Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    The profits that the 75% domestic companies make from parts stays in the US. Toyota makes money off the finished automobile.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537
    I believe that these both get you the 1.4l turbo engine, and the AT, standard. the rest of the differences seem to fall into the "goodies" catagory, not mechanical.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    I'm still waiting for my brochure as well. You can get most of the info on Chevy's website though:

Chevy Cruze Website

Go to features and specs and you'll see the various trim levels. My summary: 1LT includes everything I need except cruise control which comes in an option package that's about $500. 2LT is loaded with everything except Nav standard.
    Yes, I agree completely. The minimal profit that suppliers make goes where ever they're located. The vehicle profit, which is significant and often more than what all the suppliers combined will make, goes to the parent company.

Even if the Cruze only has 50% domestic content, being built in Ohio by General Motors makes it a safe bet that 75% of the money stays in the U.S.

A 75% "domestic" Toyota on the other hand? More than half that money ends up back in Japan.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Here is Edmunds take on the Cobalt XFE -
    As far as fit and finish goes, the Cobalt has none of it. We're sorry to say that from the first day we had the car, its hubcaps buzzed and rattled with every road reflector and driveway entrance. Body panel gaps are large enough to actually see the scissor hinges when the trunk is closed. The metallic paint showed several spots of orange peel plus uneven application. And there's that wrinkly pinch weld running the length of both running boards that we haven't seen since, well, window cranks went away.

This car really is a throwback to a bygone era. How did we ever survive the 1970s? We must've had so much more time and patience.
    -end 2009 Cobalt XFE

Uneven panel fit and gaps on the body, uneven fit in the interior, and even the GM badges on the fender at two different heights are some of the items I have experience with.

Standard with the car. I must of looked at 40 before purchasing the one in my driveway and they all had fit and finish problems.

Inexpensive, a good value and so far no major problems to complain about. Fender had to be realigned when it was new, a recall was performed on the transmission and front rotors had to be resurfaced right after it was purchased. Rotors were likely due to car sitting so long before purchase, I don't blame GM for that.
    Recall was minor and performed during oil change.
    I don't drive this car daily though I have experience driving it. It is reliable but it is crude in some ways. Favorite feature is the Pioneer stereo.

I have plenty of experience with GM products. Have disassembled and built a couple of vehicles built at Lordstown. 350 with solid lifter cam and M21 tranny installed in an orange '74 Vega Wagon got me into way too much trouble when I was younger.

Would I buy a Cruze? No. I'm waiting for the 4.5L Duramax to show up in a 1/2 ton.
    Do I think that GM has impressively improved the Cruze compared to Cobalt, yes.
    Cruze needs time to prove itself one way or another in the marketplace.

GM earned it's small car reputation, Cruze is GM's opportunity to change perceptions.

You may think I'm talking out of turn, I think you have a chip on your shoulder.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,094
    Wow, I'm going to turn 40K on my XFE any day without having the rotors turned. But then I bought my car when it was only in dealer inventory eight days.

What trans recall? I do think mine is stiff to go into first at times.

But I stand by my statements about road noise compared to Japanese competition. I think most people would find that hard to believe...unless they experienced it themselves.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    I think you have a chip on your shoulder.

You say that every single car built at Lordstown since 1971 is a P.O.S., and I have a chip on my shoulder? :)

I think there's a lot of people who have bought more than one new Lordstown-built vehicle and not been maimed or driven insane by doing so!

I've had three myself. (I'm waiting for the retorts now!)
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    I guess another point I had is, anybody can complain (I do more than my fair share of it myself), but after owning one, do you think you could have done better with another car, at that price? And especially for me, anyway...one that was assembled in the U.S.?
  • overbrookoverbrook Member Posts: 275
    they dont mail out full brochures anymore. You can typically download them online though.
    First of all the Cobalt was rated average by CR in reliability and I've never heard anything about major reliability issues with the car.

Secondly, I can call BS on many of your claims since I've actually driven the car. The interior had tons of hard plastics and there were some areas where the panels had less than ideal fits. The build quality wasn't poor, but the design of some of the components left certain areas with a subpar finished product. Exterior fit and finish has been fine on the car I drove and others I've seen. GM hasnt really had exterior panel fit issues in many years. The Cobalt is quiet, powerful and has a compliant ride. As someone noted it has struts for the decklid which is uncommon in this class. It also has a hood strut which many pricier Fords dont even have. The Cobalt also had stuff like a TPS, trip computer, remote start, Onstar, oil life monitor, etc. which are all but unheard of in the competition. Edmunds is known to be pro import and I would take their cobalt bashing with a grain of salt. My only real complaints about the Cobalt (aside from dull styling) related to the uncomfortable backseat and some of the hard interior plastics. The car drove just fine and was very refined.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150
    edited October 2010
    > Cobalt (aside from dull styling) related to the uncomfortable backseat and some of the hard interior plastics.

Actually the plastics are durable and will survive, unlike some other small cars I observe parking next to them with cracking interior plastics deteriorated from the sun's effect.

The drive is very comfortable; it's like a much heavier car most of the time. But it follows the road as soon a it starts to get wavy.

The cost for maintenance is great because I can actually do the oil and filter changes myself.

The economy is more than adequate since it's an automatic transmission.

Visibility from the driver position for parking is superb.

######

As for the people spending their time trying to criticize the new Cruze based on their dislike of some mythical GM scheme to defraud them with a poor product in the past, go get a life and take off those tinfoil hats. Art Bell's show is on nightly to get your fix of the past paranoia.

I've seen two, a midline and a topline model at the local dealer.

I suggest ignoring the off topic distractions and keep the topic on the new Cruze which looks great.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

From everything I've been reading on here the last couple of days I think I'll look for a used Cobalt. How could the Cruze possibly improve on that?
    I wouldn't think twice at all about buying another new Cobalt if I was looking for an econo car now. You might be surprised.

Saying that the Cruze "replaces" the Cobalt isn't entirely accurate. The Cruze is built at the same place, hence the Cobalt goes away, but if you look at a Cruze you'll see it's larger, more plush, and more expensive. When GM starts building the new Aveo or whatever it ends up being called, in Michigan, I think that will fall more in place in the lineup with where the Cobalt used to be.
    I wouldn't think twice at all about buying another new Cobalt

That's very obvious.

The Cruze does replace the Cobalt. Most compact cars are getting larger, more plush and more expensive. I'm pretty sure the industry and customers will cross shop the other compacts against the Cruze. The Aveo will compete against other subcompacts. You can't create a new category just by adding a couple of inches.

I'm interested in the Cruze but to say that the Cobalt was/is a great car is just not facing reality. Basing statements on "personal experience" is a statistical 0. I've rented Cobalts a couple of times on business and wasn't impressed but they were OK but I really didn't care for the interiors much. Average reliablity by CR is decent but doesn't make it a great car. Was it ever actually recommended by CR or a "best buy" or anything like that? Just about every auto mag panned the Cobalt(except the SS) over the years, not just Edmunds.

I've owned many, many GM cars over the years. My first was a 1960 Biscayne and my last was a 1993 LeSabre Limited. Had great luck with some and terrible experiences with a couple but probably average overall when compared to the rest of the industry. I absolutely loved the LeSabre and kept it for 13 years before giving it to Kars for Kids. But when I looked at my folder of repair bills I was amazed at how many times I was in for recalls, warranty work and fairly major repairs over the years. Literally, several thousand dollars. Just goes to show you how you can overlook those things if you really like the vehicle.

What I think the Cruze has going for it is decent economy, decent room and upscale textures/features rolled into one package. If the quality is there it could be a very nice compact car with room for adults. I just wish they would offer Homelink as I can't stand having garage door openers hanging from my visor.
    edited October 2010
    I don't believe I ever said the Cobalt was a 'great car', but I would call it a 'great value' and as a guy looking at college for two girls in the next couple years, that matters to me. I also like buying American and the Cobalt was built in my area. I stand by the statements about it being quiet on the highway compared to other, more revered small cars (although getting folks to believe this is probably nigh impossible). I do like the surprising small touches, even in an XFE. I saw on one Edmunds forum not all that long ago, a Benz owner talking up his outside temperature reading in the car and MPG calculator. Hell, even my Cobalt has those standard. Like someone else posted, having a hood that holds itself up without a prop, and a trunk lid without those stupid gooseneck hinges, is a show of some quality but is lost on most people.
    >Basing statements on "personal experience" is a statistical 0

That would include people's experience renting the base models, wouldn't it?

So, how does the Cruze look?

I wasn't making a statement of fact....just a personal opinion.
    "I'm interested in the Cruze but to say that the Cobalt was/is a great car is just not facing reality. Basing statements on "personal experience" is a statistical 0."

• scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    I just priced a Cruze on Chevy's website, and comparably equipped, the Sonata is less than $1000 more than a Cruze.

Chevy is going to get killed on this car. The Sonata is twice as big, gets 35mpg and has a much better warranty.
    Ok, I should have cited the majority of professional auto reviewers, CR, JD Powers, etc. in mentioning that it wasn't a great car but I just wasn't trying to get that anal. If you insist we go there it would get boring and not pertinent to this discussion.

He was specifically refering to his personal experience with a car in supporting an argument....not just relating an experience. Besides he corrected me in that he said it was a great value(at the right price off MSRP) rather than a great car. With that I would tend to agree with him.
    If you want a car as large as a Sonata. Many people don't but do want the interior room and upscale amenities that the Cruze offers. There are many compacts that if you deck them out they will be close to some of the midsizers at their entry points. However, deck out the midsizer in the same manner and usually you'll be several thousand higher. The Sonata Limited is around 27k.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Personal opinion is not based on fact...only based on that particular persons feelings...nothing more/nothing less. So many get this point confused it amazes me. Don't care what magazine writers or websites say, I go by how "I" feel and nothing else!

Don't want no turbo here, just an auto slushbox with some upscale features...so what model should I be looking at?

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

"Don't care what magazine writers or websites say, I go by how "I" feel and nothing else!"

Why are you asking for other's advice then?
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited October 2010
    Only asking advise on the exact model we should be looking at...auto, power stuff, 2.0 engine(?)...that's what I'm interested in. No need for you to chime in unless you can answer my particular question...the last question which you seemed to ignore! A simple model is all I'm looking for...o k? Jeez louise!

T I A to anyone who can answer my simple question!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited October 2010

Gee, it seemed that it was perfectly alright for you to chime in about "personal opinions" but it isn't alright to respond to a post by you. Kind of onesided isn't it? You should know that anything posted on these forums is fair game. If you want to tell people what to do, become a host!

Anyway, The two engines for the Cruze are a normally aspirated 1.8L I4 and a turbo 1.4L I4.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I do not wish to cloud the issue but to further illuminate it.

Actually, opinions are based on facts but the facts are insufficient to produce complete certainty. This critical distinction is what differentiates the meaning of the word "opinion" from the meaning of the word "fact."

It naturally follows, therefore, that the more facts the opinion is based on, the more valid it is.
    A base GLS Sonata has a 35 mpg/198 horsepower Direct Injection 2.4L, power windows/locks/heated mirrors, keyless remote, bluetooth, iPod connectivity, five star crash rating, six airbags, 4 wheel disk brakes with ABS, traction control, stability control, 6-speed auto or 6-speed manual, 5 year/60,000 mile bumper to bumper and 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain. You can get one for $19K with all dealer fees and destination included. Made in the USA, with more USA content than a Cruze.

Subjectively, it has beautiful styling and is much larger and more comfortable than a Cruze.

Why would I buy a Cruze over a Sonata? Seriously, what would sway me?
    edited October 2010
    Can't disagree with you on the Sonata but some people just don't want a midsize car....they want a compact car like the Cruze. Is that so hard to accept? If you want to bring up a car to compete with the Cruze why don't you stay in the compact class....like Civic or Coralla or Elantra? Is it because you're looking to buy a 2011 Sonata as evidenced by your posts over on the 2011 Sonata thread and possibly a little biased?

From what I've seen and read, and this is only an opinion based on those things, the Cruze is very upscale, handles well, is very quiet and well put together....possibly nicer inside than the Sonata but I would really like to experience it for myself so I can comment more intelligently.

Let's stick to MSRPs when discussing because "street prices" like you mention are all over the board and you certainly can't compare a street price for a Sonata that has been out for 9 months to the MSRP of the Cruze which is just now hitting dealerships. The Cruze will eventually sell at a pretty good discount as well I'm sure.
    edited October 2010
    I'm not thrilled with the Cruze's North American content, but it is made by an American company. Chevy's primary headquarters and chief staff aren't in South Korea like Hyundai's. I'm told the North American content will increase when Chevy starts building the 1.4L Turbo engine in Michigan.

Personally, I like the Cruze because I like my local Chevy dealer's Service Dept. personnel and have for some time; the styling is conservative (to me, the latest Sonata looks 'boy racer', like a kid in 9th grade sketched it), and it's built 40 miles from me so I am positively affecting people in my area by buying it. It's too early to tell about the Cruze, but posts on Edmunds and elsewhere have shown some early quality glitches with the Sonata, too.
    OK:

Cruze 1LT with a spare tire and the "Connectivity plus Cruise" package: $19,520

Sonata GLS Automatic: $20,915

Since I want a manual the Sonata is $19,915. I can't even get a Cruze with a MT unless I get a stripper. Thanks, GM. I wonder if they ever bothered to add up all the sales they lose by attempting to force people to take automatics. In CO where I live, Subarus, VW's, BMWs, Audis, Hondas and yes, Hyundais with manual transmissions abound. There are very few GM cars at all, and the lack of MT availability is one reason. That and the fact that GM killed almost all of their dealers here, and the ones left are total morons. If it wasn't for pickups/SUVs, their market share for new vehicles here would be somewhere around that of Kia. I'm not kidding. They just don't get it.
    the only NA engine is the 1.8l in the LS model, so you can pass on many of the better features (the luxo goodies like a moonroof, leather, power seats, etc.).

stopped at a Chevy dealer today while out running errands. THey had 2 out front (a 2LT and an LTZ). Also had an LS that they sold.

overall, a very nice package. Looks good, huge trunk, and plenty roomy. I am 6' and had good leg, toe and head room in the abck seat.

Seemed pretty upscale in design and features. Seemed to be comfortable (driver's seat), but until I get it all adjusted and actually drive the car, hard to tell. But, the seat cushion seemed to be long enough (close to my Accord) for thigh support.

one bizarre feature (a Ford trick) was a 1/2 power seat. the bottom was power, but the recline was manual, and the lever was in an awkward position. Probably not a big deal, since I rarely change that setting anyway, but still nice to have.

a big plus was the gas tank size (15.6gal). Combined with the MPG ratings, should have a nice long cruising range. Really bugs me on some smaller cars where they have like a 12 gal tank, and aren't getting the kind of MPG to make it useful.

sticker on the 2LT I sat in was 22.8K, the LTZ was 24K. Not cheap, and gonna face a ton of competition. And forget the sonota, the elantra is about to come out as a redesign. Same size, and probably cheaper.

And forget the sonota, the elantra is about to come out as a redesign. Same size, and probably cheaper.

You are right. I think the new Elantra that looks similar, but even better IMO, to the '11 Sonata is going to be huge competition for the Cruze. With the new 6 speed tranny it will be interesting to see what kind of numbers the Elantra will bring mpg wise. I think they are shooting for 40hwy.

Then next spring the new Focus arrives. Civic and Corolla are starting to seem pretty long in the tooth and the clock is ticking for them unless they really do a turnaround. Chevy, Ford and Hyundai are really going to make inroads with these new compacts!
  • tbone_raretbone_rare Member Posts: 96
    I work at a small Chevy dealer in a small town in Illinois. We just got our first Cruze today. That sucker is gorgeous!!! You can't get many GM vehicles without the automatic transmission. We rarely stock one. As I see it, here's the reason.... very few people today even know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle. We order cars that anyone can drive. Why should we limit our potential buyers?? Of course, our terrain is much different than yours in Colorado. We are flatland. This car is not intended to compete against the Sonata. If you want one....go buy one!
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    You are so correct!

I sat in a new Cruze in a car show and it was in my opinion the best compact car I had ever seen. The early reports of how it drives are very impressive. It is quiet, refined, has an extremely high fit and finish and an extremely low N/V/H quotient. As you point out, it was not designed to compete with the Sonata which, although admirable in many ways, is far less refined and quiet on the road and with a harsher and less compliant ride than the Cruze.

As for automatic transmissions, it always amuses me when their devotees get up on their high horses about how they wouldn't touch a car without one. I drove sticks for sixteen years straight and in fact learned to drive on one. That was in the country with open roads and no stop lights. In heavy city traffic, where I live now, a stick is a royal pain in the rear with constant shifting, poorer gas mileage and tedium.

The new multi-gear auto transmissions are getting better every year (my remarks do not apply to the odious CVT which has been resurrected for the marginally higher fuel economy it is supposed to impart at the cost of driving fun and higher noise levels - in my opinion not worth it for the minuscule and questionable increase in fuel economy) and as the boomer generation matures and constitutes an ever higher percentage of the automotive buying public, the demand for manuals will decrease even beyond the very low levels it is at now. With the exception of a few muscle and specialty cars, there will be not nearly enough of a demand for them to make carrying them prudent or making them a wise economic move by most any car manufacturer.

There is one more reason the Cruze is a great car. The profits from the sale of every one remain in America and do not go to South Korea or any other foreign country. People who buy cars from import manufacturers love to brag that these bring "jobs" to America because they are made there. This is a spurious argument on the whole. The overall economic impact of these arrangements is negative, however, because the amount of money lost in shifting profits overseas greatly exceeds the contribution to the American economy of having a few manufacturing plants domestically. If profits were maximized to Hyundai and others by making their cars in their own countries, they would do just that. As they are not, the cars are made in America.

At a time when profits and profitability of every commercial concern from auto manufacturers to pretzel makers is critical to placing the economy of the United States back on a strong footing, it would behoove automobile consumers to consider the effect their purchase has on their own country. If jobs continue to be lost in America the ability of more and more folks to afford a car from anywhere will be reduced. Charity does indeed begin at home.

I wish you every success in your representation and sale of the new Cruze. I know it will do very well for you and for GM and, quite frankly, for America.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    edited October 2010
    "People who buy cars from import manufacturers love to brag that these bring "jobs" to America because they are made there. This is a spurious argument on the whole. The overall economic impact of these arrangements is negative, however, because the amount of money lost in shifting profits overseas greatly exceeds the contribution to the American economy of having a few manufacturing plants domestically."

Please site verification of the above statement, and not just someone's opinions .

In addition, is the Honda Accord, Toyota Tundra, Camry, American or imports? They are manufactured here, as is many Hyundai products, as is the Sonata.

I could care less where a car is manufactured. I want what is best for me. GM made very stupid decisions in the past. Is it my duty to prop up a company because they have made bad decisions? That is a a bad argument.
    The majority of the Cruze comes from somewhere else. The majority of the Sonata comes from the US. The profit from the sale of GM products currently goes to paying off loans made by taxpayers to GM. Where did the money for the loans come from? From the sale of treasury bonds to China and Saudi Arabia. We are essentially paying off the Chinese and Saudis for saving GM.

I don't think you want to be bringing up the US content argument when the car you are arguing for is less than 50% US-made, and the car you are arguing against is made in Alabama. Is a Chrysler a US vehicle? How about a Chrysler made in Mexico? My Chevy truck made in Canada? An Aveo made in Korea?
    edited October 2010
    As in everything, there are 'degrees' of truth/reality. I wish the Cruze had more domestic content (although am told it will when the Michigan engine plant starts building the 1.4L turbo). However, I think it cannot be denied that, like it or not, GM (heck, the "Big Three") employs far more Americans, and also at suppliers, than any 'transplant' company.

Buy what you like--that's your business--but why not compare the "hometown job" to the one made by a company that started, and continues to be headquartered, in South Korea? Not to mention, there have been some teething issues with the Sonata...look at the forums here.

I'm itching to drive a Cruze. I stopped at a dealer about 15 miles from here and he had three LT's...the 1LT I thought was an LS--it had the plastic wheel covers...but the other 1LT had aluminum wheels as did the 2LT. I'm kind of liking the 1LT with aluminum wheels, for equipment/price ratio. I also prefer cloth seating which the 1LT has but the 2LT doesn't.
    edited October 2010
    >I don't think you want to be bringing up the US content argument

That discussion is over here at "Buying American Cars What Does It mean?"

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.efe81db/10390

>sale of GM products currently goes to paying off loans made by taxpayers to GM. Where did the money for the loans come from?

Since the Cruze is made by GM this can be interpreted as relevant to the topic.

Would you rather have had a major portion of the industry shut down as GM shut down unaided? That would have cut off suppliers for many brands of automobiles and many companies? With all the losses of manufacturing jobs, wishing for the whole economy to have gone into a real, not ficiticious, depression, costing people jobs, lives, and possibly worse is just plain cruel. Many people show little concern about portions of the USA which has suffered greatly with losses of manufacturing jobs related to automobile manufacturing the way it is. Those of us in Ohio, Michigan and other states have born terrible pain because of the loss of jobs. To have wished worse on the whole country and specifically on certain parts of the country is unthinkable.

So is your tenet is that GM should still be closed down and dissolved because they have a small amount of money compared to that wasted by the current government and therefore there should be no Cruze, which most would describe as even better than the cars offered by other manufacturers and by GM during the 90s and 2000s? Feel free to continue this in the proper topic Buying American....

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.efe81db/10390

I have already made my point that the Cruze is a step up from the Cobalt and the Cobalt is much more than some noisier folks wanted everyone to believe.

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I've had my '06 Mazda3 s 5-door five years next month, which is two years longer than I've ever kept a car in 20 years of driving. I love it and have every intention of driving it several more years....BUT the upcoming Ford Focus looks SMOKIN' HOT!!! I knew that I'd love the 5-door from early prototype photos and I gravitate toward sport hatches also! But the 4-door Sedan is just as sharp...dare I say, it's almost SEXY!

The Focus 4-door would totally dominate in this class next year if the 2012 Elantra wasn't so damn good looking, too! Once these models are on the market, I can't fathom Toyota selling any Corollas to retail customers....maybe they should make them a fleet-only model like the Malibu Classic was for a few years? =) God only knows what the Civic will end up looking like??? What if it shows up looking like a mini Acura-TL....that would be hilarious!

None of these cars are serious enough driver's cars to hurt Mazda3 sales too much. Although the 3 i (entry, 2.0L models) may lose some sales to Focus and Elantra especially. Maybe Mazda will touch up the MZ3 to keep it fresh against these newcomers...and by touch up, I mean get rid of that stupid grin on the front!!!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    I know where the Cruze is assembled, and know its NA parts content. I know where the Sonata is assembled, but I've never seen anyone post its NA content as per the window sticker. Does anybody really know what it is?
    I looked online, and the 2011 Sonata has 41% NA parts content...even less than current Cruzes.
    I looked online, and the 2011 Sonata has 41% NA parts content...even less than current Cruzes.

Yes and 100% of the vehicle profit goes back to Asia. Hyundai/Kia have made great strides but unless you get a Genisis or Equus, they drive like tin cans on wheels.

Chevrolet built the Cruze to be a smooth and quiet "premium" small car and succeeded. The Sonota and Elantra are still too rough in NVH for me.
    I'd venture to guess other Hyundais have FAR less domestic content than the Sonata. CAmry and Accord are the domestically produced imports that have very high content. The majority of the models built here by foreign automakers have very low domestic content- they simply do final assembly here with lots of imported parts.
  • tbone_raretbone_rare Member Posts: 96
    I thought this was a Cruze forum. Your post mentions almost every other compact other than the Cruze. Is it better suited for another forum??? Just curious.
    Read the Ward's Auto Review at the link. "The Cruze is the most appealing car in it's class."

Ward's Auto World review
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    does anybody really know what time it is??does anyone even care about time??
    has anyone actually done any serious driving to a car with the 1.4l engine? I only recall 1 test drive report, that that was on an LS.

Should ahve taken the test drive yesterday when I was test sitting, but I know that I am not in th emarket anytime soon, so I didn't want to waste the guys time (plus have to give my personal info!). I happeneded to be the only customer in the store I think, and the salesfolks were just standing out front watching the world go by. Never even stepped into the store until the salesguy went to get a card and brochure. Never even gave more than my first name. Very low key.

This place also had 2 GS vettes on the showroom floor. All black coupe, and yellow convertible. Both manuals, bless their hearts.

and at least 15-20 Camaros all lined up out front.

Very funny! Thanks for the moment of irreverence!