Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Nissan Maxima

sanishsanish Member Posts: 66
The 2011 Maxima goes on sale in August 2010.

Revisions for 2011 include:
New dark chrome grille (Sport models)
New smoked headlights (Sport models)
New rolled edge tailpipe finisher
New metallic finish for center stack, console, automatic transmission finisher, and door pulls (Sport models)
Unique shiny gray interior stitching (Sport models)
Three new exterior colors: Metallic Slate, Brilliant Silver and Pearl White

Comments

• jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    Wow nothing for the luxury package?
    Thankyou for the information.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    It looks like the only major changes are going to be for people who get the sports package for 2011. I'm anticipating the mid life refreshing for the 2012 model year. Can't wait to see the refinement and improvements and cosmetic changes Nissan makes to it!
  • uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    I bought a new Maxima S about 4 weeks ago (January 29th) and could not be happier. I think the biggest problem people have is they try to compare this car to upper level Accords/Camrys/Fusions/Sonatas and that's not where this car lives. This car is above those. The Altima is the car to compare to those cars. With a sticker of about $31k, I paid about $26.5k with 0% APR through NMAC. They advertise these cars for less, but that's with all the rebates instead of the 0%.

To me, this car compares to base versions of the Acura TL and Lexus ES350. I know they cost about $3k more (sticker) and have leather; but, the Maxima has a more powerful enigne and all the same safety features of the Acura and Lexus. The Maxima gets about the same mileage out of a more powerful engine and has nice features like keyless ignition, sun roof and 18" alloys. I am looking forward to learning mor about this car as time goes by.
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    Good perspective. I bought my new 2010 Max SV Premium Tech loaded last year and find it to be alot of car for the money. I think Nissan screwed up the sticker price and that kept me away till I figured out that they we cutting some killer deals ($5k off list on a $40 k sticker) I'm getting 28 to 29 mpg on Mid Grade Gas. The CVT takes some getting used to but the power is there when you need it! We looked at Acuras but could not hack the "Bird Beak Look" on the TL. Keep us posted on what options you add. I love the LED tail lights too.
  • maximus2011maximus2011 Member Posts: 1
    Am I the only one who HATES the CVT transmission. I have only driven the car for about a two weeks now but I cannot get past the fact that the CVT is loud and always feels sluggish. Other than that I love it, it is comfortable and rides great.
    I guess you are. Did you not drive it before you bought it? I will admit there is a very slight hesitation at first if you're light on the gas, but other than that, it is very responsive, in my opinion.

Your transmission should not be making any noise. You ought to get it looked at. Mine is silent.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Uh... if you do a search in these forums, even just on Nissan vehicles, you'll find a bunch of people who hate the CVT transmissions. We've probably seen more complaints on Nissan models than others, but it's pretty widespread.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    Nissan has extended the CVT waranty to 120,000 miles at no cost. Instead of having 5 or 6 or 7 speeds, the ratios are infinite. My 2010 maxima likes to find the most economical gear as soon as you start rolling so the engine is not turning high RPMs providing you are light on the throttle. I get incredible mileage because of this. There is a TSB that will change this behaviour so that the revs stay higher longer when driving around town. The TSB does state there will be a a 1 to 2 mpg penalty is the TSB is installed.

Unless you are coming out of a Corvette, when I stomp the gas pedal, the Max responds with loads of power and speed. We came out of a V6 Accord which never had the zip this car does.

Driving a CVT does offer a different experience. Under load when you are heavy on the gas, Power is applied at a constant higher RPM til the desired speed is reached, then the RPMs are reduced to match that mph with the most effective drive ratiio. Reminds me of how you fly a turbine jet.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I *think* I recently read that the warranty extension will not apply to 2011+ models.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Has anyone heard anything definitive regarding what is changing with the likely 2012 refresh? Also, has anyone heard if the quake/tsunami will impact manufacturing and release date?
    Hi...the question was not "What does everyone think of the Nissan CVT?" The post said this eprson bought a new Maxima two weeks prior and hates the transmission. My question to them was whether or not they drove it before they bought it. I was asking that person about their car--not everyone about CVTs in general.
    My 2011 Maxima was made in Smyrna, TN. I don't know how the quake would affect upcoming output.
  • thegamperthegamper Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2011
    Thought I would add my two cents for those who own or are considering a Maxima. I am coming out of a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 which I sold due to some recurring mechanical failings. In any event, I wanted a more adult car but didnt want to buy from a luxury brand. Cant have my employers thinking I make too much money. So I have always been a Maxima fan and got a 2011 SV with camera and climate. Unfortunately, current models arent available with a manual, so I had to bite the bullet and buy autotragic for the first time in 19 years, my wife was pleased. I am actually quite fond of the CVT as far as automatics go and believe you get a bit more out of a Nissan's CVT than you would a standard automatic. Holding the optimal RPM from a standstill to top speed is pretty cool IMO and probably shaves a few tenths off of 0-60.

Granted I am coming out of a more dedicated sports sedan, but I find Nissan's 4DSC claim to be somewhat bunk. I put my cars through heavy abuse with some "spirited" driving. So I appreciate the acceleration of the Maxima, which does a great job of managing torque stear and wheelspin considering all the power going to the front. AWD would have been great, and in my humble opinion, you cannot have a sports sedan without some power going to the rear. Anway, I find that suspension is not very well tuned and I feel out of control at speeds in excess of a hypothetical 80 mph. The chassis bounces and sways over uneven road surfaces at speed, there is all together too much rebound on the rear wheels giving a sensation of the back end going loose. The steering is overboosted with too much play as the Maxima floats and jiggles over road imperfections. But it hangs on. Still, I would prefer a more confidence inspiring setup. For the sake of comparison, my old Mazdaspeed6 was glued to the road with only a slightly harsher ride and my wife's Ford Flex actually has noticably better steering feel/chassis composure at speeds than the Maxima. (Seriously!)

On a side note, at this price, Xenon headlights should be standard. Sirrius would also be nice at least for introductory period. Car is comfortable and easy on the eyes. I am averaging 20-21 mpg on 93 octane with an admittedly heavy foot. Aside from the suspension, my biggest complaint is the fit of the rear trunklid, which seems all out of whack. I am a harsh critic I suppose, love cars, love to drive. Overall pleased with the Maxima, but definitely room for improvement.
    I think you're feeling the effects of the Maxima being FWD. If you have gone with a RWD "premium" brand, you would have had a ride you would have been happier with, IMO.

I love my 2011 Maxima. I think the majority of buyers will be very pleased with the performance. If you're coming out of a Sentra/Civic/Corolla type car or even moving over from cars like Accord and Camry, the Maxima offers a very pleasing driving experience, IMO.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I agree with you on the 4DSC claims on the 7th Gen Maxima that Nissan has. Don't get me wrong, I like the call, but the FWD and CVT combo prevents the Max from being a true 4DSC like the G37 or 3-Series.

Now, that is not to say the Maxima does not have some sporty performance, handling, and other characteristics to it then a lot of other cars so Nissan would have been better to brand it as a sporty family sedan which is what it really is. It does a nice job of bridging the gap in the middle of boring family sedans like the Accord and Camry with the lux sport sedans like the G and 3-Series.
  • barkinsbarkins Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2011
    I'm a new owner of a 2011 Nissan Maxima and so far I have about 200 miles on the car.

I recently noticed that when I drive on harsh roads, there is a distinct slight vibration that comes through the gas pedal.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or is it normal? Or perhaps something to do with the break-in period?

Thank you in advance.
    I've never noticed anything like that. I'd have that looked at.
  • maximasvinrimaximasvinri Member Posts: 2
    Disregard all the negative reviews on these sites, because they are written by the 2% of people who prefer to sit in traffic with a manual trans, (check sales statistics). As someone who loves driving, loves tech and engineering that goes in to the latest cars, I am sick of hearing all these magazines and "car critics" like RWD only and manuals. I get it! It is true, RWD will have better overall dynamics, but for the average person who wants a comfortable ride to work, with all the nice options and a punchy quick motor, this car MORE than satisfies the bill of 99% of us out there. The handling limits are still more than most people will dare to test, and that same 99% of us will never be on a racetrack.

Fact is, for those of us who get snowy winters, a RWD simply cannot be reliable to get me to work or wherever I have to go. At the end of the day, if you're looking for a comfortable, sharp-looking quick sedan, with surprisingly good gas milage and all the bells and whitstles, this is a great fit. This car is still very capable of being fun to drive, and will get the job done, day in and day out.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Very well said, couldn't agree with you more on both auto vs. manual and RWD vs FWD. I live in a hilly, snowy area and do lots of local stop and go driving. RWD and manual is actually a deal-killer for me!
  • omie_toromie_tor Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased the Maxima and have been overall happy. However driving in high traffic and city roads i have noticed when under 2000RPM and around 10-65km i feel vibration through the paddle to a point where i can feel in the center console. I know there is TSB for 2009-2010 models, has anyone with the 2011 faced the same issue.

I took to the dealership and said it is normal for the vibration at those parameters, and no TSB exits for 2011 vehicle.

Thanks,
    I agree 100%. While the critics may be right, 99% of us will never really be able to take full advantage of having more performance than what our Maximas provide.
  • jeffb12jeffb12 Member Posts: 2
    I've read the comments with the negative/positive comparisons. Let's erase confusion. This is the best front wheel drive sporty sedan. Now, It isn't an Infiniti, BMW or Lexus but it is head and shoulders above Imapala, Accord, Camry and Sonata. Do yourself a favor with test drive. I'm not a Nissan spokes person but this is my 3rd Maxima. Had a 1995, 2002, and now 2011. I've driven peanut cars, SUVs and tanks (in the Army) and the Maxima is my favorite. You can get the S model for under 25K (brand new), try that with a crappy Audi A4. I actually do like Volkswagon products but...
  • thegamperthegamper Member Posts: 9
    Looks like I got a little hate from the "lets be realistic crowd". Thats OK, I agree with some of your posts. The Maxima has grown on me quite a bit. I have become accustomed to the way it handles and it feels a bit more natural now. Still think rear suspension has too much rebound and trucklid has effed up fit. But dig the power, I have learned to manage the reasonable amount of torque steer that the Maxima has. In the end, I got exactly what I wanted, a great deal on a entry luxury sedan that is not totally without some elements of fun infused in the driving experience. Hopefully, you guys didnt get my previous post confused with "hating". It is a great car, but I still think it silly to call it a sports car in any respect. It is true, that most of the time and most of the people will never push a car anywhere near its limits, but there are some, like myself, that like to turn every commute into an adventure. While the Maxima is a fun playdate, I cant help but miss the involvement of a manual transmission and joy of inducing oversteer :) You cannot blame me for lusting after the last of the manuals before they are gone forever from everything with more than 2 seats. But for now, the Maxima is serving up hearty servings of what I need/want in a car and would recommend picking one up to anybody who is in the market for a new FWD Sedan.
  • ssyed216ssyed216 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

Just wanted to see if someone could help me with this problem. I have two pieces of something hanging from the bottom of my car. One piece feels like a piece of felt and the other like a string made out of plastic.

Questions
    Has anyone had this problem with their Maxima?
    Does anyone know what it is?
    Is it okay if I cut the two pieces?

I do have a picture of it but unfortunately can't upload it here.