Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Future of the Tribeca

jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
edited August 2014 in Subaru
The Tribeca seems to get little or no promotion from Subaru or local dealers (remember "Dust in the Wind"). The Outback and Forester now seem almost Tribeca size ... leads me to believe Tribeca is on the way out.

Jerry

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yup, that's what most people think.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They zigged when the market zagged.

Everyone else built larger 3-row crossovers, and those simply sold better.

At least we got the 3.6l H6 from it, now used in other models.
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    Valid point , but there does seem to be a market for 5 passengers, at least I see alot on the road. Perhaps Subaru should have concentrated on this market rather than trying to squeeze in the third row. Maybe that is the intention for the new Outback and Forester.

Will there be a 2011 Tribeca?
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    At least we got the 3.6l H6 from it, now used in other models

I wonder if that engine has been retuned; a friends new 3.6 Outback gets much better fuel economy than has been reported for the Tribeca.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    I suspect not, but if there is a new iteration, I think it needs to distinguish itself better from the rest of the lineup... such as becoming a Subaru version of the GMC Acadia, for example. Right now, it is largely a "why bother?" model; especially after the introduction of the 2010 Outback (although it is a much better styled car than the new Outback!).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    (although it is a much better styled car than the Outback!). new

At the time Tribeca was introduced the styling was explained in an article in a SAE publication as the outcome of strengthening the rear section of an Outback extension.

Now just what motivated the overturned bathtub styling of the new Outback?
    I suggest Outback to people who say the Forester is too small, but they don't see it as an SUV.

Tribeca should also get bigger, though, to really distinguish itself. Forester is nearly the size of an Outback, and Outback is nearly the size of a Tribeca.

I wonder if they'd invest in a new one, but if they did, give the current Outback's wheelbase a good 12" stretch, and the body a 15" stretch, and give it a real 3rd row and a massive cargo area.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    I agree; if they could pull off a respectable third row and still have a cargo bay the size of the Forester's, I think they would have something.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited August 2010
    Yes, there is a '11 Tribeca. The only change is they're adding the new Bronze color now found on the Legacy and Outback.

What's keeping the Tribeca alive is the export market. My Subie salesman told me they sell maybe 5 times as many Tribecas in Russia, than they do here.

Bob
    Subaru is also debating a plant in China, and that market likes cars the US does not. That may be another reason to keep it around for a while.
    edited August 2010
    My understanding is that the China plant has been green-lighted.

Subaru sells the Tribeca in almost every market it sells cars. The countries in which it is not sold, and in which Subaru has a marketing presence, is less than a half dozen. Check it out for yourself. Here's the link to their global site:

http://www.subaru-global.com/

My guess is that perhaps 25% of the Tribecas built in Indiana, are sold in the USA. The rest are exported.

Bob
    Wonder what they'll build in China? Interesting.

They could use the capacity here to build more Outbacks, so it would make sense to shift Tribeca production elsewhere (and cancel US sales).
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    In exactly 3 months my 08 Limited lease is over. As I wont be needing the 3rd row anymore, or the luxuries (divorce, you know), I was thinking OB 3.6. But looked at subaru.com, and a base Tribeca, that has heated seats and wiper de-icer sells for less!

I am sure when I say for less , that can be for way less, right now $1000 under invoice, and if I find a 2010 by them, things will get interesting.
    That shouldn't be the case, but it's all supply and demand. The Outback has been HOT since it came out, always in short supply.
    The discount at time of purchase might be lost when selling or trading the Tribeca later, particularly if it has been discontinued. If you keep it many years, that might not apply.
    It'll also use more gas than an Outback, but it's mostly a matter of which you prefer.
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    Yup, as a owner of a 2008 Tribeca 7 passenger, I think use of the Outback underpinnings plus more wheelbase would be really nice. Right now the 3rd row works well enough for the younger grand kids.
This discussion has been closed.