Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Honda CR-V

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,731
    pretty sure you mean Break in!

anyway, it will say in the owners manual, but these days, many cars don't have anything specific. But even in the olden days, it was 600-1,000 miles.

and no need to stay below 60. Generally they just recommend not driving extended periods at a set speed (say on CC), and to accelerate and break moderately. IOW< pretty much just drive it like you normally should.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• hobie1981hobie1981 Posts: 23
    Hi:

We gotta quit meeting like this... :-)

But yes, the Gentex auto dimming mirror w/homelink installs really easily in the 2012 CR-V. Took me about an hour to install it.

Jeff
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    edited March 2012
    :)

An hour or so (probably three times that for me lol) is very reasonable. The only thing I am hesitant on is removal of the A-pillar trim to run the wiring to the fusebox. From what I have read, there is a clip that can break when removing the panel, did you have any problems with this?

Thanks again!
  • julyjulyjulyjuly Posts: 6
    Hello,

I am shopping for a small SUV with a budget of ~$25K. I am looking at this certified pre-owned 2011 CR-V EX-L from a nearby dealer. The price shown on the website is just a bit under $26k. I am not really a fan of the metallic exterior color but I really like how it's loaded with nice options such as heated seats, sunroof, navigation, etc.

With this price, do you think a base-r model of 2012 is better than this 2011 (because of all new design and better MPG?) ?

Or just how do you think about this price. Thanks a lot from a car idiot.

Julie
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,329
    edited March 2012
    you can buy a new 2012 crv exl fwd for just a bit more. About 27k -- Used crv's are a bad deal. Way to high priced. Buy new. Get a garmin and skip the nav. Get the color you want.
  • julyjulyjulyjuly Posts: 6
    Thanks jayrider, that is very helpful. I've done a bit more research last night and today and realized leather interior and heated seats aren't that important to me anymore.

I think I will go with a new 2012 LX since it has got all that I need (backup camera, bluetooth, mp3) with better look and mpg.

So unless a CPO 2011 EX-L can match the price of a new 2012 LX, which I highly doubt, 2012 LX will be my target.
  • drjcool1drjcool1 Posts: 44
    edited March 2012
    2013 RDX vs 2012 CRV

I am in the market for either the CRV or new RDX, both with navi. I have owned many Acura and Honda products. I'd like to get several opinions as to which folks prefer. Amongst the many questions I have...
    - Will the handling, torque, and acceleration be significantly better on the upcoming RDX (due out next week) ?
    - Will it be safe to use regular gas in the new RDX V-6
    -Is the new RDX interior much nicer than the CRV

My understanding is that the price difference between the 2 fully loaded is about 10K.

Anyway....let the discussion begin!!!
    without having driven one, my guesses are :

- Yes.
    - Maybe but probably not.
    - Nicer is a matter of taste, but richer looking with more gadgets, and more "overdone" styling.

• oldbearcatoldbearcat Posts: 173
    I own a competitor to the RDX and a 2010 Honda CRV. I think the RDX's handling, torque, and acceleration will be far superior to the CRV. The RDX is probably a premium fuel only vehicle. Interior wise - vehicles in the RDX's class are much more quiet, of higher quality, and more elegant.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
    2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 4Matic
    2010 Honda CRV
    1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Town Sedan
  • raptor11raptor11 Posts: 5
    Guys guys, Its unbelievable, I got 28.5 mpg avg so far (65% Highway and 35% City). 6/10th of a tank got me 220 miles.

I am sorry for previously stating that, I was disappointed about CRV mpg. I am revising my statement. It was my fault and I realized I was driving like nuts before. (especially cuz I was driving a 3.8L V6 before, I tended to be stomping on the gas all the time and braking hard).

In city, I let go of the throttle and let the car cruise/coast by itself, whenever I am going to hit a red light/stop sign. CRV has very low rolling resistance (improved bearings?, low friction engine?), which means there is plenty of potential energy in the body, the car will keep coasting for a while, till it comes to a stop. Try this technique by going easy on throttle, and watch the next 2 traffic lights ahead and use throttle wisely, you should see the remarkable difference. Mine is a 12' AWD EX. I am so happy with the purchase. I have no doubts about EPA. EPA estimates are for sane drivers. If you have driven a Turbo/V6 then, you have to be re-trained to drive a 2.5L honda. Honda's are feather like, its sips fuel, if you drive wisely. If you keep stomping on the pedal, you're gonna get 20mpg and nothing more. Get a V6 instead. But, I love my CRV with gas at $3.90.

I am going to join hypermilers club too. will keep posting my updates here....have fun guys. Safe driving. Enjoy your 2012 CRV guys.
  • putney1putney1 Posts: 24
    I am getting about 19mpg around town -I live, work and shop in a small area of 20 miles radius stop signs and lights-I am not happy with 19mpg.

I went to the city and back -highway and once again city 210 miles and back to an airport 25 miles away, local driving and work and shop got 25.1mpg. Not happy with my driving. The green rim is always there. I did some amount of coasting to lights. Up Hill seems like the CR V is dragging, with a good amount of noise and it is only myself in the 2012 EX CRV.
  • carteachcarteach Posts: 179
    I'm considering the same cars. Right now I'm driving a 2006 Acura TL and a 1995 Subaru wagon. When the wagon goes, I will need a car for my dogs and grand kids. So I'll be selling th TL. Thought about a subaru outback, but there were too many negative comments about it. I haven't seen seen the RDX yet and wonder of it's worth the price difference.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,762
    You might ask them if they will drop the certification on that used one for a better price. As reliable as Hondas are I never understood why having one certified was such a big deal.

You are paying for a warranty you will probably never use.
  • I have owned 10 new Hondas in the past 20 years. Best thing I can tell you is drive them like you are going to. There is a saying that fits, Drive Them Like You Stole Them. Honestly there is no break in perios anylonger except on Brakes and Clutches as they have to wear intot he droms or plates. Enjoy!
  • Why would anyone in their right mind buy a 2WD, when the 4wd is only 1 mpg diference? Does not make sense and I cannot figure out why they still even make them in 2WD.
    Why?

I'm in Seattle and the 2WD models make no sense at all but there are a lot of places in the US where 4 WD would never be needed. Why pay for something you would NEVER have a use for?
  • drjjjjdrjjjj Posts: 14
    I'm seriously considering a 2012 crv 2 wd but waiting for the 2013 rav for comparison and I'm in the NW but live in the flat lands, don't drive in snow/ice and don't ski anymore. The reason I'm considering the 2 wd over 4 wd is: it's a few extra thousand bucks, a few extra hundred pounds, the vehicle already has a limited slip feature and it's more maintenance! Also, I'm guessing it's more than a 1 mpg difference too regardless of epa estimates (drivetrain drag, etc) I'm sold on most of the Honda and Toyota products and want the better visibility, safety and space, but I seek at least 30 mpg on the highway without trying much! The new camry SE and Prius are on my list too but aren't as safe or as large!
    Just know that a 2WD CRV or Rav4 will be VERY difficult for you to resell
    down the road when the time comes.

It's not often that we really "need" 4WD around here but I can tell you there have been a few times I was very glad to have it!

" More maintenance"? Yeah, you have to change the rear diff fluid every 30,000 miles. That's the extent of it.

30 MPG may be overally optimistic for either a CRV or a RAV4.
  • drjjjjdrjjjj Posts: 14
    The 2wd is geared 5% taller/different than the 4 wd, it's about 200lbs lighter, if you go LX the tires are 5% thinner/taller maybe more complaint?, it's half an inch lower with some/a little driveline drag and the $2k less puts in the same price point as a camry se/etc I'm looking at. Perhaps the 4 wd has better resale, but maybe not-fewer lower priced better mpg 2wds in the long run! I'm in the NW and have yet to need any help with inclimate weather (in 10 years) and we drive rear wheel drive volvos (with limited slip) We do have the luxury of working aat home/calling in if it more a than an inch or two of snow however! Again, looking for car like drive, higher/commanding view/safety (3200lb min and extra height) , greater capacity and reliable/exc resale with 30 mpg on freeway @ 70 min threshold! Picky Engineer that will end up with Prius if gas stays above 4 bucks! China & India lining up for oil FYI! Drop the 50 state freeway limit to 60mph and most of us jump 5 mpg FYI!!
    drop the limit to 60 and gas usage won't change, since no one will slow down anyway.

as to the 2 vs 4 WD question, I have been looking at this class of 'car" (CRV and Mazda CX5 notably), and will be happy to get a FWD for all the reasons you mention.

In our case, it would be replacing an Odyssey minivan, and we have never had a problem getting around in that in the winter. And we would not be taking the "truck" off road.

these are basically just cars anyway with a wagon body and sitting slightly higher. Pretty much the CRV is a Civic wagon, and for the majority of people the AWD is just a psychological factor.

I still think that if you didn't tell the majority of softroad buyers that it was only FWD, they could go for years without ever figuring it out.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind on a 2WD.

Nothing "wrong" with them and if you feel you have no need for 4WD than go for it. Don't be surprised if you have a bit of trouble finding one since the local stores don't order very many.

We are on our 3rd one and they have been wonderful. Never a repair!
    I'm not sure where the "Civic Wagon" feelings come from but I've heard that before and it isn't so. The last Civic Wagon was sold in 1991 for one thing.

As far as having 4WD, ours never get offroad but there have been a few times when it really made the difference. With a set of Blizzzaks (ours dont have these) the 4WD CRV's will go almost anywhere!

Like the saying go's...

" It is better to have 4WD and not need it than to need it and not have it"
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Posts: 173
    edited April 2012
    drjjj: I've got a 2010 CRV LX 2WD, and, drive it for business. I've put 60K miles on it, mostly business trips running interstates at 70. I remain dissapointed with her fuel economy, which typically stays in the 24 - 27 Mpg range on my business travels. My last business driver, a Saturn Aura with the 229 HP 3.5 Liter V6 easilly got 30 MPG on my trips. The 4 Chrysler midsizers I owned before the Saturn, all with V6 power, did that well also. I was willing to put up with the CRV's modest performance - expecting it to deliver excellent fuel economy - but mine doesn't.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
  • I just got my 2012 CRV LX AWD. I got 34 mpg for couple of days commute drive (18 mile one way with mostly highway at average 70) from the trip computer. This is better than my 2002 Camry.
    the CRV is for all intents and purposes the wagon model in the civic lineup. they just "macho" it up and pretend it is a truck.

and I don't really agree about AWD, sinc eyou pay for it up front, and every mile you drive. might as well get a bigger car (might need the room some day!) and of course a V8, because it is better to have 200 extra HP on the off chance you might need ti, right?

Sorry, but the CRV has NOTHING to do with the Civic at all.

as far as the 4WD, 99.9% of the time I have no use for it but we do get snow here once in awhile and it does a great job. As a hiker I took it to a trailhead a couple of years ago and foolishly got into some deep mud while making a u-turn. I was able to get out of that mess.

So, buy a 2WD and be happy!

As far as 200 HP, I can't recall one time in my driving career when I've needed a bunch of extra power for any reason.

A CRV is what it is and certainly won't please everyone. We have two of them sitting in our garage and couln't he happier with them!
  • ss1003ss1003 Posts: 1
    Just about to finalize my deal for my 2012 CRV - so excited!!! My current car is a 2000 Civic - 195K miles and I loved the car, but now it's getting a lot of wear and tear (plus, it's getting small for my ever increasing family).

Question to the forum - did any of you get the extended warranties for powertrain, bumper to bumper, appearance (otherwise known as teflon warranty) or Roadside Assistance? I'm thinking I'll pass on all of these, but I'm curious to know other people's opinion. Thank you.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Posts: 155
    My wife just bought a 2012 CRV EX-L RES. Living in Tennessee we don't have much need for 4WD.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,329
    edited April 2012
    Pass on the warranties -- put the money in the bank as a repair fund. You probably will never use it.
  • sparklandsparkland Posts: 108
    I will purchase the extended Honda warranty online for about 60% cheaper than the dealer will charge. 8 yrs, 100,000 miles for $950.