Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, sounds like the SkyActiv automatic transmission is so heavily optimized for fuel economy it refuses to gear-down for a little spirited performance. Remember when I said, "all else being equal"; apparently the transmissions are far from that. :)
  • gparagpara Member Posts: 23
    Hi group I was working on my 2011 cruze eco and was checking the calibration marks on the gauge, it starts to move at 120 and each mark after appears to be 10 degrees to 1/2 scale which was 198 but I noticed that the temp kept getting hotter, using scan tool to check temp, gauge stopped at 1/2 and never moved about, I let temp get to 235 before cooling fan came on and gauge still showed 1/2 or 198. I unhooked temp sensor and it showed -40 and shorted which showed 289 degrees F which all seemed normal. What good is the gauge if won't tell you that the engine is getting hot?????
    Any else notice this, I have 7k miles and never has it gone above 1/2 or will it drop down when running cooler as thermostat opens ect.
    This seems to be a software problem, since the gauge is run from the serial data from the engine computer????
    Any comments???
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    edited December 2011
    gpara, as far as i understand, typical vehicle coolant gauges are programmed to behave exactly as you describe. they are not meant to read as linear gauges. the reason is to reduce the number of customers thinking something is wrong when coolant temp is within normal range, and costing service/warranty $ when there is no problem. in other words, knowing the real coolant temp can be considered "too much information" for the average driver.
    to see the real coolant temp, possibly you will have to start the car in a way that enables the dashboard's diagnostic mode, and then find the coolant-temp screen via some menu. not sure if there is a way to do that on cruze but if I find out, I will follow up here. On my pontiac the way to do it is to start the engine while holding the dashboard 'mode' or 'set' buttons down.
    also to nitpick, I'm sure you already know that the gauge is neither measuring engine temperature nor oil temperature - it is measuring coolant temperature.
    edited December 2011
    Simple answer, your car (as with virtually every other car these days) has want can euphemistically be called an "Idiot Gauge". Said gauge is slaved to the OBD-II system, and as long as the coolant temperature is within the acceptable range, the gauge won't move from the "normal" position. The problem with such gauges is that when things start getting too hot, you see normal-normal-normal-tooeffinghot!
  • drvettedrvette Member Posts: 99
    "I also don't see how Korean dietary preferences have ANYTHING to do with a discussion of relative vehicle quality"

If you had read CAREFULLY, you'd noticed that I do NOT have a problem with Koreans eating dogs, it was the "treatment" of the animals prior to slaughter that my was my issue.

"I think you have made it clear that you have an issue with at least one country... which might be coloring your opinion of their cars? "

Yes, in the respect of the [IMHO] inhumane treatment of the canines, I do reserve the option to be "opinionated" against Korea's auto industry.

Also, my 3+ decades with Southern Company, and the over 10k employees who post on intra-net boards and personal contact, has led to insight regarding most vehicle makers.
    The Koreans MAY have improved quality, but in the first decade or so, the build quality was somewhat reminiscent of the Yugo.

A discussion of this nature could also point the finger inwards, as WE, the police of the world, maintain our "Right-by-Might" to pursue High Seas Piracy,

[and 20 gazillion other World Court & Geneva Convention Rules violations]

by boarding vessels in international waters and seizing cargo supposedly bound for the USA.

One particular incident comes to mind.
    "1500~ Miles off the coast of Manila, the US Coast Guard seized some tonnage of Cannabis bound for the US"

Two things really bother me with our actions in this case.
    1 - The US' territorial waters do not extend quite that far
    2 - Why is the "US Coast Guard" involved with drug interdiction half way around the world ?

All of this is waaaaay OT, sorry for the rant,
    I'll get off my soap box now :shades:

Kudo's for calling me out on this or any subject BTW

Rusty Wrench
    aka
    DrVette
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Call me weird, but in forums like this dedicated to talking about cars, I like to talk about... CARS. If I want to discuss inhumane treatment of animals or action on the high seas, I know there's likely multiple forums that cover those subjects.

For example, I could say the Cruze is CRAP because everyone at GM is a lying, coniving thief who stole billions from US taxpayers. Now, that statement has NOTHING to do with the Cruze itself, and I don't actually think that way about GM and its loan from the Feds. But it's an example of how discussions like this could dive off into the deep end with irrelevancy.

So, let's talk about cars, shall we? I've noticed you have lots to say on that subject.
  • drvettedrvette Member Posts: 99
    You have your opinions, and I have mine. I think the US will be found to be a terrible bully in the future history books, but that as you say is neither here nor there.

The vehicle choice discussion reminds me of an old saying;

"That's why God gave man a choice, Ford or Chevrolet"

Happy Holidays

Rusty Wrench
    aka DrVette
    image">
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    You have your opinions, and I have mine

Yes, and all opinions about the topic are welcome. But not the other political and morality crap.
    Anyone know if and when the Cruze hatch will be available in the USA? I know it's available in other countries and it looks pretty slick. I prefer a hatch for my next car, so unless the Cruze is available in hatch form no later than mid-2013, it will be far down my list compared to other high-FE compacts that offer a hatchback/wagon.
    how about a Cruze Maxx Diesel ! with standard transmission. (ok, so there are only 2 people in USA who want that configuration.)
    Make that three! :)
    I'm not sold on diesels. Probably because I remember the Old Days of foul smelling exhaust and fuel that jells in the very cold weather we can get in Minnesota. But mostly there's a price premium for diesels that I don't know if I'd ever recoup, given the few miles I drive and the price premium for diesel fuel vs. 87 octane.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter is looking to interview midsize or small car owners who recently switched from Honda or Toyota to Chrysler, Ford or GM. Email pr@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, January 5, 2012 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your decision and your experience so far.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• carman14carman14 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2012
    Just rented a Chevy Cruze in Orlando, who writes these reviews. This car went back the next day.

Seats are hard and uncomfortable
    No spare tire could be found
    Small trunk barely enough for one suitcase
    Car has a weird acceleration problem, was searching all over for gears as I merged on highways

Switched to a Chrysler 200 next day much better in all categories and seats are quite comfortable for a 200lb 6fter. Quiet like a library too!

Not that I want a 200 anyhow....
    edited January 2012
    You must have gotten a 2011. I think the 2012s have a spare tire standard now. They were optional in 2011.

I'm surprised you had trouble fitting one suitcase into the trunk. There's 15.4 cubic feet of trunk space, which is pretty big for a compact car. (And bigger than the 200's trunk--that has 13.6 cubic feet.)

I've rented several Cruze LTs and haven't noticed a gear hunting problem. Also I thought the driver's seat was very comfortable, with good support. It IS firm, but I've found firm car seats provide better long-term comfort than soft/squishy seats. (Volvo and VW wrote the book there.) One thing you might not have noticed about the driver's seat is that, if it was a 2011 w/o the power option, it has TWO height adjustment levers. Which is unusual these days, but provides a lot of adjustment for seat bottom height and angle. I love that feature. I'm sorry to see it's no longer on the 2012 Cruze, at least not all trims as it was in 2011.
    This slush box is capable of 50MPG, turbo makes it fast enough to deal with any situation if you can drive a stick.
    Besides my other car is a 1987 Buick Grand National, turbo v-6 that I can blast around with and have my fun with the gas I save with the Eco!!!!
    Meh! I defy anybody to drive a Cruze ECO with a slushbox (or even a stick version for that matter) in normal real-world conditions where they aren't posing a road hazard (hyper-milers are road hazards) and get 50 mpg.

Regarding your Grand National; if you define going fast in a straight line "fun" then more power to you. Many of us don't share your passion.
    edited January 2012
    C/D tested the Cruze Eco 6MT vs. the Volt and got 47 mpg with the Eco in their "commuting" test. They also found that mpg at steady speeds up to the low 60s resulted in 50+ mpg on the Eco.

So 50 mpg on the Eco stick appears achievable in the real world, under the right conditions. Not in all-city driving or high-speed highway driving, however.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2011-chevrolet-volt-vs-2011-chevrolet-cr- - uze-eco-comparison-test
    I don't have an issue with someone claiming the ECO with a manual can achieve 50 mpg in very isolated circumstances, but in "real world" mode I'm a bit skeptical; doubly so if someone is claiming that kind of economy when the car is saddled with a slushbox.
    I would not call the "commuting" test C/D did an "isolated" circumstance. And 47 mpg is close enough to 50 to think about how someone else's commute could garner 50.

Also I do most of my highway driving at 65 mph and under. That's the fastest limit on the highways I go on 95% of the time, and it's almost all urban driving where going faster wouldn't be practical/safe most of the time. So again, 50 mpg seems achievable in REAL WORLD driving. Just not in EVERYONE's world.
    OK I am an automotive shop owner and I do drive real world 60mph from Lexington, Ky to Chicago 435 miles each way, twice, 52mpg door to door, Lexington to Morristown Tenn. 400+ miles 53mpg at 60 mph. The stick shift eco does get 50+ miles per gallon real world.
    I suggest you check your numbers and data before saying things that are not true, Gary M&G Engineering SAE, ASE BS. IN&T L-1 certification
    edited January 2012
    Seriously? You call 60 mph "real world"? Here in New England folks who drive 60 mph are called a road hazard. I honestly don't believe there is a single road anywhere in New England where 60 mph is both safe and sustainable.
    Maybe you are thinking of Vermont, where the maximum speed limit on all highways except rural interstates is 50-55 mph. So that would jive with 60 mph not being safe and sustainable, at least on most highways in Vermont.

Anyway, the OP wasn't talking about New England. There are other "real worlds" out there besides New England.
    I think he means the other way around - that 60 MPH is way too slow on most roads - particularly interstates, where the speed limit is usually 70 MPH (which it appears to be in Indiana, where most of the Lexington to Chicago trip would occur).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Kirstie understands; 60 mph is too slow for interstate travel (except for construction zones and deep urban environments where 60 is typically too fast).

Long story short, I'm thinking there isn't much of the "real world" that includes a safe driving environment for travel at 60 mph.
    edited January 2012
    I understood him just fine. ;)

He just doesn't understand:

1) Speed limits in New England
    2) There are other worlds besides New England.
    3) Not everyone drives on interstates when commuting via highways.
    edited January 2012
    I've lived, worked and driven all over the United States and I have roughly a million and a half miles under my belt, and I stand by my statement; there are few places where it is safe to drive at a sustained 60 miles per hours (regardless of whether we're talking about interstates, rural highways, or anywhere else for that matter.

Said another way, a constant sustained speed of 60 mph is in that bizarre seam between thresholds where its either too slow to be safe or too fast to be safe.
    edited January 2012
    Get off those interstates, man, and see the REAL America! :)

You are one of, what, 150 million drivers in the United States? Yet you can confidently assert that YOUR world is the only REAL world when it comes to driving?

If you go 60 mph on most highways in Vermont, for example (which btw is a state in New England), you will be exceeding the speed limit by 5-10 mph. And that doesn't account for conditions. I hear it snows in Vermont sometimes. ;) Yet you assert it is not safe to drive those highways at even 5-10 mph over the speed limit... that such speed is "bizarre".

I think there's something bizarre here... but driving safely at 60 mph on many of the highways of the USA isn't it.
    New Hampshire; speed limit is 65, however, any car traveling at speeds below 75 become road hazards.

As for getting off the interstate, believe it or not, I've crossed the entire continent at least a half a dozen times without using a limited access highway for more than a couple of miles at a shot (typically where two or more routes merge for a few miles before separating once again).

FWIW, my favorite non-interstates are US-6 across Nevada and US-2 between Everett, WA and St. Ignace, MI.
    edited January 2012
    The speed limit on INTERSTATES in New Hampshire is 65. On other limited-access and "other" roads it's only 55. Why are you fixated on interstates? Also in two other states in New England, CT and Maine, the limit on many highways is only 55.

Just because you are a "speed demon" on the highways of New England et. al. doesn't mean all Americans are. Those are the folks who have a chance to hit 50 mpg in a Cruze Eco, especially one with the 6MT. Unfortunately, looks like you wouldn't have a chance to do that. Unless you want to slow down a bit, take in the beautiful scenery of Northern MN as you drive through it on US-2. ;)
    Seriously? I don't think I'm focusing in interstates at all. I think a sustained 60 mph is way-way too slow to safely drive on most interstate stretches (assuming non-rush hour time), and 60 mph is rather fast for pretty much any non-interstate (unless we're talking roads like US-6 across Nevada, then 60 is once again too slow). Like I wrote earlier, I believe a sustained 60 is in that place where it is either too fast or too slow for safe operation in well over 90% of all driving environments here in the States.

At this point I'm done with this conversation; we're just going around in a circle.
    Shoot, you were just beginning to make sense:

I think a sustained 60 mph is way-way too slow to safely drive on most interstate stretches (assuming non-rush hour time), and 60 mph is rather fast for pretty much any non-interstate (unless we're talking roads like US-6 across Nevada, then 60 is once again too slow).

Agreed! (Except in the special case of interstates that wind through the hearts of big cities, some of those have 50-55 limits.)

Do you know how many miles of interstate highways there are in the USA? About 47,000. Know how many total highway miles there are in the USA? About 4 million. So interstate miles comprise less than 2% of all highway miles.

Conclusion: on the vast majority of highways in the USA, 60 mph is "rather fast." But a good speed at which to take a shot at 50 mpg in a Cruze Eco.
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    I manage two claims offices for a large insurance company and oversee a fleet of 65 cars. Over the years our vehicle choices have improved to decent, nicely sized cars (well, decent for company car standards - Magnum, Impala, current Taurus) but like most corporations these days we have looked for ways to cut costs. I thought it was enough of a step down when we went to all four-cylinder Malibus and Fusions last year but a decision was made to order some Cruzes for our office pool vehicles. The first one arrived on Friday and today one of the managers who reports to me drove in from our satellite office to my location for a visit. His first comment when he came into my office was "this thing doesn't have cruise control." After telling him that couldn't be, we went for a ride and he was right. Turns out that even though there is supposedly a fleet model of the Cruze, we're only getting the base LS. IIRC, cruise isn't an option at any cost on this lowest trim level. As for the car itself, I've liked the looks of the Cruze since it came out and have sat in a few but never driven one until today. Room, ride, fit and finish appear to be competitive, but man was that 1.8L one slug of an engine. I wasn't expecting a powerhouse by any stretch; just figured that 1.8 liters of displacement in a car of this size would be adequate. Freeway merging is white knuckle kinda stuff. I know the 1.4L turbo is the engine of choice in this car. I sure hope it moves it with more authority than the base engine. Too bad that this one feature sours the entire experience, at least with the slushbox.

I have three more of these things arriving in the next few weeks. I anticipate some grumbling among my employees.......

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

No, they don't always use interstates, but there is not really an efficient way to get from Lexington, KY to Chicago, IL other than by using I-65. It would be a long and winding trip by any other method. I can speak from experience on this one, as I lived in Lexington for 6+ years and made that trip a number of times. Absent other info from the OP, one would assume he took I-65, on which the speed limit is 70 MPH. The relevance of those facts to New England driving experience escapes me.

It is highly likely - again, in the absence of other info - that the OP traveled a 70 MPH interstate averaging 60 MPH, which would generally be considered too slow, regardless of where you're from.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

edited January 2012
    I'm wonder if we're not confusing "unsafe" with "a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]". Sure, slower traffic causes you to adjust/turn off the cruise or pull out to pass which is a pain but I'm not sure it's unsafe....especially on most parts of I-65. I think the feds/states have determined that the minimum "safe" speed is 45mph on most interstate hwys. Does a very slow driver cause some people to get mad, overreact and potentially cause a dangerous situation? Sure, sometimes, but whose fault is that....really?
    edited January 2012
    The slow driver. The fact is that it isn't "speed" that kills, it is "speed differential" that kills. If the average speed is say 75 mph (regardless of what is placarded on the road signs), and if 98% of the drivers are withing 5 mph of the "average", then the individual doing 60 (or less) is the one who is at fault for causing an unsafe condition.

Said another way, the individual doing 15 mph less than the average speed is no less of a danger to him or herself (and those around him or her) than the individual doing 15 mph more than the average speed.
    I don't want to start down this road, really, as that conversation has been held, and re-held, and re-re-held, over on the Auto News board, but I'll just say that vehicles travelling well above the prevailing speed of traffic, and vehicles travelling well below it, both present a hazard to other drivers... as well as creating the potential inconvenience of traffic pile-ups.

Since the original comment(s) related to MPG, I'll reel it back around to the original point, with which I agree - I don't feel that reporting 60 MPH MPG is representative of what the general driving population would experience on a similar journey, taking mostly 70 MPH speed limit roads.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

The relevance of those facts to New England driving experience escapes me.

Me too.
    edited January 2012
    it's easy to be 'fixated' on interstates, eh? also it's sometimes possible to drive 60 safely/with-flow-of-traffic on interstate in the right lane, regardless of the posted limit. I drive slow (60 mph) in right-lane especially when the left/middle lanes get absurdly stacked up with tailgators, but in 100k of driving i'll probably never find out what is the car's mpg on a roadtrip at 60 mph.

as for the 1.8LS, no cruise control but it's possible that swapping in the LT steering wheel will provide the full cruise functions. this would be consistent with some other things about the vehicle software too (for example, the non-nav/LS models paradoxically have full-function turn-by-turn nav, enabled one directions-set at a time by your friendly onstar rep.)

and I did indeed have one particular white-knuckle freeway merge with the M6 1.8LS after a fraidy-cat stopped ahead on the entrance ramp. aside from the starting from stop or slow-roll situation, with the M6 it's easy enough to keep the engine in the high-rpm power-band if you plan ahead. :
  • ken137ken137 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2011 Eco that has an antifreeze smell when using the heater. It has gotten so bad that I try not to use the heater. My dealer has had 3 attempts to fix and still not fixed. Also, when I park in my garage after driving the garage ends up smelling like antifreeze. This car has had so many problems since I bought it last april. I just noticed yesterday that one of my fog lights has condensation in it. There is also a steering issue while cruising at highway speeds the steering will lock for a second and then break free. My dealer had 3 attempts at fixing this with the latest one they changed the entire rack.
    interesting re the antifreeze smell, Ken. please update here on the resolution. 3 attempts? count the days-in-shop - smells that make the driver nauseous could be considered drivability problem and maybe you can get lemonlaw swap/buyback.
    condensation in the foglight is normal in the vehicles i've owned with foglights. you can run the light and probably dry out the condensation when you see it, if you like.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Is it leaking antifreeze? Are there puddles under the car.
    Have the oil tested - that will tell you if it is leaking into the engine.
    I had a leak in a heater hose one time long ago and the antifreeze just soaked under the carpeting. Didn't drip on garage floor or nothing in oil.
    edited January 2012
    i'm up for diagnosing likely issues, but i hope that a dealership fixes it soon. due to the smell, there's no question it is leaking coolant somewhere, even if a non-measureable amount, and even if it is not found on the floor. there are 100 places it could go, including evaporating/burning-off.

due to recent experience, my #1 guess is thermostat/housing/rtv-sealant or any other sealant used for thermostat/housing. [ no idea if the cruze motor(s) thermostat is like that for GM LS2 however]
    to reproduce&find this leak, the dealership had to leave the car idling in the shop for a Long Time. For me it would be evident after driving & parking in garage- smell of coolant in garage - some tiny droplets on garage floor. Also it would be evident on a cold-start - the initial rush of air from vents would very smell coolant-ish. Again, root cause for it was thermostat.
  • jamtracyjamtracy Member Posts: 75
    This is a little late.
    I just bought a 2012 1LT Cruze and was told just about the same thing. The finance guy ran the VIN and the Cruze was eligible for my GM Card 2K rebate plus ONE of the following: USAA $750 or GM loyalty $500.
    Even the $500 Military credit did not work. No credit union either. But when I bought my 2011 Sierra all the rebates were able to be stacked.

I was getting 1K below MSRP on the Cruze but it was added back on because I was hugely upside down on my trade. Oh and this was in Northern California. Lots of inventory with all colors. Mostly Eco's and 1LT's with extra options. Very little 2LT or LTZ.

Anyway I love the car and I'm glad I bought it.
    If you recently considered a hybrid but decided on a fuel-efficient non-hybrid instead, please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, February 3, 2011 to share your story.
    Please include your daytime contact information and a few words about the decision you made.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• budman21budman21 Member Posts: 38
    Getting 34.5 mostly highway on mine 2012 LT1 auto. I chose it over the Eco since I'm only leasing and the Eco upgrade wont pay for itself in 2 yrs. I also didnt like the smaller gas tank and special tires needed for it. It's been great so far.

I hit a lot of hills. Anyone know if shifting the automatic into neutral is bad for the tranny? Reason I ask is that it came with an updated loose manual page saying don't tow it in neutral with all four wheels on the ground.

Oh and save your breath if you feel compelled to tell me it's illegal tho....I already know that.
    Coasting down hill in neutral is OK as long as engine is running/idling, but you can use decel fuel cut off, back off throttle completely and let it go, decel works between 1100 and 1800rpm, shuts off fuel completely and restarts when throttle is pressed, I use it all the time when coming to stoplites or going down hill, really adds to the bottom line in fuel economy. Might as well take advantage of all the design efforts that went into car. Hills are the tuffest part for economy, I usually hold at "0" vacuum in whatever gear I can still climb hill and not loose too much speed, the turbo is nice but when you go into boost mode it uses more fuel than just keeping engine at load and no boost. I have tried using low boost 2-4 pounds but I can beat it by downshifting and keeping out of boost area.
    I would like to know if everyone is having issues with cold engine warm-up time???? I installed my own fully functioning coolant temp gauge and at any temp below 45 degrees warm-up time is very long especially if you driving for fuel economy. Today I did a 2 minute warm-up all accesories on, headlite bright, fan on high defrost heater control to cold. Drove 5 miles hard acceloration up hill, turbo boost and it was still at 180 after 14 minutes. Front shutter was closed the entire time and electric thermostat was still closed when I returned???????.
    I know that the engine is very efficient but quick warm-up is essential to fuel economy. 180 is not bad but specs call for 210 normal temp.
    Second test in 20 degree temp was worse, no warm-up after 7 miles engine temp was still 170 with 3 people in the car.
    I have installed a lower radiator hose coolant heater, it went bad after 5 uses, but it seemed to help if put on about 1/2 hour before I use the car. It did set trouble codes twice but not with any repeatability that I could see. Temp gauge would go to cold and check lite would be on and cooling fan running. Code set was for engine coolant temp sensor improper operation, but would only set about 4 miles into first trip ad then not every time. I had to clear codes with scan tool to restore everything to normal.
    How long does it take for your car to warm up on gauge 1 tick before 1/2????
    I expect automatics and standard models to heat up quicker because they waste more fuel.