Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Crazy Wipers

1bass_fisher1bass_fisher Member Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Honda
I own a 2003 accord. Intermittently the wipers will bang into the cowl and pillar when they are used. It does not matter if it is raining or I am just using the washer feature. Can anybody help me out?

Comments

• mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    edited August 2010
    If the same wiper is hitting the cowl and pillar, then something is probably worn letting the wiper travel too far. If one wiper is hitting the pillar while the other is hitting the cowl, the wiper arms will need to be removed, the angle re adjusted and the arm re installed. Did you have the windshield replaced? They may have got the angle wrong.

Its easy to do your self. Typically there is a cover over a retaining nut. Remove the cover, then nut. Wiggle the arm until the arm comes off the car. They are spring loaded to hold them against the window, you will have to wrestle just a little to keep the arm straight to remove. What you will see is a splined/tapered shaft. Just replace the arm after you readjust the angle. You may need to remove/replace/test a few times until you get the angle correct.

Mrbill
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    I found the following posting that might help. It sound like there are bushing that wear out in the linkage that can cause this. There is also an adjustment made to the linkage under the cowl that might have an impact. There is also a pdf of the linkage (a bit low res though).

forumn post
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Just to double-check, it is hitting at the top AND the bottom of wiper travel? I dealt with this on my '96, is why I ask.
  • 1bass_fisher1bass_fisher Member Posts: 3
    Yes, it does hit both top and bottom.
  • 1bass_fisher1bass_fisher Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I will try what you suggested. I did notice that the problem started after I had the windshield replaced. The only part that confuses me is that the problem is intermittent and started 1 month after the windshield was replaced. I will let you know the outcome.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    My grandmother wore hers out. She's the type that turns them either on high or off, no intermittent or Low. The motor had to be replaced because the clutch simply wore to the point it couldn't restrict the movement properly.

This was on a '96.
This discussion has been closed.