Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    OH, BABY!
    Glad you are enjoying that Jeep! Ain't they the COOLEST vehicles in the whole world??

Have fun.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    hswintek:

Welcome to the board. I believe that post about oil pressure was your first post in this forum?

Did you use a different brand of oil filter this time? That can have an effect on oil pressure, depending on how "tight" the filter medium is. Some filters are more restrictive than others.

Tom

P.S. I see now that you have posted in here before. Sorry. (I'm OLD)
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    I know this sounds trivial, but it is one of my worst pet peeves. I just noticed someone put a big, big ding in the middle if my passenger side door. It looks terrible. Must have happened yesterday. I was at a couple of malls. I always park away from the crowd. Seems like no matter where I park, someone will park close to me. I hate people being carless about this so much that if I had seen it happen, and it was a man, one of us would probably have gotten our a** kicked. (notice I did not predict an outcome)

Sorry about this post, I just had to vent.

Terry
    Sorry to hear about that ding. I think it is really sad that people care so little about other people's property. What's so hard about opening a door without banging the door into the car next to you?

Get it fixed, Terry. You know you ain't gonna be happy until you do.

Tom

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Doesn't sound trivial at all to me. I fully sympathize.

Do you have factory side steps? I keep mine on for 'on road' driving as they provide handy protection for that sort of thing.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I think that Unlimited just moved a bit closer to my driveway. Can't wait until this weekend, when I get rid of the load of stuff that is stopping me from selling the Taco just yet. Tuesday I place the ad and (hopefully) the Taco will be history! Still a bit undecided about it's replacement though. Do you suppose they'll put a $1,000 rebate on the 2005 Grand Cherokee when it comes out? Guess that's wishful thinking...
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Terry, you need to get you some rocker protection that stick out from the body. I know the rocker guards that came on my Rubi are nothing special, but they do protect from door dings...

Oh, guys, I have to say I found a great accessory for the Jeep. Raingler hand grips at www.raingler.com. Great overhead grip that velcros to the roll bar. Much better than the previous set I had from JC Whitney.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Greetings. Also looking and having fun but dealers have been confusing. Have not gone to Town and Country in Middletown. Went to Gengres, then to Bolles and then to Papas in New Britian. Liked Bolles the best but small selection. Also learning as I go.
  • hswintekhswintek Member Posts: 12
    I work for Napa auto supply so I use all Napa products. P.S. I'm old also and I hug "Big Red" every day.

This time I'll start with the link (just for Steve).

:--)

http://scoop.daimlerchrysler.com/prod05_Wrangler_Rubicon.shtml

and the same release with a slightly different title:

http://scoop.daimlerchrysler.com/prod05_Wrangler.shtml

2005 Jeep® Wrangler
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: The legend grows again

Building upon the success of the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, the 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon takes extreme off-roading to a new level.

The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon model builds on the award-winning capability of Wrangler Rubicon with an off-road system that includes locking front and rear differentials, front and rear Dana model 44 axles, four-wheel disc brakes and a 4:1 low-range transfer case. Not only is this premier off-road package fully synthesized by Jeep engineers, it's an exceptional value to customers.

"The Wrangler Rubicon was too popular with Jeep owners not to expand it to the successful Wrangler Unlimited," said Bell. "With the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, we brought the Jeep sense of freedom and adventure to a new customer who required more space. The standard wheelbase Wrangler Rubicon continues as the ultimate off-road Wrangler, but both are rigs that are ready for serious off-road trails-and at a significant savings, compared to the costs of modifying the vehicle with aftermarket hardware."

The Rubicon editions feature a Rock-Trac™ transfer case with 4:1 "low range" that slows vehicle speed to give the driver more control, while increasing the amount of torque available at the wheels. In addition, the front and rear axles include "air-actuated" Tru-Lok™ locking differentials to maximize traction. The Wrangler Rubicon also features Goodyear Wrangler "Maximum Traction/Reinforced" 31-inch tall tires with a beefy tread pattern that wraps around the sidewall to help grab ledges along the trail. This state-of-the-art off-road tire includes a three-ply sidewall and advanced silica compound for excellent durability and puncture resistance. The LT245/75R16 tires add an extra half-inch of ground clearance to the Jeep Rubicon models.

The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Unlimited Rubicon feature unique exterior design cues that include heavy gauge diamond-plate sill guards, 16-inch five-spoke aluminum wheels and a "Rubicon" graphic placed prominently on each side of the hood.

(Published September 1, 2004)

Looks like I posted the first release six weeks early!

• wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    On the door ding. I have factory running boards which generally ward off doors from cars and most other SUV's. This looks like a back door ( ever notice how they stick out about half way up) got me.

Oil pressure - My oil pressure runs about 40 or a little less driving hot. At hot idle, it goes a little below 20. That assumes the markings are linear and the sender is accurate. It has never bothered me.

Terry
  • gmkrphgmkrph Member Posts: 12
    Saw 7 Wranglers at NorthWest Hills in Torrington,CT. Easy - Relaxing Ride - I have no idea about reputation.
    George
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Thanks. I will check it out.
    About 20/40 is pretty average.
  • gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    2004 Silver & Black Sport. My daqughter picked her color. She also could not help but to notice the silver.

I have the duel tops…it’s the only way to go, in my opinion. Have to have a hoist to take it off though. It’s too heavy for one person and it’s too hard to find a friend willing to risk his (or her) back. I also have the auto transmission. The auto is the best way for me to go, I deal too much with heavy traffic. Plus I did not want to have to worry about shifting or burning out a clutch on a hill. As far as freeway driving the auto has good passing acceleration, as long as you have the 6-cylinder engine.
    Outstanding!!!!! I am in my mid forties and do not consider Ellie'Mae a mid-life crisis either. But it is the best…and the most fun…I have owned.
    “Midlife crisis vehicles are sports cars”?? I had my first (new) sports car when I was 23, two more by age 35, and my Porsche in my early 40’s. None of them were a mid-life vehicle…in fact I have not felt like have hid mid life yet. In fact I am applying for a bike (that’s a two wheeler without an engine) detail at work and I am 44.5 years of age now.
    Have you noticed that this has been a real mild summer? It gets real hot (triple digits) where I live…but this year the A/C has not been on more then a few days all summer.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Chalk it up to global cooling! ;-)

tidester, host
    1:30 am...Don't you people sleep!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Don't you people sleep!!

Sleep? What a novel concept!

Seriously - I'm a couple time zones over so it's not really all that late.

tidester, host
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    Its got a hard top and just about every option available. The hard top will probably stay on through winter, but I'm hoping to have a soft top bought before April.

more details tomorrow, right now i'm late for work (again)
    Will you guys PLEASE buy your Jeeps! This is killing me! I get almost as excited over other people buying new Jeeps as if I was buying one for myself. :)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ain't nothin' in the world like a Wrangler, Unlimited or regular size, Rubicon or SE.

Good luck, Guys!

KEEP US POSTED.

Tom

CONGRATULATIONS!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAY TO GO!

You must have been typing your post at the same time I was typing my post urging you and John and George to pull the trigger.

GOTTA SEE PICS! Need any help posting pics, just let me know via email.

When can I expect ya down here for some Turkey Bay wheelin'????

Tom

You guys are next. :)

Tom

I remember someone was talkng about hard top liners. Here is a link where you can find one on E-Bay.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOther- Items&userid=edge_automotive&include=0&since=-1&s- ort=3&rows=50
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Well, as I see it, there is only one solution. Get yourself a 6.5" LA suspension lift, put on 35's (or, if you put on a good sized BL, maybe 37s) and laugh as those back doors get jammed on (or under) the rocker panels. As a side benefit, you'll have a ride that other wheelers will drool over... ;-)

Okay, maybe not the most practical solution due to all the other related changes and costs involved - but just think of the fun factor!

Andrew
  • blakewdblakewd Member Posts: 10
    Now that they are making it when can we get them? I really hope they offer the dual tops.

What is the largest size tire that fits with no lift?

If the Rubi comes with 31" will a 32 or 33 fit?
    I don't know of any reason why a stock Rubicon or a stock Rubicon Unlimited would take any larger tire than would a stock Wrangler Sport, Sahara, X, or SE. The limit for an unlifted TJ is 31" x 10.50."

Tom

• blakewdblakewd Member Posts: 10
    So Jeep just put the largest tire they could fit on the Rubicon with no extra lift? Doesn't that usually affect clearance and articulation? I just thought if a standard Jeep could max out at 31" with smaller standard tires the Rubi might go up a size or two from the standard 31". Standard tires aside if the distance from the axle to the top of the wheel well is the same for all Wrangler versions than I guess 31" is as big as you get w/ no lift mods.
    I believe the Rubi has different springs and definitely has different shocks than a standard TJ. I think it sets about an inch higher than a standard TJ and then you can another 1/2 inch for the 31inch MTRs. Many have complained of "stuffing" the 31s on Rubis (shoving the tire so far up into the fender well that it dents the fender) in off road situations requiring a lot of articulation.

To go 33s on my Rubi I'd still need a 2 inch suspension lift and a 1 inch body life to accomodate them. That sucks, but then at least, my speedometer would be accurate.
    What Keats said is true. If you disconnect the sway bar when you are off roading, then the 31" MT/R's can actually touch the fender where the flare attaches. I know a guy who slightly bent his fenders because of this.

I have a two inch lift on my 01 Sport, but I still have distorted flares from stuffing my 31 x 10.50 BFG Muds with the wheels turned one way or the other.

TJ's have crazy flex, and that's a major reason why they are so capable off road.

You can see from these pics what I mean about stuffing a tire and messing up my flares.

Now, if a guy is not going to off road and not going to disconnect his sway bar, then that might allow a larger diameter tire to be used.

Tires need room for their width as well as for their diameter, and 10.50" is the max for wheels with the standard backspacing of 5.5." Even at 10.50," some folks need to use washers on their steering stops to limit their turning a little to prevent rub on the lower control arms.

Tom

Awesome pics, Tom. What kind of lift did you go with? No body lift?
    I have a little two inch Procomp spring and shock lift. One of my very earliest wheelin' buds had that lift kit on his Jeep and wanted to sell it, so that he could get a bigger lift. I bought it from him installed and all for $200! Couldn't pass up that deal!

I am finally adding that page about mods to my website about Turkey Bay and Jeepin'. I tried the last night or two (whenever it was that you reminded me about it), but the "site builder" server was not working, I guess. I was able to get through tonight, and I have added a few items, but I have more to do before I am through.

Tom

P.S. No body lift as yet. I will only go with 1" on the body lift, if I ever do put one on. It is commonly believed that more than 1" on a body lift is not a good idea. As the body sways and leans, the further it is away from the frame, the more stress load (leverage) is put on the sheet metal where the bolts go through, and the more stress on the bolts themselves.
    Tom, as I expect you know, slightly extending your bumpstops will prevent the flare damage. Although articulation will be fractionally reduced, traction could very well be improved a little. It's always a compromise!
    Right!

I chose to keep all the articulation that I could get, but you are correct, of course, in saying that bumpstop extensions would limit the axle travel and prevent rubbing.

I actually added some, but they apparently were not long enough, because I still rub. The flares are already distorted as bad as they are going to get, so I am not worried about the rub.

For those who don't understand about articulation, just take a look at those pics I posted. Look how Thelma Jane's body is almost on a level plane, despite the extreme angles her axles are on. All four of her tires are still touching the ground.

Without that kind of articulation, she would have undoubtedly had two tires up in the air and would be tilted to one side or the other or be teetering back and forth.

Tom

• 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Tonight, with the help of a buddy, I took off those weak factory sway bar links and replaced them with JKS quick release links.

I had been driving around with a broken one for a while. What a difference it makes having those fixed. My friend went through 3 of the factory versions before he found the heavier duty JKS links. I decided to spend the extra money now and buy the good ones. Besides, if I take the old girl off road, I'll be able to disconnect them and get the articulation that Tom was talking about.

-Dan
    Good deal!

You'll definitely want to disconnect for wheelin'! It make a WORLD of difference.

Speakin' of wheelin', where is it that you live now??? :)

If I remember right, you are in New England? That might be a little far for you to come to Turkey Bay and wheel with me, but if you are ever over in this part of the country... :)

Dan, I can hook you up with an Internet Jeep buddy in western MA, if you are ever interested in doing some wheelin'. He lives in North Adams, and he has a whole world of great trails within ten miles of his house. MUST BE NICE!

Tom

driving that shiny red Unlimited to post tonight.

Come on, Jeff, give us your first impressions, if you can get out of it long enough, that is. :)

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    As I was driving home tonight in moderately windy conditions, I wondered how the Unlimited does in the wind. I know my Sport is terrible compared to the Tacoma, and wondered if the Unlimited is the same or worse. Since my commute is often windy (I go through one of those wind-prone passes and canyons). Does anyone have an opinion?
    Picked up Nicole tonight in Springfield IL, she's a sweet young thing. The best looking and most agreeable date I've had in a very long time, no arguements about where we were going or when we were getting there. I took her to dinner with my parents (yes, she met my parents on our first date) and then back to Quincy for a couple drinks with my best friends.

So over a few drinks, I explained to my friends that the first thing I learned from all of you was that all Jeeps have names. Since she's red, she needed a red heads name. We talked about Ginger, Lucy, Randi (one of our wilder friends) and decided that Nicole Kidman was who my jeep should be named after.

I'll get some pictures posted over the weekend.

jeff
  • bballjonesbballjones Member Posts: 8
    I am hopefully going to be buying a new jeep this weekend. My brother is pushing me to buy the Rubicon because he owns an old Bronco and is always out climbing rocks. However the majority of my time this vehicle is going to be my daily driver. My questions are - does the Rubicon drive as nice as the Sahara on the freeway and is the gas mileage any worse in the Rubicon. Just worried that the gear ratio and different suspension will cause it to be a little worse in these areas. I am going to be test driving both this weekend, just looking for some input.

Thanks.
    Jeff, congrats on the new addition to your family! When do I get to meet Nicole???

I am anxious to see some pics.

Jeff, while thost GSA's are still brand new, you should be able to get a killer trade-in allowance on them and get yourself some REAL tires. At a minimum, I would get some All Terrains that are on the aggressive side. If you are gonna play off road much, then I would say get some Muds.

Someone must like the GSA's, because they gave me such a high trade-in on mine, and they even had 10K miles on them.

Here's a copy of my post telling everyone about the unbelievable deal I got.

"Hey everyone! Took Thelma today to have some 31 inch tires put on her. I got the 31 x 10.5 BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's, like old Tonkadave did.

I couldn't believe the deal they gave me, and I jumped all over it. It was going to be $641 for five new tires, mounted, balanced, and tax included. I was ready to forget it, but I went to the tire store to let them see what they could allow me on Thelma's 30's for trade in.

The spare was new, and they gave me $95 for it. The four that were on Thelma had 10,500+ miles on them, and they gave me $83 apiece on them!

Bottom line, I got five new 31 x 10.50 BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's mounted, balanced, and tax included for $188.63.

I think they will be great tires, but I haven't driven anywhere except from the tire dealer back to work.

I must admit that I thought they would make a little more difference in Thelma's looks than they did. They definitely look better, but it just isn't as dramatic as I though it would be.

I haven't had a chance to scrub them good and put the armor all on them yet, so maybe that will make a big difference.

tsjay

If no tire stores up there will give you a decent trade-in, bring that puppy down here, and I will take you over to the tire store where I get my tires. Then, we'll go try those new tires out at Turkey Bay! :)

Tom

P.S.

Armor All??? Did you guys catch that?? That's embarrassing! The date was June 27, 2001, and I was still in that mode where I thought Thelma Jane should not get dirty. I would not even THINK about taking her offroad back then. The tires were strictly for looks. My first time to go off road was February 15, 2002.
    We have quite a few new folks, so I thought I would post this invitation to check out my website. It's mostly about Turkey Bay, where I go wheelin' and about off roading. Even if you don't think you are going to be going off road, you might still enjoy the site.

Even though I talk so much about off roading, I know how much fun a Jeep is, even on the pavement. I have ALWAYS said that Thelma Jane was the most fun vehicle I ever had by far, even when I was not off roading.

Jeeps are just the coolest things in the world, whether they have blacktop, concrete, rocks, or dirt under them!

Here's the link...

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

I am still working on the page about Thelma's mods. I am up to the rocker guards, but I have the rear locker, winch, and front locker to go yet.

Tom

Can't remember if I have welcomed you or not, so...

WELCOME! :

Well, you said you were going to test drive, so that should answer your question about ride quality. I think the Rubi might have just slightly stiffer suspension compared to the Sahara, but I'll leave that to a Rubi owner to talk about.

Doubt if there is any difference in gas mileage. The Rubicon has 4.10 gears, but it also has 31" tires, so they sort of offset each other.

If you think you are going to be doing some off roading, and if the price is not a problem, then by all means get the Rubicon! What a deal for all the goodies you get!

Tom

• dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    I couldn't help feeling bad for all the other people on the road today who were sealed up in their aquariums on wheels, totally out of touch with the big beautiful world outside. We've been blessed with perfect weather this week in the Baltimore/DC area and I'll bet most of the other commuters barely know it. They may have heard about it on TV but they haven't really experienced it. Too bad for them. Maybe someday they'll get a Jeep and then they'll understand.

Yesterday a bunch of us went out for lunch and there was fighting about who got to ride in the Jeep with me. At last I finally have the cool car that all the pretty girls want to ride in. They were happy that I thought ahead and got a supply of guest combs and scrunchies (pony tail holders).

It's going to be a great long weekend!

Dave
    Sounds like you have some serious regrets about getting that Jeep.

NOT!
    I have to compliment the dealer and staff that i worked with buying Nicole.

I did my homework ahead of time, lots of visits to various websites, consumer reports pricing info, reading this message board for weeks, asking several questions, test drove and then had the salesman drive so I could ride in the back seat.

I originally planned to buy from Carmax in Atlanta, it didn't seem like any dealers here would come close to their price. I emailed almost all the dealers within 2 hours of my house, told them the carmax price and asked if they could come close. a couple replied with the sticker price, a couple called with $800 - $1200 over Carmax.com. I finally talked to Landmark in Springfield IL, via email and phone. He started at $500 over carmax, I told him I'd go $300, we had a little discussion over the yellow vs red (they had a little more cost in the yellow one since they had traded another dealer for it) I wound up with red and he told me about a $500 incentive for using Chrysler financing, that I hadn't seen anywhere online. With the recent rebates and the financing rebate, I wound up at $22,800 (+tax, title, yada, yada, yada) $200 less than I thought I'd be paying at Carmax.

2004 Wrangler Unlimited

Hard Top
    Speed Control
    Auto Dimming Mirror
    7 Speaker stereo
    floor mats
    side steps

I had a friend drive me over to pick up my jeep, they were expecting us, all the paperwork was ready, and they did an excellent job explaining it (I'm a loan officer myself, I like to know what I'm signing). The salesman knew I had driven 4WDs for a long time so I was familiar with that, but he explained all the jeep features, removing the top, the seats, radio, suggested speed for switching to / from 4WD.

They knew their product, and their competition, I can't say that for any of the other dealerships I talked with.

Jeff

ps, I'm refinancing my chrysler loan ASAP with my credit union @ 3.5% they said it was fine, i just had to start out with the chrysler financing to get the additional $500. on top of that our credit union does "courtesy mortgages, making the interest tax deductible.
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    Congratulations Jeff!

Welcome to the Red Jeep Club. I joined only about a day before you so I know how you feel. Except for the part about the dealer showing you how everything worked. I bought mine from the used inventory of a Mazda dealer. I showed him how to put the top down!

I hope you're having as much fun as I am.

Dave