Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fight for recall of CVT for Nissan Rogues and the like

jc2010jc2010 Member Posts: 31
edited June 2017 in Nissan
I am reading that many consumers are having issues with brand new nissans and their CVT's...inlcuding mine. Just bought a new rogue in April. Drove it from NY to Maine with 1700 miles on it and trouble began. The service engine light came on and we had trouble accelerating...both in drive and in reverse. I believe this is a safety issue and should be brought to a higher level. I heard from multiple dealers that they are starting to see this issue as well, but Nissan doesn't seem to know how to correct it. I am giving them time to correct the issue with my rogue, but if they do not correct it and do not reimburse me for an extra night of accommodations due to us getting stuck in MA on the way home and a rent a car which I am avoiding for right now due to cost, I will be writing to my congressman and to the senate to make them aware of the safety issue this is causing all of us. We lost acceleration power while coming out of a toll on Rt. 95 and when trying to get back onto the highway after filling the rogue with gas, the acceleration was so horrible that I didn't chance getting onto that highway with oncoming traffic...I believe on Rt. 1 in MA. If I was an inexperienced driver or just thought that the rogue would've made it onto that highway, there would've been a major accident causing bodily injury or death to myself and my husband and to all others involved. This is a huge safety concern and I feel we need to ban together to get this taken care of quickly!!! The CVT's, I was told from one of the dealers are on International back order...that in itself tells us something and also, the fact that the warranty for the CVT has been extended from 5 years/60K miles to 10 years/120K miles....that says something else. This is a huge issue causing many of us an inconvenience but also putting us in danger. I've already contacted Nissan NA and Nissan consumer affairs. If I don't hear anything from them soon or if I don't like what I am hearing, I will be escalating it from here. Consumers...let's stick together!!!!

Comments

• omaitaomaita Member Posts: 16
    Interesting, I didn't have any problem yet with my 09 Rogue AWD, There was a recall couple months ago to upgrade a software.
  • shilohduffeyshilohduffey Member Posts: 16
    ... we recently purchased two '10 Rogue SL's, and have had absolutely no issues whatsoever ... well, maybe the MPG aren't quite what we expected, but both vehicles are performing beautifully. We've read much about the CVT "drone," but find it inconsequential. We'd be glad to join you in your quest, but we have not experienced any trouble. We wish you well.
  • basskitcasebasskitcase Member Posts: 11
    I agree. Something needs to be done. But what? I purchased a 2010 rogue. after 200 mi. it needed a new CVT transmission. This was only determined after replacing a,"coupler", rear differential, and after bringing in an"engineer from Nissan they installed a new transmission. This noise came back though not as often. I feel that it is happening more and more frequently. I brought the car to Nissan and the mechanic said that the noise/vibration is normal. In fact my rouge," actually made less noise than the three he drove for comparison after replacing my transmission. Should I be happy about this? As for Nissan Consumer affairs(LOL). They came just short of telling me to pound sand. I'm fit to be tied here. Any ideas/input.
  • jc2010jc2010 Member Posts: 31
    Mine didn't make the noise that I'm reading everyone else is reading about...although I'm worried that when I get it back, it will. How old is your rogue now? B/c my issue caused a safety issue to both my husband and I and others on the road, I have emailed the National Safety Commission and gave them a brief summary of my concern. They do need enough complaints for something to be recalled...but b/c the noise issue is more of a nuisance and not safety, I don't think you can place a complaint with them..at least it wouldn't go anywhere. Heck, my complaint won't go anywhere either...we need #'s!!! Yeah...consumer affairs is a waste of people getting paid!! That's for sure. I'm not sure what Nissan is paying them to do. Blow smoke is about it. It is so damn frustrating, I know. I'm bringing mine in tomorrow for the replacement and should have it back on Tuesday. If it starts to make noise, you bet I will make a stink. I will figure something out as should all of us. This is totally unacceptable. Pass the word around to family, friends, etc...and Nissan will begin to be hurt by this lack of attention or quality to their product. I pass the word around to many I speak to and warn them....DO NOT BUY NISSAN!!!! I tell them about the warranty extension..and right there, their eyes light up. That, in itself, says alot. Then I tell them about the acceleration issue we experienced. They will think twice before stepping into a Nissan dealer. How many times have you had your rogue repaired. Only the one time? Will they not replace it again. The answer they gave you is unacceptable. I work in a building where I have access to the press, and if I have to, I will take it there. Check your local news stations and things like that. We need to make a stink about it. Try the better business bureau..put a complaint in there. Also, I want to get in touch with someone at consumer reports....they praise the CVT. I think we need to tell them otherwise. Spread the word...that's what we need to do...by any means possible. Let me know how you make out. It will take some energy and drive...but the more that complain the better off we will be!!!!!
    edited August 2010
    I got this three weeks ago and it was in the shop for 10 days. I can't tell you how upset I am. I was talking to a service guy and was asking about returning the car or getting a replacement. I mentioned that not too long ago my brother-in-law had a similar issue w/ his jeep and it took about a month but they gave him a new one. You what he told me? "Nissan is at a different level that jeep, who has been struggling lately for sales. They will do just about anything to keep a customer in a Jeep". WHAT?????? He must have been the owners nephew because I would have dropped the ax a while ago. He was even making jokes about it. I have to stop know. I won't be able to get any sleep after this
  • testagmtestagm Member Posts: 7
    I am so disappointed to report that three weeks after purchasing a new 2010 AWD Nissan Rogue SL, I too have already had a scary experience. I was driving around town, stopped at a red left turn arrow. When the arrow turned green, I stepped on the gas and the car just wouldn't get through the intersection. I felt like the car was in neutral! Fortunately I had the arrow and oncoming traffic wasn't coming at me at full speed. It took me about 20 seconds to make it through the intersection and I pulled safely into a parking lot to see what was going on. I was stunned and confused and checked to make sure every setting and gear was in correct position. It was. As a test, I stopped the vehicle in the parking lot, tried to accelerate and barely moved. I proceeded to give it more and more gas, eventually flooring it, and couldn't get going faster than 5 mph. I don't know how long this power failure would have lasted because I had to get out to an appointment. I am so thankful this didn't cause an accident and I am so mad that I may never feel safe in this vehicle again. I took it in two days later to be told my new vehicle has a "bad CVT Valve Body". All the service folks seemed to know nothing about my issue and didn't seem too concerned that a person could lose their life to a tranmission failure such as this. I am appalled that they are allowing vehicles like these on the road and not sure what to do next. Any advice?
    You sound like me. I lose sleep over this stuff too. It ticks me off incredibly and when you're dealing with useless consumer affairs and service people like the one you have dealt with, it doesn't make it easier. It only makes it worse for sure. Our service guy has been great. Couldn't have asked for better. If Nissan keeps treating they're customers like this, they will be worse off than Jeep and yes, they will definitely be "at a different level than jeep" at that point for sure. Can you take it to another dealer? Try the better business bureau. You have to do something. did they give you a loaner or covering a rental for you at least during the 10 days? I can't believe you've had the car for 3 wks. That's disgusting!!!! It's a true shame!!!
    I agree. Same problem here. Only difference...I had low transmission fluid in mine so it must have killed the transmission that they are giving me a new one all together. There wasn't a leak in the transmission at all so they are assuming that where I bought the car...never topped it off. I emailed the National Safety Commision- http://www.nationalsafetycommission.com/. You can go to their website...email them. The more complaints they get the better our fight will be. It is extremely dangerous...I know. Look at Nissan's site..when they talk about the recall...they literally state.... "THIS IS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE." My [non-permissible content removed] it's not. Now, they are replacing it and I'm afraid the same will happen. I read another incident like yours. They changed out the same part and the person said it's been fine. I'm worried that we drive so many miles and it comes back. It truly sucks to have paid for a car that will have these mishaps. Don't let this go....get it out there!!!! I haven't heard back from the safety commission as of yet and who knows if I will, but I will give it some time, try it again and on the 3rd try I am going to write a letter. I'm hoping the new transmission I get will be fine and I won't run into this again, but I'm not letting this issue drop. It is truly a safety hazard and people are going to get injured/killed.
    edited August 2010
    http://www.nationalsafetycommission.com
    Corporate Headquarters
    814 A1A North
    Ponte Vedra Beach FL 32082
    Phone: 904-688-2300

For anyone having issues with the CVT and feel that the issue is causing/has caused a safety issue for you and the people in your car or cars around you, visit the site above. The more people that share their experience with them, the better our chances are of having these transmissions recalled or something. Something needs to be done. I've also included the address, if anyone wants to write to them and phone number, if anyone wants to call. I've emailed them via their website yesterday. No response as of yet. I'll give it a few days. My next step may be to call them and take it from there. Something needs to be done but I can't do it alone. We have to stick together and push on this. These transmissions are putting some of us in danger possibly causing injuries and/or deaths. Let's try to stop it sooner than later!!!!
  • henryprhenrypr Member Posts: 1
    HI my name is Henry from Puerto Rico and I just had the same problem as you and almost put mi life at risk. Today in my island is passing nearby a hurricane named EARL and where I live there are many hills, so I was going to my brothers house to stay with them until the hurricane passed and when I was driving by a tree felt in a middle of a hill I stopped the car and removed the tree and when I tried to accelerate but lost acceleration power so tomorrow am going to the dealer to see what they are going to do with the issue because in 3000 mile the guarantee is over.
    Remember that the warranty for the CVT is extended to 120,000 miles or 10 years...so you might be good. How old is your car? I'm telling you....get in touch with the Safety Commission. Let us know what the dealer says...but push to get an engineer from Nissan in there. The dealers seem to not be able to do anything with out Nissan's incentive to do so...that is why the dealers say to get consumer affairs involved...they act as your middle man....however, they do nothing for you. They don't return your calls and things like that. Glad you're okay.
    Thanks for the information. I called the NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE at 1-888-327-4236. They were very compassionate and wanted all the details regarding my loss of acceleration for their report. However, in order for them to do an investigation, they need to see a trend of similar complaints. So hopefully we can get the message out to enough Rogue owners to: REPORT YOUR SAFETY COMPLAINT!!!

Also, it was pretty simple to file a complaint online with Better Buisness Bureau (www.bbb.org) and I will be making a call to Nissan to see what they have to say.
  • eimaraleimaral Member Posts: 4
    Since Rogue is still a relatively new model, we need to look further and combine all those complaints towards Murano/Altima with the same issue (esp AWD models) to push for this recall.
  • rts6rts6 Member Posts: 3
    Ok I do not think this is transmisson problem Last Friday while driving around 35mph my 09 rogue stalled without warning, tried to restart at least 10 times car would start for about 3 seconds and stall again. Had it towed to Nissan dealer where they did not look at until Monday, of course it ran fine and had no codes stored so was returned to me. With no explaintion of why it happened. Of course I think it is sure to happen again, has any one else had this problem 2009 SL FWD
    I will do the same!!
    Call this # and place a complaint.....two of us have already. 1-888-327-4236 If they begin to see a trend fo complaints they will send someone out to investigate. Power in #'s my friend!!! good luck!
    I have been trying to contact you for that information you spoke of. I believe you gave me the wrong number. Could you check the email you sent me. I am really curious. I would appreciate any help or advice you might have for me.

Thanks,

Abe
  • lastnissanlastnissan Member Posts: 1
    Biggest piece of junk I have ever bought. The rattling and gurgling of my CVT everytime I enter my neighborhood is just a joke. Not to mention getting locked out of my rogue last year twice in a winterstorm because water had frozen the lock mechanism was icing on the cake. Not to mention other recalls. It's an appropriate name for the car actually as the ROGUE salesman did not inform me of any issues encountered with the model. I will never buy another nissan and encourage all my friends to boycott Nissan.
    I'm shocked b/c even consumer reports gives them a good review. used the report before purchasing the vehicle. Was going to go Honda CRV, but couldn't afford it...what a mess! Good luck!
  • shilohduffeyshilohduffey Member Posts: 16
    So sorry to hear about the difficulty you've been having. It seems that only a new transmission will solve your issue. Fortunately, we've had absolutely no trouble with either of the 10 SL's we own. In fact, our passengers remark how smoothly the vehicles operate ... and we feel the same way. We'll be the first to join you if it ever happens to us ... but for now, we're doing just fine. We wish you well.
  • richo3richo3 Member Posts: 1
    I had a very similar situation in Boston over the weekend. My 2010 Rogue was running fine - mileage is just over 4000 miles. Went to pull out into heavy traffic at rush hour and car would hardly move - crawled. Got to the nearby hotel destination and had to enter a garage - uphill ramp. Vehicle still would not accelerate more than a few MPH in D or L even though the accelerator was to the floor. I also checked all the settings and everything was normal. Tried Reverse and same story - full gas and a few MPH. Backed down the ramp, parked it and called AAA for a tow - after a few hours (AAA not available) started it up to take it to nearby dealership and it was fine. Has not done it since. Boston dealer had never heard of this problem and there were no codes to explain it. My local dealer in VT never heard of it either. Although both said it's probably going to happen again if it happened once. I'll follow up. Please spread the word. Dangerous !!!
  • fergie12fergie12 Member Posts: 4
    Nissan should learn from Toyota who exceeds them in excellence ,no company is too big to take down....consumers just need to stick together and fight for their rights ...nissan needs to fix their junk....they used to be something but now build junk!
    I wont buy another...
  • hvncarhvncar Member Posts: 1
    We have the same problem with our newly bought 2010 Rogue. We were driving in the mountains, between Denver and Las Vegas, when the car just suddenly stalled without any warning and we had to pull over onto the shoulder of the road. After spending about an hour on the shoulder, it would resume driving normally. This is our first time owning a Nissan and it broke down within the first 3000 miles.
  • jkaskeyjkaskey Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I also had this problem and brought my 2010 Rogue to Kelly Nissan in Lynnefield. They said they were unaware of this as an issue. Which dealership did you take yours to in Boston?

Was this ever resolved?

-Jon Kaskey
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-autos-complaints-20101225,0,7649400.story

Thought this might be of interest, since some of the material for the story was based on complaints found in these forums.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Funny...I also brought mine to Lynnfield and spoke to a Robert O'Neil. This was back in August I think. You can't trust the dealers. They blow alot of smoke. the address is 275 broadway in lynnfield. It was resolved but in NY. I got on the phone with corporate after getting the run around from consumer relations of Nissan. The dealer wouldn't make a move until consumer relations contacted them. They weren't contacting the dealer or me so we were w/o a car for about 3 days. Anyway, when I got hold of corporate, this woman got the ball rolling. They had a tech from headquarters go to the dealer and test drive the car and check it out. They found a bad transmission. W/in about a week or two...i forget...we had a new transmission. I felt a huge difference with this transmission. There is pick up like the other never had. We have almost 3K miles on it since this happened...and knock on wood, so far so good. I'm still a little leary, but hoping that fiasco is over. Let me know what happens and if you nee anything else, let me know. I can give you the # for corporate if you need it.
  • skleymanskleyman Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Maryland
    I do have the same problem since I got a new 2010 Nissan Rogue.
    After a couple hours on highway 65-75 MPH if I had to pull over or stop the car will not go back to ride even I was pushing a gas pedal. It doesn't go forward or back. This happen all the time when we're in long trip. The dealer can't find problems. I've call Nissan multiple times they opened cases asked me to bring the car to the dealer and nothing done. In round trip Florida we almost had a 3 accidents becouse of this problem.
  • 2009rogue2009rogue Member Posts: 2
    I bought this car used with 40,000. . . use to be apart of a fleet for Hertz. No problems yet, but I did buy a 100,000 mile warrantee just in case????
  • ml00kabillml00kabill Member Posts: 1
    I am in Lexington, NC and the dealer we purchased our 2010 Rogue from is Vann York Nissan in High Point, NC. I have just returned from the dealership where they are looking into this same problem... AGAIN. Late last year (2010) we had the transmission replaced because we were experiencing the same problem. My wife and son were out of town on vacation and she had to go to the closest Nissan dealership which delayed her return home three days. This is a very dangerous issue. When she tried to merge into interstate traffic the car simply did not respond, and likewise exiting the interstate attempting to accelerate from a stop, the same thing happened.
    As I stated, currently my vehicle is at the service department of the dealership we purchased it from because the identical problem has returned. I was returning from Florida this past weekend, and attempted to accelerate when the vehicle completely failed to respond. I am in the process of trying to contact the owner of the dealership and see how he would like to handle the situation. I am going to request a completely different vehicle as my wife is scared to death to drive the vehicle at this point.
    If anyone has any suggestions or questions, feel free to contact me. I will be posting how the dealership responds.
  • danitadanita Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 09 Nissan Rogue only three months ago. On my way from Los Angeles to Las Vegas I also experienced problems with the transmission. I could not accelerate up the hills on HWY 15 and had to drive in the truck lane. It was very scary because cars were traveling anywhere from 65 to 90 miles per hour and I had to hurry to move from the fast lane to the truck lane. My Rogue would not accelerate over 20 miles per hour. I took it into the Nissan dealer in Las Vegas and it is going to take them three weeks to get a new transmission. The bad part about it is the day before I left for Las Vegas I took it to the dealer and they changed the oils and performed an inspection. They stated that the car was in perfect condition, minus a need to change the battery. WOW!
    If possible can you contact me and let me know what the solution to your problem was. I am currently experiencing the same thing.

Danita
    [email protected]
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't ask for "personal" help via email. We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Thanks.
    Sorry Steve, I am sure they will post the outcome for everyone, I just needed some assistance because my car is currently in the shop. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Thanks for the advice.
    Now have our Rogue since April 2010. Had our transmission replaced in August after a trip to Maine...on the way home got stuck. This year, driving 3.5 hours to Wildwood NJ, the same thing happens...after 10,000 miles with the new transmission. Stuck in traffic after moving fine, we try to accelerate and nothing. This is so ridiculous. I'm contacting corporate again. We really need to ban together here and get out a petition or something. There really needs to be a recall on these transmissions. Something needs to be done. I'm going to, for now, use my facebook page as a way to pass the word out to people asking them to post what i post on their page. This will be one way to get the word out to others when they're thinking about buying a Nissan. I am going to look into the better business burea...maybe even the NY taxi commission or whatever they're called. They're supposed to be having Nissan provide them cabs in the upcoming years. I'm going to tell them to think twice. I don't know...I just don't know what else to do here. Anybody create a petition before????
  • kgbatlkgbatl Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2011
    We had a problem driving our Rogue from North Carolina to Georgia with the transmission on the hills. We were sev eral hours into the trip and I could not accelerate on the hills. It was very dangerous as we kept losing speed on the hills and tractor trailor trucks were barreling down behind us. We finally exited and pulled into a Nissan Dealer. They said they have had issues with the transmission going into safety mode. They tested it and said they could not find anything wrong with it and recommended we do further testing in Atlanta. Apparently shutting off the car fixes the safety mode issue. The car drove ok the rest of the way home but if this is a continuous problem there is no way that we can take this car on long trips. I noticed that I could not accelerate on the hills on the way to NC but it was not nearly as bad as on the way back.
    I don't know if I agree with this "safety mode" thing they're telling you. Reason is, and maybe your situation is different, turning the car off did not help our problem. We have to sit for at least 20 minutes for it to move again and when it finally does move, you can feel that the pick up is not there as it was previously. It sort of drags when you're trying to accelerate. I don't trust anyone at Nissan. I think the CVT is just a piece of crap and they haven't rectified it and know they can't rectify it. This problem seems to have been existing for a very long car. My last episode was a year ago so the problem persists. If they saw an end in site to this problem they would never have extended the warranty on it...and added towing. I just don't understand how this issue hasn't been put up for recall yet. It's ridiculous and if they're waiting for someone to get seriously hurt...it will happen. They've been lucky thus far. To be doing this to their buyers is so sad. I will never buy another Nissan for as long as I live and will be trying to trade this one in soon. I don't want to continue paying my payments on something I didn't pay for. It's a waste of money!!! Hard earned money in these times of hardship for sure.
    Just got back from the dealer. They're going to replace the valve body. I think they'll replace this and the next long trip I go on, the problem will be back. And the bad part is, I won't know anything is wrong with it until I go on a long trip. I'm thinking about trading this piece of crap in. I have a call out to the National Highway Safety Agency to file a complaint. I've had it. Nissan really needs to get their crap together!!
    I've been seeing some more posts recentely and was just curious if you've had any more issues with your vehicle since last year. As for me, after nagging Nissan's Arbitration deparment, the dealership agreed to give me a new transmission last August. They gave me a loaner vehicle at no charge, during the near month-long wait. I have not had the problem of lack of acceleration again. The only curious issue is that about once a month, when I turn the ignition, nothing happens. It usually takes three to four attempts to get the engine to turn over.
    testagm: Yes, after 10,000 miles and just about a year, now they're telling me the valve body is defected so they are replacing that with their upgraded valve body, which apparently is not installed in some of the older CVT transmissions. The upgrade is apparently new. Who knows. You can't trust anyone. Anyway, we didn't have a problem up until this past Friday when we went on a 3 hour long car ride, on the highway. Have you driven the car on a long highway trip since they replaced your transmission? I really don't think, even when they change the valve body, that we will see a problem unless we drive it over say 2 hours on the highway. We plan on doing this soon after they change this valve body. We have one older car and this piece of junk...we bought this piece of junk for the longer rides. If I can't use it on the longer rides, than why did I buy it. The Rogue works great......when it sits in the garage. lol. Your ignition issue..did you mention it to them? That's wierd? Did it happen before they replaced your transmission and would that have anything to do with it??? I can't believe all the issues that we're having with these cars. When I tell Nissan I come onto Edmunds and read this stuff they tell me not to believe what I read....and oh....I'm supposed to believe them. People have nothing better to do but to come onto Edmunds and post about their piss poor excuse for a car...c'mon. Everyone posting is in my same shoes....why wouldn't I believe these posts over Nissan's word. I've been screwed 2wc already by Nissan. They can go to hell! I'm so disgusted with them.
    Originally in 2010, Nissan found my Rogue had a bad valve body and replaced that before putting in the new transmission. I don't blame you for not trusting them. If they know, then why aren't they doing a recall on these so-called "bad valve bodies"??? Now I guess I better have that checked again on the new transmismsion! After re-reading everyone's stories, I'm noticing the trend of failure to accelerate happening during or after long car trips. It just occurred to me that my failure to accelerate also occurred after a 4 day road trip around Minnesota, mostly highway miles. Since I live close to work, my Rogue was purchase for mostly pleasure/long trips, like you guys. However, I have not taken a trip longer than and hour and a half since the new tranny. It currently has 11,000 miles and I will be taking it for a 4 hour trip at the end of August. I feel terribly knowing a failure to accelerate could happen at any moment. I've tried to have peace of mind about it, but hearing your story sure doesn't help! Ugh.
    I understand your uneasiness!! I will have the same uneasiness after this replacement. I just don't believe this will do it given all of the other problems I have read about so similar to ours. I have filed a complaint with the National Highway Safety...whatever the name is. They called me yesterday to take the complaint. I also filed a complaint with the better biz burea. They called me today. I have to call them back tomorrow. I missed their call. I too have called Nissan corporate. They called me as well. I also have to call them tomorrow. I'm really going to let them know how I feel about this, esp the safety of it. the inconvenience and the buying for a new car is bad enough, but the safety of it is more important. My daily commute is no longer than an hour each way as well, so I never experience it. But, I plan on taking the Rogue for a few longer rides once the valve is replaced, maybe give it a month to settle in...and then try it out. We shall see. I didn't buy a used car for the sake of saving a headache...you don't know who owned it before you and you really don't know the history of the car and why it is being sold. On the other hand, I could've much better afforded a used car. Now, I'm spending out the [non-permissible content removed] for a headache anyway. I told the dealer that today. I said, I'm not paying for what I thought I bought. I wonder if I call up where I have the loan and tell them the situation. they probably won't care just as long as they get their money. I may try it. There has to be something we can do. This is totally unfair and unsafe for all involved...us and the other drivers on the road. You can't drink and drive, but you can drive around in a vehicle that is more than likely going to lose all acceleration on the highway....yeah...that's safe. We're like sitting ducks. I too do a lot of commuting over the GWB and the tunnels. Imagine getting stuck there. No shoulder...now what?? And if I have a kid in the car with me...even worse. I don't even want to think about it. Keep me posted on your long trip at the end of August. I'll be curious to know but hope they did right by you!! Good luck!
  • cjandrjcjandrj Member Posts: 1
    I was reading these posts and now I know that it was foolish of me to not research the 2010 Nissan Rogue S/SL/KROM before purhcasing.

I bought this vehicle used from Yonkers Auto Mall in Yonkers, NY. It rode well on the test drive, even though I did hear the CVT drone that others in this post have mentioned. Literally, five days later, my partner and I took a trip to Atlanta, GA from NYC. On the way back, we had to pray for more than traveling mercies. :cry:

We could not accelerate even flooring the pedal. The Rogue just stayed stuck on 40 mi, then 60 mi and sometimes would allow him to get to 80mi in those zones. It took us over 15 hours to get from Atlanta to NYC! :surprise:

The issue, and I stressed this to the dealership when I called them on the phone the morning of our return to NYC, is one of safety. Their response was, basically, to shut up and deal with it. Then, we were told to take it to a Nissan dealership. We were on I-77 in West Bubbleflick. Where were we going to find a Nissan dealership? I could not even get Clear access to search on my MacBook Pro. Geez!

At one point during our trip (when we were unaware of the problem), an 18-wheeler rushed on us literally almost riding our bumper to pass, and we were stuck; we simply could not accelerate to move to the right lane. It was like we were stuck in mud or quicksand or something. At another point, a police car was trying to pass and we were the only vehicle that was in the way. We were lucky the officer did not take our license plate and radio for another to ticket us. (Unless it is coming in the mail.) Merging onto the highway was a complete nightmare.

Driving long distance is taxing enough. We could have done without the stress and anxiety concerning our own and other motorists' safety.

I will notify every commission, every local and national body that regulates automotives and share our story.

It is really sad the dealers and dealerships will pursue the (not so anymore) almight dollar at the expense of human safety and life.

Now, my partner and I are arguing over whether or not buy another Nissan at all. What a piece of junk. :mad:
    I feel your pain. I've been through this twice already. I contacted corporate. I can't give out email addresses here...told by the owner of the board. But go onto Nissan's website and search a Kevin Martin. He is the VP of Customer Relations or something like that. Email him and tell him your issue. I've done this twice and twice they have gotten back to me pretty quickly. I too have stressed the safety issue. I'm waiting for a call back to see what our next step is. For now, the dealer has changed the valve body on our new transmission (changed last August ...10,000 miles ago). They said that the valve bodies have been upgraded. Not sure if I buy this. Anyway, I've also filed a complaint with the Better Biz Bureaus auto line. go to their website as well to file a complaint. Someone will call you back. Ask them to give you the number for auto complaints and take it from there. They have already called Nissan to let them know I have pursued the complaint and we'll see what happens next. I've also filed a complaint with the National Highway Commission I guess it is. I'm waiting to receive the paperwork in the mail. Get the word out there. It is so dangerous and I don't understand why this has not been recalled. I think they are definitely waiting for someone to get seriously hurt. And, I think more people need to take action and complain where they can. We have to push to get this moving. Just sitting here is going to get one of us killed. Good luck to you!!
  • summit_roguesummit_rogue Member Posts: 3
    My 2008 AWD Rogue has ALL of the same problems listed here. I too am interested in seeing a recall take place (mostly for safety reasons). I have to say that the transmission gets worse as miles accumulate. I can kind of live with a noisy tranny and a few goof ups here and there. But, come on this is out of control!! I believe that the problem is related to the tranny getting too hot. I live at 10,000 feet and it's almost always cold here. But, when it's over 65 degrees that's when most of the problems happen. It's 50 miles up hill from the city to my house and this year I have broken down 4-5 times (almost every time I went into the city). It just goes into safety mode about 1/2 way up the 50 mile hill. It drops to 1500 RPMs then I have to pull off the highway because I can't maintain my speed. I too have had several near misses with semi trucks and other vehicles trying to hit me (because I'm the one going too slow). I have found a few things that help: 1) Keep my rpms at 2000 or less (all day) and I have less of a chance of it going completely into safety mode. 2) Travel with it's rainy or snowy (I can maintain at least 60 mph). The biggest problem with this is that when I took it in for repair they would not acknowledge that there was a problem. Instead they framed it as a user error (like I don't know how to drive a CVT). I found that they did not even keep record of all of our conversations about this. An engineer came and made some adjustments (none that worked). Finally, they recommended that I trade it in for the Murano. They said that the Rogue engine is too small for my driving. I called corporate and they too suggested that I buy the Murano (I saw those blogs too). What I can say though, is now that I have 66,000 miles the problem is getting worse by the day!!! I've always owned GM and this is my first Nissan. I'm just not interested in doing business with Nissan again. :(:(
    I agree that the transmission is getting hot and going into safety mode because turning the car off seems to temporarily resolve the issue. We drove all major highway from NC to Atlanta. There were rolling hills on the highway but were gradual inclines that any car should be able to handle. Twice we had the problem about 2 1/2 hours into the drive. I noticed the problem but it got worse and worse until we stopped and turned off the car. My only regret is turning off the car when we pulled into the Nissan dealer during the middle of our trip. We could barely accelerate to get over to turn into Nissan and I turned off the car. When the technician took it out for a drive he couldn't replicate the problem. My advice is to take it out and drive it and call Nissan and swing by and pick up a technician without turning off the car. I am still waiting after two weeks for a response regarding the problem.
    This is just so ridiculous. I can't believe this...and then when you tell the dealer that you read these posts they say, "you can't believe everything you read." Oh..and I'm supposed to believe you. Please. Our issues are all so similar in nature. For the gentleman that owns the 2008 and lives at high altitude....have they suggested the murano now, or a while back. Just curious that you have a 2008..wasn't sure how receptive they would be..not that you should be having issue with a 2008 vehicle. Just curious. For the post that drove from NC to Atlanta...what year is your vehicle. Not a bad idea about driving it into the shop while it's doing it and not turning it off. I want to bring it back to the dealer that I bought it from and shove it in their face. It's garbage. I'm so mad. Oh..and to the 2008 owner....Murano...they have CVT transmissions too....tell them you'd rather be driving anything but a Nissan. Corporate hasn't gotten back to me. I emailed my contact today. I'm have wondering if she won't contact me b/c I contacted the BBB. I have the paperwork here and haven't completed it as of yet, waiting to see what Nissan will do for me. If I don't hear back from her soon, I will let her know that I'm pursuing my complaint with them. The National Highway Safety Commission or whatever the name is...they were supposed to send me a packet regarding my complaint in the mail. I have not yet received that and will have to follow up with them too. I think we are consumers that have been taken and I think it is horrible especially when our safety is being put in harms way. I can't believe there is nothing we can do about this. I have yet to take it on a long drive again...planning on it...but wondering if the nicer the weather gets.....less heat....the longer it will take for the issue to happen. Last incident was in August and this time again...in August. Hot times for a hot mess. This totally sucks! Have either of you contacted anyone other than the dealer? I know 2008 contacted corporate. Have you taken your complaint anywhere else? Just curious. Good luck!...to all of us!
    Did you call the Consumer Affairs number? The dealer called today and said Nissan tech line said they won't do anything because they can't replicate the problem.
    Consumer Affairs is useless. When this happened to us last year...they wouldn't return my calls and they wouldn't call the dealer. My car sit in service for 3 days with nothing happening until I contacted corporate and they contacted the dealer and took it from there. The tech was at the dealer in a day and I had a new transmission within maybe 2 days. Don't even bother with Consumer Affairs.
    So, I'm thinking out of the box.....If they sell transmission coolers for trucks that pull trailers, can we put transmission coolers on the Rogue? I asked my Nissan mechanic and he said no that this would void the warranty. What warranty? My Nissan Mechanic and the Nissan Engineer got my car to do it and easily. So, they adjusted the tranny fluid level last September. It was ok during the winter. But, sure enough, it started doing it again in June. I asked my Nissan Mechanic, "If I bring it in again, can you fix it?" The answer was, well, we are following Nissan's technical specifications when we make repairs. I don't think that was the right answer. Yesterday I went car shopping almost ready to make a trade!
    From the 2008 at high altitude......It was about 2 months ago that they suggested the Murano. They way framed it is this, "I'm an 8 cylindar kind of guy. That Rogue just doesn't have enough power for your kind of driving." They put that in my record. So, when I called Corporate, they said, "Problem solved you just need a car with a larger engine such as the Murano". I'm smarter than that.....I didn't buy a Murano. I actually know of someone who bought one and also has tranny problems. Here is what is interesting too, the first summer it worked fine. It didn't start acting up until I had about 30,000 miles and interestingly enough AFTER they made some tranny recall (for noisy transmissions). The transmission was NOT noisy before the recall but became noisy afterward. I suspect that the 2009, 2010, & 2011 have whatever adjustment that I think actually goofed up the tranny. I kind of got to thinking about whether complaining would get me closer to what I want. I believe it will not. I believe that if something goes on my car's record it could haunt me. I also believe that if everyone finds out about the problem our vehicle's values will plunge. So, my husband said, "Will you kindly get rid of that car today?" I went & test drove a bunch of cars. That new Chevy Equinox is comparable to the Rogue and I have to say it's a smoother ride, ordinary automatic, V6, and a really nice technology package. Just an idea. I'm trading in hopefully this weekend.