Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Volkswagen Jetta

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    There was a recent review on the Jetta where I read that Fizzmall is offering $2,000.00 discounts off MSRP. I have heard you can do that where I live, in Southern California as well.

So, that $2,000.00 is not a free lunch and it's being taken from "somewhere" and not being absorbed by the dealer.

My advice to you, is to complete the lease on the G6 before buying/leasing anything else.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    lol. Yes. That would be my plan. However, I do NOT want to be billed for the excess mileage. I am already 500 or so miles away from being over! Lease is not up until next July. I don't want to owe anything to that company. They mentioned that they helped trade someone else out of their GM and were able to substantially discount their negative balance. I will obviously know if it is rolled into the deal based on the sale price. $2,000 compared to where I was before is pretty good. Especially on a car that does not exist anymore. I really don' want to trade right this instant, but if it means avoiding a huge problem with GM. I'll do it.

Apparently, I am still billed for the mileage if I trade before my end date. So I do not want that to happen.

I did see that the SE does not come with Navigation. Not a huge deal, as I used my phone for that. But, it does come with a really nice entertainment system! A bigger screen than the navi equipped model. Many nice features for a nice price! But, I will miss the remote start I have on my G6!!

Also, I don't believe the it comes with Auto headlights either. Which in this day in age should be standard. Even, the new Corrola Rental I drove had it. Not, a big deal.
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    I see it exists on the SE trim. But is it standard for the S model? Locking glove box?
    Anyone know?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Given that he thinks in terms of how much per month, absorbing negative equity, and how much is rolling (or not rolling) into the next deal, I don't think he was looking for advice on how to be financially prudent. He'd rather believe in dealer magic.

I do know that for the Golf the alternative to the 60 month, 0% was $1500 dealer cash last month. So if they have something like that going on the Jetta, it would explain a $2000 discount from MSRP.
    lol
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    I'm curious why you think drum brakes on the rear is such a weak spot?
    They are cheaper to buy, maintain, have better parking brake abilities, and have no shortage of braking power on a rear axle. Discs may be a little better suited in combination with SC systems, but even that is a weak argument for them on a car meant for street use. Don't go along with the hype without really knowing the whys behind it is my advice. (i'm saying this more to others, as you already seem to have your mind made up)
    What's so great about electric steering? I hope you aren't saying that just because u buy all the hype. There are numerous electric steering cars that have weird handling anomalies that they can fix yet. I am glad to know they have retained hydraulic. I am also glad to be able to have drum rear brakes. It is not a race car on the track. Drums on rear axles are cheaper to own and use and are much better suited for your average car owner. Rear rotors is still more hype.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Don't know about the brake issues. However, I thought electrical steering is supposed to be better because it doesn't ZAP the small amount of horse power (or drag-if you will) from the motor? Just asking.
    that's true but only to a lesser extent than they would have us believe, but think about it...the only time there is drag is in parking or slow turning maneuvers. And on the "problems with Equinox" forum they are saying that just turning the wheel will lower the engine rpm (because it is taxing the alternator) so these electric systems use a fair amt of power under those conditions. The fact is, electric costs less to manufacture (which increases their bottom line) and is lighter (which helps them get better mpg figures). On that Equinox forum you will also read about frozen and stuck electric steering issues that GM can't figure out. There are others on other forums too. Technology can be a wonderful thing, but first it has to be perfected and proven better, but also the buyer needs to read between the lines and realize that often change evolves around the almighty dollar. It 's not always in our best interest.
    edited November 2010
    I have seen no reports of problems with VW's electric power steering. We have an early 2005 Jetta 2.5 and had several other problems but there have been no issues with the steering system. If electric power steering is done right, I would think it would also be cheaper to maintain as there is no possibility of problems with fluid leaks from the pump, hoses, rack.

Nothing wrong with hydraulic, but I thought the electric was an advantage. I thought the big issue with electric power steering has been that it is typically over-boosted and lacking in feel (see GM), but VW did not have those issues.

In addition to mentioning a 4-8% fuel savings, this article points out the the hoses and pump are frequently the source of power steering problems (53 per cent of all power steering warranty claims are from pump and hose problems)

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Electric-Power-Steering/A_110661/article.html
    I wasn't stating VW had probs, just generally, electric can be prone to them. And they are still new. Wait till corrosion issues surface.

re those 53% stats, I suspect it from people holding the wheel tight against the lock, as you hear the pump bypass squealing and squawking. Owner error and ignorance.
    But I admit that is one benefit of electric, and can certainly be addressed easily with electric as they can just not have that area of the grid on the rack, powered. (as in, with no voltage)
    Well, I have replaced one pump, two racks, and a hose on a 1997 Ford with 130,000 miles and the new pump is making noises. I do not agree with your assumption that the operators of the vehicle are to blame.

I do think you are mistaken that electric is more prone to problems. There are many more sources of potential problem in the hydraulic systems.

You can say that you do not care about the downgrades that VW has made or say that you think the cost savings is worth it, but why do you feel you need to attempt to sell these things as advantages? I might accept a car with rear drums, no IRS, and hydraulic power steering but that does not mean that the car better than the same car with rear discs, IRS, and a good electric power steering system.
    since i do all (and pay of course) my own mechanical work and have had numerous cars with and without rear rotors, I prefer drums from a cost stand point. I think that is what i said in the beginning. If i indicated inferiority with rotors, it was due to cars that sit often a week or more at a time and then u have just one more set of rotors that score long before they are actually worn out in thickness. Never had that problem with drums. Drums do tend to be a bit more grabby in humid wx, but I also addressed that when I said that rotors are better suited in use with ESC.

I have only had one hydraulic issue in every car I have ever had. It was a rusted line on my old Pathfinder. I think it happened around the 220000 mile mark. Our roads are heavily salted here in winter. Still it didn't leave me stranded. I removed the belt going to it (the joys of pre-serpentine) and drove 2 hours home. It is when people drive with a leak and do nothing about it, is when they take the pump out, and it can happen fast. So again is why i said operator error or ignorance (just don't know any better)
  • fho2008fho2008 Member Posts: 393
    Do a brake job on a disc or drum, what one is easier? All the downgrades on the Jetta VI are sad.

I know Jetta has been VW's sales leader, and someone who paid alot of money for that piece of paper that says they are smart may just get the last laugh if they sell a ton of Jetta VI's.

I brought my Jetta V in for service and noticed some '10 TDI's on the lot, talked to my salesman who has a TDI Jetta V.....his opinion is that you want a '10 if you can get one!
    They don't even offer the Jetta with TDI in Cda this year. I noticed other cars coming with straight axles in the rear also. I bet it has to do with keeping the price down, while offering more and more electronic goodies like Bluetooth, USB etc etc and all the extra airbags that cars have now.

Remember years ago, Honda dumped the dbl wishbone suspension on the front of their Civics? That was cost cutting in a blatant way.
    So how about my question, what brake job is easier.....disc or drum?? And I do know the answer......DISC!
    well if you knew, why did you ask?

You obviously haven't re and re'd ones that house wheel bearings, or special parking brake interior drums that are hard to get to and next to impossible to service if they have been neglected. On many vehicles a set of drums and shoes will outlast 3 or even 4 pair of rotors. Corrosion from sitting between uses, degrades a disc fast. Drums are way more immune to this.
    Because you called me on it, I responded, and you tried to ignore the question.

Disc brakes have many advantages, but if you love drum brakes, put em on front and rear! Oh wait, they stopped making cars like that DECADES ago!
    You suffer from selective reading.

I didn't ignore it, I already covered that in previous posts. Why should I repeat myself just for you?

I thought you were trying to have a rational conversation about drums on a REAR AXLE vs discs regarding servicing and COSTS involved.

Nevermind, I now realize I'm conversing with someone much than myself, and you're not really interested in a normal exchange of info here.
  • baseline1baseline1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I have 2001 Jetta VR6. And I just found that I had coolant leaking problem.

When I checked it, I located the parts which is like the part shown in the link below:
    http://www.bizrate.com/automotive-parts/oid726644457.html

Is it the water pump? Is it the only water pump in this model. Somebody said there possible one model has two different water pumps.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    The discription for that part says it is for the TURBOCHARGED engine.... not the VR6.

However - I beleive both the turbo and VR6 engine are actually AUDI engines. They may share some components.
  • baseline1baseline1 Member Posts: 6
    Can somebody tell whether it is water pump? Is it the only one in Jetta.

Thanks,
    A Jetta has 4 choices of engine... I can tell you it is NOT on the TDI engine nor the 2.0L gas engine.
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    There is no button to turn off traction control - is there some other way to do so? I got my 07 Jetta stuck in deep snow and was unable to move, because the traction control wouldn't let me spin my way out. Finally, I thought to turn off the ASR and I was able to work my way out. If I can't turn it off on the 2011 car, I can't buy it. Does anyone know if there is a more obscure way to turn it off?
    A stone hammer?

I absolutely hate TC and know no one who thinks otherwise.

Any mfg that has it, but without a switch to allow the owner to turn it off, doesn't deserve to enjoy sales.

My AWD CRV is useless on a hill in 6" of snow...until i turn off the TC.
    Without that switch I would not have bought the car and won't no matter how much I might like it otherwise.

If the stone hammer is not to your liking, pull a fuse in a bind?
    Traction control is part of the ESP system. Is there a button to turn off ESP?
    You said ==> "I thought to turn off the ASR and I was able to work my way out."

HUH?!? --- ASR (Anti-Slip Regulation) *is* part of the what you are calling "traction control" It retards the throttle to reduce wheelspin.

Dont confuse ASR with EDL (Electronic Differential Lock) which applies brake on the wheel which is spinning to force tourque to other wheel.

Both ASR and EDL, coupled with some other systems work together in concert to make up the "traction control" system.... the button on the dashboard disables all of them.
    I guess if TC is done right.

Is there a switch to turn it off on the 2011 Jetta/Golf? I am confused. As soon as I read earlier it didn't have one, I immediately took it off my list of cars to check out with good seats.

Acronyms are great if you know what they all stand for, but with so many cars and forums cross checking each others features it sure can get confusing. I appreciated you bracketing their meaning. So my opinion of ASR is very low. That must be how it works on the majority of any car I have tried it on or heard/read reviews of not being able to negotiate a slippery hill until they turned it off. If it works at all, it must be only at high speeds with very powerful engines and clueless heavy-foots.

But that EDL...now that sounds useful.

I once amused a chap that was stuck with his 2WD Dodge Dakota in the snow. I asked if he used his emergency brake all the time and that if i applied it he wasn't concerned it would stick on. He said no, he uses it always. So I got behind the wheel and applied it lightly, put in drive, applied a bit of throttle till the one side slipped, let off throttle, pressed another click, then one more click and that was what was needed to transfer torque to the tire with traction. He was thrilled to learn that trick and few people know about it.
  • superslifsuperslif Member Posts: 5
    I originally test drove a 2.5L a month ago, as the dealer didn't have any 2.0's to test drive. Today they finally had one (2.0L) to test drive. I was disappointed, 115 HP. was not enough to get her moving without the tranny hunting for gears. There was a real dead spot between 10 mph and 20, as the RPM's went hair-wire.....The 2.0 feels cheap.....I just don't think it is mated up to the 6 speed automatic transmission very well. The price-point of the S with the 2.0L and automatic is the same as the Toyota Corolla LE, the other car were looking at. We have a 03' Corolla with 80k trouble-free miles.
    And way too much plastic.....On the positive side...nice size trunk, good legroom, good visibility....seats seems OK...
    Thats the el-cheapo MK VI

Way to ruin the Jetta Name VW.

Maybe you, VW, will realise your mistake, but if sales go up, you wont.

Its not a bad dream, its on sale now.
    It gets better.... now that most vehicles have 4-wheel ABS (Antolock Braking System) it is a simple matter of adding some yaw-sensors and some computer-logic to get a result which is MUCH more than the sum of its parts.

Imagine this.... Now that the ABS system 'knows' the rpm of each of the wheels and has the ability apply the brake at ANY ONE WHEEL individually. The steering-angle-sensor 'knows' which way the wheels are pointed. This means that you vehicle can tell when it is about to start sliding sideways and then gently apply the brake on the proper wheel(s) to save you from sliding off the road.

What is this magical system? VW calls it ESP (Electronic Stability Program). I can attest, after lots of testing it in snow-covered parking-lots. It really works like majic. I am not able to make my Jetta skid sideways... it is as if the hand of God himself reaches down and 'saves' me every time I try to force a skid.

The engineers at Bosch (Bosch makes many of the VW ABS components) have implemented all kinds of cool 'goodies' into their ABS sytems.

Check out this cool video which demonstrates ESP in action
    I am so close to pulling the trigger! I am really seeing a huge difference in look between the cornsilk and black interior. The tan looks much better than the black. The tan looks more complete and doesn't look cold or just too plain like the black. Those wanting a more upscale look, take a look at the tan. I never really did until now. It looks better! Higher end!

:)
    Wow, were really busy here...lol. Also, what do you all think about the white gold metallic? I am actually liking it. It comes with the cornsilk interior.
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Sorry, not for me. I'm waiting for red exterior, black interior, to replace old car with the same color scheme. I guess I'm not the clean-as-a-whistle type.
    I used to own a Jetta with tan interior, what a pain to clean, especially if you have young children in the family or messy friends/relatives. It's like having a white carpet in your living room. A spill here or there, "accidents", clumsy passengers, you name it.
    Good luck, and enjoy your new ride.
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    Anyone driven the 2.0 S with a manual tranny? I'm curious how this combo drives. The 8 valve motor has traditionally had a lot of torque down low which makes it feel peppy off the line and around town but quickly loses steam when you rev it. If this has been kept intact on this model, it may not be a bad basic car. I notice VW's website claims the 2.0 manual will do 0-60 in 9.8 sec but Car and Driver recently achieved 11.0 seconds. If it can actually get to 60 in 9.8 sec, I wouldn't mind looking at one. It might remind me of my old 84 GTI, but much larger and with a trunk.

While I don't agree with all of VW's decontenting to lower the price, I am glad to see VW actually offering something affordable again. They have had their heads stuck in the clouds of high prices too long and have forgotten that VW started as a "people's car". They need to let Audi offer luxury and instead concentrate on offering Euro flavored affordable cars. They really need to bring the Polo over too.
    Yeah Polo and MORE DIESELS 70mpg 3cyl? They wouldnt be able to keep em in stock!
    Yes, while I see their point to lowering the price. They are taking a huge risk by doing this. I am not sure they took a step forward. And I am even about to lease a new loaded Jetta SE. But, VW is not an average american car. So trying to americanize it is not going to help. Sacrificing that VW quality is a bit disappointing. If I wanted GM, I would keep my current GM car.

There were plenty of people buying the previous Jetta at its price point. You still creep up really high in price if you want a loaded Jetta. The base is what is really low in price. But, it looks pretty stripped down. The previous model looked decent in a base model too. The new model doesn't so much.

I am disappointed that they didn't offer a trim with 2.0T from the start. The engine is already made within VW. I can tell you that many would go for that right away. I would!! The color red!! This would sell really well!!

So I think the Jetta will be a nice pick for those who want a well rounded car, but VW needs to be extremely careful. Leave the others models in their line up alone! lol.

About to pull the trigger on a Jetta SE, sunroof, convenience.
    Leaning towards the white gold.
    I finally made up my mind and leased a 2011 Jetta SE, conv,sunrf. I decided on the white gold with the cornsilk interior. It was to me that best out of the colors. My mother is getting a white model so I didn't want to have the same color. :) I am getting the windows tinted as well. It should look really sharp!!

The white gold is really unique. It is metallic, so at times it looks silver. Then, it looks tanish gold but with a silver metallic look. It looks different each time of the day or if you look at it from different angles. It is really cool! Not many around like this. I think it looks really classy!

The RCD 510 Premium 8 sound system is awesome! Bluetooth, cd changer, voice dialing, commands. It is going to be awesome! Recommended.

I think I made the right choice.
    Congrats on this! Keep us posted with likes, dislikes, fuel mileage etc.
    How many years, 4?
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Just saw an article saying gas will cost $ 4 per gallon this year. If that happens, more people will probably opt for the TDI, and either the prices for the gas models will go down, or dealers will demand premium for the TDI. Just saying...
    Yes, I hear you..TDI's here in Cda already demand a premium. I think sales are about only 500 to 600 less than full List.

I do not believe the electrical revolution is the ultimate answer for all mkts in NA, especially the colder climates. And also, the EPA FE tests are skewed and do not really reflect real-world use. Astute hybrid owners would realize this, but whether they admit it or not is another story.

Instead, I think we should be demanding more turbo diesels. Get the Polo over here. And the diesel powered Chevy Cruze, and the diesel powered Ford C Max Mazda5-sized, people hauler. And so many other wonderful and very efficient diesel options that are common-place in EU.
    Some of our prayers have been answered. I just noticed that Edmunds has info up on the 2012 Polo. They tentatively have the MSRP set at $16200. Not sure how accurate that is, but they said both 4 and 2 door models are coming (there IS a God!). 1.4 and 1.6 motors are listed with the possibility of a 1.6 turbodiesel! VW has FINALLY got something right. Interesting that VW might be pricing the Jetta as the cheapest model though....I think I just found my next car...a 2 door Polo GTI (I've got my fingers crossed they bring it!). Hello reincarnated 2012 version of my old 84 Rabbit GTI!
    Hello Everyone!

I have about 350 miles on my new 2011 Jetta. I think I made the right choice! I am really starting to appreciate the car. Though, I do think it has been using more gas than normal, but it is still very new. It will get better I am sure. The build quality is great. The areas of a bit cheaper quality plastic is here and there, but to be honest can be found on my cars anyway. The dash is a bit shiny and could see why one wouldn't like it. It really needs to be more of a matte finish. Its okay. Not a big deal or really going to be noticed.

Also, I noticed around the door handle there is gap where I think this is all glued together. I can see the glue ever so slightly in extreme sun light. I am sure not anyone is going to notice, but I did. But, I pay attention to detail. It doesn't look bad, but odd.

The entertainment system is amazing! I am going to love it. So simple and offers just about any way to listen to music. You can stream bluetooth music, SD card, CD changer, ipod, Surius, Aux. Plus, if I get a phone call it will ring and I can talk. Voice dialing is cool once I get the hang of the commands.

My family members noticed the nice roomy back seat. That is going to be nice.

Also, I am still wondering if I leave my lights on, if they will turn off after awhile. My G6 had auto lights and I sorta miss it! Even the base corolla has it. I will miss my remote start! It is a bit cold!

I totally feel like I am driving a much more expensive car! It feels upscale from the tan interior to the white gold exterior. I plan to get the windows tinted. It will look awesome! The engine is night and day compared to my G6. So refined and strong. Not to mention the Sport option and shifting option. It will be fun to drive this spring!

The new Jetta is also rated very safe too and my maintenance is paid for. That is great!

I will post more as I drive more.
  • phissithphissith Member Posts: 6
    Hey gang,

I just purchased a 2011 CANDY WHITE Jetta 2.0L Model S with following options, 16" Steel wheel rather than standard 15" and a complete 4 Rubber mats and trunk liner. The purchase price was $16748 include $750 rebate and $770 destination fee with no money down. Would you guys consider this a good deal? Let me know thanks. I know that for model S with out the 16" wheels and mats invoice was $16411 before rebate and destination fee.

Please let me know feed back, I would appreciated. Just either punch myself on the head or pat myself on the back..... :blush:
    Oh, follow up to my post. That was $16718, not $16748.

Just wanted to say that anyone out there hesitant to purchased a 2.0L model....don't be. On (D) yeah I must admit as I told the seller who was sitting next to me while doing a test drive that it was way under power even for typical 4 cylinder engine. I should know I have 2010 Equinox with 4 cyl, but once I discover the joy of using sport mode on the shifter, hell...drop it down to 4th and usually does the trick and very entertaining. Also 3rd gear for extra ooomph but usually I reserved that for a fast/fun drive, not necessary require for highway pass 4th gear does just fine. For stop light however you will want to start on 2nd gear and shift immediately to 3rd and so forth. I also like to down shift action, just like manual but with out the clutch!! So again, if you think SE is too much over your price range don't overlook the 2.0L. Test drive and play with the sport shift, you will like it. :P
    Please keep us informed on gas mileage and how you like it. How is the ride and handling?
    Sure will, but I haven't fill it up my first tank yet.
    The Jetta 5 cylinder engine is night and day in comparison to the GM 4cyl. So much more refined. It does not seem to upshift as much, if at all when going up a slight hill. If it does, then you really don't tell. Much more power, but technically it doesn't. It feels much more powerful.

I cannot wait until I can take it out on the interstate!! The suspension is so much more forgiving than the G6. The whole car has much more confidence.

But, I really miss the remote start and automatic lights. But, no deal breaker.
  • dub_ladydub_lady Member Posts: 3
    I was impressed with the 2.5L too. It seems like that little engine puts out a ton of torque and that is why it drives so well.
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I have a 2009 Jetta which as manual headlights (no auto on). I left them on one day by accident, and they do turn off after a period of time. I would think that VW kept this same feature on the new model.

Glad you are enjoying the 2011. My 2009 is great, and when the time comes to get a new one, I am sure the first place I will look is at the VW dealer for a new Jetta.

Bel Air Car Guy