Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2003 Honda CR-V

sd73sd73 Member Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in Honda
how would I know if my alternator is gone/dead? Car will not turn over.. it tries, I get a little noise when I turn the key, but something wont catch. I have tried jumping the car with a portable battery and then using my other car/cables, no luck. There is juice going the car's dash and radio though - so I think it's more serious than simply a dead battery. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    Did you wait a few minutes before starting the V with the dead battery?
    Try calling your local body shop or garage to have the dead battery re-charged. Of course, you need to take the battery out. Honda's battery usually last for 6-7 years and it will go dead, may be you just need a new one.
    Remove the battery and bring it to a dealer for a credit of the new battery.
    After the new battery is in, reset the radio and auto window.
  • Options
    sd73sd73 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    Thank you very much for the response. The battery in there now is only 3 months old - combine that with the lack of success in jump starting it leads me to believe it's not the battery, you think I should still try and get it charged? I have a portable battery with cables on it... I can try leaving that attached for a while before trying it..?
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Thank you very much for the response. The battery in there now is only 3 months old - combine that with the lack of success in jump starting it leads me to believe it's not the battery, you think I should still try and get it charged? I have a portable battery with cables on it... I can try leaving that attached for a while before trying it..?

Check the voltage. Is it 12-13V? What is the voltage when you crank?

It could be as simple as blown starter fuse, or relay...

If everything else works (headlights, radio, power windows...) when the key is in the "ON" position, chances are that the battery is good.
This discussion has been closed.