Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Honda CR-V

Comments

• putney1putney1 Member Posts: 24
    My VIN number starts with 5J6 perhaps you are right. I will ask the Honda dealer and service people on Monday where this car was made. If I could listen to an EX CRV radio manufacture in North America,

I am also concerned with the MPG

Thank you for the information, maybe this info can help me in my negotiations in findings another/different CRV EX with a radio I can listen to.

Where did you read-find this info. Thank you
    I will post what happens on Monday.
  • georgebush1georgebush1 Member Posts: 22
    I had a dealer tell me this. However, a VIN with a 5 is North America. So, that blows that theory. Id be curious to see what you find out.
    I would like the issue to be resolved. i can not believe the dealership knowingly would sell CRV's that have useless radios. This has been going on for a week much too long to resolve this issue. I am tired of phone calls and driving a loaner
    Thanks
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    Our VIN starts with a J and the radio is crystal clear. Think about it..why would Honda produce CR-V's where some of the radios are full of static and some are not. Does that really make sense to you.
  • georgebush1georgebush1 Member Posts: 22
    No one said they intentionally did anything. But Radiation can reek havoc on electronics. Just saying.
    Hi

Are you driving an EX AWD 2012 CRV?
    Thanks
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    2012 CR-V EX-L RES 2WD.
  • chaoskatechaoskate Member Posts: 5
    So here's the update: dealer immediately whipped out a printout (already in hand) about how cold weather affects gas mileage and claimed that even at 40 degrees, the gas mileage would be off by at least 5 miles/gallon. Also claimed that Honda doesn't advertise any particular mileage and there is nothing wrong with my car. He then said there's no breaking issue and that not using the cruise control is applicable only to the first 200 miles.

He then suggested I take it for a purely highway drive, setting the cruise control to 55 and resetting the trip meter once it reached 55, but said to expect it to be 5-6 mpg less than expected due to the cold (beautiful sunny 42 degrees). So I drove it for 25 miles on a virtually empty Mass. Pike in the middle of the day, so no need to ever brake, etc. and with the eco mode on. I got 32 miles/gallon.

Now I have driven another 30 miles in my normal combination city/roadway/highway driving and the average mileage is already down to 21, even including the 25 miles at 32 mpg.

My takeaway from this is that if you do mostly highway driving in a non-congested area you will get the advertised mileage. If you live in an urban area like me, it will be below.

But I am really wondering what kind of area the people who are reporting good mileage are in.

I haven't decided on next steps. BTW-- I have no problem with radio static and it's a J VIN .

The print out the dealer already had ready to handout is from Nov. 2005 www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm
    Are you driving an EX AWD 2012 CR-V . I am asking because of the static I have. It gets me upset to think I will have a gas monster on my hands the new improved CR-V MPG. IU go to the dealer tomorrow.
    Thanks
  • hondacrv2012hondacrv2012 Member Posts: 5
    I have around 500 mi in my odometer and the average mpg of 20.8 with 70/30 ratio of city/highway. I called up the dealer about this and he very rudely said please check the sticker and numbers written in small. Its all about how you drive and we cannot help to get mpg up :-(
    Is that a true statement, really upset with bad mileage
    Yes I have my EX CRV back and I don't like it.
    The radio is awful. Speakers aren't that good either.
    The MPG is far away from what I had thought. EPA MPG is under the best of best situations and was a very misleading guideline for me. I need to turn my head around since I will have to pay for this monthly or maybe not-what will that do to my credit? Dealership not helpful. I will get back to Honda direct but I had no intentions of getting on a bandwagon. I wanted to enjoy a new car. I had not a problem with my EX L Accord for 3 years. Now I am making up for lost time.
  • shyboyshyboy Member Posts: 36
    I think the dealer is correct your mileage depends on your driving habits, weather, the route you take etc.

I filled up my tank second time yesterday. Total drove 850 miles so far in 2 weeks. the trip computer shows 28.2 mile / gallon.

Its in between 27 - 28 depending on how smart I drive :)

I am happy with my purchase so far. I got EX 2wd on 1/31

Hope that helps.
    My driving is mostly local stop and go. After two tank fill-ups I will calculate not using dash board. You seem to be on target.

Thanks you

What is being "driving Smart"
  • shyboyshyboy Member Posts: 36
    The color changes to green around you speedometer when you "Drive Smart"
    :D

The EcoAssist™ system allows you to monitor your driving in terms of fuel-efficiency. Bars on either side of the speedometer turn green when using the engine efficiently. The more you stay in the green, the more miles you will utilize on a single tank of gas.
    Thank You
    I have seen the green bars on both sides of speedometer. I will post MPG when I fill the tank up twice and do the math.
  • trunksalantrunksalan Member Posts: 4
    On my first tank from the dealer the computer calculated a terrible mpg and I was only able to get ~280 miles before having to fill up 14 gallons. I think the dealer screwed me and didn't fill up the tank, maybe this is your case as well.

BUT! The 2012 CRV's AVG MPG computer is definitely not the most accurate. I drove over 500 miles from san diego, ca to reno, nv and calculated a better MPG number than the computer. I used google maps to track my trip's mileage from one gas station to the next (Which matched the trip meter's mileage pretty closely). I calculated my MPG to be 34 mpg while the computer calculated only 31 mpg. This trip was during my break in period I had under 1000 miles on the car during this trip.

I calculated the mpg once more in between fill ups and calculated 2 mpg better again.

I like to record the mileage I've driven on my gas receipts to keep track of the mpg. I will have to make sure I record the computer's avg MPG as well to check the computer's accuracy.
    Wow very nice to see those mileage .. now I am thinking do I drive so bad, most of my driving is on city roads with signals etc.
    but inspite of my odometer showing me smart driving I am getting mileage of around 20.5 mpg. I have driven around 650 miles on my car. Does any body has any confirmation of what is the break in for this car, after which its starts giving better mileage.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,516
    I think you answered your own question. city roads with a lot of signals absolutely kills MPG. 20+ on one of these under those conditions is not all that bad.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ksayersksayers Member Posts: 59
    I am seriously looking at a 2012 CR-V in lieu of a RAV4 V6 now that road noise seems to have been addressed. My lingering concern is the ability of a CR-V to deal with mountains like the Sierras, up to 7000 feet. Does anyone have some real life experience climbing the mountains? I fully realize you need to "put your foot in it" and use the appropriate gearing, but is it a reasonable experience or a pain in the posterior. Any insights greatly appreciated.
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    I live in WV, so I have some experience driving my 2010 CRV LX 2wd in the mountains. The engine's lack of low end torque results in lots of downshifts and high engine rpm on the interstates here. As a result, I don't get very good fuel economy with my CRV on my business trips. My other SUV, a Mercedes GLK350 4Matic, gets essentially the same fuel economy, and does not need to downshift on hills to hold 70 - 75 MPH on grades. I think the CRV would drive you nuts.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who bought a new Honda or Toyota within the last two months. Specifically, he’s most interested in speaking with someone who intentionally held off on buying one of these vehicles last year because the dealer did not have it in stock. If you meet this criteria, please send a brief description of your experience and your contact info to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012.
  • honda25yrshonda25yrs Member Posts: 2
    I live in WA where the typical mountain pass elevation is around 3000 feet. I know that's much lower than your 7000 feet inquiry, but I can tell you that I have absolutely no problem with the steep pass roads. My neighborhood is also full of VERY steep hills and the CRV climbs them without hessitation. When shopping for a new car, I also drove the RAV4. I liked it a lot and the V6 is great. However, there were three deal-killers for me. The RAV4 is noisy, the tailgate swings out instead of up, and the spare tire is hung on the back. There was a no-spare option to use runflat tires, but I've heard nothing but bad stories about them so I passed on the RAV4. If towing power is more important to you, the V6 RAV4 certainly has plenty but in my opinion it comes with too many compromises. I also drove the Highlander. It's an excellent option if you can step up another $8k in price. It was too long for my small garage, and also came with some issues. ymmv.
  • honda25yrshonda25yrs Member Posts: 2
    My old garage door remote is a bit weak and can barely transmit through the "thick skin" of my 2012 CRV. I'd appreciate any advice regarding new aftermarket remotes, hard-wired installed options, or battery-powered installed options. If possible, I prefer battery power to keep things simple. Your thoughts?
  • ksayersksayers Member Posts: 59
    Thank you for the reply !!!
    did you put in a new battery? I was having issues with my remote for a while, getting very iffy (had to push the button a bunch of times on occasion, really worked in one, had to be right up by the door).

Finally broke down and got a new circle battery and put it in, and the change was immediate and dramatic. first time every time, and I can be half way down the block. And the remote is not particularly new.

so, try that first, and if it doesn't do the trick, you can buy replacement remotes for most any door opener, but be sure to get exactly the right one since the changed the tech on a regular basis.

If you have a popular brand, like Sears, should not be difficult.

Your other option (an expensive one) is to get homelink put in. I wish I had that on my car (we do have it on my wife's odyssey).

• ssivakumarssivakumar Member Posts: 1
    I am not a Honda fan...actually got CR-V because my van had totalled and Toyota dealers had only 2011 models. After the first 1100 miles in city /hwy mix the CRV gave about 24-26 mpg, then i went on a long hwy trip over 250 miles. I just set it to cruise at 58 mph speed. Hardly passed anyway. And vioila. Got 392 miles and refilled back to full at 9.824 galllons. That was a whopping 39.91 mpg
    This was a 2wd auto. Neverthought it had that kind of mileage. Again in city today is back to avg of 26..... Guess its great for long trips at constant speed
    I have not checked my mpg. I have been away not using the CR-V. It seems to me that mpg exceeds expectations of EPA which is great news.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I used to tell my customers not to check their gas mileage until their Hondas had several thousand miles on them. For some reason, Hondas do NOT get their best mileage until they are broken in. I've seen this time and time again.

Yet, I would have people check mileage fron their first tankful and complain.

The mileage stickers on the windows are rarely acheived on ANY car since they are calculated under ideal conditions. They are more accurate then they used to be but they are only a guide.

Stop and go miles kill gas mileage too.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Is it possible to get one of those Gentex Home link mirrors installed in the 2012?

I still can't believe it's not an available feature in any stock model, it's probably one of the most used features in my wifes Outback. But if it can be installed by the dealer then I guess it's an OK compromise for me...

Thanks
    Does any one know what is the breakeven point for new CRV 2012. Also is there any rule that we should drive under 60 MPH until we have our first maintenance done.

Regards.
    pretty sure you mean Break in!

anyway, it will say in the owners manual, but these days, many cars don't have anything specific. But even in the olden days, it was 600-1,000 miles.

and no need to stay below 60. Generally they just recommend not driving extended periods at a set speed (say on CC), and to accelerate and break moderately. IOW< pretty much just drive it like you normally should.

• hobie1981hobie1981 Member Posts: 23
    Hi:

We gotta quit meeting like this... :-)

But yes, the Gentex auto dimming mirror w/homelink installs really easily in the 2012 CR-V. Took me about an hour to install it.

Jeff
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    edited March 2012
    :)

An hour or so (probably three times that for me lol) is very reasonable. The only thing I am hesitant on is removal of the A-pillar trim to run the wiring to the fusebox. From what I have read, there is a clip that can break when removing the panel, did you have any problems with this?

Thanks again!
  • julyjulyjulyjuly Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I am shopping for a small SUV with a budget of ~$25K. I am looking at this certified pre-owned 2011 CR-V EX-L from a nearby dealer. The price shown on the website is just a bit under $26k. I am not really a fan of the metallic exterior color but I really like how it's loaded with nice options such as heated seats, sunroof, navigation, etc.

With this price, do you think a base-r model of 2012 is better than this 2011 (because of all new design and better MPG?) ?

Or just how do you think about this price. Thanks a lot from a car idiot.

Julie
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    edited March 2012
    you can buy a new 2012 crv exl fwd for just a bit more. About 27k -- Used crv's are a bad deal. Way to high priced. Buy new. Get a garmin and skip the nav. Get the color you want.
  • julyjulyjulyjuly Member Posts: 6
    Thanks jayrider, that is very helpful. I've done a bit more research last night and today and realized leather interior and heated seats aren't that important to me anymore.

I think I will go with a new 2012 LX since it has got all that I need (backup camera, bluetooth, mp3) with better look and mpg.

So unless a CPO 2011 EX-L can match the price of a new 2012 LX, which I highly doubt, 2012 LX will be my target.
  • drjcool1drjcool1 Member Posts: 45
    edited March 2012
    2013 RDX vs 2012 CRV

I am in the market for either the CRV or new RDX, both with navi. I have owned many Acura and Honda products. I'd like to get several opinions as to which folks prefer. Amongst the many questions I have...
    - Will the handling, torque, and acceleration be significantly better on the upcoming RDX (due out next week) ?
    - Will it be safe to use regular gas in the new RDX V-6
    -Is the new RDX interior much nicer than the CRV

My understanding is that the price difference between the 2 fully loaded is about 10K.

Anyway....let the discussion begin!!!
    without having driven one, my guesses are :

- Yes.
    - Maybe but probably not.
    - Nicer is a matter of taste, but richer looking with more gadgets, and more "overdone" styling.

• oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    I own a competitor to the RDX and a 2010 Honda CRV. I think the RDX's handling, torque, and acceleration will be far superior to the CRV. The RDX is probably a premium fuel only vehicle. Interior wise - vehicles in the RDX's class are much more quiet, of higher quality, and more elegant.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
    2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 4Matic
    2010 Honda CRV
    1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Town Sedan
  • raptor11raptor11 Member Posts: 5
    Guys guys, Its unbelievable, I got 28.5 mpg avg so far (65% Highway and 35% City). 6/10th of a tank got me 220 miles.

I am sorry for previously stating that, I was disappointed about CRV mpg. I am revising my statement. It was my fault and I realized I was driving like nuts before. (especially cuz I was driving a 3.8L V6 before, I tended to be stomping on the gas all the time and braking hard).

In city, I let go of the throttle and let the car cruise/coast by itself, whenever I am going to hit a red light/stop sign. CRV has very low rolling resistance (improved bearings?, low friction engine?), which means there is plenty of potential energy in the body, the car will keep coasting for a while, till it comes to a stop. Try this technique by going easy on throttle, and watch the next 2 traffic lights ahead and use throttle wisely, you should see the remarkable difference. Mine is a 12' AWD EX. I am so happy with the purchase. I have no doubts about EPA. EPA estimates are for sane drivers. If you have driven a Turbo/V6 then, you have to be re-trained to drive a 2.5L honda. Honda's are feather like, its sips fuel, if you drive wisely. If you keep stomping on the pedal, you're gonna get 20mpg and nothing more. Get a V6 instead. But, I love my CRV with gas at $3.90.

I am going to join hypermilers club too. will keep posting my updates here....have fun guys. Safe driving. Enjoy your 2012 CRV guys.
    I am getting about 19mpg around town -I live, work and shop in a small area of 20 miles radius stop signs and lights-I am not happy with 19mpg.

I went to the city and back -highway and once again city 210 miles and back to an airport 25 miles away, local driving and work and shop got 25.1mpg. Not happy with my driving. The green rim is always there. I did some amount of coasting to lights. Up Hill seems like the CR V is dragging, with a good amount of noise and it is only myself in the 2012 EX CRV.
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I'm considering the same cars. Right now I'm driving a 2006 Acura TL and a 1995 Subaru wagon. When the wagon goes, I will need a car for my dogs and grand kids. So I'll be selling th TL. Thought about a subaru outback, but there were too many negative comments about it. I haven't seen seen the RDX yet and wonder of it's worth the price difference.
    You might ask them if they will drop the certification on that used one for a better price. As reliable as Hondas are I never understood why having one certified was such a big deal.

You are paying for a warranty you will probably never use.
  • nor_cal_dalenor_cal_dale Member Posts: 4
    I have owned 10 new Hondas in the past 20 years. Best thing I can tell you is drive them like you are going to. There is a saying that fits, Drive Them Like You Stole Them. Honestly there is no break in perios anylonger except on Brakes and Clutches as they have to wear intot he droms or plates. Enjoy!
  • nor_cal_dalenor_cal_dale Member Posts: 4
    Why would anyone in their right mind buy a 2WD, when the 4wd is only 1 mpg diference? Does not make sense and I cannot figure out why they still even make them in 2WD.
    Why?

I'm in Seattle and the 2WD models make no sense at all but there are a lot of places in the US where 4 WD would never be needed. Why pay for something you would NEVER have a use for?
  • drjjjjdrjjjj Member Posts: 25
    I'm seriously considering a 2012 crv 2 wd but waiting for the 2013 rav for comparison and I'm in the NW but live in the flat lands, don't drive in snow/ice and don't ski anymore. The reason I'm considering the 2 wd over 4 wd is: it's a few extra thousand bucks, a few extra hundred pounds, the vehicle already has a limited slip feature and it's more maintenance! Also, I'm guessing it's more than a 1 mpg difference too regardless of epa estimates (drivetrain drag, etc) I'm sold on most of the Honda and Toyota products and want the better visibility, safety and space, but I seek at least 30 mpg on the highway without trying much! The new camry SE and Prius are on my list too but aren't as safe or as large!
    Just know that a 2WD CRV or Rav4 will be VERY difficult for you to resell
    down the road when the time comes.

It's not often that we really "need" 4WD around here but I can tell you there have been a few times I was very glad to have it!

" More maintenance"? Yeah, you have to change the rear diff fluid every 30,000 miles. That's the extent of it.

30 MPG may be overally optimistic for either a CRV or a RAV4.
  • drjjjjdrjjjj Member Posts: 25
    The 2wd is geared 5% taller/different than the 4 wd, it's about 200lbs lighter, if you go LX the tires are 5% thinner/taller maybe more complaint?, it's half an inch lower with some/a little driveline drag and the $2k less puts in the same price point as a camry se/etc I'm looking at. Perhaps the 4 wd has better resale, but maybe not-fewer lower priced better mpg 2wds in the long run! I'm in the NW and have yet to need any help with inclimate weather (in 10 years) and we drive rear wheel drive volvos (with limited slip) We do have the luxury of working aat home/calling in if it more a than an inch or two of snow however! Again, looking for car like drive, higher/commanding view/safety (3200lb min and extra height) , greater capacity and reliable/exc resale with 30 mpg on freeway @ 70 min threshold! Picky Engineer that will end up with Prius if gas stays above 4 bucks! China & India lining up for oil FYI! Drop the 50 state freeway limit to 60mph and most of us jump 5 mpg FYI!!
    drop the limit to 60 and gas usage won't change, since no one will slow down anyway.

as to the 2 vs 4 WD question, I have been looking at this class of 'car" (CRV and Mazda CX5 notably), and will be happy to get a FWD for all the reasons you mention.

In our case, it would be replacing an Odyssey minivan, and we have never had a problem getting around in that in the winter. And we would not be taking the "truck" off road.

these are basically just cars anyway with a wagon body and sitting slightly higher. Pretty much the CRV is a Civic wagon, and for the majority of people the AWD is just a psychological factor.

I still think that if you didn't tell the majority of softroad buyers that it was only FWD, they could go for years without ever figuring it out.