Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Honda CR-V

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It sounds like you've already made up your mind on a 2WD.

Nothing "wrong" with them and if you feel you have no need for 4WD than go for it. Don't be surprised if you have a bit of trouble finding one since the local stores don't order very many.

We are on our 3rd one and they have been wonderful. Never a repair!
    I'm not sure where the "Civic Wagon" feelings come from but I've heard that before and it isn't so. The last Civic Wagon was sold in 1991 for one thing.

As far as having 4WD, ours never get offroad but there have been a few times when it really made the difference. With a set of Blizzzaks (ours dont have these) the 4WD CRV's will go almost anywhere!

Like the saying go's...

" It is better to have 4WD and not need it than to need it and not have it"
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    edited April 2012
    drjjj: I've got a 2010 CRV LX 2WD, and, drive it for business. I've put 60K miles on it, mostly business trips running interstates at 70. I remain dissapointed with her fuel economy, which typically stays in the 24 - 27 Mpg range on my business travels. My last business driver, a Saturn Aura with the 229 HP 3.5 Liter V6 easilly got 30 MPG on my trips. The 4 Chrysler midsizers I owned before the Saturn, all with V6 power, did that well also. I was willing to put up with the CRV's modest performance - expecting it to deliver excellent fuel economy - but mine doesn't.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
  • 2012crvlxawd2012crvlxawd Member Posts: 11
    I just got my 2012 CRV LX AWD. I got 34 mpg for couple of days commute drive (18 mile one way with mostly highway at average 70) from the trip computer. This is better than my 2002 Camry.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    the CRV is for all intents and purposes the wagon model in the civic lineup. they just "macho" it up and pretend it is a truck.

and I don't really agree about AWD, sinc eyou pay for it up front, and every mile you drive. might as well get a bigger car (might need the room some day!) and of course a V8, because it is better to have 200 extra HP on the off chance you might need ti, right?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Sorry, but the CRV has NOTHING to do with the Civic at all.

as far as the 4WD, 99.9% of the time I have no use for it but we do get snow here once in awhile and it does a great job. As a hiker I took it to a trailhead a couple of years ago and foolishly got into some deep mud while making a u-turn. I was able to get out of that mess.

So, buy a 2WD and be happy!

As far as 200 HP, I can't recall one time in my driving career when I've needed a bunch of extra power for any reason.

A CRV is what it is and certainly won't please everyone. We have two of them sitting in our garage and couln't he happier with them!
  • ss1003ss1003 Member Posts: 1
    Just about to finalize my deal for my 2012 CRV - so excited!!! My current car is a 2000 Civic - 195K miles and I loved the car, but now it's getting a lot of wear and tear (plus, it's getting small for my ever increasing family).

Question to the forum - did any of you get the extended warranties for powertrain, bumper to bumper, appearance (otherwise known as teflon warranty) or Roadside Assistance? I'm thinking I'll pass on all of these, but I'm curious to know other people's opinion. Thank you.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    My wife just bought a 2012 CRV EX-L RES. Living in Tennessee we don't have much need for 4WD.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    edited April 2012
    Pass on the warranties -- put the money in the bank as a repair fund. You probably will never use it.
  • sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    I will purchase the extended Honda warranty online for about 60% cheaper than the dealer will charge. 8 yrs, 100,000 miles for $950.
  • lion_kinglion_king Member Posts: 8
    Would you please elaborate on the extended warranty you purchase online? Is it authentic Honda warranty? Where do you buy from? Just bought the same 8 yr /100k mile warranty from the dealer for $1,690! I was promised to be able to cancel it within 30 days of issuance, and am thinking of cancelling.
  • ksayersksayers Member Posts: 59
    Go online, look up Honda extended warranties. I bought one for my wifes Pilot for 1/2 the price of the dealer, same warranty, same insurer.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    We have a discussion for that:

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Check it out!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Is there Daytime Running Lights in LX AW? I see dimmer headlights on all the time. Is there any control of it?

Thanks,
    Yes, one more thing forced on us by our well meaning government.

The Canadians had it first so they must be a good thing, right?
  • dtstofdtstof Member Posts: 61
    Yeah, crazy things like seatbelts, and get this, mine has air bags...
    Those aren't crazy things.

If my headlights are needed, it's an easy thing to turn them on myself as I do on most dreary days.
    Thanks. I am OK with it. Just wondering if I got Canada only model.
    I forget what year DRL's became standard on all Hondas. I think it was around 2006.
  • chaoskatechaoskate Member Posts: 5
    As the person who started this thread, I have reviewed all suggestions and remain extremely disappointed with the gas mileage. I get 17 miles in city driving, 19.3 combined. I probably drive somewhat more city than highway but am not at all heavy on the pedal. The only time I got the advertised mileage on the highway was when I did a test on a flat empty highway for 25 miles on cruise control. Honda advertised 22 city, 25 combined and 30 highway. Does anybody get this mileage in city as well as highway? I bought mine end of December and currently have about 3400 miles. Thanks.
  • putney1putney1 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 2012 CRV EX-L and my MPG is 19 city 28 highway. I would also like to know how many people are getting better MPG. I check the MPG each time I fill up letting go to almost empty.
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    I've got a 2010 CRV LX 2WD with essentially the same engine and drivetrain that the 2012 has. My CRV is driven for business and now has 66,000 miles on it. In the past 6 days, I've put 1000 miles on her - mostly interstate runs at 70 mph. Her fuel economy this week is running in the 23.5 - 25.5 range - which is pretty typical for her. Those results are with only me in the car with one suitcase and a computer bag. I checked on the True Delta website and about 25 MPG is the average for a 2010 CRV based on their owner survey data. I feel like I really drank the koolaid with this vehicle.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
  • lakerat83lakerat83 Member Posts: 11
    Ihave about 1700 miles on my 2012 CRV - I recently took it on a 400 mile round trip from Atlanta, through the mountains in TN, to KY. I got 34 mpg on the way up (the mountains were at the end of the trip up), and approx 30mpg on the trip back, when the mountains were at the start of the trip. Around town I get about 27mpg each week with mostly stop and go driving, though I am on an interstate for about 10 miles at a time.

I leave the car in ECON mode at all times; try that and see what happens...I am surprised that I have gotten that good of mpg, but it is a good surprised...plus, I do not let the tank get close to empty before refilling; I usually try to refill when it gets below 1/2 a tank, as that seems to maximize mpg. And, I like watching the estimated "range" guage - on gthe long trip it would, when coupled with the miles driven, go from 400 miles, to over 600 miles "guesstimated" on the "range to empty"...
    Hi Lakerat83

Is your CRV an AWD? I have never seen that kind MPG on my 2012 AWD CRV EX-L.
    It seems that those who are the most frustrated are the ones who constantly check their gas mileage. This isn't something I do very often.

A lot of factors are involved. How much ideling? Was the tank really full or did the nozzle shut off early? What were the outside temperatures?

For me, it isn't worth the time and frustration. I would also discount the stories of people who say they get mileage well better than the normal range.

When I do bother checking the mileage of our CRV's it seems they are always in the low 20's and that's with almost all city driving. For me, that's fine.
    Do you drive an AWD CRV ? I have never seen for myself over 19 around town. I work local, shop local, goes to the movies local and that is the best I see unless I go on the highway. I check by doing the division how many gallons were put into the tank and how many miles I went.
    a huge problem with comparing MPG is that no 2 people drive alike. Even City and Highway have very different meaning.

most people don't actually drive in a "city", that should really be local. For me, local is mostly 3 mile or less outings, with lots of stop signs and lights. Very rarely get up to highway speeds around town, then for just a few minutes. That just kills mileage.

Others live out in more rural areas, so "city" or "local" is a lot of longer drives on open roads.

Factor in weather conditions, hills, etc. and very easy to see why people will get quite different MPG.

highway too, depends on how fast you drive! 65 vs. 80 has a big impact.

I don't have a CR-V, but our 2005 odyssey (20-28 EPA ratings I think) is only good for 15-17 local, depending on AC usage, exactly where we go, etc. And I really don't expect more, since 20 around town in that driving is a fantasy.

Both of our CRVS are 4WD. I'm sure there are times they ahve done no betther than 19 MPG but they seem to do in the low 20's.

I don't care. That's fine for me.

Life is short and I'm not going to fret over my gas mileage.

But...that's me.
  • lakerat83lakerat83 Member Posts: 11
    Nope - 2WD EX-L with NAV...
    Thanks
    That might make the difference I see in the MPG.
    The differences in gas mileage between the 2WD and 4WD models isn't much. Maybe 1 MPG. It's not like they have the drag of a 4WD vehicle.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    edited April 2012
    I bought a used '09 EX-L 2wd in October 2011 with 46000 mi. I have rarely seen below 25 mpg, and seem to be easily averaging 27-28 mpg in my daily commute. It currently is at 58000 miles. Drove to Savannah and back, about 250 miles each way with AC on entire trip and got 30mpg. I often drive with the AC off,AUTO on, but AC off, but if it's hot out, I will turn it on. I have Michelin Latitude tires which might make some difference, but the one thing I've noticed is the instant gas mileage meter. I try to keep the bar graph in the 30+ range as much as possible while still driving the speed limit. We also have an '09 Civic EX that we bought new and it consistently gets 30mpg in my wife's local driving.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

edited April 2012
    My 2012 CR-V LX AWD has 700 miles with 31.3 and 30.3 MPG for 2 fill-ups, respectively. it is mostly for commute round trip 36 miles with 6 miles in local. I agree it is about the driving habit. My previous car Camry has average 33 mpg of total 236,000 miles that is mostly for round trip 150 miles highway commute.
  • disappointed63disappointed63 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2012 CR-V for 2 weeks. It is only getting 16 mpg in city driving. I called the dealer and they said to wait for the first oil change and the mileage should improve by then. Do you think that is possible?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd wait. Some people get good mpg from the first tank, but it took me over 4,000 miles on my last new car for the mpg to start to approach the EPA estimates.
  • ksayersksayers Member Posts: 59
    Possible, yes. Probable, no. No point in panic'ing now so give it a chance. In the interim, be more than casually aware of your typical acceleration techniques. Lead foot is... well... lead foot. Riding the brakes with "two foot pedal technique" botches mileage and brake pads but that probably isn't it. If your first oil change interval is 10K (my guess only) the difference in gas consumption is 625 gallons versus 435 gallons over that distance, 16mpg versus 23mpg. 200 gallons of gas... 800 bucks and that isn't chump change. I would think that the actual break in period is closer to 500-1000 miles so, hopefully, the pain is eliminated earlier. Good luck. Keep posting results.
    I got 11 mpg for the first mile brfore highway everyday. But I got average 31 mpg when arrive office. I could get 11 mpg if I had short trips everyday. MPG numbers are comparable only among similar trips.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Unless you drive a lot, you still haven't got through the first tank that you filled up, yourself.. The first tank might not have been full...

Unless your teenager has been test-driving it.... then 16 mpg might be a good number.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hi

I get 18mpg on my CRV AWD EX L around town /city driving with 1800 mile 2012 I am also not happy with the MPG. I also have had a problem with the radio which doesn't always come in clearly.
  • indigo1indigo1 Member Posts: 8
    I just got my CR-V LX model 4/28/12, drove it most of the day around town only. It is stating that my average mpg is 22.6 grant it, this is my first day with the car. I kept the econ on and watched for the green light to stay on. I agree with someone who posted that everyone drives differently and could very well get different results.
  • vistajayvistajay Member Posts: 4
    5000 miles on our 2012 CR-V LX-Nav. With about 80-90% city driving we are averaging 25.3 mpg, overall. When in the hwy we usually see 30mpg if driving 70 mph, and 34mpg if drive 55-60mph. Seems about right.
  • chaoskatechaoskate Member Posts: 5
    You are very lucky! Wish Honda would acknowledge this is what it's supposed to be.
  • joetravelerjoetraveler Member Posts: 2
    Right from the get-go, my brand new 2012 CR-V seems to have arrived with some sort of a computer controller problem, specifically with not allowing my iPhone to pair, and also problems with the iMID control functions. Symptoms started as they delivered my new vehicle to me with non-functioning Phone and Setting buttons (no response to the press). Then, problems also surfaced with the steering-mounted Display and Audio Channel toggle buttons (eratic, sometimes uncontrollable, screen movements between settings), in addition to the same eratic control of the Aux iPod control functions through the dashboard. Other functions not working include the customized Wallpaper input and some Back button functionality. Most other computer controlled adjustments (sound system, door settings, vehicle info, etc.) seem to be working properly, although at a very slow response rate like an old 486 PC that receives too many input commands at once and slows to a snails pace. At first, the dealer tried to perform a software re-install - that didn't work. Then, they replaced the Audio hardware unit without solving the problem either. Now, Honda Engineering is in contact with Panasonic to replace the Computer System Controller unit that apparently the phone and audio systems pass through to process command functions (which, by the way, I mentioned to the dealer right off was perhaps the problem - I know a few things about computers). I'm a bit concerned that a CARFAX report will show warranty work right off the bat with this vehicle, and that they're already plowing into the dash with repeated repairs - but not as much as just wanting these problems resolved - I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this same kind of problem with their new, 2012 CR-V, and what was done to resolve the issue - thanks. :confuse:
  • caffycaffy Member Posts: 5
    We've had our 2012 CR-V EX 2WD since 2/14/12. Our driving is more non-interstate highway than city (including TN rolling hills) - maybe 75%/25%. Our gas mileage on our most recent tank using the ECON button was about 29.3. Our lowest mileage was about 26.9 and, based on what we've seen so far, we fully believe that we'd get (at least) 30-31 when driving pure interstate on a long trip.

If anyone is not doing so, we would definitely recommend that you manually calculate your own gas mileage rather than solely relying on the vehicle display.
    Date Odometer Miles Gallons MPG Price Cost Oil Life
    04/07/12 263 263.0 8.404 31.29 3.659 30.75 100
    04/24/12 678 415.0 13.702 30.29 3.749 51.37 100
    05/07/12 1098 420.0 13.115 32.02 3.759 49.3 90
  • joetravelerjoetraveler Member Posts: 2
    Repair Update: 5/7/12 - Honda dealership technician performed all diagnostic tests per Honda Engineering (Reset System, Voltage/Resistance, Wiring/Cable Reel, Audio Unit, Remote Switch, HFL Unit) - finally narrowed down the problem to be a faulty Multi-Info Display Unit (NOT a "Computer Controller Unit" as I was originally told it was called). After replacement, the Phone, Setup (NOT the "Settings" button as originally stated), and Audio/Display functions/operations (Remote and Dash) all checked out OK, and the repair confirmed/closed. Honda DPSM said no other problems like this have been reported in his zone. Nice to have my new vehicle back - Honda provided (upon prompting by the dealership SM) a Goodwill gesture of a free accessory (except wheels) item. Issue closed.
  • frofountainfrofountain Member Posts: 2
    I have a brand new 2012 CRV less than 500 miles on it. I hear a hissing noise under hood... really loud when parked in my garage... Any idea what is could be?
    Maybe a snake?

Seriously, just open the hood and find out whre it's coming from. It could be something normal. Maybe not? The dealer can check it out for you!
    could be something with the AC?

• chinita78chinita78 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought my crv as well 3 days ago and I have the same problem and asked for assistance from my sales guy. He has no idea as well as to why this feature doesn't work on the iPhone. I figure maybe its an apple thing...