Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Juke

qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
How about that Nissan Juke? Like the MINI Countryman, this tall hatch seems like a good compromise between size, efficiency, and, hopefully, sportiness.

Nissan sent me a poster in the mail the other day. My 4-year-old is quite fond of the looks of it, as well.

I'm having a tough time finding solid specs on it, though. So I feel like making some guesses until someone provides the real answers.

From what I've picked up here and there, it seems like it will come in at around 3000-3100 pounds for starters and with 185-190 hp from its turbo 1.6. With FWD and the 6-speed manual trans, that should make for pretty decent performance. I'm guessing 7.4-7.8 secs 0-60.

The AWD/CVT combo will probably be pushing 9 secs, is my guess.

Mileage? Hmmm... maybe 32mpg highway is possible, ya think? Heck, with a 300hp Mustang hitting 31 these days, why not even higher from this vehicle?

Pricing? They can't step on the Rogue's toes, I wouldn't think. Then again, they are selling it as a "sporty" model, so maybe. What about $16,995 base? I think that might be a good value.

I'm surprised this thing is just a few months away and so little is known about it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Comments

• nick87nick87 Member Posts: 5
    I plan to get one when it comes out. I have have two Altimas - the old one is getting on in years and miles (1998 and 255,000 miles) and I want to replace it with the Juke. I was hoping the mileage would be better. Its a 1.6L engine with the turbo for power when you need it. Love the AWD also with the hatchback. Dropped by the dealership in Bowling Green, KY and the only info they had on it was a poster also!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a pic:

Nissan Juke Compact Crossover Will Debut in Japan This Summer, U.S. This Fall (Green Car Advisor)

I assume that the poster at the dealership resembles our pic. :blush:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    well, since I wrote that first post over a month ago, they did announce projected pricing. It will start over $19k. That's just too high for me for such a vehicle. Still way under the Countryman, however.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    There is a good review at canadiandriver.com Sounds like an interesting rig.
  • honakerhonaker Member Posts: 74
    All the numbers, specs, first looks, test drives have looked real good. For under 25,000 this seems like a winner. Mileage is a little disappointing but it sounds like the ride more than makes up for it.
  • kjd2kjd2 Member Posts: 1
    I looked at one yesterday. It was the mid level SV model. It had a sticker of $24,000. The dealer tacked on a $2,000 upcharge since it's a new model for a total asking price of $26,000. They were willing to bargain some, but were looking for around $25,000.That's more than a nicely equipped CR-V or Rogue. Of course the Juke is not quite the same class. It's a lot smaller but has more peppy performance and a sporty / stylish look. Inside was nicely appointed and laid out, but rather cramped. Seats and shoulder room seemed narrow. Visibility out the sides and rear was not very good due to the sloping roofline and small rear window. Essentially what Nissan has done here is jazzed up a Nissan Sentra by putting designer sheet metal on it and adding AWD and a Turbo. They also tacked on a premium price for what you're getting in my opinion. This would be a nice car for $20,000, but I don't think they'll sell many. I'll wait and see if they offer big rebates in a year or so and maybe look at it again.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    at the dealer yesterday. $24K, no dealer mark-up, stick shift SV with the navigation and a few other things like the doorsill light package and stuff. Absolutely LOVE the quirky weird look of this thing! And despite having a small footprint, it has a ton of space inside, and an easy seating position.

Has a high load floor in the back, which limits the amount of stuff you can put back there, but that's about it.

Didn't get to drive it as they were just closing, but this thing is going to be on my short list. Seems like it would be a lot of fun. 3000 pounds and 188 hp, with the turbo helping it develop peak torque at 1750 rpm, yet 32 mpg highway? Yeah, could be good. ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mmandnoodlemmandnoodle Member Posts: 2
    Bought one yesterday. The car is a BLAST (off) to drive. The turbo is incredible when in Sport mode. Plenty of room in front, not sure about the back. First one in SE Florida I guess to purchase one. Waited a long time for it to come out and am not disappointed other than the BS warrantly they inflated and then jacked up the overall amont of money I financed. I am going through Nissan Direct to purchase an extended warranty and drop the over inflated one the dealer pimped me with (five years at 1750 but kept telling me it was 1260). Wasn't until I got home did I note the fine print...not a big deal, considering THIS CAR IS SUPER COOL, FUN TO DRIVE, AND GETS LOTS OF ATTENTION ON THE ROAD. GOT A LOADED SV FOR 23,030. In sport mode when you hit the pedel, you TAKE OFF. It's awesome, so awesome I'm surprised its not illegal :).
  • chrisr5chrisr5 Member Posts: 2
    I test drove the base model last week at a dealer in Connecticut, It was a fun ride and I love the feel of the car as well as the tech inside. My biggest concern is the fuel economy. So far I've read 2 reviews that said the MPG is not as advertised. 1 review on USA today got 17.7 and another I read got 22mpg. For a car that advertises 25/30 for the AWD model I dont like that. Hoping somebody who has had one for a least a few weeks can let us know how it does on gas.
  • a_duba_dub Member Posts: 2
    What Nissan is doing is absolutely criminal. I've been interested in the FWD Juke SV and have checked about 4 different dealers online. They all state they are getting them in a few at a time so they can't ever confirm stock so of course they push you even harder to purchase.

I was at a Nissan dealer yesterday and a young sales guy tells me all the Jukes are sitting in a warehouse and they're trickling them out. Makes sense as they increase demand by keeping them scarce and it allows them to use negotiating tactics such as what kjd2 says. I sit down at the negotiating table with the finance guys and they throw $2k on the price of the car and offer me 7% interest. I have AMAZING credit and they tell me this is the best they can do.

Complete waste of my time. This car is WAAYYY overpriced and Nissan is preying on the weak willed who get over enthusiastic. Too bad b/c it is a fun car to drive. Although I think you'll all see the MPG's shockingly lower. The 27/32 ratio is if you drive it in ECO mode and trust me, it's sluggish in ECO.
  • texasinaztexasinaz Member Posts: 5
    looks like small infiniti ex/fx
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    saw one at the grocery store-i liked the looks of it. i talked to the woman driving it and she loves it-might need to go take a look.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I have a Honda Fit. The Juke is more fun to drive. It handles well, and the performance is impressive. The navigation and displays are colorful, easy to read, and customizable. Fit & finish seemed good.

Juke offers a higher seating position than Fit, which I liked. However, because of the styling there is modest space for cargo and passengers.
  • chrisr5chrisr5 Member Posts: 2
    Bought an Electric Blue SV AWD model with Nav. Got it for $500 below invoice. If you bargain you will get your price. My dealer had 6 of them on the lot. What I have found is that there are very few SL's around. Dealers stocking mostly SV versions.
  • texasinaztexasinaz Member Posts: 5
    Test drove the juke the other day. Was impressed with the performance, but was not with seating position. No center console to rest arm, and dificult
    ffucult to find a position on
    :cry: driver door. Arm rest too low, window sill too high. Makes a big diference on long drives. Nice car but passed up on buying.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    has 3 out front with hangtags on the inside mirrors advertising a sale price more than $2000 below sticker. So I don't know what was going on before but it seems you can get a pretty good deal on these now.

They also have a couple of stick shift SVs including one in chocolate color with the optional rims, which I think I am going to try and find time to test drive this weekend.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kratos1kratos1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone

Can someone provide the money factor and residual value for a 39 month 12k/yr Juke lease?
    S?
    SV?
    SL?
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    That is why Nissan is the only one offering and saying 39 month leases are the best thing in the world, despite the fact the others do 36 months and their warranty is only for 36 months. Tell them this, and they just scratch their head. Plus, if you live in a state like me where you have to pay either 3 or 4 years of registration, etc if you do 39 months, you'll be paying for a car you won't even have for the other 9 months your registration and DMV fees are for.

Nissan seems to think they sell BMW's and Infiniti's for some reason. Whether you lease or finance.
  • jim7689jim7689 Member Posts: 15
    I just purchased a Juke SV with Auto Trans for my daughter. The color is Cayenne Red with a Black and Red Interior. She loves the car as do I but it could really use an armrest. I guess I will have to make one.
  • raasraas Member Posts: 5
    I've had a Juke for about 2 months. One odd problem. I go to the car wash, drive 1 mile home, put the car in the garage. Next time I put it in gear, the wheels don't want to move at first, then there's a loud snap and everything is back to normal. I thought something was getting frozen but it happened yesterday in 45 degree weather. I haven't asked my dealer ... as long as the car moves, I generally don't bother. Has anyone had this experience?
    RH
  • david77014david77014 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my Juke back in Dec 2012. With over 10k miles already, i have not manage to hit 33mpg,and thats with 90% of my driving is Highway with the ECO on. Its a great little car for 2 but the other down side is that it takes only Surpreme gas!! :mad: Which averages out to 25mpg
  • raasraas Member Posts: 5
    As you may know, most cars that say Premium work just fine on regular and it doesn't void your warranty or anything. In fact that manufacturers including Nissan have tidied up their wording so if you read the applicable notice carefully, it don't forbid Regular or even not advise it ... they just say it may effect performance. The Juke has plenty of performance on Regular especially in the Normal mode (vs Econ). I've noted no differance in MPG (Regular vs Premium). You'd be better off saving the dollars on the fill up and splurging on the Normal driving mode
  • colourmyworldcolourmyworld Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    I bought my Juke SL in April 2011. Very fun to drive! Turbo has lots of get up. The car is alot easier to get in and out of compared to the Altima. I am averaging 27.2 mpg. The GPS is great as is the on screen camera for reverse. I like the USB for my smart phone and hands free talking on my phone. I love my Juke and have gotten lots of compliments. :)
    Recently I have noticed a rattle in the rear somewhere. I am unable to find it, unless it is the rear speaker. I have checked everything I know and am unable to find the origin of the rattle. This is, and should be a very tight little car. It is not the jack or tools in the back. Please reply to this post if anyone has any insight on this muffled rattle.
  • mmandnoodlemmandnoodle Member Posts: 2
    Have you checked the back seats to make sure they are locked in place? I realize this sounds obvious but had a rattle and could not find where it was coming from but eventually found this to be the problem.

Anyone else having trouble with the low tire indicator continually coming on regardless of air pressure in tires?
  • nebraska_jukenebraska_juke Member Posts: 3
    We noticed a rattle/clicking noise on the way home from picking up my Juke from the dealership. It only makes that noise when driving at least 50 mph or faster. After putting my head near the gear shifter, we figured out that was where the noise was coming from. My husband says that is where the catalytic converter is located. The dealship says the noise is normal after we told them about it over the phone. I think not. Other cars do not make that clicking/rattle noise. Other than that, I do LOVE my Juke!
  • marylandjukemarylandjuke Member Posts: 14
    I've found that at a number of "other sites" people are complaining about the license plate rattling.. This could be the issue.. thou I placed velcro on the Plate (not on the car body) to cushion the plate against the body.
    Thou we are very pleased with the Juke.. I feel that there coil springs and / or shocks need to be upgraded.. They aren't as responsive as I would hope. Matter of fact I would rather have the Juke lifted approx 3/4 inch more.. Contacting Nissan and Nismo and a few other companies which create Polyurethane spacers. None have agreed to raise the Juke only lower it..
  • colourmyworldcolourmyworld Member Posts: 2
    I found that the rattle IS the back seat latch, even though it IS latched. When I lay the back seat down, (forward), I do not hear the rattle. It only rattles when turning curves at a slow speed. I plan to pad the latch with something like small bubble wrap. There is no way I can reproduce this rattle when the car is parked and I shake the back seat.

My BF has an Altima and the low tire indicator comes on, and off, frequently.
  • nebraska_jukenebraska_juke Member Posts: 3
    I've had my new Juke for about a month now. when we ordered it, my husband added a few extras for me like the lighting package... it is SO COOL! When my daughter saw it, she said 'Mom, it's just like a Juke Box!' If you can afford it, and want something a little different, get the lighting package. It changes colors! The only thing we really didn't care for is where they put the knob so you might want to discuss that with the dealership. We also got the lighted Juke kick plate, which is neat too.
  • ods2010ods2010 Member Posts: 12
    Wondering if i should buy one of few remaining 2011 Juke out in dealership now or wait for 2012 Juke to come out so that i can compare against
    2012 Impreza Premium 5-Door with CVT auto transmission

What i like 2012 Imperza is its promised 36 MPG on highway and also little more leg space in back seat.
    Juke 2011 back seat has very little space. anyone has any idea if they have increase the size in 2012 ? have they added armrest for driver in 2012 ?

Thank you.
  • monti2000monti2000 Member Posts: 13
    I had to answer your post, because the design on this Juke is a JOKE!

What idiot design engineer could come up with such a design? I have seen a few individuals booting this thin around in the snow. They must think they have some high performance vehicle; however, they quickly ducked as the car started sliding on the ice and snow.

When I first saw the car at the Nissan dealership I thought that it was a poor design, cheaply made, and suitable for a kindergaarten mind.

So I was very amused to read that your 4 year old likes the brochure.

It confirms what I thought. :) :lemon:
  • monti2000monti2000 Member Posts: 13
    Look at the design and quality of the Juke, - who would buy such a thing ?

Did someone actually design such an ugly thing? What is it, - ma cross between a jungle vehicle and some mtoy spaceship four 5 year old?

Upon inspection of the interior of the vehicle, - poor quality was also observed. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    My wife and I just talked things over for weeks before deciding this and after 5 recalls.. a number of repairs and other issues with the Juke.. we elected that we had to get rid of it.. The first dealer made us an offer of $19,500 which sounded to good to be true.. but we wanted to find out more.. and again.. it was to good to be true.. this got us going and very upset. four dealers later.. we found someone willing to help us out of this "lemon" thats right "lemon". It never was the same after all those recalls and repairs.. milage plummeted.. getting only 18.2 city and 23.8 highway.. the Juke just never recovered..

Sure we both loved that little car, taking it on road trips etc.. handling was great.. but the constant issues and with her missing work having to take the juke to the dealer for repairs.. one has to weigh the pros and cons of this whole experience. As for what we got instead of the Juke?.. I can't say cause I have way to many friends here.. as the post above and below post will indicate. But let's just say.. we are out of those high payments via Capital One (Capone) and that was a main factor in getting rid of the juke in the first place.. at this point.. I'll never buy another foreign car ever again.

So word to the wise.. if it looks like a lemon.. (shape) then it's a lemon.. :lemon:

TC Steve

btw.. while at the dealer trading our juke.. I noticed two more Jukes in the dealers used car lot.. seems we aren't the only ones getting rid of Jukes these days..
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Have you replaced it with something?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,930
    I'll never buy another foreign car ever again.

Well, that certainly gives you plenty of options, such as the Honda Accord, BMW X3, Toyota Highlander, etc. :blush:

edited May 2012
    Allow me quote:

"As for what we got instead of the Juke?.. I can't say cause I have way to many friends here.. as the post above and below post will indicate." or i would have come right out and said where we ending up with..

As for the never buy another type car statement.. sure there are parts made all over the world so one can't be to sure if their car/truck is really American or not.. the point is.. we opted for something we've always needed and this new vehicle will help us when we volunteer on our friends farm. So yes our needs changed and holding onto the Juke wouldn't have fit into our life style..

Apparently when I posted this comment at the juke forums.. they had to make an effort to post where every car or truck is made etc.. As one can see someone is always read words into my sentences without really reading my sentences.. Or maybe I just haven't made myself clear.. Never the less Im out.. Thanks kyfdx.. its been real.
  • barneymbarneym Member Posts: 32
    I am pretty obsessive when it comes to buying decisions and I am about a year away from replacing my '03 Honda CR-V. After checking out most of the market I am pretty sure that the Juke is my best option given my criteria. However, I'm curious what else people might think would also fit. My criteria (in rough order of priority) are:

1. Price $30K roughly ($2K margin) in top-level trim. I would rather get a cheaper car with all the toys than a nicer car stripped.

2. Automatic Transmission (sadly - my wife needs to drive it too and she will not row her own)

3. Back seat big enough for kids / small adults. Rarely anyone else back there and our 2nd car is a Sienna.

4. AWD - life is just too busy to get stuck regardless of weather, plus I get weird food cravings during blizzards. I swap to snow tires Dec - April.

5. Different - I hate having a me too car and owning a CR-V has grated on me for almost a decade now. Obviously the Juke has this in spades.

6. Sporty - While in CA for a few months on a job I got a Mazdaspeed3 and fell in love. No way am I driving one of those in NE (and see #2) but I want some of that sense of hurry-up and go. So I'm looking for quick in a straight-line, eager to tackle corners, and the ability to play along with my game of using every clover-leaf off/on ramp as a practice skidpad.

7. Reliable & Durable - Despite the CR-V's blandness, the sucker has been beaten to hell and back and is still ticking. When it was my wife's car it went to the body shop so often that I'm on a first name basis with most of the staff (don't ask what I pay for insurance). It always starts quick, even when cold. We drive it under the worst possible conditions (Boston traffic during rush hour twice a day and is parked outside). I know Honda is known for this but I just can't stomach another CR-V especially with it's now pathetic performance.

8. Hatch / SUV - Love the flexibility and style of hatches - but this is not written in stone if it meets enough of my other wants.

9. Toys & Gadgets - I'm a tech head and so I want Bluetooth, Nav, Sat, Back-up camera's, DVD Players, Subwoofers. As much tech as can be packed in a car and I want it cheap.

10. Good factory audio - I like it loud and clear. I'm not an audiophile, but I know what does and does not sound good and I despise distortion.

11. Sunroof / Monroof - Love driving with all the windows and roof open. Who needs a convertible?

That's it. I've looked into Mazda CX-5, Mini Cooper Countryman All4, RAV4 V6, and countless others but the Juke is the best option so far. My only reservation is the small trunk but otherwise I'm sold. Thanks for reading all of this. Let your suggestions fly.
  • forensicartistforensicartist Member Posts: 1

I test drove 20 or so different vehicles.. Juke won out hands down.. Love it!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2014

Cool - we've been having fun jawing about the Juke over in Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous.

Please write up a Consumer Review too.