Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Recalls

debbiew75debbiew75 Member Posts: 19
edited September 2017 in Ford
have had the rear brakes replaced twice. throttle body went out at 54,000 miles, and now the whole transmission has been pulled some kind of bearing is out at 75,000. 6000. for the transmission exchange! i have owned lots of cars. this is my 4th ford. never have had a problem with all the cars i have owned. this car has given me nothing but problems.

why isn't there a recall? what has to happen for that?

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    If your last 4 Fords had zero problems, then your Freestyle is averaging things out for your. Think about it like on average you've had one problem per car, which isn't too bad. Doesn't help now, but a different way to look at it.
  • savannah21savannah21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Ford Freestyle. Replaced rear brakes at 12,000 mi. The middle seat latch has been replaced FIVE times as of last week. Now the throttle seems to be sticking and the transmission slipping. Taking the car in AGAIN tomorrow. This is my first Ford. I love the room it has but have never owned a car with so many problems and its only 3 years old. Not Impressed with Ford at all When I
    contacted the company they told me that it was basically not their problem!
  • mrachedimrachedi Member Posts: 6
    Millage 73,198 with ESP Premiumcare. Wrench light on dash, took to dealer, Throttle body replaced and only cost my deducible of $50. Would have cost over $600 if no warranty. Plus told parts were on backorder so problem exists for a whole lot of folks.
    Dealer found part and left after 4 hour wait that included waiting for part to be brought to dealer.

ESP about to expire and have quote on line Ford ESP for 2 yr 24,000 at under $1400. Think I will get this just to be safe.
  • kieracmkieracm Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a brand new 2007 ford freestyle and now after 72,000 miles and many other problems that I had to fix on my own because I didn't purchase the warranty, I had to take it today to the dealership because of the Throttle Body that needs to be replaced. This will cost me about $1,000.00. My car is accelerating on it's own, the wrench light comes on after the acceleration, and I loose power all together. I am forced to shut off the vehicle, wait a couple of minutes and start the car back on. Just imagine this situation on a busy highway...

The only way we can make sure the dealer fixes this problem is to call the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 and file a complaint. After they review the complaint they have the authority to request that the Dealer issues a recall and fix the issues. I just did this myself and it took me about 20 minutes, however, a case number was sent to me immediately. If we all take 20 minutes of our time, we can have Ford fix these problems and who knows? maybe even save somebody's life...
  • jesgonzjesgonz Member Posts: 1
    I have 2007 ford freestye and the car accellerates on it own when the foot is on the brake. Has anyone experienced this. What is ford doing to fix this problem. I did a complaint online thru. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. WIll these people so something for those who have this problem. I don't feel safe driving my car especially with my family.
  • repairdaily2repairdaily2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle. I purchased it new. I have 107k miles on it. The brakes have been replaced 5 times. The throttle body was replaced at 58K miles. About one month ago the car starting jumping backwards when I put it in reverse with my foot on the brake. My dealer Billy Howell Cumming Ga said they never heard of such a thing. Now it is jumping forward in drive with my foot on the brake. They charged me $218.00 to repair it and it is worse than ever. They charged $218 to hook it up to the computer that did not definitively say that it is the throttle body. They by the way told me the part is back ordered for weeks and basically "OH WELL" I called Ford and they told me to go pound salt. Never heard of such a thing they said.. So I am not feeling safe to drive this car. No body will help. Maybe we file a class action law suit before somebody gets hurt as in the toyota situation. The service manager said he just can't believe the car jumped like this.
  • angiefangief Member Posts: 5
    I was lucky the first two time my Transmission had to be replace Uunder warranty)- now it is lurching, the wrench comes on. After reading this blog I am going to try having my valves cleaned and see what happens. I am going to file a complaint. I will post the outcome. I love the size of this car and hate to have to trade since it is paid for. But I need something that will carry all 4 small grandchildren that is easy to get in and out of. Really do not want another large SUV.
  • lanbabalanbaba Member Posts: 45
    Check my previous post about the tranny. Dealer finally torned the whole trany apart and it seems the tranny weared out. It is really redicious for a tranny to fail only at 67K with a car been taken care of. Now the dealer is trying to find a used tranny for me or a remanued one with will be 4400. Ok, I hopen them find a used one and byebye, ford, I will get rid of it as soon as they got it repaired.
    Anyone started the class action, count me in.
  • debbiew75debbiew75 Member Posts: 19
    i did purchase the ESP. you better!
    thanks... but no thanks. there is a reason i purchase the more expensive cars. if i wanted a view point like that i would have bought a focus or a fiesta.
    After spending all the money to fix my freestyle, i got online and did alot of research and found an attorney who specializes in the lemon law and breach of warranty. I submitted all my paperwork, and i guess after he did the research on the piece of crap, he took my case! so, we shall see what is going to happen in the next 6 - 8 weeks
    yes ma'am! i got the same response. and the sad part is my ESP was a ford warranty. i have fixed the car, and will continue to do so. but in the mean time i found an attorney that specializes in the lemon law and breach of warranty. i mean it can't hurt to try and get some of my money back!
    this is my point! and i told ford that it is a shame that i drive my 3 children around daily in this car, i guess if something god forbid happend to one of them then maybe..... it's just craziness!
  • dkincaid36dkincaid36 Member Posts: 7
    Just got off the phone with a representative with NHTSA/ODI and was told that this throttle problem is under investigation as of August 23, 2010. She stated that it is in Phase 1 and is a 4 Phase process. This could take anywhere from 4 months to 1 year to get a final decision. Anyone that has their Freestyle's Throttle body replaced, save your receipts just in case we all win this. Apparently there has been enough complaints for them to open the investigation. Keep your fingers crossed, I know it is very scary to drive your freestyles in the present condition, I own one myself and pray everyday that I don't hit someone.
  • lcjesselcjesse Member Posts: 30
    glad to hear that they have finally initiated an investigation. Hope they determine that it is a recall situation. Fortunately since i had the Fuel Induction Service done, mine has not lurched anymore. But i am convinced that the "gunkieness" caused my AC to go bad. It would be nice to get that$ back and maybe even get a throttle body out of it too, but not sure that the TB really needs replaced. The main thing is that they get to the root of the problem and get a "fix" and maybe save a life or two.
    edited October 2010
    Well unfortunately, I just spoke with another person at the NHTSA and she said the other lady was wrong, it is the Freestars that are under investigation. I did get the throttle body fixed on my Freestyle and it works great now. The guy at Ford said he just had one in there two days before mine with the same problem and when we went to pick mine up he said he had another one coming in and it is the 2nd time they had to have the throttle body replaced. This really scares me because who can afford to put out $750.00+ everytime it goes out. Thankfully mine only costed $750.00 plus having it towed to the shop. I'm really thinking about trading it in for another vehicle and it won't be a Ford this time because they obviously don't stand by their vehicles. It looks like they are selling a bunch of :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Well unfortunately, I just spoke with another person at the NHTSA and she said the other lady was wrong, it is the Freestars that are under investigation. "

Ford choosing to call their crossover "Freestyle" was one of the dumbest marketing decisions ever, because people confused it with the Freestar, which had a bad reputation. I can forgive them for styling it like the Explorer (when the FS was designed the Explorer was a top seller), but not the name. It should have been Taurus X or some variant of Ford 500.
  • bf2136bf2136 Member Posts: 4
    NHTSA has started a investigation/gathering information into the throttle issues with the Freestyle. I submitted a formal complaint with them about my 2007 Freestyle throttle lunging and they contacted me for more information. A investigator has been assigned to start looking into the problem. My suggestion is for anyone who has had, or currently has, a throttle problem with the Freestyle to file a complaint with NHTSA. If they don't know about the problem, then how can they force Ford to fix it. This is a life safety issue, and is un-reasonable to have the consumer pay to fix a problem that so many folk are having. If anyone would like the name of the investigator at NHTSA, post and let me know and I'll be happy to post it.
    bf2136, I would like to know the name of the person that you talked to. I also talked to them at one point and they told me that it was under investigation and when I called them back the next person said "no, it's the Freestar that's under investigation." I sure hope they gave you the right information because this is a safety issue and Ford does need to do something about it. I have since traded my Freestyle in for another vehicle but I kept my receipts for the throttle body that I had replaced on it. Please post the person's name because I would love to call and talk to her. I also filed a complaint with NHTSA about a month ago.
    edited October 2010
    Here is a part of the email I recieved after filing a complaint with the NHTSA. As you can see, it clearly says Freestyle. Hope anyone with the trottle problem will report it to NHTSA or this gentleman. bf2136

My name is Stephen Mchenry; I am an investigator with the National
    Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of the US Department of
    Transportation. I am interested in the report you filed with us
    regarding an incident of surging or engine loss of power in your Ford
    Freestyle. We are conducting an in-depth study of the problem; to assist
    in our research would you please answer the questions in the form below.

If you wish you may call me at my office in Washington DC at
    202-366-4883.
    All personal information will be kept confidential.

I appreciate your help with our research.

Stephen McHenry,
    Federal Investigator
    NHTSA, US DOT
    1200 New Jersey Ave, SE
    Washington DC, 20590
    202-366-4883
    Fax 202-366-1767
    i will be contacting him! just another detail to add! my throttle body went out again! second time to be replaced. 1st time was July 09 and now the second time in Oct. 2010! this time it was the lurching it was all of a sudden I was turning right into an intersection and it just wouldn't go! had it floored and was going only 30mph. And of course the transmission light came on again!
    As of November 4, 2010 there have been 52 complaints filed with the NHTSA about the Ford Freestyle surging. Take a look.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm
  • chindawgachindawga Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle with 63,000 miles and the wrench light went on last week. The car kept decelerating and losing power when I tried to enter onto the freeway. When I floored it, the car would just stutter trying to pick up speed. It's almost like the gears wouldn't switch correctly. I live in SF with lots of hills and the car was stuttering going up and down hills, trying to accelerate, etc. We drove it for 2 days before we took it to the dealer who told us we needed a new throttle body.

We saw this forum and filed a complaint with the NHTSA which confirmed that there is no formal investigation on the FREESTYLE but that there is one open on the Freestar. I also contacted Stephen McHenry above posted by bf2136 who said that there may be an investigation opened up shortly on the FREESTYLE specifically related to the throttle body. In which case he advised me to send the old part back to him (since it is in the shop now) to be inspected and to save all receipts. If an investigation is opened, a recall could be issued in short order and we would be able to get reimbursed by the manufacturer.

Thanks bf2136 for the very helpful contact.
  • emily_in_texasemily_in_texas Member Posts: 2
    As of today there have been 495 complaints on the 2006 Ford Freestyle alone, not counting other years
  • bathommelbathommel Member Posts: 1
    I have an '07 with surging issues. The throttle body has been suspect the whole time, but I was told without a code, FORD would not pay for it. It finally duplicated for the shop foreman, but will cost me over $600. There is a lot of info about this problem on the web so there is obviously something wrong with this setup.
  • akcallakcall Member Posts: 6
    I had to have a throttle body replaced on my 2006 Freestyle in 2009. I am now looking to have another replaced in 2011. The difference is this time I will be footing the $700 plus bill because my warranty has expired. I love my car because of the room but I have had nothing but problems with this car.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I had to have a throttle body replaced on my 2006 Freestyle in 2009. I am now looking to have another replaced in 2011. The difference is this time I will be footing the $700 plus bill because my warranty has expired. I love my car because of the room but I have had nothing but problems with this car. "

Sorry to hear of your throttle body issue, just out of curiosity, what other problems have you experienced?
    I am having the same problem.. My car was under warranty in 09 when the throttle body went out. We were driving down the road and it wouldn't go. It has been 2 years, and now we are having the same problem again. This time my warranty is gone so now I am looking at $700.00 plus out of my own pocket. I really wish ford would recall this part, it is a major safety issue.
    My car was in the shop for about 3 weeks due to a problem with the traction control light that kept coming on and staying on even after I was told the problem was fixed. I would go pick it up drive it for a day or two then the traction control light would come back on again.
    The power steering pump went out on it, and had to be replaced.
    About a week after I bought it (used) the brakes were replaced by Ford and covered at no cost to me because they said they were under warranty.
  • angiefangief Member Posts: 5
    Be sure to file a complaint with the Feds.

I love me to for the room. I had my intake cleaned and it has helped so far. You might think about trying the $100 fix first.
    i feel ya!!! mine has been replaced twice... less than a year apart.
  • rebecca33rebecca33 Member Posts: 5
    I would like the Invest. info....

Our Freestyle would accelerate on its own and then not go like many others on here....but while we were on vacation in Branson Mo. driving on the winding hills, the car would not go and my husband was flooring it....very scary...once we returned home on flat land country it was better until we had a snow storm and were driving through it. Lots of snow on the road, slow driving and it started again....no hills this time....for us it seems like if their is conditions that make the car work harder than normal..... there is problems...
  • tdncstillerstdncstillers Member Posts: 1
    By chance my wife had an issue just last night. Weather here in NC is 94+ and she was at a local shopping center started car, went to put it in reverse to back out of a parking space and the engine surged and cut off. She says this happened 3 times before she was finally able to get out of the parking lot and then roughly 1/4 mile later at a busy intersection when trying to accelerate she could not go more than 30 mph with the pedal pushed to the floor. According to her the "wrench" light stayed on. I got home a little while later I got home and the car had been off and sitting for 5-10 minutes...It started and ran fine? I had to run an errand so I drove it, @ 5 miles, parked in a lot, got back in, restarted no issues.? I happened to see your listing for Stephen McHenry and thought hmm I will give him a call and see if there is any further news. I was pleasantly suprised that he indeed called me back and has emailed me the Tech. Service Bulletin on this issue. We had a good conversation and he said that the NHTSA has opened a formal investigation about this issue and we both agreed to exchange info as we found out more. I am going to try cleaning the throttle body per the bulletin and if I do need to replace it I will be sending the original to Steve for further investigation.

2006 Ford Freestyle SEL owner
  • sherryshampsherryshamp Member Posts: 1
    So glad to hear of similar problems. Bought 2007 Freestyle used with limited warranty left. Now the wrench light, surging, stalling. All of it. Very unsafe and disappointing for a newer car. Hope to see a recall soon. Headed to the Ford dealership tomorrow.
    Just wondering what the tech service bulletin stated. I filed my complaint on the NHTSA's website today. I am very disappointed with the problems with this car!
  • joslmajoslma Member Posts: 1
    We had the same traction control light problem. What finally fixed yours?
    I just went to the NHTSA website and the throttle body for the 2005 thru 2007 Ford Freestyles is under investigation as of May 11, 2011. I also received an email from Stephen McHenry that is the investigator on this case. Maybe soon we will all have some kind of response to this issue. I spent over $700.00 dollars to have mine replaced and got lucky to get the last throttle body available at the time before they were on backorder. When I picked up my freestyle the man at the ford dealership told me that he had another freestyle coming in for the same problem but would have to wait until the part is available.
    I can't remember the name it was some $1,200 part and three weeks in the shop to figure it out. I will look through my paper work and see if I can find the name of the part and get back to you.
  • pansoncillospansoncillos Member Posts: 1
    I just filed my online complaint with NHTSA - hope to hear something soon!

I didn't know there was a chance we could be reimbursed by manufacturer so I will look for receipts since we have already replaced the throttle body before. This time around the problem seems to be worse. Read on another post that brakes seem to be an issue too..I thought it was just me but they have had to be replaced on my vehicle more than normal.
  • kdibkdib Member Posts: 5
    OK after 44K miles and 17 trips to the Ford Dealer for lunging they now want to replace the Throttle Body and of course Charge me. I guess I will file with NHTSA tonight.
  • ktex1ktex1 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem, today, my wife with mother-in-law and kids in the car. Very frustrating. I contacted Ford and am awaiting their response. Should not have to wait for NHTSA to force their hand. Not, if quality is job one (and if caring for the well being of others matters too). Outrageous situation.
    I noticed the problem seems to intensify if the AC's been on for a while or if idyling or operating at less than 5 mph.
  • mcmillan1mcmillan1 Member Posts: 1
    Have my 2007 Freestle for service right now, car has ben lurching when foot is on the brake pedal. Had appointment to take it in Monday, but last night it starting lurching and sputtering and the check engine light came on while driving. Luckily I was able to safely pull over in a parking lot
    I turned off vehicle and restarted it and drove a mile to the dealership. This is the 3rd time in 47 days that I had his vehicle in for the same symptom. They replaced the EGR Valve, did a fuel sytem service, and replaced the Mass air sensor coming up to over $1000.00 in repairs and it still isn't fixed. I am waiting on the phone call to see what the problem is this time. I did buy the extended warranty and am hoping the repair will be covered this time.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The 80,000 standard emissions warranty may cover your repairs...check your warranty book.
  • dstegdsteg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Freesytle that has also been lurching. It happens usually when I run the air for the front and the back. Did you find anything out after taking it to the dealer?.
  • douger1douger1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey new to the site, I just looked up Freestyle recalls and found that there is a lot people having the same problem. I was undeterminded if I was having a problem out of the TPS or the throttle body from the codes I retrieved from the car. You guys have answered my question. I have found that the throttlebody is on back order due to the manufacture of the part has went belly up. (wonder why) The original part was heated by the engine coolant and the new replacement part is not. I do not understand why this part has not been recalled. I keep waiting to hit another car or person. Maybe we should contact local news stations to see if we can get the same response they got from the "lunging Toyotas".
  • tickedtctickedtc Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Ford Freestyle Limited...with extra bells and whistles...that's why we got it!...Up until now... 89,000 miles I have LOVED it. I felt VERY UNSAFE in my car the other day...100+degrees out...A/C going....although actin lil funny...and then the Wrench light came on...it surged while in Reverse....then turned off while in Bank...came out...turned on...wrench went away...went along...then onto Bypass/Hwy....and THAT WHEN I FREAKED OUT CRYING!!!....My husband, little sister, and our 9yo Son were in the Vehicle. I had gas pedal to the FLOOR...and NO MORE Than 25MPH.....then...as I let off gas pedal...it SURGED up to 55MPH!...I was slamming on break...NOT sure WHAT going on!...I have the Ford Certified Vehicle of 5yr/100,000 mile warranty...I took it to a CERTIFIED FORD DEALER...b/c in order to be covered warranty I had to....They told me it was the Throttle Body....going to cost almost $900 to replace and that it was not Considered Warrantied under Powertrain...and that I needed a new fuel filter...and to flush my fuel injection...total Cost almost $1200...NOW the wrench Does NOT stay on my Control Panel all the time...It has actually only shown up 2x!...so I blew off the previous "surges" as "all in my head"...when In fact I have a legitimate REASON...to fear for SAFETY when driving....SO...with that said...I have noticed that this SURGING increases when Idle...ie red light etc...and when in Reverse...my car actually shut down.."died"...and when I put it into Park when pulling in Driveway...it lunges a bit. But going from 25....to 55...after taking foot of accelerator!...WOW....pretty FREAKY...I very WELL could have SLAMMED into a car or someone in front of me!...NOT TO MENTION...the "stalling"...I was so scared driving it to the dealer that I avoided the hwy alltogether B/C I didn't want to Pull out...have it NOT accelorate appropriately....and get T-boned!....I purchased my Pre-Owned...Certified vehicle in 2008 with something like 30+K miles...So we DRIVE A LOT...we take a lot of short VACA's...and I travel a LOT for my work!...so YES...I am DEATHLY AFRAID TO DRIVE IT AT ALL....except to the next DEALER to trade the **** thing in !.......talk about ONE NOT HAPPY MOMMY!....this is OUr FAMILY vehicle....I thought Ford was suppose to be Built Tough...and SAFE...HUH? I too would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE TO SEE THIS VEHICLE RE-CALLED....AND ALL OWNERS TO BE REIMBURSED!...I DON'T HAVE $900 TO REPLACE THIS AT THIS TIME...my option is for a "buddy" to do the repair on the cheap...and HOPE It fixes it LONG enough for me to TRADE it OFF!!!!! I sure hope this matter is resolved....and SOON!!
  • nomoreford4nomoreford4 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2011
    I am as angry as you are after experiencing similar problems! Thank goodness we didn't hit another car, or worse, a person! Or be hit as we stalled! We have a 2007 Freestyle with 56k on it. Still have 8 months to pay. Replaced the ac for $1200 in early June and then the surging and stalling really hit constantly! It did not happen while the ac was broken.

After much internet research, had the throttle body fuel induction service (as someone on this site suggested) for $125. I'm scared that I will jinx myself but we haven't had a problem in the month and a half since. Now that it is "working" along with my ac, I'm seriously considering a trade in while I know I have no current problems. Good luck!
  • tickedtctickedtc Member Posts: 2
    Well,....I am pretty sure my AC was going OUT!.....but I had more than just a few months to pay on it!.......I am done...it is gone!...I got a NEW car yesterday!........I told my HUSBAND......NO way am I putting our child in that Car again!....I told him it had to go.....and it did...!........I wish luck to you....but after all the research I did...and people are replacing them 3-6 months later!.......NO THANK YOU!...
  • kamkerrymkamkerrym Member Posts: 1
    I too am having problems with my Freestyle lunging. Please send me info on who to file a complaint with.
    Thanks!
  • mickielynnmickielynn Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday I was traveling on the interstate. My 2007 Freestyle had been running great. Turned off interstate to head to destination. Stopped at stoplight, car would no longer move forward, backward, sideways, etc. We have had the car less than three weeks and it has 80,000 miles on it. Please advise on what might cause this issue.