Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Volkswagen Jetta

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I filled up my tank last saturday. I am only at a half a tank. Keep in mind I normally have to fill up once a week. So I am already seeing a notice in better gas mileage. It is so efficient and the fact it has 6 gears! Everyday, I begin to think I made the right choice! Took me about 2 months to pick a car.

Good to know about the headlights! :)
  • phissithphissith Member Posts: 6
    Hi guys,

I haven't had this Candy White Jetta for a week and my wife happen to run into a deer :( Nothing serious just the fact that bumper is misaligned.
    Luckily she is okay!!!! She is in a safe car! That is a bummer though :(
  • rbgentile1rbgentile1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2011 Jetta. Purchased it in November. The driver & passenger side windows have a slight whistle. I had the car into the dealership twice and VW corp. has been involved. I was just told that this is the characteristic of the vehicle. I'm not sure how to feel about that. Is anyone else having this same problem?
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Regarding this:
    Anti-slip regulation (ASR)
    Engine Braking Assist (EBA)
    Electronic Differential Lock (EDL)
    Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

I was reading a C&D review that said "and a simpler stability-control program that can no longer be shut off or even reduced. "

Can you guys tell me if the 2011's still have ASR and EDL? And if so please check your manual and tell me if it does have a switch or not to be able to turn it off. I live on an AWD hill, but am trying to test FWD cars that might be in the running for making it up my hill in the winter. The nearest VW dealer is quite the drive so trying to find this out online first.

I know from experience that even with my AWD, there are certain times that the traction control has to be turned off in order to get up the hill. If it were FWD i know that TC would have to be turned off 100% of the time because it is so useless and does nothing but interfere unless you are doing highway speeds when it is slippery and using cruise (which people shouldn't do in the first place) If a car has TC and it uses cutting engine power as part of its processing, and it really can't be turned off or deactivated below a certain slow speed, (say 25mph) then that car is useless to me at any price.
    This dealer response you got is easily addressed by driving a different demo car like yours.

If it doesn't whistle, then you can look at them and not even have to say a word.
    Plus you will know that in future, you can't trust everything that comes out of their mouth. Before you condemn the delaer tho, I would get at least 2 different opinions from the dealer, so that you aren't condemning them due to one bad representative that should be fired.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    Regarding mariobgoode's thoughts that $4 gasoline in the U.S. might spur TDI sales, I was filling up our '10 Sportwagen TDI and a woman at an adjacent pump was grimacing over gasoline prices. When I suggested she look at a diesel, she said, "But diesel fuel costs even more!" I responded by saying that diesel fuel costs 10% to 15% more than gasoline (in my area), but that our TDI gets 30% to 40% better fuel economy. I'm not sure how VW, MB and BMW should be educating potential buyers, but they need to. Many potential buyers are excited about hybrids, but know nothing about the many merits of diesels, including the fact that our Sportwagen is a blast to drive in a way that no Prius will ever be. :D
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    Just bought mine two days ago and no whistling window noise at all. Car is quieter inside than Honda 2009 Accord I got rid of. My last three Accords have been terrible inside with the tire noise on highway.

You cannot turn off ASR. I was concerned about this but called dealer in Minnesota where they have snow all year long and asked about this and he said their ASR called VSA on Honda actually works and does not totally kill the throttle so you cannot give the car any gas at all like some do and you have to turn them off or you will never move. I will find out tomorrow as I have a hill also that I could not even move 1 inch in Honda CRV I also had 2007 unless I turned of VSA or equivalent of ASR on Jetta. It is a TDI and coming out of Honda for years I see no downgrade in quality it is much quieter as I said, and fit and finish and much tighter and sportier drive than my 4 door Accord. My daughter has Coupe Accord and it always felt like a sportier drive not sure if suspension was same but the 2011 TDI is great. Mileage unbelievable as get 38 without trying in mixed driving and upper 40's in brief highway trips I have made.
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for this post! The torque of that TDI will deliver giggles for years, I am confident. I sure hope they are as dependable as the old ones as I too am trying to rationalize the extra price of admission. even tho i don't drive as much. It's just I love diesels.

A few coincidences here as I too have a 'noisy' CRV with a seat that hurts my back. Interior noise and that seat are two reasons I am car shopping even tho my car would literally last me the rest of my years I think. I too have had to turn my VSA off in certain conditions, so I am glued to this thread to hear about your findings tomorrow.

Also glad to hear about the no whistling. The other poster should check for obvious signs of rubber moulding irregularities where it meets the metal door trim.

Congrats on the new ride!
    I have similar whistle. Not a huge deal, but it is a bit noticeable. I wouldn't call it annoying, but my G6 didn't even have a whistle. Though, the cabin is so quiet and collected. I feel so calm and confident in the car.

I might ask what is causing the whistle, but not anything yet to get upset with. Though, it is so early that time will need to be out a little longer for people to review it.

I am not even worried about it.
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    Re: 2011 Jetta TDI Automatic/DSG it is called on this car.
    We got 8 inches of snow this morning and more coming. The roads were plowed but very slippery in my subdivision and you could sled down the streets. Went up the dreaded hill that the CRV could not make it up without turning off VSA and the Jetta was amazing. You cannot turn off the ASR on 2011 Jetta, so had to find out for myself how this worked. It was no problem and I think better than the 2007 CRV with VSA turned off. I tried to make it slip by gunning the engine some and when it activated the ASR it did not disable the throttle and leave you sitting on the hill it just seemed to cut power for a milli-second to the wheel that was slipping the most and I continued up the hill. This should be of no concern to anybody about tuning that off from my expierence. My concern was that if wheels started spinning and you could not turn off ASR you would be just stuck like at a stop light on a slick hill with people behind you. But no problem it just took off great. Again listend for noise on drive and not going that fast but no noise at all just very quiet, no whistle.
    Your CRV was FWD only right? Not AWD?

That is good to know about the ASR then. Sounds like their system works well.

The TDI engine is a fairly heavy engine. Quite a bit heavier than the CRV engine which is aluminum block. You should see the con rods in a TDI. They are huge. And heavy. So with that weight out front, and with a good TC that actually works, I'm not surprised it did better than a FWD CRV.
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    Just bought my daughter the S with automatic. No, it isn't fast, but it is more than adequate in just about any situation for a non-enthusiast. Drove the car 120 miles this morning at 80+ and it was smooth, quiet and comfortable.
  • rbgentile1rbgentile1 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    Believe me I've tried to give the dealership a chance. The dealership is saying that there is nothing that they can do about the "whistling" and that they have other vehicles on the lot that do the same thing. I never had a vehicle with this problem and think a brand new vehicle, though could have some noise, should not make a whistling sound! I'm sending in a complaint to VW Corp.!
    "and that they have other vehicles on the lot that do the same thing. "

ahhh! Their words though! Surely you must allow for the fact that if you don't test drive one of them yourself, you might be being lied to.
    A lot can happen to a new car you know.

I'll give you an example of something I saw one day and was able to follow up on due to having business at the dealer in other ways. I saw a brand "x" car fall off the rails of the delivery truck years ago. It got jammed between the sides of the truck. The whole top of the door and roofline was crunched, glass broken etc etc. Well long story short, that car went to their inhouse body shop, was 'repaired' and sold as a new car! And the poor victim/owner of that 'new' car might wonder why it whistled too.

Things happen we never find out about.

I'm not saying this happened to your car of course. I am only saying, that if they have nothing to hide, then then insist on driving one of the other new cars there to for yourself if it whistles. Good luck.
    Does anyone know if I have to absolutely screw in the front license plate holder? I know that on my Accord I was able to screw it in at the bottom and didn't have to pierce holes into the bumper which I will NOT do.

Thanks
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Well, you could always be a renegade and go without the front plate :) . My wife has a 2005.5 Jetta and asked the dealer not to install the front plate, in 5.5 years this has not been a problem. I have noticed that at least 10% of cars around here are driving around "illegally" with no front plate.

But won't the dealer install the front plate bracket, unless you tell them not to?
    It is not required here where I live, but rather just curious because I have really cool florida plates that I would like to use, only if I do not have to puncture the bumper. It is really no big deal. I just had one on my accord and didn't have to damage the car to do it.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    In California they have raised all the fines for violations due to the sad state of financial affairs.

VC5200 improper display (i.e. non-display)of license plates $178.00

Here is another - VC22454(A) Passing a school bus with Red lights flashing $616.00
    I think it is over $200 here for not displaying plates. My guess is in most cases they would just give a warning, if anything, for not displaying the front plate. It does give them the opportunity to pull you over at any time, with the excuse being that they did so due to the lack of a front plate.

I was stopped once for speeding in my wife's car. The cop did not even mention the lack of a front plate.
    2011 Jetta Observation:

I have noticed that I can see it light up through the glass. The light itself doesn't appear to be flush with the glass. There is a gap between the glass allowing the red light to glow a bit through the glass. You can see it light up each time you brake. Not really anything annoying, but I do think it is an oversight. I am driving my mom's 08 Jetta SE today and it is not like that. I guess it could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you view it. You'll know your braking!
    I see a reflection of the center brake light on my Mercedes C300, so its not a cost-cutting issue, more likely the shape of the glass or the type of lighting use.

The more I drive my daughter's 2011 Jetta S, the more I like it. We took a family trip in her car yesterday and drove about 300 miles, with my daughter and I splitting the driving. Everyone was extremely comfortable, the ancient and wheezy engine had no trouble whatsoever pulling the Jetta and three passengers over "The Grapevine" (4122' mountain pass North of Los Angeles) at 75, and I was able to really stretch out and relax in the back seat.

I can't think of any other $16,000 car that would be anywhere near as comfortable or competent. Most accelerate faster, but acceleration is only one measure of performance, and it wasn't long ago that 11 seconds 0-60 was considered quick.
    Really? Okay well good. It wasn't anything bad, but just thought it was odd for the light to be shining back.

Yes, I have the 2011 Jetta SE and it feels so much more expensive than it is. Plus, it looks more expensive. I got the white gold with the cornsilk interior and it looks amazing! In the sun it looks silver, in clouds its more tan gold, but its always changing. It has a metallic to it! The interior feels solid and feature packed. I still have to make an appt to drop it off at the dealer to get officially "delivered" as I didn't want them to prep it in the snow. It would be pointless.
    They need to show me how to work the voice commands and features of the stereo!

I am really loving my car. It is quick, I haven't pushed it all that hard, its cold and new. I am really easy on my cars anyway. But, the engine is night and day between the 4cyl G6 I had. It is an easy car to drive!! Sit back and cruise. I cannot wait to take it on a road trip. The rear seating is so spacious!! Though at 38 for the rear leg room, that is good. My G6 had 37 I think, The trunk is great!! We can pack a lot in there! I have noticed this car warms up faster than my G6. The seats warm quick.

I made the right choice, it truly is a great car for the money!! I am getting the windows tinted at 20% like my G6 when the weather changes and get it officially detailed!! It is going to look great!!

Thanks for the response and enjoy your family's car too!!
    Hey, guys

Back for more advice. Not sure how many of you had this problem but for about 3 hours I had just spend time trying to figure out how to use the aux in car jack that comes with standard S Jetta. The first thing I did was of course open the manual but it keeps referring me back to Navigation Booklet or Radio Booklet, of which both did not come with S model. So what a guy to do? I googled it and not a lot is said for 2011 model. My heart drop for a second thinking that its there but can't be use because I don't have SEL features so I double check with VW USA and there it was a standard feature for Model S. So after through googled finally hit the jackpot. In order to use Aux you have to go into radio setting and turn Aux on as well as if you want to use BT, must be turned on first. Phew.....

Now I am rocking my iphone/ipod with MOG radio!!! Loving it!!
    Glad you found it! We had a similar issue on our 08 Jetta SE. There is a bottom that does double duty and we had to press it again to activate the aux. It is frustrating. I still have no clue on how to work my voice commands on my radio. I am going to have my dealer show me once I have more time.
    The manual is quite broad in its terms.
  • stgenisstgenis Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Looking for a new car and was hoping for some advice. Criteria are 1. Safe 2. Manual 3. Sedan 4. Under 20k. This has led me to the 2011 Jetta, but concerns about the reliability of the Volkswagen brand is a concern. The car I'm replacing is ten years old, and has been reliable, requiring very little maintenance. What led you to the Jetta, and did you have any concerns about reliability/maintenance? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Hello!

I took forever in choosing the right car for me! I am so picky and put a lot of thought into decisions I make. I chose the 2011 Jetta SE and love it! I got the white gold metallic with tan interior. It comes with the convenience package and sunroof! I feel like I driving a mini Audi! Feels and looks upscale! And to hear that it is top safety pick that is awesome!!

Maintenance is covered on the 2011, so you will have no worries there for 3 years. Also we have had Jetta's in our family since 04 and have had no issues. We still have an 08 Jetta too!

The reason I picked the Jetta, is that is drives fun, solid and upscale in comparison to other brands in its class. You will love it! The SE model is a great deal!! The SEL seems a bit overkill.

I cannot wait to take the car on a road trip this Spring and Summer! :)

Good Luck!
    For me personally, I know that VW Jetta has been a well made car. I have tested,shopped and compared Mazda 3, Corolla, Honda Civic, Chevy Cruze, and many other. Nothing (price)comes close to well equipped bare essential than VW Jetta Model S. Also I always thought that Jetta is higher class than all the car mentioned above anyway. A plus like bvdj84 said, 3 years free service. Though many will say it's downgrade in quality compare to 2009 but I personally still think interior is still better than Corolla,Civic or Cruze. Not sure about Mazda 3, but I love my Jetta. ;)
  • stgenisstgenis Member Posts: 3
    I am replacing a ten year old Sentra that has been reliable, and mostly trouble free. Out of necessity, I'll be keeping my next car for at least that long. Some good friends recently counseled against the Jetta, or any other Volkswagen product due to the number of problems they had had over the years with their Passat wagon. They purchased it new in 2003 and got rid of it last week. Over the last seven years, the Passat had been in for several repairs and they traded it for a Camry because the latest round of troubles would have cost over 4k to repair. Do you think that the new "de-contented" Jetta will be reliable? The other car I'm looking at is the Subaru Impreza, which feels a little dated to me, and is not nearly as roomy as the Jetta. It does have a reputation for reliability, though, and is a sedan that can still be found with a manual transmission. Did you test the Impreza during your process?
    I'm a big fan of the Imprezza and drive them regularly when my Mercedes is in for service (Mercedes and Subaru are at the same dealership where I live). That said, I bought the new Jetta S for my daughter's first car. It is much less expensive, has a smooth and more comfortable ride, and feels just as well put together.

Reliability will depend on model and how it is driven. The 5 cylinder models should be fine, no better or worse than most new cars today. The base 4 and the diesel should both be exceptionally reliable. Diesel just because they tend to be overbuilt, and the old 2.slow because it has a 20+ year reputation for reliability.

I like the car so much that I actually use it for longer trips to keep the mileage off of my Mercedes.
    Of course the new version of the Jetta is somewhat of an unknown, but for it's predecessor CR predicted new car reliability was rated as "better than average" in their April 2010 issue. The imprezza was rated one notch higher (provided it is not a turbo) at "much better than average".

Imprezza WRX was rated "worse than averge".
  • pbrazinapbrazina Member Posts: 2
    We test drove the 2011 S and SE.... Both are great, but since we want the 2.5L engine, the S is out.

I asked the dealer about the model I test drove, and he told me it was the generic SE with alloy wheels (which seemed to have blue tooth and the audio aux-in port) :confuse:

Now there is the following, but we are having trouble distinguishing what all the different options are:

- SE
    - SE w/ convenience package
    - SEL
    - SE PZEV

Can anyone shed some light as to the differences between the above? I think PZEV is just emissions, and if so, any pros/cons about that.

ANY help is appreciated. :confuse:
  • minghiminghi Member Posts: 24
    just like the phrase 'google it' just 'edmunds it'. they review about the various trims and package details on the model's page.. gotto to love edmunds..
  • search4carsearch4car Member Posts: 30
    What should I get? What's the difference between these two cars? MSRP seems to be $1500 more for the SEL.

My Concerns / things I'm not sure of:
    1. I don't really want the GPS (Garmin or an Android phones is probably better). - Is the screen the same size as the screen in the SE or is it actually smaller?
    2. Is bluetooth functionality for both cars the same?
    3. Is it worth it to have the rear disk brakes?
    4. Other thoughts comparing these two cars?

Extra credit question: Should I figure out a way to wait (my lease on my current vw is coming to an end soon) and get the GLI for several k more?
    Hello!

I know that the lease prices between the SE and the SEL was huge. The lease cash wasn't available on the SEL and the SE had a better lease rate.

SE/w conv- Has the entertainment package: 6 disc CD changer, Surius Radio, Bluetooth for phone and streaming music from Iphone or device. Traditional AUX jack input, Voice commands. Larger screen.

Sunroof

SEL-Navigation: Similar features as SE, but allows use of navigation and directions. Same Bluetooth, Voice Commands. sunroof.
    Push buttom start option. You do not put the key in the ignition. You can have the key in your pocket and place thumb on car handle and open. Get in car and press button to start without the key. Key has to be on you though.
    Fancy, but yet not necessary.

4 disc brakes- Perhaps ever so slightly stronger in performance.

GLI: Will more than likely be worth the wait!! However- it will be a little more expensive. A bit more than the SEL. It is an SEL, but with added performance, such as the upgraded rear suspension, wheels, 2.0T engine. Slight interior upgrades, mainly cosmetic. It will be a very fun car! If you are willing to wait and pay more! However, don't plan to lease it. It will not lease too well.

I see the SE/w conv with the biggest bang for the buck!! The SEL seems to be a bit overkill. Both SE and SEL have same bluetooth. Your really not getting much more. Push button, Nav-which I really don't need. Unless your pushing this car really hard, then the rear brake drums are not going to be an issue. I took forever choosing and I love my car. White Gold/cornsilk interior, Conv/sunroof. Chrome tipped exhaust. It is great!!

So I would either decide on the SE or a GLI at this point. If your going to spend a little bit more, then go with the GLI! Though the price on the SEL isn't too much more, it was the lease numbers that kept me from getting the SEL. Making it too expensive and unnecessary.

Good luck!!
    Thanks bvdj84!

Great tip on the differences in the lease rates. Perhaps I should head over to the lease forum and do some research on what the lease rates are for the two. Also, My plan now is to lease the car, so if the lease rates will not be good on the GLI then I either need to consider purchasing or go with the SE. Sounds like I may be going with the same thing you got.

What's the scoop on color? Any colors that the dealer will put a higher premium on? I've never had a black car so i was kind of thinking of going all black. What's your thoughts?
    Yes, really cannot go wrong with the SE. But, definitely look into the GLI, If you are going to go for upgrade, then opt for this trim. Otherwise, the SE offers a great balance in features. Loaded for the price. The SEL was going to set me back about $70 more a month, so does that justify the few extra features? No, not really. The push button and nav are not a deal breaker. Why do I have my fancy Iphone 4?

I thought about black! It would look great with tinted windows. If your wanting black, then the Jetta looks really dark. Remember that it will need forever washing. The only color I see them having a hard time getting would be the Red or White Gold. But, do not see them putting any more of a price tag on though. It is just harder to get. Black and Red most likely come with cornsilk interior, it does look very classy! In my opinion a class up from the black interior. But, can't go wrong either way.
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    That red Jetta is really difficult to get. I ordered one with TDI + NAV last November, and the earliest they can deliver it is April. Darn, but I'm not going to settle for less.

Good luck with your cars. Buy what you want and can afford.
    That is true! I happened to see a red later after I leased my white gold. I was sorta bummed, I might have gotten the red. But, with Red I might get pulled over more. I do love my white gold! I am over it.

Yes, always try to get what you want, but at a price that you can realistically afford. Most don't know that line and cross over it. The SEL is really overkill in terms of price and value. In terms of leasing too!

The red would have looked really sporty! Tinted window with cornsilk interior!
    Oh well I am very happy with my choice! I can wait to really stretch out this spring and summer! I am getting the windows tinted and the dealer is going to officially deliver my car. Detail-wax, shine it all up. Since it is winter, I opted to wait for a better day.
    How's White Gold compare to black in the "always looks dirty" area?
    The White gold is almost like a silver, but has a metallic type gold tint to it. It changes in the light all the time. Cloudy days it has more of a tanish silver tint, and in the sun it looks more silver. If there is shadow on it, then it looks different too.

The white gold looks cleaner when its dirty. The black will show everything. Dirt, dust, bugs, and you'll have to be careful not to create swirl marks on finish as it will reflect easily in the sun. But, if your like me, and wash, maintain your car then it will not be a problem having black. Keep it waxed using delicate cloths, then your black will look amazing!

The white gold picture on the internet do it no justice. In person, it simply looked awesome! I liked that it is metallic!!
  • mgb1967mgb1967 Member Posts: 2
    Wierd alternatives, right ? I currently drive an '02 Buick Lesabre with sport tuned suspension, 3.8L engine, and leather interior. She gets 30mpg at 65 mph with 130k miles on the odometer. I'd hang onto it but the transmission is starting to hard shift after 30 minutes of driving, and just finished spending $ 700 on power steering pump and rack. Frankly, I wish the Lesabre was still made, its hard to beat a full size car with the road feel, responsiveness and mileage combo I've got. oh well. So I'm thinking of staying with the Buick line, though Ii'm a bit concerned about what I've read on the new 6 speed automatic in the Lacrosse, and haven't found reliability info on the 3.6 VVT engine. Or, going back to my earlier days and getting a Jetta 2.5 with manual xmission. The most economical over the long haul would likely be a Sonata with the 100k, 10 year warranty. But they just dont' have the panache of the VW, or the appeal of the Lacrosse. Anyway, my question is: to the VW experts out there, how dependable is the 2.5, and what are the problems I'd face with the VW? I've seen that the Jetta had past problems with the window regulators - which I had with the Buick - and the parts seem to be much more expensive - $19 for a oil filter from Autozone - But the idea of the VW is tempting at 18-19k$ or so. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • vannessavannessa Member Posts: 2
  • vannessavannessa Member Posts: 2
    I bought the 2011 Jetta SEL and have no idea where the temperature display is. I had the 2011 SE and saw it on the dash next to the mileage but for some reason it's not located in the same place for the SEL. Is there a certain button I need to press to display it? Please help!

Thanks,
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I own three VW's (2008 New Beetle Convertible, 2007 Jetta, 2009 Jetta) that all have the 2.5 gas engine with the 6 speed tiptronic automatic transmission. Mileage is between 17,000 and 55,000 depending on the car. This engine / transmission seems to be rock solid. No problems, no oil burning, smooth transmission (and also the tiptronic is a blast to drive in manual mode or Sport mode on the twisty back roads).

I also owned 5 GM cars with the famous 3.8 V6 that you have. It was a workhorse and I too got 30 MPG on each car on the highway. Alas, GM retired that engine.

VW's currently come with 3 year free maintenance, so no cost to you. VW recommends synthetic oil at 10,000 mile changes. I have mine changed at 5,000 miles, and a synthetic oil change is about $60-$75 depending on the shop. I believe your higher price on an oil filter is because the use of synthetic calls for a special filter, which is designed for longer life (due to the higher mileage change times VW recommends). I may just be extra cautious on changing oil sooner, but I feel peace of mind in doing so.

Try the Jetta - it is a great driving car, being very nimble and quick. I always look forward to a drive in one of my VW's - something I could not say of many of the cars I have owned over the years.

VW's also hold their resale value well, but depending on how often you trade that may or may not be a major factor.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    edited February 2011
    What do you think of the 2011 Jetta compared to yours? I saw your other comment about the seat. If you have checked out a new one, have they stuck with the firm supportive seats? You said the 2.5 was no oil burner. Does the older 2.0 have that reputation?

Sam
  • mgb1967mgb1967 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your comments, Belairguy. I read on some post that the 2.5 is known for it's longevity, ie a 300,000 mile engine - anyone have that experience ? Also, since the 2.5 is an older engine, is there any reason not to use regular oil, and change at 3k-5k? Having just read an article about the 2012 Passat which will have as base, the 2.5 and manual transmission, I might have to wait for that....
    I have not owned the 2.0 engine, but from what I have read this is a long time engine that VW has used form years. VW also has a 2.0 Turbo, but I don't know if it is the same engine with a turbo bolted onto it. Our family has also owned Jettas and Rabbits from years ago with both gas and diesel engines. Those models (late 80's, early 90's) had good engine reliability, although I could not specify if those were the 2.0 gas engines.

The 2.5 5 cylinder is a workhorse with many years of proven reliability. Don't know about using "regular" oil vs. synthetic oil in the 2.5, but certainly the VW mechanics could advise you. I would venture a guess that VW has specified synthetic just for the virtues of synthetic oil (does not lose viscosity or create breakdown products as it wears/ages) and the longer change times with synthetic oil. I have read a couple of studies done with synthetic oil in NYC taxicabs and analysis done on the oils after many miles of NY stop and go miles. Synthetics were virtually "new" after 15-20,000 miles. I change more frequently until we have a few more years of proven reliability of the synthetic oils in many cars and various engines.

Bel Air Car Guy
    Sam - the 2011 has the same seats (glad VW did not change that). The dash is now made of hard plastic (not uncommon in many cars/trucks), and previously is was a soft touch plastic. While this has been knocked in automotive reviews, how often are you touching the dash each day?

I did not check out the Base S model (2.0 engine), but if you want an automatic transmission and it has the Tiptronic 6speed, you won't be sorry. The Tiptronic has a "S" or sport mode, where shifts are held to a higher RPM setting. It also has a manual mode, where you can upshift and downshift yourself. Great fun on the back roads with lots of twisty curves!

Check my other comments about the 2.5 / 2.0 engines. Both should be reliable as VW has produced them for years.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • samm43samm43 Member Posts: 195
    Good to know they have maintained their usual standard in seating. The dash doesn't bother me as long as it resists cracking, doesn't squeak or give off a bad reflection on the windshield where you look down the road.

I think when you mentioned turbo, that you are confusing the 1.8 turbo with the 2.0 non turbo. I hadn't considered the automatic. I guess I should drive one and see if I could live with it. Tell me, how does it handle downshifts if you were driving in a spirited fashion on a dirt road and you wanted a quick one or two year downshift to set up for a corner? Does the computer actually rev up the engine to gear and rev match? Seems like a lot to go wrong when they get older. Nice for city traffic though I guess.

I thought I saw a comment somewhere here in a Jetta or Golf that gave the impression the 2.0 used to or still did burn oil, but I think they also were confusing the 1.8 turbo as it really did have an oil issue of some sort. If the diesel's emissions were not so complex which add further to their considerable cost, I would like one of those the most. But the next strongest for torque I would consider is that 5 cylinder one.

Glad to hear you are having so much enjoyment from all your VW's.

Sam