Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 BMW 5 Series - Alignment Problems (pulling to right)

2»

Comments

• sambo49sambo49 Member Posts: 47
    Test drove the 535xi 2 days ago...dealer says that BMW fixed the software problem at the factory for all cars built after august, which includes the x drive models. Judging by the message posted about the pulling to the right issues, this seems to be accurate.
  • flame2flame2 Member Posts: 12
    I am cynical re what the dealer says....all three dealers either downplayed, professed ignorance of the problem, or said BMW was "working" on the problem, for over 2 months, in my case. Also BMW has yet to acknowledge they had ANY problem with allignment of 5 series, in fact they have ignored problem via their customer relations people. I'm glad I am in a Jaguar now, even though I initially loved the 535i. To prove my point...when I enacted my state's Lemon Law with BMW North America, I gave them a choice....Replace the car in a reasonable time-4-5 weeks, OR refund my money. THEY chose Not to replace the car. That says to me that they rather not take a chance on another 5 series with factory defects, then keep me as a customer...they knew that i wouldnt stand for the same shoddy quality and piss poor customer service again...even though I still have another BMW...a 335i coupe, and was a loyal BMW customer, until my situation evolved. They were that unsure of the quality level of the new 5 series. Keep in mind that my new 535 Also had a ruptured fuel line about i week after i got the car, which took them almost 3 weeks to replace???. BE CAUTIOUS. Drive your specific vehicle before you actually commit to the purchase. There was a recent news article that mentioned that BMW wants to increase sales by 50%, and they are obviously willing to let quality control and customer service slide to achieve their sales goal.
    I had occasion to replace my front headlight(for the THIRD time) on my 335i the other day...my regular service person at the dealer looked so depressed. Its obvious that quality control that BMW was noted for is no longer the case. Just look at recent Consumer Reports Reliability study...BMW, as well as audi and mercedes finished at the BOTTOM of the study. I hope they take notice and improve.
  • mfarrell65mfarrell65 Member Posts: 3
    I got an interesting message from my dealer today. I have a 535i x drive on order and it arrived in the port a week and a half ago. When I questioned why it had not been received yet, I was told all 5 series in the port are going through a service campaign. The service campaign requires that all 4 tires be replaced.

I wonder if this has to due with the pulling issue or if it's a new reason altogether. Any similar experiences?
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Tires, especially on an all-wheel drive vehicle, can have dramatic impacts on tracking, handling, and comfort. It would be interesting to review and correlate problems with a specific brand/model of tire. The last two cars I've bought came with Goodyear tires...I never really liked them. My guess is that the vehicles sold in Europe probably don't come with Goodyears.
  • sambo49sambo49 Member Posts: 47
    edited November 2010
    That is rather interesting...the dealer told me the exact same thing about their new shipment of 2011 535xi. I do not know where your dealer is, but the one I visited was in Suitland, Maryland. The stated reason for the "service campaign" was that the "factory ran out of the proper tires for the cars, so they decided to ship them with alternate tire/wheel combinations and follow up with the proper tires at to the port... :confuse: " This all sounds rather peculiar.
    In any case, I decided to hold off on ordering the car. There are too many complaints, lack of good reviews (consumer reports actually pokes fun that this is no longer a "sport sedan", car and driver rated it 4 in a comparison of 4 similar sedans,...), horrific steering and the hesitation before acceleration are enough to make me want to sit this one out for now.
    Good Luck with your new car!
  • mkwordmkword Member Posts: 2
    I received my 2011 BMW 550i last week. Have driven it every day including a trip from LA to San Diego.

No steering or transmission issues whatsoever. Car drives wonderfully. My one gripe is that the steering feels a bit looser than my 2008 335i. But this is my first 5 series so I don't know if that's always been the case.

I bought the 550i with the sport package and it looks gorgeous inside and out. Drives like a dream. Love this car.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Interesting, my 2002 530i had much stiffer steering than my 1999 328i; I preferred the 5er.
  • deranger89deranger89 Member Posts: 7
    I so wish I had come to this site before purchasing my 2011 535i. I test drove the car, around the block and about 5 miles on the interstate and never noticed the pull to the right. However, on my drive home, 100 miles away, it was very noticeable. I took the car back to the dealer a week later, test drove it with a mechanic who tells me that there is a problem with this model and that BMW is aware of it. They couldn't work on it that day, so I had to bring it back the following week. I left it at the dealer over night, drove 100 miles back home. The service rep said he would phone me in the morning to let me know what time to pick it up. I never received a call, so around 2:30 I phoned them - it was "just now ready". I drove back to Raleigh - with a loaner - and picked up the car. I was told that they could not fix the problem with the car pulling to the right, but that it was "much better now". Was advised that BMW is working on a software fix and should have it shortly.
    Here is what the invoice states:
    "1595 ADJUST STRUTS AND SOFTWARE UPDATE WARR. C/S VEHICLE IS PULLING TO THE RIGHT. CHECK OPERATION. VEHICLE WILL PULL TO THE RIGHT WHILE DRIVING. AS PER FSE, SWAP FRONT TIRES FROM LEFT TO RIGHT. ROTATE THE FRONT LEFT AND FRONT RIGHT. DEFECT CODE 32 00 02 97 00. LABOR OP...36 10 810....AND 31 99 000....7 FRU TOTAL....BMW IS AWARE OF CONDITION AND IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON A SOFTWARE UPDATE TO HELP WITH THIS ISSUE"

On the way back home (did I mention 100 miles), the pull to the right is still there and NOW the steering wheel has a vibration in it. I feel like I'm driving a 10 year old used car instead of a $65,000 brand new car. I have about 1,500 miles on the odometer (which the service tech told me was a good thing so that it would be covered under the warranty). - seriously??

I'm headed out of town for the weekend, but I plan to take the car back next week and let it sit there for 20 days and invoke the NC Lemon Law. This is ridiculous - BMW is "aware of the problem". Big whoopty do. How about the $350 tire that will need to be replaced? What about time running back and forth to the dealer only to hear "BMW is aware of the problem". What about making a payment on a car that looks good and drives like a pinto?
    My advice to anyone even considering purchasing a 535 2011 BMW - After ready the stories of what folks have gone thru - buy at your own risk. You've been forewarned.
  • toney2toney2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I'm in the US Army and I'm currently stationed in Germany. I bought an 2011 535 a couple months ago. I noticed it pulling to the right so I took into a local BMW dealership in Mannheim. I thought I would get the car in a couple of days, but it's been almost a month. Initially they told me that it was an isolated problem and should be fixed soon. They told me they re-aligned the car 4 or 5 times, switched the rims and tires, replaced the struts and shocks, and they told me they removed the bumper to properly align the car. None of this stuff worked. I went to the dealership and asked what would be the next step in fixing my car. They said that a lead technician would be coming from Munich to fix it. Well, I told them about how many people were having this same issue, and they said that this was the first time they were hearing about it. IThey told me that they would be sending my car back to the factory where it was built, to see if they can remedy the problem. The whole time I'm thinking, I'm in Germany, if they can't fix it no one can. i talked to my salesman and told him that I would be getting rid of the car asap. I'm waiting on a response from him and the dealership.
    toney2 - please keep me posted. The GM of the dealership is suppose to be giving me a call tomorrow. Like you, I'm going to let him know that even tho this may be an isolated problem, the isolation is affecting about 7 pages of web postings.
    Hopefully I'll know something more tomorrow. Unlike you, I don't want them to remove the bumper etc. They can buy the car back and fix/sale it to someone else.
    deranger89,
    I just left the dealership, and they have determined that my car cannot be fixed. The lead technician from Munich came to look at the car and stated that it would cost to much to repair, and the repairs would be to extensive to fix. I am now going to start the process of getting a refund. I will keep you posted
    The dealership came and got my car Thursday. I got a call from them on Friday saying that they have the software update and are connecting my directly to Germany for the fix. Later in the day I was called telling me it would be Monday before I can get the car back. I told them that was fine to bring it back Monday as long as the defect is resolved.
    Guess we'll wait and see what happens on Monday. At least they left me a loaner car.
    Tomorrow will be a week since the dealership came and got my car. They are still unable to fix the defect. I got a call today saying that someone from BMW is coming next Thursday to look at the car. Fortunately the dealership has given me a loaner for the interim.
  • robertsspizmanrobertsspizman Member Posts: 3
    ditto, just purchased a 528i same issue - mine is in for service as I write - same feed back, ratotion of tires, reflash the computer etc... My drift is slight I hope it doesnt come back with a more prominent drift - I could actually live with a slight drift.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you own a BMW 5 Series or Mercedes E-Class but thinking about an Audi A6 for your next car, email pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, August 12, 2011 to be interviewed by a reporter on the subject.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I just picked my 5 series up and like all above the tires were rotated, the strut was adjusted and the computer was reflashed. The drift is no more - the re-flashing of the computer is a fix. I do notice now that the steering wheel is not square when driving straight - the center/bottom spoke is positioned slightly to the left - I have a theory; since the new 5's are steer by wire the cars sensors read the crown in the road, the computer processes the info and the steering wheel is adjusted electronically ever so slightly - you need feedback (resistience) to have a driving experience and the computer supplies it not the road.

Any one want to comment?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    edited August 2011
    Typically a misaligned steering wheel is the result of a bad alignment; I'd take it back and have them fix the orientation of the wheel.
    After having my car in the shop for 25 days I got it back. After re-flashing the software, the steering wheel was not straight (was what I was told). So, that was a part of the hold up in getting the car back.
    I had called BMW as was recommended by the dealership. I was assigned a rep who told me she would call me back at the end of the week. Its now been two weeks since I've heard from her, or lack of hearing from her is a better phrase. I called her several times, left messages with no results. My calls were only to find out the status and what my options were - how hard could that be to answer? My "faith" in BMW has grown very weak. This was my first BMW purchase, and I'm thinking it will be my last since this experience has been the worst I have ever had with a new car (I have purchased 4 new cars in my lifetime).
    Anyhow, back to the car. I drove it this weekend on the interstate for about 80 miles. The car automatically drifts to the right if I let go of the wheel. I can pull it back to the left, let go and it directly goes back to the right. I have a Toyota Tundra ('96). I let go of the wheel and it drives straight down the road. Is this just something that BMW's do? And if so, doesn't it cause tire eat-out on the inside of the right tire?
    Also, when I got my car back (nearly a month later), there was grease on the drivers seat from the mechanics I suppose. I had the car treated on the inside and out for $699 to prevent stains when I purchased the car in May. I haven't tried to clean it yet, but my frustration goes deeper. The, assumption made, five year old that washed the car must have used an old diaper rag to dry the car. There is soap smear on all of the glass (front and back) mirrors and streak marks on the car. I mean seriously? This is something that is so minor, but makes me wonder how well the service department truly works on the cars. If this was the first time, I could over look it, but this is the third time I've had grease on my doors and seat, and hood left open.
    Monday morning can't come quick enough for me to return the car for my money back OR a new car to replace this one. I had 36 miles on the car when I got it, drove 922 miles before taking it back. The car now has a little over 2,000 miles from the dealership testing their work.
    Signed,
    Not a Happy BMW ?Owner?
    Replying to toney2

This issue is defintely fixable - I was also concerned having similar symptoms with my brand new 5 series -my car drifted to the right, I was fatigued from the constant pushing the steering wheel to the left.

With that said I communicated the issue to my dealer Fileds BMW, Northfield IL, 847.441.5300... They were aware of this issue - I believe this is a common issue of the 5 series - my car was immediately taken in, they followed BMW protocol and my car was returned as promised. It drove straight but the steering wheel was slightly off center to the left, about 1/32 to 1/64th. When I mentioned it to the technician we took a test drive and he agreed - he suggested that he needed to make an additional toe adjustmment - he moved one side in and one side out and it miraculously straightened the wheel. My car tracks straight and the drifting is totally gone. There should be enough history out there to remedy this issue - it is definitely fixable - be patient its worth the wait!!!!
    toney2, I'm glad that you were able to have your car repaired. I'm being told that my car is being replaced. I should have the replacement (fingers crossed) next week.
    I was called by the dealer to come pick up my new car - shipped directly from Germany. I went to pick up the car, was handed a check for the two months my car was in the shop and an offer to purchase my car back. All seemed great until I got into the new car only to find out it was doing the same exact thing. The manager took a test drive in the car and was also very disappointed too, so we got into another car on the lot only to find out it did the same (pulling to the right) only not as noticeable.
    I had to return the check and trash the paperwork that I had signed for them to purchase the car back since the replacement is no better off.
    The manager is working with BMW to see about a 2012 model and will phone me back. It is now going on week three with no communication between the dealer and myself. I'm going to give them a call next week to find out what the answer is. I'll be so glad when this is all over.