan is much more appealing, contrary to the Fiesta hatchback being much more attractive then its sibling sedan, IMO. As far as 3 door hatchbacks go, its a small niche target group it appeals to and I think Hyundai sees the success Ford Fiesta is having with its hatchback sales versus its sedan, and that`s in 5 door (not 3 door) configuration.
    My kids '08 Accent GLS 4 door has been an excellent car so far...it just does everything right. O k mileage, comfortable for an economy box & it scoots around effortlessly...all my daughter needs. The other girl has the '09 Versa SL hatch, also an outstanding auto but would prefer the regular auto to the CVT it has. Just don't like the watered down initial take off that a regular auto tranny doesn't have. Once up to speed, a flawless car also...great 1st cars that I would have no problem driving as my dd...which could be a reality down the road, since I drive maybe 30 miles/week now.

The wife will also look at these when she buys next year, though I think the Elantra will fit her needs better. For her, a car is just an appliance to get from point A to point B...it just needs to start & run every time she gets in. She doesn't share my passion in the automotive area & makes fun of me about my Edmunds obsession! :)

But in the small car category, who could ask for more right now...possibly the biggest selection of new models ever!!

• hyundai_guruhyundai_guru Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    The Accent 3 door has probably the best styling in its class. I currently own a 2007 Accent SE which has four wheel disc brakes with ABS and EBD. It's a great little car BUT the only reason I have it is because back in '07 Hyundai dropped the 5 door Elantra (what I had before it was totaled). I never cared for the styling of the Rio 5. I've always preferred Hyundai over Kia, not to mention the odd lack of a sun roof even as an option on the Rio 5. Never mind the fact that their powertrain is the same. Before, I owned a 2003 Elantra GT which was, in my opinion, one of the best designed 5 door models Hyundai ever made. It was totaled in a three car pile up in 2007 leaving me with only one hatchback choice from Hyundai. Surprisingly, I was impressed by the changes in the Accent design and technology. It's light years ahead of the older models; complete with a 6 disc changer, sun roof, etc.

Here's the thing; I'm single, no kids but prefer a 5 door. I like the versatility of four doors and a hatchback. I don't like the inconvenience of those rare occasions when friends need to ride in the back seat and the front passenger has to get out, flip the seat forward, then the one or two friends have to squeeze in around the front passenger seat, etc. Pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. Of course, once you're in the back seat it's got the usual creature comforts that I've come to expect from Hyundai like actual lumbar support, etc. But still, it's just much better when those friends can simply open a door and hop in without disturbing the front passenger and having to always readjust the front passenger seat. Plus this new 2012 model has more power and FINALLY bluetooth. Not to mention an awsome 6 speed shiftronic. I'll be trading in my SE the second the 5 door is available here in the US. FYI: There will be an ebony black '07 SE with a sunroof and 6 disc changer for sale soon somewhere in southern california! ;)
    Have you seen the pictures of the 2012 Kia Rio 5 door hatchback being revealed Mar. 1 at the Geneva Auto Show? Its MUCH better looking then the 2012 Hyundai hatchback IMO. I hope they both hit the showrooms at the same time. Looks though that Hyundai will be at least 6 months or more ahead of Kia and I won`t wait, but the Kia hatch rear is not so Fiesta like and would get my vote.
    John Krafcik has confirmed there will be a 5-door Accent for the USA, in his posting on Hyundai Think Tank on Jan. 20:

I have a funny story. At the Detroit Auto Show last week, the folks at Jalopnik.com asked me to do a live chat with their readers. Having done a few of these with you guys, and loving that experience, I readily agreed. One of their readers asked if the new Accent was going to have a 5-door. I answered in the manner you’d expect me to…by saying: “Yes, and it’s going to kick the Fiesta’s butt.” Well, that sure got a lot of attention in Detroit, and in the blogosphere. And I can thank the Think Tank folks for honing my live chat responses in that way! And of course, I think when you see the new Accent, particularly the 5-door SE model, you’re going to agree.

I am reading into this, but I don't think he would have made the blanket "Yes" response in Detroit if the 5-door were going to be Canada-only.
    OK, so it's for the Saudi Arabian version with a different powertrain than what the US should get, but still useful and has some nice pics... something to whet your appetite until the "official" unveiling on Wednesday (guess the Montreal unveiling earlier this year was "unofficial"??).

http://www.drivearabia.com/news/2011/03/01/first-drive-hyundai-accent-2012-dubai- -uae-fujairah-gcc/
    Here's a link to the Hyundai press release with specs and pricing already available! (No pics yet, should be up soon I would guess).

2012 Accent Press Release

;)
    Only 30/40 mpg for the new 1.6L GDI engine. I was hoping for a bit more, since the new Elantra with a conventional engine and more weight gets 29/40.

And since one has to spring for the fully-optioned GLS to get a sedan with cruise and remote locking, there's only a few hundred bucks difference with the Elantra GLS with cruise, remote locking, and 16" wheels. The GS hatch might be the best deal.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    Thanks for all your posts. As a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring owner, I am sad that H will not be making it any longer. I am hoping H will bring the Sonata wagon to the US, and that will be my second H vehicle in the driveway. In case they don't, does anyone have any figures on interior legroom, headroom, etc on the 2012 Accent 5 door so I can compare it to my current ET? They look very much alike, but wasn't sure about the dimensions. Thanks in advance.
    Here's some specs:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/04/2012-hyundai-accent-price-fuel-economy.html-

You might find this review useful:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/04/2012-hyundai-accent-up-close.html

If you like the interior room of the Elantra Touring, I think you'll be disappointed in the Accent hatch. It will have much less rear legroom (the rear leg room of the Touring is limo-like) and less cargo space.
    Great post backy; thanks very much. Yes, you appear to be correct: the Accent is almost 3 inches shorter, narrower, and 3 less in rear leg room. I found it odd that the article tells us what the rear leg room is but not the front. You are also correct about the HET. The adult passenger room is wonderful. It always happens that I find a car I like and fits me perfectly, only for the manufacturer to stop making it (Malibu Maxx, HET, Pontiac Vibe). Well, I guess it is back to stuffing envelopes begging H management to send the Sonata wagon to the US.
    edited May 2011
    Well after deliberating for sometime now about what vehicle will soon replace my aging 2006 Kia Rio5 SX Hatchback, my decision has been made. I`m going to pass on the new Accent and continue with the new Rio5 Hatchback. Sure they share probably over 95% of the mechanical content down to the nuts and bolts but after seeing the massive styling improvement that Kia`s genius Peter Schreyer has done, the Kia Rio IMO wins hands down. Not only is the exterior more interesting and not Ford Fiesta like in Hatchback form but the interior as well. The new Kia Rio will be available in (3) different trim levels, ( LX,EX, and SX) compared to the Hyundai Accent`s (2) PLUS huge amount of comfort and convenience options that are (not) available either. The Rio offers ISG Technology (idle,stop/go) engine start and restart for better fuel economy, much improved quality interior fabric AND Leather option, Power Moonroof, Rearview Camera Monitor incorporated in Radio display, 17`` Alloy Wheels, directional signal indicators in exterior mirrors, need I go on? I know the Accent will be here in a few weeks and the Rio will arrive this Fall, the wait is killing me but I know it is well worth it. Hyundai, I love you and my Sonata but you dropped the ball with your new 2012 Accent. Too bad! And, what about those awesome Projector headlights that the new 2012 Kia Rio has along with high end LED DRL`s and Tail Lights? Where have you see those lately in a vehicle for selling under 20K?
    Will the rio 5 be the same dimentions as posted earlier for the new Accent? I'm trying to guage whether I will fit in it.
    I wonder what a Rio5 with all that equipment will cost? I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to $20k, if not over, given a loaded Accent w/o leather, moonroof, rearview camera, 17" alloys, projector headlamps, LEDs etc. is over $17k.