Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Hyundai Accent Replacement "Verna"?

Comments

• phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    Backy, Kia has not yet released prices of its new 2012 Rio or Rio5 with option packages yet. Probably will do so closer to Launch. Kia usually prices the Rio a bit lower then the Hyundai Accent and with (3) different trim levels and lots of different configuration choices, I`m sure they will start from the low 12K range to just under 20K. The Hyundai Accent GLS Sedan (loaded) if you want to call it that with 16`` alloy wheels, fog lights,a/c, auto transmission, cruise control and radio upgrade is 17.5K! The top of the line Accent Hatchback (LE/SE?) is around the same. Too little content at too high a price compared to what will be available on the Kia Rio. The "base" model in both Accent Sedan and Hatchback comes standard with 14`` steel wheels-tires & covers with "black" painted exterior mirrors and door handles and manual crank-up windows. A modern day Yugo! I`m definitely going to pass on it.
    I`m sure the new 2012 Hyundai Accent and 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchbacks will share very close dimensions in regards to interior room and within a few inches in exterior length. Both will have the same interior room to be classified as Compact segment vehicles instead of B-segment Sub-Compact, meaning the same as Civic, Corolla, Sentra, Focus, etc.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Sentra has mid-sized interior volume, FWIW. Not sure if the new 2012 Civic crosses that line or not--it is definitely much roomier than the old one.
    Maybe, that means Sentra which is Nissan`s smallest entry above its B-segment Sub-compact vehicle the Versa , is a Mid Size car? That would make its Altima a Full Size car. Then what is its Maxima classified as?
    You were talking about interior volume. Sentra (and Elantra also) have mid-sized interior volume per EPA specs. I think the Versa does too, barely. Not sure if Altima is full-sized inside. But Sonata is. The Maxima isn't all that big inside, from what I've seen.
    That was my point, if the new 2011 Elantra as well as the Sentra have interior volume thats declared "mid-size", the Altima being the next category up in size would be considered Full Size. The Maxima, which is marketed in the next tier up, would be considered even larger I would imagine. We are not even talking about Nissan`s Infinity group. I have no issue with my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback and its interior volume and I think the new Accent and Rio will be considerable larger. I don`t think the earlier Poster has to worry about those vehicles being too small compared to her 2010 Elantra Touring Hatchback.
    It doesn't work that way. Interior size is one thing. Exterior size is another. For example, the Versa has a sub-compact exterior but a "mid-sized" interior, per how the EPA rates cars by interior volume.

Maybe we should get back to the Accent?
    Backy, your right. I`m out of here. I`ll go back to the Kia Rio forum where I started. I just got dragged into this chat due to a Posting I was sent concerning the 2012 Hyundai Accent "Verna" which I had months earlier contributed to. Needless to say, I feel HMA Hyundai Motors America really dropped the ball with its cheap overpriced 2012 Accent. For whatever reason Hyundai decided to makes its Kia division the darling for the B-Segment class and I`m sure you will soon see that both Kia`s Optima and Rio sales will meet and exceed those of both the Sonata and Accent, just saying.
    Maybe so. Kia has a dealer deficit vs. Hyundai and some baggage even greater than Hyundai's to overcome, but the Optima is a very nice car and the Rio looks great too (although I prefer the interior styling of the Accent, from what I've seen in photos--the Rio reminds me too much of an old Civic inside). I'll look at both the Rio and Accent (among others) when it's time to get my next car.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I sure like the new 2012 Kia Rio hatchback coming out in the fall. Sharp car in white or cream color and I'd opt for the 6-speed, though it wouldn't be imperative to get the 6-speed stick for this rig. I'm more than a little interested in one in a couple years. Maybe.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

backy, I agree I (hate) the 3 bullet cluster instrument panel on the 2012 Kia Rio which they seem now to be embracing along much of their product line (Forte) included. That inexplainable (hole in the dash) to the right of the radio drives me crazy as well. I do like all the content upgrades that Hyundai (does not) offer on its Accent and I prefer the looks of the Rio5 Hatchback`s rear end much better then the Accent`s "Fiesta" style vertical tail lights. Guess it comes down to if you can live with a basically stripped down 2012 Accent or instead a 2012 Rio with a unattractive instrument panel and dashboard. I (do) like the European style toggle switches that control some of the HVAC functions and the leather boot assembly for the automatic transmission shift lever too. Those Projector headlights along with the LED Daytime running lights and LED Tail Lights are unheard of in this class of vehicle too.
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    Just a minor correction...the base Accent hatch has body colored door handles and mirrors, as well as power windows and remote keyless with alarm. If you get the automatic, it also includes standard cruise. Only the sedan comes in the ultra cheap version. The hatch GS model is by far the best deal of the 2012 Accents. I do wish they would offer standard 15" tires (like the Rio), or at least 185 width 14 inchers instead of the 175 width.

That being said, I'm torn between whether I would choose the Rio5 or the Accent. I prefer the Rio5's exterior styling ( It looks like a mini GTI, especially from the rear!), although the Accent looks good too, except for the funky looking taillights. But the Accent's interior looks more upscale and I prefer the blue/white interior illumination Hyundai uses over the red/white illumination that Kia uses. The available power sunroof on the Rio is also very tempting. Strange that Hyundai doesn't offer that!
    edited May 2011
    I was one of 30 people that participated last night, Tues May 17 with a Live Chat with John Krafick CEO of Hyundai Motors America. Everyone was throwing him soft balls and being cheerleaders. When I kept asking why the new Accent was so severely "decontented" compared to the new 2012 Kia Rio, he either did not respond and when he did, his only explanation was he could only comment on Hyundai as if he knew nothing about what Kia was doing being a "sibling" company to the parent corporation being Hyundai. I agree with your preference of the Accents more luxurious interior and blue/white instrument panel lighting over the red/white Rio`s, (like Pontiac used for years, very harsh on the eyes), but the LED DRL`s and tail lights, projector head lights, rear view camera monitor, power moon roof, leather interior option, turn signal indicators in exterior mirrors, 17`` Alloy wheels, etc. make the new 2012 Kia Rio my choice. Peter Schreyer former Audi head stylist did a remarkable job with this new B-segment vehicle. For whatever small shortcomings (I) can find, the pluses far out way any negatives. I think Hyundai is aiming its new 2012 Accent for the older AARP demographics with a "who shrunk the Sonata" crowd that wants 40 mpg and the new Kia Rio is being marketed to a younger and more sophisticated group who demand more upscale content and are willing to pay for it.
    I agree that the Rio is targeting younger buyers, but I think all the content is going to make the Rio too expensive. If the younger set wants something sporty, it would make more sense to get the new Veloster or even the Forte Koupe once you start getting into the 18-20k range. Personally, I feel the rear view monitor is nothing more than a gimmick. It's not needed at all on a small hatchback like the Rio. The sad thing is they will probably group together this useless frivolous feature with more important stuff in a package, thus forcing you to pay a lot for technology you don't want. The projector headlights are nice, as are the LED running lights, which give it an Audi look. I do wish the standard alloy wheels were 16", not 17", on the SX. The 17" look nice but tires are too expensive and the ride might be too harsh. 16" wheels are a nice compromise. They should make the 17" wheels an option.
    I agree, I would prefer the 16`` tires to the 17`` due to major extra cost of replacement, but I`d rather eat that extra cost once every 30K miles then live with the standard 14`` tires that the Accent comes with. Can anyone spell Flintstone Car? The rear view monitor will be mandatory standard equipment within a few years mandated by the NHTSA. If your looking for value, once you reach $17, 500. for a 2012 Hyundai GLS Sedan or LE/SE Hatchback with what Hyundai considers the "loaded package", your better off with the Elantra with almost the same equipment, same mpg and MUCH better resale value. I`d rather spend and extra $1000. and get the upgrade options like Power Moonroof, maybe Leather, etc thats available in the Kia Rio or Rio5 then settle for a much more base trim on the Accent and save $1000. I`ll enjoy the extras during my ownership and I`m sure it will be worth a few extra dollars in residual value 5 years down the road.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    edited May 2011
    I'm always thinking about my next car as soon as I get my last car! My 93 Honda Del Sol Si will probably swapped out for something more practical for a 60+ guy in the next year or two - something just as much fun & economical but more comfortable, better visablity & more cargo room. For several years I was sure a Honda Fit or Nissan Versa would replace it. Now I find these new Korean twins & the Ford Fiesta hatch intriging & will likely add them to my list.

However, two things I have trouble understanding: :confuse:
    1. Why can't the folks at Ford & in Korea can design a nice looking hatch with rear quarter & hatch windows that don't taper down to low rider appearance & visabilty? Those small windows just kill visibility & almost make a back up camera mandatory for a slight stiff old timer like me. Then I suppose they aren't designing these hatches for old timers, but I think I see more grey hairs driving Fits & other hatches than 20 somethings.

2. Also hard for me to understand is why -with two decades to improve engine technology - these new econo cars don't get significantly better gas mileage than an 18 year old Honda. I have had several Honda 1.6 L cars than consistently got 30 mpg city & 38-40 hiway w ATs.

Finally I second the comments on 17" wheels when 15-16" would be just fine for econocars. The larger ones may marginally improve handling but have three negative effects: Heavier & increased fuel consumption, harsher ride & higher replacement costs.

Subaru is a great example with their new Outback. Increased space, comfort & mpg without serious compromises to the practical things such as visablity & overall performance. At least that is why I got one!
    :shades:
    Maybe it is time to change my call name to "Grumpy Old Man" :sick:
    edited May 2011
    How much did that 18-year-old Honda weigh (and how crash-resistant was it), how big was it, and how much power did it have?

All the safety regs and the need to haul around our ever-enlarged butts (in the US) have their cost.
    Grumpy, I`m with you. I just turned 66 and (I) purchased a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback last July an love it! It certainly was not styled and designed for (my) demographics but I love it none the less. I pre-ordered it last Mar. 10`` and took the $595. cash credit instead of the radio SYNC upgrade and got the Power MoonRoof for only an extra $100. I don`t twitter/tweet, upload/download, bluetooth,MP3, and I already have enough (sinks) in my house. The Fiesta gets great fuel economy 34-35 mg city and 41-43 mpg highway. My aging 2006 Kia Rio5 Hatchback is due for replacement and I`ve decided on the 2012 Kia Rio5, will be It. It is available with that rearview camera monitor you mentioned that by the way will be mandatory equipment here in the USA within a few years. The new 2012 Hyundai Accent does (not) have that as an option. I`ve been real happy with my Kia Rio5 for the past 6 years and have no hesitation about purchasing another Kia product this Fall when they finally arrive. Also want the Power Moonroof option which again, the new Accent does not offer. I agree, new generation 1.6 liter engines (should get better then 35 mpg city and 40 mpg highway but until the government mandates better fuel economy, it is still better then most other vehicles available for under 20K.
    Backy: The Del Sol weights 2420 lbs, had 1.6 L engine w 125 HP & 106 ft/lb torque. 0-60 - variously reported as 8.8 seconds to 9.8. 92 Si Hatch was almost identical.

In comparison, the current Honda Fit base weights 2604, has 1.5 L engine w 117 HP & 106 torque. 0-60 variously reported at 9.6 - 11 seconds.

For 18 yrs difference engine numbers very similar, performance & EPA are not signficantly different.

When it comes to comfort & crashworthiness, surely the current models are superior to those of 18 yrs ago. But I still am puzzled why with 18 yrs of advancement in aerodynamics, engines, transmissions, & materials... a care that only weighs 200-300 lbs more doesn't show greater improvements ii the MPG (or performance.

Interestingly when you compare the improvements in comfort, performance & economy of midsize cars, they seem to have faired better than the economy & compact cars.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited May 2011
    also along with the 2012 Kia Rio hatchback offering the backup camera do a little searching over at the 2012 Ford Focus informational website. They are offering the backup camera in some new Focus models but not all. It is paired with some other premium items in some of the packages Ford puts together for that new European-inspired compact car from them.

I would like to know more about the 2012 Kia Rio hatchback and sedan, particularly the Rio hatchback. That car looks awesome.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Since you Posted that you just purchased 2 (new) tires for your aging vehicle and will not be in the market for a new Kia Rio5 for a few years, what ever information you get on the soon to arrive Kia will not be pertinent in a couple of years when new features and options will be available. Unless of course you just like to look and enjoy "kicking tires" as so many folks do. The new 2012 Ford Focus only offers certain premium features with top end models like Titanium along with a bunch of packages that soon bring the price of the Focus to the upper range of $27,000. Way too much IMO for a Compact Hatchback that wears a Ford emblem thats not electric or Hybrid.
    Those that are old enough to remember the cars of the mid fifties and sixties that had exhaust pipes and mufflers rust out in a year or less especially with dual exhaust vehicles, it was (planned) to require almost yearly replacement. A huge industry was built on that, remember Midas, Mineike, Monroe, now they are Brake and Full Service Repair Centers where before they just did Mufflers and Tail Pipes. Car manufacturers miraculously found stainless steel for mufflers and exhaust pipes and now they last the life of the vehicle. Until public pressure or the EPA puts pressure on the Industry to greatly increase fuel economy, It will not happen on its own. Big Oil and Big Auto are in bed with each other and their Lobby is too strong to expect that (they) will bring about that change without pressure from the outside.
    The 2012 Accent weighs in at about 2650 pounds with the AT and has 138 hp. Heavier than the Del Sol, 10% more power, yet 25% better fuel economy (EPA 24/32 for the 1997 Del Sol with AT vs. 30/40 for the 2012 Accent).

I think 10% more power with 25% better fuel economy in a much roomier, safer, and more comfortable car is "significant".

Maybe one reason midsized cars seem to have improved more in economy than economy cars is that today, economy/compact cars are the size of mid-sized cars from 18 years ago! Plus there was weight to be cut in mid-sized cars. Harder to cut weight while retaining safety on the small cars.

You want better fuel economy compared to 18 years ago? How about the Prius? But that's using technology not available 18 years ago. The basic technology of non-hybrid powertrains hasn't changed that much in 18 years. Some evolutions, yes, like more cogs in the ATs, CVVT and GDI engines, but not totally new technology ala hybrids.
    Yup, the up & coming Accent sounds good on paper. Will be interesting to see how real mpg compares to EPA. The Del Sol in real life gets 29 -30 city & 38-40 highway with a light foot. Accent will probably do even better with same driver's foot.

Obviously the hybrids represent a true advancement in technology & fuel economy. But one has to drive relatively high miles to come out ahead in the $ department.

Test drove a Versa & Fit today. Both good cars I prefer the Fit, but I have trouble pulling the trigger & still enjoy the Del Sol. So I may sit it out for a while - perhaps long enough to take the Korean twins for a spin. I best stop bellyaching - we all know the good ol' days even if we are only talking 12-20 yrs ago were not really quite what we imagine them to be. ;)
    backy, Nothing personal and nothing against Hyundai, I`ve owned a 06` Sonata and currently own a 06` Kia Rio5. But for Hyundai to be bragging on its new 2012 Accent that will get an estimated 40 mpg highway fuel economy while its larger, more luxurious Elantra with a larger 1.8 liter engine gets the same EPA fuel rating...huh, did I miss something? Only a $1000. price difference to go from a Accent GLS Sedan to a Elantra with the same equipment? Hows that for a no-brainer when the Elantra will bring back much more trade in value in the future. Face it, Hyundai dropped a bomb with its "decontented" new 2012 Accent. GDI and 6 speed automatic transmission is all well and good but with almost no upgradeable options, and both purchase price and fuel economy almost identical to its larger compact offering, the Elantra I don`t see all the excitement and interest. I was very much looking forward to replacing my 06` Kia Rio5 with the new Accent and now for me, its a No Sale!
    But for Hyundai to be bragging on its new 2012 Accent that will get an estimated 40 mpg highway fuel economy while its larger, more luxurious Elantra with a larger 1.8 liter engine gets the same EPA fuel rating...huh, did I miss something?

No. See my post #45. I agree with you... it's odd that the Accent doesn't get hardly any better FE than the larger, more powerful Elantra. But OTOH, the Accent (and Rio) do match other small cars in the same class, e.g. the Fiesta SFE--and that car requires an extra-cost package to get 40 mpg.

But one thing I don't understand... how can you complain about the FE of the Accent just a few posts after talking about how much you love the Rio, which I think has the same FE numbers despite having the same powertrains as the Accent PLUS the idle-stop feature? Wouldn't you think the Rio would have better FE numbers than the Accent?
    backy: First, as an owner of a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback that I purchased in July of 10` with 8K miles driven, I get 34-35 mpg city and 41-42 mpg highway (without) the extra cost SFE Package. Ford decided just before Launch to (add) all the SFE features (except) the special low resistance tires, on the entire line of Fiesta vehicles making the purchase of the SFE option quite unnecessary. The Ford Fiesta EPA FE ratings are over 10% (lower) then what most Fiesta owners actually achieve. When have you seen that lately? Great Job FORD! Secondly, I agree the sibling twin of the Hyundai Accent the new 2012 Kia Rio5 will probably also get lower FE numbers then it should. I believe since Kia will offer "ISG" Idle,Stop,Go Technology on its Rio, it will get better gas mileage then the Hyundai Accent. It just does not make sense to assume that adding ISG will not improve gas mileage then a similar vehicle without it. The main reason I will end up with the Kia Rio over the Hyundai Accent will (not) be an extra 2 mpg fuel savings but the much more expanded options content that the Kia Rio will have available and the Hyundai Accent will (not).
    The Ford Fiesta EPA FE ratings are over 10% (lower) then what most Fiesta owners actually achieve. When have you seen that lately?

On every car I drive. Except it's often more like 15%.

In other words... if you get much better than EPA ratings on the Fiesta, odds are you'll get much better than EPA ratings on the Rio (or Accent).
    Thats is certainly News to me. Every new Car I`ve purchased in the past 30 years and there have been quite a few, (never), I repeat Never achieved the EPA sticker Fuel Economy estimates. They were always culled using Dynamometer devices that (over) estimated MPG that one got in real driving situations. My Fiesta was a refreshing surprise that it actually exceeded the EPA ratings. Most new car buyers are disappointed to find that their new vehicles never come close to the posted estimates that were on the MSRP sticker. Even more amazing is that I`ve achieved this excellent FE here in South Florida in heavy traffic be it city or highway and with the A/C always engaged due to the year around hot climate. All that in a fully equipped vehicle (loaded) and selling for under 18K! Who needs to spend 25K on a Hybrid?
    Just want to Post and make perfectly clear that I do not and never have been Employed or Worked for Ford Motor Co in any capacity whatsoever. Just a happy consumer that really enjoys his Ford Fiesta. Equally happy with both Hyundai and Kia products in the past as well, and plan on putting a new 2012 Kia Rio5 in my driveway as soon as their launched too!
    That is good to hear! So I might get 50+ mpg on a Fiesta, in more moderate driving and weather conditions... intriguing. Too bad the rear seat is much tighter than I'd want in a car.

So I have no idea whatsoever why you would be even remotely interested in a Rio, let alone a "stripped" Accent. :confuse: Why not just buy another Fiesta if you need two cars of that size?
    edited May 2011
    Actually, considering that the Fiesta is a Sub-Compact /B-Segment vehicle, the rear seat room is not all that bad. As long as the front seat passengers are not over 6` tall and put the seat back all the way, there is adequate room for 2 average size adults in the rear seat. I decided against the 2012 Ford Focus for the same reason I did not want another Fiesta. Who wants either 2 identical or similar twins sitting next to each other in ones garage? Both the exterior and interior of the new Focus is too much the same. I`m attracted to the new 2012 Kia Rio5 because of my good experience with my current 06` Rio5 and the 5 year 60K bumper to bumper warranty as well as the upscale options content and its attractiveness. The new Hyundai Accent is just too (utility) for me.
    As long as the front seat passengers are not over 6` tall and put the seat back all the way, there is adequate room for 2 average size adults in the rear seat.
    If the average-sized adults are contortionists or masochists, yes. I tried out the rear seat room of the Fiesta and it's really, really cramped when sitting "behind myself." And I'm only 5'9-1/2". I think average-sized adults (which I am) would find it intolerable except for a quick trip in town. Which might be just fine for many buyers who only use the front seats and never need to haul adults or teens in back for any distance. That just not me, however. I am curious to see how the new Accent compares. I found the rear accomodations of the old Accent to be tolerable, but certainly not a car I'd want to ride in for any length of time in back. Roomier than the Fiesta though. But the new Accent is bigger than the old one, so I'll have to see if it's roomy enough. If not, I can "move up" to a compact car like the Elantra with a roomy back seat and still excellent FE.
    I`m with you on the upgrade to the vastly more spacious Elantra compared to either the Ford Fiesta or the Hyundai Accent/Kia Rio but since I enjoy the practicality of having the mini-wagon Hatchback design to haul bicycles etc, I will forgo the extra rear passenger seat room for the storage configuration. Just my wife, myself and 2 Golden Retriever`s that usually go for a ride and an occasional guest that may join us for a trip to a local restaurant. Again, it is what it is, a Sub-Compact B-Segment vehicle. Parking and getting through the narrow streets of Key West, FL makes a smaller size vehicle one less headache to deal with. It was never designed for Soccer Mom`s as a substitute for a Mini-Van.
    At least one dealer in my area claims to have 2012 Accents, and my closest dealer said they'd be getting some "in a few days". I also see Fitzmall claims to have some in stock. So I was wondering if anyone has taken a test drive yet, or has purchased a 2012 Accent?
    I checked out a 2012 Accent GLS sedan at my local dealership today. It's the only 2012 Accent they have. A base model with AT, no options, $16.2k list price. Black with tan interior. I did not drive it because I won't be buying anything until next year at least and did not want to waste the salesman's time. But he opened it up for me so I could sit in it.

First impressions were that it is a very good looking car in person, better than in photos. Especially from the 3/4 rear view. Front is OK but not exceptional. Very much in tune with Hyundai's "fluidic sculpture" theme, but not as weird as the new Elantra. The plastic wheel covers were good enough looking that I wouldn't be forced to upgrade to alloys.

But the interior was even more impressive. It seems very roomy, as much so as some compacts such as Focus, Mazda3, and Cruze. The light tan interior probably helped provide an airy feel. (Although I am wondering about how easy it would be to keep the light tan fabric and headliner clean.) This was the base car without the optional interior trim upgrades, but I thought it looked very good anyway--a huge improvement over the old Accent and IMO the nicest interior in the class (although I haven't sat in the new Rio yet). All the plastics looked high quality (although surfaces were hard), the controls including the HVAC knobs were smooth, and the fabric seemed durable.

The driving position was comfortable for me even though there's no telescopic steering column. There's a fold-down armrest that is more practical for right arm support than a center console, although of course you lose the extra storage (upgraded interior has a center console with sliding armrest). Headroom was good (I'm 5'-9-1/2").

The real story on this car though is the back seat. With the driver's seat adjusted comfortably for me, there was as much or more legroom in back than in some compacts e.g. Cruze, Focus, Mazda3. There was plenty of knee space, with about 3" from knees to seatback, and there was just barely adequate foot room for my size 10 feet under the front seat. My ankles ran out of room first, but my thighs had adequate if not great support. It would be just fine for a few hours, or for smaller folks it I think would be quite comfy for all day trips. Head room was good, better than in the Elantra. Unfortunately, Hyundai deleted the rear center armrest that was in the old Accent.

The trunk seemed very roomy for such a small car. Like the new Elantra and other new small cars, there's no spare tire--just sealant and a pump. The trunk has conventional hinges, but the upside of that is the lid pops up for easy lifting when you lift the inside release lever.

I'll have to drive the car for a final verdict, but the fact it has a nicely designed interior with adequate rear seat room for adults or teens lets me keep the car on my short list. I'd have to get the upgrade package with remote locking and cruise control though. That puts the car within $1500 of a comparably-equipped Elantra.
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the Posting on your first impression of that Base model Hyundai Accent. I was ready to settle for a 2012 Elantra GLS with Preferred Convenience Package which includes Alloy Wheels and Fog Lights plus Mats for MSRP of $18,900. (but) my next car will have GDI and unfortunately the 1.8 L Nu Engine Hyundai is using is multi-port F.I. instead of GDI. Guess its going to be a long Hot summer waiting for late Oct. when the 2012 Kia Rio5 finally arrives. Oh well, glad there is no urgency on my part and I can wait it out. I do prefer the looks of the Alloy wheels naturally over the Steelies until you damage one and have to pay to replace it. My issue is (not) so much with a half way decent looking wheel cover, its just why did they have to use a 14`` rim? Kia is going to use 15`` in its Base model Rio. Amazing how just moving up one tire size gives the vehicle a much different stance. I`d like to ask a serious question about how that Base model Accent looked with those, (you know) door handles and mirrors? The Accent GLS Sedan, White with beige interior looks even nicer then the Elantra, IMO with the Alloy`s and Fog Lights, but I won`t consider it because I want a Power Moonroof which is not available for US but curiously is Standard Equipment on Canadian Accents with Preferred Equipment Convenience Package. Wait a second, I answered my own question on the door handle / mirror issue. You did say the Accent you saw was Black exterior with Tan interior. Well, I guess if you order that exterior color, They Match! LOL
    edited June 2011
    The 14" tires are cheaper to replace and probably give a smoother ride. But the Accent I'd get with cruise and remote locking has 16" alloys.

I don't know why you keep saying the Accent has black handles and mirrors. It doesn't. Here's the base sedan:

edited June 2011
    I don`t know where you pulled that Photo from, but unless Hyundai made a last minute change of content, both their Media Postings as well as the HMA Web site indicates that (all) Base model GLS Sedans have Black exterior door handles and mirrors regardless of what Exterior color is ordered! Check it out. Only the LE and SE Hatchbacks have color matching door handles and mirrors. No problem as long as you order Black! On the matter of tire replacement cost they we both have discussed in earlier Posts, True, when you get up to 17`` tire sizes, the price explodes! The difference between a similar ratio 185/75/14 and either a 15`` or even 16`` rim, the bump in price is at the very most a few extra dollars per tire. Not even worthy of consideration, IMO. The difference is ride comfort between a 14`` through 16`` tire would be unrecognizable.
    Every photo of a base sedan I've seen on the Web has body color door handles. The press release from the New York auto show does say "bodycolor door handles" for the GLS sedan premium package, but no mention at all on mirror color anywhere on the sedan. The GS does say "bodycolor mirrors and door handles". It's possible the photos on the Web are from the Canadian version, and maybe those get bodycolor door handles. I bet that change will be made pretty quick for US models if it hasn't already--how much can it cost to paint the door handles??

Anyway, if I got an Accent I'd get either the GLS sedan with premium package or the GS hatch, so I'm covered in color either way. :)
    backy, Just an update on the 2012 Accent GLS Base Model Sedan. I went over yesterday to a local Hyundai Dealership where they had 8 new Accents, all GLS Sedans, no Hatchbacks. Some of the GLS Sedans were Base Models and the others had the upgraded Preferred Comfort/Convenience Packages. I`m right! The regular Base GLS Sedans have BLACK painted exterior door handles and mirrors. Looks like a matte black primer. It looks soooooooooo (nice),LOL! Have to admit that the Accent GLS Sedan (with) the upgraded Trim Package did look sharp. The ones in White, Boston Red, and Dark Metallic Brown all with Beige/Tan interiors looked great. I asked the salesman why the new 2012 Accent (did not) have as a safety feature the Daytime Running Lights, DRL`s like both the Sonata`a and Elantra`s have, he said...huh? When questioned about the lack of standard Power Moonroof and exterior mirror directional indicators as the Canadian models have, he responded; "Say what"? Like I posted earlier, the 2012 Elantra GLS Sedan that was sitting next to the 2012 Accent GLS Sedan, both equipped with the identical options and trim, Alloy Wheels, Fog Lights, etc. Elantra had a MSRP of $18,995 vs the Accent at $17, 495. The only thing missing on the Elantra was the GDI engine, a deal breaker for me. Other then that, I can`t fathom why anyone it their right mind would not opt for the Elantra for a mere $1,500 more and get the same 40 MPG fuel economy as the Accent. I`m waiting for the leaves to Fall and along with them, the 2012 Kia Rio5.
    edited June 2011
    For me it will come down to the actual sales price when it's time to buy. If buyers flock to the Elantra, that could mean bigger discounts on the Accent relative to the Elantra. It also depends on how the Accent drives of course. If there's a big difference in ride quality, that would be enough to get me to go to something like the Elantra... or a slightly used car like a Golf, which would be about the same price two years from now as a discounted GS hatch. FE not as good, but superior in all other respects. Of course, the Accent is available as a hatch and the Elantra is not, at least not in the same form as the sedan. But two years from now, the new Elantra hatch will probably be out.

GS stick with mats, MSRP only $15,450. Has everything I'd need except cruise. Which I could probably live without... but I'd rather not.

Then there's the Rio...

I do like the brown color, assuming it's the same as on the Elantra. Very sharp with the tan interior on that car.
  • windgracewindgrace Member Posts: 84
    A little backstory: I'm almost 21 and I'm a college student. I'm looking at buying a car and I have about $15k saved and my mom will pitch in whatever I need.

I've been looking at used car lots at dealerships for about 2 months and the price of used cars is insane right now! I could get an Accord with 100k+ miles for like $15k at a nearby Honda dealership!

So I started looking at cheap entry level cars. I come from a family that's bought Japanese automaker cars for quite some time. Good reliability with Hondas and Subarus...been *really* disappointed with Toyotas.

But the 2012 Accent is really appealing. Great warranty, list of standard features, fuel economy, styling and the price is right. My mom is iffy on buying a Hyundai, but she understands the appeal.

Everything I've read seems to be raving about every new car Hyundai comes out with. I want to know how people (consumers, not just the press behind Edmunds/KBB/Inside Line, etc) feel about Hyundai, the warranty, and the long-term reliability of the car?
    Go ahead and pull the trigger. I`ve owned 2 and both have been great cars. 2006 Hyundai Sonata and 2006 Kia Rio5 Hatchback. Excellent fuel economy and superior quality fit and finish coupled with the best and longest warranty in the industry. Slightly lower resale values then other makes, but thats more then made up for by initial lower purchase price. Personally, I would opt for the upcoming Kia Rio5 Hatchback over the Hyundai Accent but if your looking for a Base model Sedan (without) lots of options, I`m sure you will be more then satisfied with the new 2012 Hyundai Accent.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    I'd also look at the H Elantra Touring. While not a sexy car, it is incredibly functional and will help you transport your stuff back and forth to college. I'm also waiting for the H Sonata Wagon to come our way. Should H Execs decide not to send it here, I'll get a second HET.
    Well, obviously you don`t have a limited time table to make your decision since your all over the Map on this one. The Elantra Touring Hatchback is being replaced in a year or so with a newer more modern edition. No talk about a US Hyundai Sonata Wagon that I`m aware of. If practicality is what your looking for, the new 2012 Hyundai Accent Hatchback with its rear seat folded down will take care of that without any problem. Appears that your just browsing and looking while "kicking tires". With no urgency, you can wait it out for a few years and see what happens.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    edited June 2011
    No for sure. Being rushed into buying a car is the worst mistake people make over and over again. I always know what my next car will be before I need one. Puts me in the driver's seat when negotiating from strength rather than desperation. As for the H ET, the current model is much taller and longer than what is coming down the pike. I can do without modern for the sake of maximum head and leg room for rear passengers, which is something that is lacking in the current Elantra sedan, and will be lacking in the 2012 ET as a result of the sloping rear roof line and loss of total overall length. As for the Accent, that is waaaay too small in interior size to transport 4 adults. And by the way, the Sonata Wagon is reality. It is sold all over the world. Now it is just a matter of it coming to the USA. H executives want it here, and I sure hope they get their way.
    edited June 2011
    First, there (is) a time element involved with making a decision on purchasing a new vehicle either based on "need" or the fact that since new models evolve, (for better or worse) delaying a decision too long may make the vehicle no longer available at all, at least, not New. Secondly, just because Europe has certain model vehicles and engine combinations, or for that matter, any other Foreign market, Most of the time, they do not appear in the same Form here in North America, and usually don`t get brought over here at all.. Hyundai and Kia in particular have lots of vehicles they sell all over the Globe but do not and (will not) market them here for lots of reasons. Safety requirements and pollution controls among them. There is a significant difference even between models and trim between Canadian vs US vehicles and we are both sharing North America, forget about the rest of the World. And finally, your comment about what HMA or Hyundai executives want here they get, well they got it, all right. The (entire) world got a much better equipped 2012 Accent then we got here in the USA, so I guess, thats what they wanted, right? And finally, I hate to burst your (bubble) on being able to negotiate a better deal (without) the sense of desperation, I assure you with over 40 years in the Car Business, there is one "trueism", How do you know you got a Good deal on a New Car Purchase? Simple, If you bought it, you got "F____d". Its just the way it goes, sorry.
    It appears due to all the recent bashing of the stupid Black Painted Exterior Mirrors that first appeared on the 2012 Hyundai Accent Base Model GLS Sedan that HMA,( Hyundai Motors America )has decided to equip their entry level vehicles with painted exterior mirrors that (match) the cars exterior paint color. I noticed a few Black mirrored GLS Sedans and now at another Dealership, all the Base Models have exterior mirrors that are color matched to the vehicle. Now f they have a few drops of paint left over they might finish the mistake by doing the exterior door handles as well.
    I took my car in to get an oil change and they had 2 2012 Accent GLS sedans on the lot, one with the auto and one with the manual. I decided to take a test drive of both and see how much of an improvement Hyundai made. Well folks, let me tell you, the 1.6 GDI and new 6 speed trannys are everything Hyundai described and than some. I was thoroughly impressed with the power. Whereas in my 2010 the car seems to drag with the AC on, particularly with the auto, the new car doesn't seem to be affected by it. The Accent now steps off smartly from a dead stop with only light throttle. The engine feels like its a 1.8 or 2.0. My friend in the back seat, who has driven my car, even commented on how much faster this car felt. I did notice that the torque curve is a lot flatter. On my 2010, you can feel a sudden urgency kick in around 4500 rppms as the CVVT switches over, but I didn't feel that on the GDI. It just had a steady strong surge of torque. The engine is also leaps and bounds quieter than the MC. It's about half as quiet when first turning over the starter and a good bit quieter when accelerating. I thought the MC was pretty quiet for the class but it sounds like a loud buzzy tin can after driving the GDI. The engine is also a lot smoother. The GDI is a gem!!

I was also extremely impressed with Hyundai's homegrown 6 speed automatic. Folks, this tranny is superb! You can't even feel the shifts. You only see the rpms change and the digital display change numbers (very cool how you always know what gear you are in). Shiftronic is now standard so you have way more control over what gear the tranny is in. And if past Hyundais are any guide, the Shiftronic will hold the gear to redline until you manually shift it. I only drove the car up to about 50 mph but the tranny did not try to shift fast all the way up to overdrive like our current 4 speed. There was no discernible power difference between the auto and manual. In fact, the auto felt a little quicker to me. The only thing I didn't like was the gated shifter. It looks a little higher class but the zig zag pattern to change from R to D isn't as quick as a simple straight line shifter.

The manual tranny's shifter was just as good as the one in the Elantra. No more notchiness. Reverse was easy to engage. 6th gear is a little harder to get into but I'm sure it's something you get used to over time. I never drove an MC manual, but this shifter is light years ahead of the LC's shifter. The clutch, on the other hand, was way too soft. You can't really feel the engagement point. Also, when accelerating hard, there is a dead spot when shifting from 1st to 2nd as the engine cuts gas for emissions reasons. It makes the 1-2 shift less than smooth and you loose some acceleration. I think it was for this reason that the automatic felt faster. I also noticed a good bit of squat when accelerating hard. It sort of reminded me of the land yachts of yore.

Two other dynamic differences from the MC. The 4 wheel disc brakes are a huge improvement in brake pedal feel and braking power. The pedal is much firmer and is almost too touchy. I'm used to the mushy pedal feel in my MC. Brakes felt strong and smooth. If this is what the 4 wheel discs felt like on the 06-07 Accents, the rest of us have really been missing out. I really think rear discs are a worthwhile upgrade to later MCs! The electric steering, on the other hand, was the biggest disappointment of the car. It felt very wooden and effort was way too high. It felt like it didn't want to be turned. And there was absolutely no feel coming through the rim. I much prefer the hydraulic steering in my MC!

As for the rest of the car, I noticed a lot of small changes, some good, some not so good. The hood release latch is now integrated into the bottom of the lower dash, which looks cleaner. The hood prop rod is still attached to the hood. The engine appears to be more compact as you can easily put your arm behind the engine now. Alternator has moved up to where the former power steering pump was, nice and easy to replace. The intake is now on the very front of the engine, with the filter located where the battery used to be. I'm not sure if a SRI would fit as well though. The gauges are always lit now, which could lead to people leaving their lights off at night. The trip computer is very cool, giving you miles to empty and avg mpg. There were vanity mirrors but no lights, a step backward from my car. The most puzzling feature lacking was a power door lock button. There simply isn't one, not even on the driver's door. Not sure how you operate the door locks from inside the car. I would miss having this button. The cloth door inserts were a nice addition although it was a very rough feeling fabric. Back seat room was decent, however, the floor ramps upward as it goes under the front seats, which means I can no longer stick my sneakers completely under the seat. This could cause a problem comfort wise for long limbed guys. I loved the pump handle for the height adjustment on the drivers seat, very VW. The seats are shaped different and I'm not sure whether they are as comfortable since I didn't spend much time adjusting them. The stereo operates exactly the same, it's just shaped different. Last but not least, the 175/70R14 tires are way too small and really cheapen the look of the car.

All in all, the new Accent is a homerun and I'm seriously considering upgrading in 6 months or so. Power is definitely strong enough to make the Veloster a very tempting sporty hatch.