Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, Hyundai's cars are a lot better than back in the big discount days also. Today, the Elantra is far superior to today's Civic, IMO, so I'm not surprised it would cost more than the five-year-old Civic design (with sub-compact interior vs. Elantra's mid-sized interior). And I think the Sonata is every bit as good as the Accord, and in many ways better, so why should it not cost as much as an Accord? The market sets prices, and the reason Hyundai's prices have moved up is because the quality of their cars has improved and buyers are willing to pay those prices. If buyers didn't pay, the prices wouldn't stay at those levels.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    edited March 2011
    You can defend the auto industry all you want, but the fact remains, $20K or more for a compact is too much. Stripped compacts should sell for $13-14K, and loaded models $17-18K tops.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Nissan Versa 1.6? I think they show sub $10K.

Had one as a rental in Australia, other than them messing up where the steering wheel goes, it was a pretty...'ok' car.

Gutless though :)
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    but the fact remains, $20K or more for a compact is too much. Stripped compacts should sell for $13-14K, and loaded models $17-18K tops.

Quit trying to pass your personal opinion off as "fact". Who decides that compact cars should be cheapie economy cars only? Is there some kind of law or is that just your law? There are plenty of compacts you can buy for $15-$17k street prices very nicely equipped. For people who want a compact size but with lots of bells and whistles for mid twenties they have those too. You don't have to buy that though so why all the grief about them being offered for those that want that kind of thing. Nobody is forcing you to pay those prices.

Lots of people say, stupidly IMO, that if you're going to pay as much for a compact as you can get a midsize car for then you should automatically buy a midsize. Who says? Maybe people just want to buy a car that parks easily and is easy on gas but they still want a lot of the luxury features. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, cars like that are the big sellers in Europe because of high gas prices and the manufacturers are finally seeing fit to offer us Americans some of that same stuff.

You think cars have risen that much in price? I paid $26k street price(basically invoice) for a loaded 1993 Buick LaSabre Ltd will all bells and whistles in 1992(almost twenty years ago). I can buy a fairly equivalent in power, size and amenities Buick Regal CXL for around the same street price. The new Buick has many more safety features and drives a lot better. I'm actually amazed sometimes that cars haven't risen more in price than they have. Think about salaries from 1992 to 2011. Think they have stayed the same? Even Social Security has problem risen 30% or more in that time span with the COLA increases.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    My kid loves hers and when I drive it once a week for about 90 miles, it moves pretty nicely actually. Hers is the SL hatch with the CVT, which after getting up to speed is just great. Love that I can just move right over into it, unlike my Civic where I drop down into it...having severe spinal issues, I appreciate this.
    The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Some folks would like a compact car with the latest features and are willing to pay for it. I sure as heck would but I'm a bit conservative $ wise. But next year when the wife buys, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a car with bluetooth and some other goodies as she does drive a lot, much more than I do. Should be fun to see what she actually ends up with.
    The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ohiopilotohiopilot Member Posts: 2
  • ohiopilotohiopilot Member Posts: 2
    One thing I know for sure, I never want a Navi system in my vehicle.

Because I am an engineer for a major OEM, I understand the cost of replacing it.

Can this vehicle be purchased with premium audio but without the Navi?
    edited March 2011
    You can get a stripped compact for $13-14k. Right now you can go down to your local Ford dealer and get a new 2011 Focus for around $12-13k. You can get a stripped Forte for about the same price. So they exist.

The reason you can't get a fully-loaded compact for $18k tops anymore is because the definition of what "loaded" means has changed over the past few years. Go back a few years and think about how many compacts offered the following equipment, standard or even optional:

* ESC
    * Heated leather seats
    * Factory navigation
    * Bluetooth
    * 17-18" alloys
    * Power seats
    * 6-speed automatics
    etc.

Despite the equipment inflation over the years, prices really haven't gone up. I bought a "fully loaded" 2004 Elantra GT 7 years ago--all possible options. MSRP was about $17,400. In today's dollars that's $20,400--or almost the price of a 2011 Elantra Limited. Except that 2011 Limited has 17" alloys (vs. 15"), ESC, heated seats, Bluetooth, 6AT (vs. 4AT), XM radio, 10 more horses, much better fuel economy, more interior room, 6 airbags (vs. 4), telescopic wheel with audio controls, etc.

In short, I really don't understand where you are coming from.

You can still get a very nicely equipped new compact for $17-18k. No one is forcing you to buy a "fully loaded" compact. If you want all those toys, be prepared to pay for them.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    You mean the Nav system itself or the whole integration of all the controls through the GUI interface?

If just the Nav goes out...I'd assume you could just 'not use it' and continue using the interface for all the other functionality.

What is the failure rate? I've never seen any of these broken/not working.
  • nothappy2011nothappy2011 Member Posts: 1
    Buyer beware! I just purchased a 2011 Hyundai Limited in California. (less than 1K) I have a nighttime commute (no traffic) of 120 miles round trip and my best mileage so far is 29.7 mpg! I get only 23 around town! I drove within the "green Eco light" parameters, tires properly inflated, Chevron gas only, and just me in car. It seems to run well but this car is supposed to be rated at (29 city / 40 highway). Something is VERY WRONG with this car. I should have paid nthe extra $7k for the Prius V!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    nighttime, no traffic? What speed are you running at, 80+?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Well, before I would become a chicken little I would wait until I went through more than a couple tanks of gas before sounding the alarm. Plus drivie fairly conservatively for awhile which is necesssary to actually achieve the EPA guidelines. If then you still have substandard MPG than document your numbers and driving style and take it to the dealer.

Any car manufacturer can have some cars off the line that need fixing. For you to issue a "buyer beware" warning contending that the new Elantra gets substandard MPG when many people are reporting differently is kind of silly.
    And if the weather is still cold up there at night, that will deduct a few mpg.

I always advocate a test in this kind of situation: drive at a steady speed on the highway for a long stretch (this commute seems ideal for that--at night, little traffic). Drive the speed limit--hopefully that is no more than 70 mph, as FE dives off above ~65 mph. Avoid passing. If you have a heavy foot on pedal, use cruise control. Reset mpg meter when up to speed, and check reading at end of the test. If possible, drive the route in both directions to minimize effects from hills and winds. If weather is moderate (say, over 40 F) and the car doesn't come close to the EPA highway rating (which is based on US gallons, btw, not Imperial gallons), especially after a few thousand miles to break in the engine, and everything else is up to spec including tire air pressures, I would suspect something with the car.

Funny thing is, whenever I suggest this kind of test to someone who complains about mpg, we never hear back as to whether they did it and the results.
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    Well with 4000 miles on the odometer, here's my take on the MPG.

I am averaging about 31-32 mpg in mixed driving. This is real world economy. The trip computer shows 33-34, but is consistently under by 2mpg. This might be due to the winter fuel mix, which is shown to get worse gas mileage, and generally cold weather conditions here in Missouri. As the weather has warmed up, mileage has improved .

MPG is NOT rewarded by the heavy foot. The around-town mileage i have found to be a bit worse than 29mpg (although if you read closely on the window sticker it does say that 29/40mpg is an average range and conditions and drivers will determine ultimate mpg)

Highway mileage is up around 40mpg on straight shots. If your driving is all highway driving, you will be up in the high 30's or low 40's, if its a relatively clear highway and you are running at 60-70 and you arent mixing in a lot of around town driving. Stop and go traffic on a highway will really impact mpg.

I find that using the cruise control REALLY helps mpg. I set it about 63-68 depending on the road conditions and flow of traffic, and i noticed a considerable improvement in MPG, and that might also be because the car is throughly broken in now. The sweet spot for the Elantra seems to be 60-65mph in terms of fuel economy

I think once the summer fuel mix comes in, I will be regularly getting 33-34 in mixed driving, which is right where Hyundai says it should be. But for now, im doing about 7-8mpg better than my old Volkswagon Passat, which equates to about 45 bucks less a month. Now that I am happy about.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    This might be due to the winter fuel mix, which is shown to get worse gas mileage,

I wonder if EPA testing is done using pure gasoline, or gasohol? There are a few stations here in town advertising 100% gasoline, and friends are saying they notice a definite boost in MPG. I'm going to try some in my Toyota guzzler if I can ever think of it.
    edited March 2011
    Since the manufacturers actually do most of the testing of their vehicles for the EPA(EPA audits and spot checks I believe) and since they are all trying to market the best MPG as possible, I think you can rest assured that they are using the pure stuff.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    I just bought an 2011 Elantra Limited w/prem. package (i.e. nav, push button start, etc)....and I have a question regarding the bluetooth........I have already set up my phone and paired it with the system.....but it seems as if I have to go through the manual process of connecting it everytime I start my car (i.e. push the phone button on the nav, then push the settings button, then push the connect button, then answer yes, then it will conncect to my phone).......once connected it will work fine......but in my SUV all I have to do is start it up and the bluetooth connects to my phone automatically.........I don't have to do anything........can anyone provide input as to whether or not the Elantra should be like this? Or should the Elantra be connecting to my phone automatically every time I start the car?

Any help would be much appreciated........thanks!
  • rich27514rich27514 Member Posts: 41
    I have the Limited, no NAV. My phone connects as soon as I start the car. My sales guy set it up for me.
  • bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2011
    The bluetooth hookup is inconsistent. Usually connects automatically but at times needs to be done manually. Sometimes does not connect at all.

I have the Limited with navigation.
  • rich27514rich27514 Member Posts: 41
    Must be the NAV that makes the difference. Mine hooks up perfectly every time.
  • lcw1lcw1 Member Posts: 36
    Your logic based on your statement does not make sense: "A few posts ago I gave you an example of how today's 2011 Elantra actually costs LESS than the same model from 2001". Between 1999 and 2000 Ford, Chevy, and Toyota's share prices were 10 times more than what they are now. So if you value a company based on it's assets and stock prices a 2011 Elantra price should be a lot cheaper that a 2000 Elantra. You can also add the fact that companies are a lot more automated and productive these days. Granted there is cost in research and development but that hardly justifies what they charge for cars these days. You can make the argument that Chevy and Ford have to charge more because of debts and overhead from the past , but a company like Hyundai and Kia should not be in the same boat.
    Just to jump in...

I'm not certain how share price comes into the picture when you're comparing the historical costs of automobiles and the 'value' of them.

You could argue that there is no added value in power mirrors and remove that item from your calculations...but I still think even when you remove all the 'junk' the newer cars are cheaper.

...Back in my day you could buy a loaf of bread for a nickel :)
  • lcw1lcw1 Member Posts: 36
    Ivan_99: Thanks for replying. The share price analogy is precisely why historical prices do not apply for cars. Today a loaf of bread costs 10 times what it costs 20 years ago. At the same time a computer costs 100 times less today than it did 20 years ago. Technology makes products cheaper not more expensive.
    heh...i think i was saying the same thing.

Avg price of bread in 1991 = 1.25
    Avg price of bread in 2011 = 1.62 (avg)

Inflation of 1.25 (in 1991) in todays $'s = $2.03

Looks like bread is cheaper not 10 times as much...

anyway...I agree with the earlier post; the Elantra is much cheaper today; and would be much cheaper without any options (power windows, mirrors, etc...).

Not cheaper like pc's are cheaper but maybe similar to bread ;)
    A car is not a computer. A car has a much higher parts cost than a typical computer. Anyway, please show me where I can buy a new high-end desktop computer for $40-50.

Similarly, if you compare an Elantra of ten years ago to one today, you see a lot of technology, and features, and expensive parts, that were not there 10 years ago. And in those ten years, prices of the car's raw materials have shot up, e.g. all the high-strength steel used in the 2011 Elantra costs more than the regular steel used in 2001.

Shipping costs have increased. Labor costs have increased--not just for factory workers, but all the other jobs associated with designing, shipping, and marketing a car. Oil prices are up, which affects raw materials (plastics) but also costs for running factories and transport.

If technology makes prices cheaper, why aren't new houses cheaper, like for like, than they were ten years ago? If there was any drop in price, it's because of the recession, not technology. Sales prices for cars dipped during the recession too. Now they're on their way back up, especially for cars in demand--like the 2011 Elantra.
    if you are interested in what they think, consumers reports just tested the Elantra (along with the Jetta and the Cruz), and the elantra is now their highest rated small car.

the Jetta was panned, and rated at the bottom. the cruz, not much better.

Car and Driver also has a comparison test in their latest issue. the Elantra finished 3rd of 5, ahead of the cruz and jetta, behind the mazda 3 and focus. But, C&D always does go for sporty over everything else!

CR did not test the new Focus (obviously doesn't mean it would win).

But some of their test scores are pretty close.
    Mazda 3 --- 77
    Elantra ---- 80

Cruze and Jetta in the 60's...
    just looked, and the latest rankings were Elantra 80, sentra 74 (!), Mazda 70. So pretty big spread.

Jetta was 60 even. Not good.

and C&D absolutely ripped it to shreds too.

I'm not surprised to see the Elantra at the top of the cars CR has tested. It will be interesting to see where they rank the Focus; they rated the old Focus highly in the past. Also, they don't score based on price, so the fact the Focus is pricey for a compact will have no impact on their scoring.

I am very surprised the Cruze did so poorly in CR's testing. The only big things I don't like about it, other than the price, are rear-seat leg room and lack of features/options on the LS e.g. cruise.
    Just saw Hyundai's March sales. Elantra had what might be its biggest sales month in NA in history, nearly 20,000 units--compared to just over 8,000 units a year ago. No wonder we're seeing resistance by some dealers to deal on the 2011 Elantra. It's a very hot car right now.
    Is that a magazine or the online (I would assume they are the same)?

I'm looking at the mazda 3 now and it shows a "CR overall score" of 77.

Maybe the number you have is the comparison score and not the overall.

The VW Golf overall has a 85 and is also check-marked as "Recommended".

Any way...the new Elantra is very intriguing.
    the latest issue (just came yesterday). They don't always show every car in the ratings box, just the ones they consider comparable, or newly rated. the mazda 3i they list scored a 70. the Jetta, 60 even.

ahh...I see now.

bit of a tangent...but was bugging me :)

The Mazda 3i Touring (AT) is 70
    The Mazda 3i Touring (MT) is 74
    The Mazda 3s sport hatch is 77
    Mazdaspeed3 is 83

fwiw
    that's how CR does it. they were comparing AT small sedans, so that is what they listed in the chart.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Interesting that the Elantra was only 29 mpg in the CR article. The current Corolla gets 32 on the same test despite much lower epa numbers. Seems like the new numbers might be a little optimistic.

The Cruze was down right bad in mpg - about the same as the Sonata or the Altima. Terrible for a car with such a cramped back seat.
    just happens to be what they got on their particular test. YMMV!

the cruze is a porker, so that is going to hurt it around town.

Since you have the article... what did the Elantra get on the highway in CR's testing?
    They reported 39 mpg highway in the article.
    Not too bad... on a new engine... in winter... in New York. Probably would be a bit better once the engine is broken in and in milder weather. I see at least a 10% dropoff in winter on FE.
  • califasramsfancalifasramsfan Member Posts: 31
    Why are dealer's listings showing "Alabama Plant"? Does this mean where it was manufactured or that this vehicle has not been delivered to the dealership?
  • bigdogbitubigdogbitu Member Posts: 39
    Manufacture location.

VIN's beginning with the number "5" were built in Alabama. VIN's from those made in Korea start with the letter, "K".
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Just to get an idea of hard C&D pushes vehicles in their "road tests", take a look at the average mileage from the May 2011 comparo of 5 of the new models in the class:

VW Jetta 2.5 SEL: 20mpg
    Hyundai Elantra Ltd: 20mpg
    Ford Focus SEL: 21mpg
    Chevy Cruze 2LT: 18mpg
    Mazda3s Sport: 18mpg
  • keyman2keyman2 Member Posts: 78
    edited April 2011
    I've wanted to buy a new Sonata for about a year now but my girlfrind has been very sick,and now it looks like I can't spend the money I will need to buy the SE Sonata turbo or the 2.4? I looked at the new Elantra and it looks great,like a small Sonata without the engine power.Is this a good car and is it peppy with the 148 HP?I may purchase the Elantra Limited instead of the Sonata but I love power.Any suggestions? does it have pulling to left problems.I heard it does not have a spare?how's the trunk?
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    In order to reserve 'peppy' as being part of your ownership experience, I think you will find this the easiest by sticking to the manual transmission. And in typical misdirected manufacturing presumption, Hyundai, like so many others lately, don't offer the stick with the more upscale optioned vehicles.

Like, does anyone know a single person out there that would like to have a few niceties such as heated leather seats and higher-end audio with their manual transmission equipped new car? Total sarcasm, of course.

Sam
    For your reading enjoyment...

MSNBC Review
    Would have been nice if the writer actually reviewed the car.
  • ondamanondaman Member Posts: 21
    Same here, 1500 mi so far in San Jose, CA area. Work & home about 10 miles roundtrip. 5 mi HW, other 5 mi city. Averaging 22 mpg!
    Here's a link to some spy shots that purport to be of the upcoming Coupe. Not very good on details but at least we may have an idea about the Coupe roofline.

Elantra Coupe?