Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fight for recall of CVT for Nissan Rogues and the like

Comments

• mchan3mchan3 Member Posts: 1
    coralgables23, I am a new owner of a 2012 Rogue too. I am having the same issue like you, with a loud snap coming from the back part of the car when first taking off from being parked overnight. I was thinking I may not warm up the car good enough. So I tried 3, 5, 8 and even 10 minutes, however the snap sound still exists. Have you had you car checked with this issue? I have told the Nissan repair shop twice for the issue and was told I have to leave the car there for days for them to find out the problems. Kindly please advise.
    thanks.
  • bmf300bmf300 Member Posts: 2
    I brought my car to the shop with similar issues. My mechanic called the dealership and told him there are issues with the CVTs. I found this article online from Nissan:

http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2

CVT Program Details

Dear Nissan Owner:

On behalf of everyone at Nissan, we would like to thank you for choosing to drive a Nissan. One of the many technologically-advanced features of your vehicle is the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), an innovative transmission that offers smooth, seamless shifting, while tailoring the vehicle's output to your driving style.

While Nissan is proud to offer this technology on many of our models, a small percentage of owners of early models equipped with CVTs have expressed concerns about the cost of repair of their transmissions after the warranty expires. We take these comments about the cost of vehicle ownership seriously. We strive to provide an exceptional ownership experience and are implementing a thorough Customer Satisfaction Program to address this topic.

First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.
  • kgbatlkgbatl Member Posts: 10
    Yes that letter had been issued before we had our problem. The dealership also admitted that there had been problems but they could not duplicate the problem so nissan refused to do anything.
  • 2012rouge2012rouge Member Posts: 1
    Good morning. I am having so many issues on my 2012 Rogue SV. I was wondering if you contacted an attorney? If so, what did they tell you?
  • testagmtestagm Member Posts: 7
    After submitting a claim online with the Better Business Bureau, I was contacted by someone from Nissan's Arbritration department. Their number as of two years ago was 1 615-725-1000. The CVT was replaced at no cost to me. No issues since. Good luck!
  • gailintxgailintx Member Posts: 3
    Well, here I go again with car problems. 2010 Nissan Rogue. Purchased new 02/2010. Original transmission starting acting up December 2011. Replaced March 2012. NOW it is starting to act up again. Took it in for an oil change at my local Nissan dealer that I bought it from. I have the Gold Plan that give me free oil changes & tire rotation. I had 63,997 miles on it when I brought it in on Saturday. Once I left the lot after my oil change, I noticed it was accelerating "weird." I blew that off and drove the 20 miles back home. My traction control light came on, even when completely stopped. Then when trying to accelerate from a stop, it would hesitate at 20 mph, rev up the RPMs, then slowly accelerate up to normal speed. Twice the next day it wouldn't go at all. Car didn't stall or turn off, just wouldn't accelerate from a stop. We are leaving on a trip tomorrow, so I took it to the dealership at 7:00 am this morning and demanded they figure out what is wrong with it. After 3 hours, they claim it was the stop lamp switch. Said it was $50. I said check again, I am not paying anything. I have extended warranty. Thank goodnees I did. Fingers crossed that was really the culprit this time...
  • vabelleintnvabelleintn Member Posts: 8
    Well, I had hoped for so long I would be able to avoid the Rogue transmission problems. I have a 2008 that I purchased in October of 2007. I love Nissan and this is my fourth, but man has she been a lemon. There is a running joke in my house about when she will need her next tow (she is averaging one every 9 months or so), however with all the problems it seemed I was going to avoided the CVT curse. Well over the weekend it finally hit. I had been hearing a whining/grinding in the car for months, but based on the other owners who had talking about their problems it seemed Nissan was dismissing the noise as a non-issue. This weekend the noises turned into a slipping transmission that had a hard time accelerating. My spouse and I almost got hit because the car just wouldn't go and someone came up behind me really fast and I couldn't get the car down the road. Plus this slipping is not a lot of fun to deal with. I took the car to my dealer this morning who immediately dismissed my claims; stating that whining, grinding and slipping could be "anything". They have had the car all day and still haven't been able to "duplicate the problems". I know (and my spouse knows) the car is dangerous to drive. I am fairly sure the dealer is going to try and return the car to me today without doing a thing. I have 17K miles left on the extended warranty and won't rest until I have the new transmission I know the car needs. Between the lackluster support from my dealer and the terrible trouble I have had with my Rogue; I have decided this will be my last Nissan. And if I was in a place to purchase a new car, I would get rid of it today. :sick: :mad:
    edited June 2013
    I wanted to add an addendum to my original comment. My dealer ended up giving me NO trouble about the replacement. They drove it twice and the second time it was obvious the transmission was the problem. They ordered a new transmission ASAP and even apologize for doubting me. I still am disappointed that the car has had such problems, but today my dealer did what they could to make it right.
  • ollie43ollie43 Member Posts: 1
    After reading these postings it makes me wonder. I have a 2008 Rogue with a almost 70,000 miles. On acceleration I hear a noise that sounds life a beehive at a distance. Once I reach the speed I want it goes away. Also my car will shudder as if it wants to turn off and I was told that is normal for a car with this type of transmission. Are they pulling my leg. Do I have problems. I am 70 and I wonder it that makes them think they pull the wool over my eyes.

Any comments?
    They may be trying to avoid having to deal with your Rogue issues. As for the beehive noise, my car made a high pitch almost squeal or a grinding noise that sounds like metal grinding on metal. I can't place a beehive sounds. As for the stalling, my car has been doing that for ages, especially when the AC is on. I was also told it was normal, but when I get the car back next week and have the new transmission, I will post again to tell if the issues in my car have disappears or are still there and unrelated to my bad transmission.
  • natashalnatashal Member Posts: 5
    Ready to give up the Rogue. I've experienced all of the problems from the winding noise to the slipping transmission. Always dismissed by dealer as normal. Well, while travelling with the kids on yesterday, it quit. I couldn't get the car to go the RPM's would but the car would not increase in speed. I sat on the side of the highway for over two hours before being towed to the closest dealership in which I was told that if the transmission needed to be replaced it would cost me about $4500. Can't do that, when I was told that noises and such were normal. Started my quest this morning looking for a new car. Need something reliable since it will be used to transport my daughter to and from college.
  • gailintxgailintx Member Posts: 3
    How many miles do you have on your car? Transmission should have 120,000 mile warranty. Also have them check the Brake Lamp Switch. That was my last issue, RPM's but could not increase beyone 20 mph. Had it replaced last Monday under warranty and have had no issuses since. Fingers crossed this was my last issue. I still want to get rid of this car.
  • bmf300bmf300 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I took the advice on the posts and brought it to the dealer. They replaced the transmission and the car is MUCH better. I was having the whining noises and it fixed the delay in the acceleration. It did take them two days to fix it but I am much happier. Of course they tried to sell me other worthless fixes at the dealer. My AC wasnt working and they quoted me $850 to fix it (cost after the investigation fee). I brought it to a local mechanic and they charged me $240. My advice: Check Nissan.com for recall info, bring it to the dealer and tell them a local mechanic checked it first and found this recall. When they try to sell you the other stuff, tell them you would think about it. I still enjoy the rogue at this point - 78k miles and still going (knock on wood) (or as my UK friends say - touch wood). here is the link to the Nissan Site: http://www.nissanassist.com/faqs.php

Good Luck!
    Nissan is gone. Anyone knows of anyone who needs parts for a Rogue minus a transmission. I refuse to put any more money into this car. I can put my focus on getting more reliable transportation, and not having the headache of trying to figure out when the car will break down again and how much it will set me back.
  • miatajermmiatajerm Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 rogue that I have been having transmission issues with for a year. if you drive the car for an hour or so constant on the freeway it will not accelerate properly. the dealer says they don't know what is wrong with it because it doesn't throw a code in the computer for the diagnostics. they drive it for five min around the block and it wont create the problem ,so they don't know whats wrong with it. I am glad to know I am not the only one with these issues. they do need a recall on these cause all of the sudden your doing 70 on the freeway then you end up slowing down to 40 because the car wont accelerate up the hill on the freeway. its dangerous and needs to be dealt with.
  • rustywerrustywer Member Posts: 21
    That its the exact same problem I had before we got rid of the vehicle (08 Rogue). To the best of my technical ability, here its what its going on with your Rogue. After driving for an extended time the transmission heats up, there its a temperature sensor that reports to the powertrain control module. It reports the temperature by a voltage level and that is translated by the microprocessor into a value of temperature. When I did extensive testing of our rogue, I could read both the voltage and the translated datum on a diagnostic scanner. According to nissan, the translated data should be showing temperatures that are expected within the transmission during operation, but if you compare the voltage from the temperature sensor and the translated datum, the translation is telling the transmission control portion of the control module that it is operating at too high a temperature level and the protection or failsafe routine in the program kicks in and the transmission goes into a limp mode, which locks the transmission into what we would say is the equivalent of 3rd gear and limits the engine rpm. This limp mode is designed to allow a safe transition off of a highway in the case of a transmission fault.

When this occurs, the pcm does not set a fault code because it is a temperature issue and not an electrical malfunction. Therefore there is no record of the limp mode activation.

The funny thing about this whole thing is that the dealer tries to explain this by saint that the transmission fluid level its too high, and will drain out the fluid that its intended to lubricate and cool the transmission. When I continued my diagnostics on my own rogue, I found that the actual transmission temperature was not as hit as the translated datum said it was, but the voltage level coming from the sensor itself was what would be expected at the temperature that I measured.

All nissan should need to do its review the programming and test one of these vehicles with the reported problem, and either prove our disprove my theory of failure in this case. I got to the regional rep, and it went nowhere.

BTW, I'm not an engineer or anything. I am a auto service manager, with an electronics technical background from the navy.
  • wlt3wlt3 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2008 rogue and its been giving me problems the last few months, where its non-responsive after a long ride and coming to a stop. It has also has become much more sluggish when driving around town. I'm concerned because I drive a fairly dangerous stretch of highway every day. The car has 119,125 and I'm actually affraid to drive it.

While its always been noisy since day one, it has always functined up until about 10,000 miles ago. I did not realize this car had a CVT when I bought it, but I doubt I would ever buy another one. I driven many foreign and domestic cars well over 200k in my life without any siginificant transmission probems.

How much do these noise boxes cost?
    Ok so our 2008 Rogue that stopped accelerating up hills on a long trip a couple of years ago and Nissan refused to do anything about did it again on a fairly short trip (45 min into a drive). I refused to take it on a long trip because I value my children's safety. My husband e-mailed Nissan corp headquarters and they are going on about the transmission fluid levels. While dropping it off at the dealership we ran into another Rogue owner that said that he had the same problem for a year and half and supposedly changing the level of fluid fixed the problem but that if they service it and overfill it the problem comes back. Somehow I find this really hard to believe. As far as I recall from the posts on here, adjusting the transmission fluid level did not fix the problem. I don't have time to read back through alll of the posts so was hoping that someone would see this and respond. I would love to just dump the car but feel like Nissan needs to take ownership and I would not wish this problem on anyone else.
    I was quoted right at $4000 for a new transmission by the dealer. :mad:
    Welcome to the nightmare of the nissan rogue. If you search on my posts you will see what I have been through and what I have found out. The problem isn't the fluid. It its the temperature data that the control module interprets as a high temp condition that throws the transmission into failsafe mode. Good luck with nissan, they have refused to do anything with this problem.
    Its just not worth fixing because its a piece of garbage. I never had as many problems, with other new cars, mostly little stuff but nonetheless annoying. As with any car as it gets older, you will need a timing belt, and if it needs a trans too you have a disposable car not worth fixing. I had a datsun pickup truck that had nearly 400, 000 miles on it. It actually never stopped running even as it rusted away. They pinch out crap now. I will never buy another vehicle from Nissan, or any other vehicle with a CVT. A friend of mine had an Audi with CVT and his experience was worse than mine. He went through 3 of these things.
    They won't do anything until you file a lawsuit against them. And then they still won't do anything but they will spend 1000s defending the lawsuit. If they are not willing to correct an engineering defect which causes powertrain failure you should not buy a vehicle from such a company. While I got 119k out of the car, its a shame because the engine works flawlessly. But I think I'm going to toss it because its going to cost more to repair than it is worth. Any ideas for a replacement? What small SUVs do not have a CVT?
  • ms29ms29 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same proble, I took the car to the dealer 3 times complaining about accelleration problems and they thought I was crazy. They told me that CVT transmissions are like that and there is nothing wrong. One day I got the service light and brought it back to the dealer. I took the service technician for a drive to show him the problem and he was the only one at Nissan that knows what he is talking about. Even he agreed that these are the worst cars you can possibly get. After they diagnosed the car I received a call that the car needed a CVT change. Duuugggghhhhhh! Anyways, I did the best thing ever and just sold the car. Bottom line is that even if you were able to take advantage of the recall, you will experience problems again. Any car that has had a transimission change is bound to experience more problems. These cars are junk, get rid of it. Buy yourself a Honda or Toyota and you cant go wrong.

Good luck.
    All cars are junk. I own three cars. One 2010, one 2008, and they are both junk. My 1998 Buick has 234,000 miles on it and runs better than both of them did new.(cash is worth less than the clunker) Car companies and other companies simply cannot afford to make a decent car. Producing anything into a negative interest rate environment with rising costs is the kiss of death.

If it weren't for this garbage transmission, it would be a decent car. Nissan needs to dump these crap CVTs immediately, but that would take admitting they made a mistake, and that just isn't going to happen. They rather pay for consumer reviews and pretend nothing is wrong.
    Currently looking for a new vehicle. Nissan refuses to stand behind their product (2008 Nissan Rogue). They knew problems existed and still exist with this product and refuse to accept responsibility because it will hurt their profits.
  • van65van65 Member Posts: 13
    I have been reading the comments for about 6 months w/o responding. I find the caliber of most of the complaints to be in the bottom of the barrel. Be constructive and quit the crying.
    My suggestions.
    1. Tell your dealer who won't listen that you'll go to the local press, Craigs list, Angies List, BBB, etc. They don't like you doing that.
    2. Find out the corporate number for Nissan in the USA and call them, or ask for the Regional VP.
    3. Contact the National Safety and Transportation Board and file a formal complaint.
    4. Don't buy a used Rogue w/o a thorough Fax Report.
    I own a 2011 Rogue. No problems. I do recommend that you use the hand (foot ) brake every time you park. That puts less strain on the transmission.
    For your information I have done all of that. Your vehicle is not even affected. While you are definitely entitled to your opinion don't try to belittle others to boost your self-worth. Be part of the solution not try to aggravate the problem.
    Cmon Van,
    Please get a clue here. We, the owners who have had problems with the Rogue have been through all the wickets. The Nissan Rogue has transmission problems (FACT). Nissan refuses to look into problems that are apparent with numerous occurances of loss of power, transmissions going into failsafe mode with no Transmission Fault Codes or Freeze Frame Data Records Stored. Even after contacting Nissan, they refuse to expend $$$ investigating something that nobody can prove without kidnapping a technical service representative and taking them on an elongated drive and getting the vehicle to act up.

I have personally provided all my technical data, my observations during operation, my testing results, and my hypothesis to the regional folks and it went NOWHERE. Because the NTSB won't address this problem unless it kills someone, or it becomes a big enough issue that the mainstream media will report on it.

If you are happy with your 2011 Rogue, I'm happy for you. I was happy with mine until it reached the expiration of the extended transmission warranty and then I got the cold shoulder from Nissan. I hope you don't experience this with yours. But if you do, you know where to post your Kvetches. Right here with the rest of the forgotten owners that Nissan doesn't care about. :confuse:
  • jamiejessjamiejess Member Posts: 1
    OK.... I thought I was starting to go crazy until I found this thread. I have a 2010 Nissan Rogue, certified pre-owned that I purchased last Sept. In the last 30-45 days, it's been not accelerating correctly. I took it into dealership to have them look at it...and was charged $89 for them to tell me they could find nothing wrong with it. So, I took it out of town on a business trip 1,400 miles from home..only to have it start acting up about 6 hours from my destination. Going up hills, my cruise control cut off, and the car would no longer go above 55-60mph(not too safe loosing power like that when the speed limit is 75mph). You could push the accelerator all the way to the floor, and the car would not accelerate anymore..and the RPM's would not exceed 2. This happened 4 times in the next 6 hours...would last about 15-20 minutes, and then, power would come back.

Took it back to dealership today, for them to tell me.... they again test drove it & could not "reproduce" what I was describing. Duh... you drove it 10 miles down the street and back. I pushed the issue, and they are currently keeping it overnite. The technician did mention the Rogue having transmission problems, but my car was "not yet" showing the exact signs, so for them to do a flush now may not fix the problem. I'm still under warranty, as I'm currently at 71K miles, & was told that because Nissan is aware of this problem in certain Rogues, they have extended the transmission warranty to 125K, instead of the 100K.

This is not safe. Out of the 4 times I lost power on my last trip going up-hill, on 2 of those occasions there was someone behind me. They both times had to quick swerve around me, to avoid rear-ending me at 75mph, as I lost power down to 55-60mph.
    We had the same exact experience several times. The car would not accelerate on the hills and cut off the cruise control automatically. We contacted Nissan headquarters, got help from them and they sent us back to the dealership for the 3rd time after not getting anywhere previously. The technician drove it home overnight (2nd time) but he said he only lived 1 hour from the dealership which we knew probably would not replicate the results. They finally decided to replace the transmission. While we were dropping off the car, we ran into another Rogue owner who told us he dealt with this issue for a year and a half. He said he also received a new transmission but that did not work. He said he worked with the service manager until they determined it was the fluid level. He said they adjusted the fluid level and that solved the problem but when he took it in for service one time, they overfilled it again which caused the same problem all over.

I am very skeptical based on previous posts that the transmission fluid level solves the problem. We now need to take the car on a long trip to test the new transmission but I am honestly fed up with dealing with the car. When the first incident happened on a long trip, I filed a complaint with the national transportation safety commission so that could at least track the problems.

Contact Nissan headquarters, explain the situation and get them to do something but even then I still don't know if there is a fix. You may get a new transmission but if it is a design problem or other problem that they refuse to recognize it may not make a difference.
  • bille60bille60 Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 2008 Rogue S AWD new from the dealership. Nice looking, fun to drive, great safety features, and the AWD is fantastic. Never really had any major problems with it - never had to be towed. I noticed the transmission had a slight high pitch whine when it was new - going up steep hills. I thought it was just normal for a CVT. Then as time went on (about 20,000 miles) the transmission developed a loud high pitch whine going up steep hills - especially in the summer heat. At 30,503 miles the dealer replaced the transmission fluid because of my complaints about the CVT noise. This original CVT lasted to 56,562 miles, and then Nissan replaced it. I thought we were ok, but the new CVT had a low level whine right out of the box. Then I got a notice from Nissan to bring the vehicle in so they could recalibrate the computer? It sounded good so I did it, only to discover they set the vehicle's computer to reduce my power when the transmission got hot - usually going up steep hills. The change was obvious, since it started losing power right after this recalibration - it would allow me to only go 45 MPH. This power loss was only on very steep hills, and was rare. It did not cause a major problem yet. I was on a long trip and passing a truck only to have the transmission give us a loud pop and loss of power - not good. This CVT made it to 90,888 miles before it nearly died. I would sit at a stop sign, pressed the accelerator, and the car did not move and the engine would not increase RPM's. After a short time it would allow us to move. At 90,888 miles the dealer again replaced the CVT (I'm sure rebuilt) and I assumed they would have discovered the weakness and fix any new transmission they rebuilt and installed in my Rouge - wrong. It's obvious, to help extend the life of this defective transmission they set the vehicle's computer to lower the RPM's when it get just slightly hot. Heat appears to be what kills this transmission. I just got back from a long trip in the middle of nowhere Nevada and the CVT got hot and reduced our power to 2,500 RPM's for over 100 miles. It has become a major safety problem. I've completely lost my respect for Nissan and specifically the CVT. It's time to try and trade it back to Nissan. I would have considered a different Nissan, but... If they don't treat me right I will spend the rest of my days on blogs, forums telling people my story. We'll see.
  • last_nissanlast_nissan Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I have a 2009 Rogue and on my second transmission. The first one was replaced because the dealer didn't know what the "Fail Safe Mode" was when I explained the loss of power while driving through the mountains on a hot summer day. The new tranny still gets hot and still I lose power, so we now use my wife's car for long trips in the summer. Very disappointing purchase, as this is my second Nissan. I think I'm so frustrated based on the fact there is not a fix.
  • amber23amber23 Member Posts: 1
    Did you have problems with your Rogue coming out of cruise control? Mine is doing this for the second time already and seems to center around taking trips lasting longer than one hour. Both times on a 3 hour trip it came out of cruise control about 4 times each trip.
  • hammer38hammer38 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2013 Rogue, and I want to warn everyone who is thinking about buying one. This is the worst car I have ever owned. The engine/ transmission
    is a total disappointment. When driving up a slight incline the engine will go from 2000RPM to over 3000RPM, when trying to accelerate, the engine will go to over 4000RPM with out any increase in speed. It feels like something is slipping. You will take you life in your hands when tying to pass some one on an incline. I have had the engine RPM as high as 5000RPM without any increase in speed.
    The combined gas mileage is 22 MPG, which explains the problem.
    Nissan is of no help.
    I am going to write a letter to the Transportation Board to see if they have similar complains.
    Please, if you have any suggestion I would like to hear them.
  • bteeleybteeley Member Posts: 5
    I have exactly the same problems listed above.
    The dealer I purchased the car from cpo replaced the transmission under warranty immediately.
    Currently, I have taken the car to two other NJ dealerships and they refuse to acknowledge the issue. The car sounds like a truck now.

I filed a complain on the NHTS website today, I will let you know if anything comes of it. Thanks for the good info on here.
  • hammer38hammer38 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks bteeley,
    I have called the dealership to see if they have a loaner car for a test drive to see if it has the same problem, but they have not replied, and I don't expect the to.
    I will also file a complaint with the NHTS today.
  • ed74ed74 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    I too have had major issues with my 2008 rogue. I had the transmission replaced at 60,000 and 90,000miles. It did the same thing both times. After 20-30 minutes a whining noise would start upon acceleration and would worsen as the day would go on. By the end of the day it was so evident I could hear it with the windows open driving on the highway. After the hassle of having it replaced twice I stalled until just before the 120,000 mile warranty ended. The dealer had been pretty good with the other two replacements and again recommended the transmission be replaced. NH has a pretty strong lemon law so I applied and Nissan corp was informed. A genius nissan tech from out of state was called in to inspect the vehicle. He decided to override the initial dealer technician's assessment and stated the vehicle did not need a third transmission. How convenient for Nissan!!!! The vehicle never has ran right. It had multiple recalls early on and has been the worst driving car that I have owned (and I have owned some clunkers in the past). So 10 months later the car still does the same thing and is getting worse. I finally decided to try again at 140,000miles, and took it back to the dealer. This time the tech doesn't hear a thing. Note: I have dealt with the same service manager for the past 5 years. I asked them if they gave the car a chance to warm up 20-30 minutes and put it under load and he said "of course". I am now scheduled to take the car in at the end of the day next week when the noise and decreased power is most prominent. Something just isn't right with this car. I drive mostly highway 300-400 miles a week. I have had the breaks and routers replaced 4 times. I had the rear pads and routers replaced last year. Strong vibration recently caused me to bring it back in as I assumed the fronts needed replacement. Nope, the backs were gone again. My driving style hasn't changed and isn't aggressive as I drive all day and want to get home safely. I have the tires rotated every 5,000 miles and have an unlimited alignment program. This car is a piece of $%&!. Will never buy Nissan again. I sometimes drive my teenage daughters 2003 Honda accord with 190,000 miles and it feels like a luxury car.
  • love4cars1love4cars1 Member Posts: 2
    Did you say CVT Transmission? Yes a nightmare, I'm just about to go on my 3rd. transmission for an Altima 2008, the price tag? over $4000.00
    And my local dealer AV. Nissan in Palmdale CA. not even want to talk to my personal technician, when he called for just one question, the answer was: Are you going to fix it?? well, then figure it out for yourself...Great car and Great customer service...I wish.
  • ed74ed74 Member Posts: 2
    yes the 2008 rogue has the cvt transmission and it is known to be faulty. That's why nissan increased the warranty from 60,000 to 120,000 miles. Their technicians have been educated on how to deal with this issue and play it very well. Even though I have already had two cvt replacements they still act as though I am certifiable when I say that the whining noise has returned once again. They make it difficult so that many will just give up trying. This is why I will never again buy a Nissan and I blast them when anyone asks "how do you like the rogue". Im pretty sure I've already stopped a couple dozen people from purchasing one.
  • courtlukenscourtlukens Member Posts: 1
    I'm so glad I found this page and all the other owners experiencing the same problem. At least I now know I'm not crazy.

The 2011 Rogue is my wife's car but we use it for longer trips. I've always thought the transmission was whiny (always hated CVTs) but about an hour into a long trip a few months back it started to sound like the transmission was literally screaming when I would press on the accelerator. Not long after that happened the transmission stopped "stepping down" and we would lose power when needed. We could still maintain a reasonable speed on level terrain, but things fell apart when we'd have to go up a hill/mountain or pass someone. Once we'd make a pit stop, turn the car off, do our thing, then start the car and get back to driving, everything would be fine. But after a while of extended driving the problem would return.

This issue has shown up a few time since then but always during extended driving sessions and never on the day-to-day short commutes, which has made it frustrating to track. We haven't yet taken it into the dealership for fear that we'd hear the typical "We can't recreate the problem". But now that I've found a plethora of other owners reporting the same problem, we have some ammo.
    Well, so small backstory. Back in June after thinking I had avoided the curse of the 2008 Rogue CVT, I realized that my transmission was shot. While the dealer looked at me like I was speaking Swahili when I took the car in and told them it needed a new transmission; after testing driving it for a day it was obvious that was the problem and the tranny was replaced. Well, for about a week the car seemed OK, then is started to fall apart. 2 months later the car is barely driveable. I have almost no power, at any time, and am lucky if the car makes it to 65. The car shakes and jerks, especially when braking or going over 50. I have taken the car to my excellent mechanic (not the dealer) and they said there is defiantly something wrong, but they can't make sense of it. They said to take it back to the dealer. He actually thinks they did some kind of engine damage installing the new tranny. I still have about 14K miles left on the warranty, but at this point am not sure it is worth using it. I have been a loyal Nissan owner from my very first car 20 years ago, but after this Rogue I will not buy another one. Nissan should be ASHAMED of the way they have handled this situation (and to be honest several other issues I am hearing about from owners of other models). These CVT's in the Rogue has been a disaster and Nissan ignored owners for YEARS over it. When they finally acknowledged the problem, we got a half-hearted warranty extension. Then when we take our cars into dealers, we get treated like crazy people. I busted my dealer out for this treatment in the survey I got from Nissan after the service and I encourage others to do the same.
  • dea2608dea2608 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Hate this car! I have a small child of 5 months and while I bought it for her safety, it has gotten me already into two accidents because the brakes don't work as they are supposed to. I pray that they recall this car ASAP because dealership isn't taking responsibility. 25 years of driving experience have not encounter such garbage
  • van65van65 Member Posts: 13
    What year is the Rogue? This is the first time i have heard of brake problems with the Rogue.
    Have you checked the fluid level under the hood? You can find the reservoir in the manual for the car. Are there fluid leaks on the ground under the car.
    If the dealership won't fix it ask for the regional director for service.
    So, I posted a message to Nissan via the website and received a call several days later. He had called my local dealer (Haldeman) to check out my story and spoke with the service manager. We had a reasonable discussion and he told me to make an appointment with the dealer via the service manager. So at this point, I have called and left a message for him waiting a call back.
  • erikb717erikb717 Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2013
    hey everybody, i just got a 2008 Nissan Rogue, SAWDL. a huge whining came when i pressed down the accelerator, i found the CVT 120,000 miles/ 10 year replacement.... and the dealer service replaced the CVT under warranty, there are only 42,000 miles on it

so now the whining noise is gone, -------BUT guess what is here WORSE than ever ???? Between 1000-1500 RPMs the whole cars vibrates!!! what the heck?? i took it in and they said they reset the ECM or something and theres nothing else they can do??

im worried because this car is for my wife and 14 month old daughter and ive read after numerous CVT replacements, the engine fails and you cannot accelerate through an intersection, up a hill, away from an accident etc....

does anyone know how to fix this??? please let me know. im thinking of contacting corporate, but it just sounds like its a bad car... :( E
    Erik,
    So strange you should post today, as I have the almost identical problem with my car. You can read back through the thread and see my history of posting. But I got a 2 transmission put in my car in June and it goes back to the dealer today for the exact reason. The car shakes and vibrates like crazy. I will respond to let you know what repair (If any) my dealer does and if it helps.
    THanks, so much, looking forward to hearing it

I'll let you know what happens when i pick up the car if its any better from the ECM reset/update....
    edited September 2013
    Well...Another load of BS from a Nissan Dealer. First and Foremost, know that if you have a Rogue that gets a replacement transmission it is NOT a new tranny, but a rebuild. Learned that yesterday from a tech. So I took the car in yesterday, had a tech ride with me. When we got back he said he felt it needed a new tranny. Just got a call from the service manager who claims I need a new alternator (a 600 dollar repair) and need to have my rotors turns. My mechanic JUST looked at the rotors and said they were fine. They just don't want to put in a second tranny in 4 months. AS soon as I can, this Rogue is GONE. No more Nissans for me after 20 years of ownership.
    edited September 2013
    so wait, you're saying the replacement CVT that I got installed from the Nissan Dealership is a REBUILD?? like a refurb? It's not an actual New Nissan CVT ??

That would explain why this 2nd CVT vibrates A LOT MORE than the original CVT that was just replaced.

Does anyone else have proof of this? Please let me know. I am getting a call back from Corporate today at 4pm
    You should report that dealer to Nissan USA. It is a very simple test to confirm the alternator works and that the rotors are fine.

Nissan USA has been reasonably accountable in my experience, they should know what their dealers are telling people.