Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Acadia Transmission Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Jessicajo,
    I’m glad to hear that your transmission was repaired. Hopefully, this won’t happen again. However, if you do need Customer Assistance to help you work with a dealership towards resolving a concern, or if we can look into warranty or safety recall information for your vehicle, please email us.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jessicajojessicajo Member Posts: 3
    thanks forthe reply. I hope idonot have anymore problems,love the car otherwise.
  • allen8106allen8106 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2007 Acadia STL FWD with just under 112,000 miles on it that we bought new in June 2007. I've never been a fan of the sucky shifting this has had. 95% of our driving is highway miles because we live 25 miles outside of town. At about 89,000 miles I had it in the dealer because something was wrong with the transmission. He said don't worry we fixed it, it was just a module adjustment. Well guess what 14,000 miles later, after my extended warranty expires, they now tell me I need a new transmission at a cost of $4000. The transmission is now having a hard time shifting into 3rd and 5th gear and hesitates going from park to reverse. I am also on my third set of front struts. Seems a bit odd to only last less than 60k miles. The rear power hatch doesn't work anymore. The heated windshield washer fluid system has been disconnected because they started fires and burnt cars up. In 2004 I bought my daughter a new Huyndai Elantra and NEVER had an ounce, not one ounce, of trouble out of it and she put 140,000 miles on it before she traded it. I'll never buy another GMC product.
    Allen8106,

I’m sorry to hear about the transmission concern you are having with your Acadia. If we can follow up with the dealership for you and further investigate, or look into warranty/recall information on your vehicle, please email us with your name, user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • allen8106allen8106 Member Posts: 2
    Sarah,

Thanks for your response and concern. Apprarently someone a GM does care about customers. After much discussion with the dealer they called GM who agreed to replace the transmission for a $200 deductable fee and the $168 diagnostics fee the dealer already had tied up in the car. I still have some issue with the struts not lasting but fortunately for me the original set and the second set were both replaced under waranty. It just doesn't make sense that they don't last any longer the 50k ror 60k.
    Allen8106,

I'm glad to hear that the transmission has been taken care of - thank you for letting me know! If I can be of any service in the future, I'm here.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gfbrowngfbrown Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Yep, I took my 2008 Acadia in to have the power steering checked in 2009, and they put in a different fluid, and said it would still whine "a little" but not to worry. Went through the same song and dance several more times, before just giving up. I thought there was a recall on that at some point... And yes, it does still whine, a lot! And now they tell me the power steering pump might be going out. I have replaced the passenger side headlight a dozen times since 2008 when we bought it brand new. I won't even begin to describe the horrible process one must go through to replace the headlight-- I will just say that I was relieved to discover that I didn't have to "remove the wheel" as the dealer told me. The car started making a whining noise when the heater is first turned on on a cold day (it's not a belt). The dealership couldn't hear it since it was always warm when I dropped it off, and for some reason it didn't get very cold INSIDE their shop when I left it overnight... I gave up on that battle, and just listen to the whining it makes for the first few minutes every cold morning. Warranty went out in May, and in June I had to have the AC blower motor replaced while on a family vacation. And now, with only 62000 miles, the transmission is about to go out, and the rack and pinion is going on both sides. We don't live on a dirt road, and my wife has two carseats in the back (kids in both most days) and drives very conservatively. Fortunately the dealership (50 miles away) says the tranny is still under warranty, probably... The steering problems are not, and those will be out of my pocket. The service airbag warning has been coming on regularly for the past several months, and that is one more expensive problem in a long line of problems. We take care of the car and always have the scheduled maintenance done... I still owe $12000 on the car and didn't plan on having to get rid of it before it was even paid off, but I suppose that is another beating we will have to take. I have always driven my vehicles to well over 100 thousand miles with no major problems, but 62000?!?
    What a lousy car.... I should've bought a Toyota, but liked the room the Acadia had for my family without compromising on gas mileage, and without looking like a mini van... This wasn't my first GMC, but it WILL be my last. Tomorrow I will put the carseats in my truck and turn the keys over to my wife, and call the family and tell them we won't be there for Thanksgiving.
  • david272david272 Member Posts: 1
    my parents also been having a lot of problems with the 2008 gmc acadia. we had the transmission rebuilt 1 time and they put in a new transmission in about 2months ago. the first time it wasnt going in reverse so we were on our way to take it in to the dealer to have it check out and on our way there the car just stop, my mom was pressing the gas petal and the car wasnt moving. so we had a tow truck come pick up the car. so they gave us a small car rental from carmax. and when we went to go get the car back they told us the rebuild it so we should have an problems, so on our way home the same thing happens the car just stopped and it wouldnt move so we called gmc main offices and we told them what was happening and we the tow truck took the car in the nexts day, the told just they werent going to rebuild it there just going to put in a new transmission and the gave us a car rental, but what we didnt it was that since we have a crossover/suv there supposed to give us a crossover/suv for rental instead of a small car and they pay for it now. so thats a plus ha. we today me it was raining and water is coming from the sunroof from the back seat so this is going to be our 8th times taking it in since my mom bought it in 2008 and she still owes 28,000 and the car only had 31,000 miles. I wish the could just give us a new car or our money back because it seem like i spend more time at the dealership getting fixs than going to school.
  • mpthompson1mpthompson1 Member Posts: 1
    I just paid $2500 to have the transmission fixed. Seems like I had the same problems as other people (driving down the road, engine raced, sputtered, jerked) and somehow was feeling fortunate pulling into the dealership that I didn't stop on main highway in rush hour traffic over the lunch hour. I was late for a meeting, but I am not dead so feel lucky. Dealership couldn't get the vehicle to go forward so had to drive it around the lot in reverse and then they were so afraid of the car going crazy they pushed it around the lot for the week they had it fixing the tranny.

The vehicle has 125k miles and it looks like on here I should expect more issues. Had the leaks, replaced 3 wheels ball bearings, and the other issues. Should I feel lucky my problems started after 100k mile warranty was up? I love watching the dealers faces when they pull up my account and see all the work that has been done...I wonder if they just smell the money they know I will have to pay.

I get to drive by the plant in West Lansing where they make the Acadia, Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse and see thousands more ready to ship out. I say a little prayer for the next guy that 1. They have fixed the obvious issues that have surfaced, 2. That I don't completely rebuild my car before I even pay it off once, thus buying a new car twice!

Good luck everyone!
    Gfbrown,

How have things gone since this post? It sounds like you were bringing it into a dealership towards the end of it?

Looking forward to learning more about your situation,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    David272,

Have you already worked with Customer Assistance on this? Are you already set up to bring the vehicle into a dealership?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ringo4422ringo4422 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    I bought my 2008 Acadia SLT2 brand new. After driving it for about 5 minutes I went back to the dealer and requested an extended warranty. I had no doubt that the transmission would encounter an early failure because of the extremely early and soft shift profile programmed into the ECU.
    Well, I'm glad I did. The transmission toasted itself at 62,000 miles and the dealer rebuilt it last week with new clutch packs. Yes, I am well versed with the engineering of transmissions as I am employed as an engineer in the transmissions group at a large helicopter company.

The dealer generously offered a free car rental during the duration of the repair, and what was the rental? A 2012 GMC Acadia. The even more amazing part is that this Acadia shifted PERFECTLY! The shift profile couldn't be better... long enough hold times for each gear as it upshifted, and reasonable downshift response. I was psyched.

I contacted the dealer and requested that when they rebuild the unit, to please flash the computer to the 2012 shift profile so I won't be needing another rebuild within the next 60,000 miles. The reply? Sorry. No can do. It has to be what it originally was programmed with.

This was the first GM vehicle I bought since 1980 and this Acadia will be my last, only because GMC will not do anything to fix a very well known issue and knowing that they could! Going back to reliable Ford products.
    How has your Acadia been since the rebuild?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ringo4422ringo4422 Member Posts: 2
    It shifts just like brand new... lousey. It shifts much too soon and hangs on to the higher gears for dear life before it finally gives in and downshifts to too low a gear, engine screaming it's lungs out, only to quickly upshift again.

This is my reason for the post. The problem is still there... too early shifts, too soft a shift, slow to downshift. In making a typical left turn from a stop light it is in 4th gear as I complete my turn. In retrospect, the 2012 in the same turn is thinking about going into second gear, just as any normal vehicle would. Not 4th. It is just like all of the earlier generation Acadias.
    I see. I've logged our conversation into the database, which GM uses to determine how to approach different vehicle concerns.

If you would like to pursue this further with Customer Assistance, please email us with more information, including your name/username, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, the name of your involved dealership and how many times you've visited for the concern.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ahaydelahaydel Member Posts: 1
    I just purchase my 08 Acadia a week ago with 107,000 miles. I had never really looked into that kind of vehicle before but was taken away when I saw the great features of the vehicle. I purchase it on impulse and didn't research there history to well. Once it was purchase I came home and looked it up on the computer and realized the horror stores with the transmission. Although it seemed to drive well. Sure enough just a week later and my nightmare begins I was having trouble accelerating and it was reving really high. So I brought it into a dealership service department and sure enough look like the transmission needs to be changed. How I am starting to regret my decision of this vehicle already. Don't let all the wonderful features fool you! I am waiting on my phone call from the dealership to let me know how much the estimate will be. Lets just say I am not to happy :mad:
  • gfbrowngfbrown Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    The first dealership (48.4 miles away) determined that it was indeed a problem, but told me that GM won't swap the transmission. It has to be rebuilt. This dealership doesn't have anybody who can, or would be willing to rebuild it, so they recommended that I take it to another dealership (104 miles away) who has a guy who rebuilds transmissions. I called the 2nd dealership, who told me they couldn't make an appointment to fix it until they had determined for themselves what the problem was. This is certainly fair, but unfortunately it required me to make two trips-- one for them to look at it, and another to drop it off. That required me to take two more days off work, and drive four hundred miles. The transmission guy told me that he had done so many of these Acadia transmissions that he could rebuild them in his sleep. That gave me confidence in his abilities, but doesn't say much for GM quality. I did however get a loaner car last week-- a 2012 GMC Acadia. The service manager smiled as he told me they would be happy to arrange for me to keep the loaner....
    I have discovered, while driving this car, that the power steering doesn't squeal the way it does after the recall work (new fluid, that's all the recall provided) was done on my 2008 Acadia. I also discovered that several of the interior problems (armrest that no longer slides, and compartments that no longer open) have been redesigned on the newer model... Stinks that they couldn't fix those issues on my Acadia! On a brighter note-- the headlamp wiring has been recalled, so they will be fixing that. Now I just have to pay for a new power steering pump, and for new bushings to fix the steering issue! No, this hasn't changed my opinion about the Acadia, and I sure don't recommend the Acadia to anyone!
  • stephsfab5stephsfab5 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    I purchased a 2011 Acadia in August during the "employee pricing event". I was between this and a used yukon on the lot. I went with new and all the financing deals warranty protection behind it.
    At 2 weeks old and 1300 km it wouldn't start, apparently a dead battery. Had it boost with roadside and called dealer. I was told we must have left interior lights on or something that drained the battery. Shame on me and off we went. At almost 5 weeks battery"dead" again, so drained it wouldn't release my key, had roadside come and boost and they took it into the dealer. After calling dealer all day was told at end of day it was repaired. The battery was faulty and had been replaced. "Luckily" it was covered by warranty (Lucky for me...pffff!). At 7 weeks (Monday) it wouldn't start, called roadside they towed it in, I called all day no news. At business close I was told hey couldn't fix it that day, they didn't know what was wrong, oh and there ws no rentals available. The next afternoon (Tuesday) they called to say it was fine. I asked what happened and was told he (the service adviser) didn't know, they had the truck delivered back to be. I asked for the work order, they didn't have one, called the garage and was told the service manager would call and talk to me about it the next morning. NO call. Thursday my truck WOULDN'T start. Called the garage, he was just going to call me (mmmhhhmmm), had the truck towed in. They thought maybe I had left my gps plugged in too long, nope, too many accessories being used, nope....Couldn't figure out the problem, gave me a paid rental and told me it might be a week or so, they wanted to get to the bottom of this. Weeks later they let me know 16 other vehicles in North America were suffering from the same problem, hinted I should be getting a buy out. Try to call dealer owner, left 3 messages no returned call. The only person who called me was the service manager weekly. It was apparently "fixed", they offered me 3 months of payments ($1700), a $200 gas card and free service to take back my "repaired" truck. I told them I was told I would not be getting it back. Called GM customer care, I was told my ambassador would call me,no returned call. Left 2more messages, no response. 9 weeks later sales rep calls (2nd time), she needs me to come preview a new truck, I go in talk to her and owner. They are willing to buy me out for $7000 less than my money in,after settling loan and getting new truck I'm still at a loss of $4100. The dealer wouldn't even discuss price reductions for this "issue"... This is beyond wrong!!!!
    I am very sorry to hear that your transmission needs to be replaced. Have you heard back from your dealership as of yet? If we can be of any assistance, please send us an email with more information (including your name/username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and your dealership's name).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I am very sorry that you are in this frustrating situation. Do you have a Service Request number? Please send us an email with that and we'd be happy to look into this further.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Thank you for posting this update. I am sorry for how inconvenient the repair process has been, as you've had to drive several hundred miles to find the service you wanted. When you receive your vehicle back, please be sure to let us know how everything is working out.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • hpy2hpy2 Member Posts: 3
    I started having problems with the engine stalling today! Have a 2008 Enclave CX at 45,700. Can't reverse, the RPM shoots up to 3 1/2 to 4 with extra loud engine noise. The stalling happens when transit nearing 40 mph, don't know why this is happening all of a sudden. Is my vehicle under warranty? Is there a recall with regard to 2008 Enclave transmissions? I want my ride back...please help (michigan) :cry:
  • stephsfab5stephsfab5 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Sarah,
    I don't have a service request number. I have sent an email to the GMC contact info this evening. Hopefully this will help start it. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    stephsfab5
    Hpy2,

Generally, 2008 Buicks have a Bumper to Bumper warranty of 4 years or 50,000 miles from the in service date/mileage, whichever comes first. The powertrain warranty offers coverage for the first 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

For recalls and to learn the specific warranty parameters on your vehicle (exact date/mileage of expiration), we can look into this for you if you were to send us an email with the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    All,

If you have sent an email to us and have not heard back, there was some miscommunication between myself and another member of our department (as I am not the only person handling the emails coming in from Edmunds). This glitch has been resolved, but some messages may have been lost in that transition. I apologize for the length of the delay, as I do realize that we rely so heavily upon our vehicles for our day to day lives and that vehicle concerns can have huge ramifications.

I would like to invite you to please re-send your email if you have not heard back from us, and extend my sincere and humble apologies for the delay.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bodurthabodurtha Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased 08 Acadia with 50K on it. Two weeks in and the tranny was grinding off and on when in reverse. Then we were starting to have acceleration problems on the highway. Luckily it was GMC certified. Whatever that means. It has been in the shop three days getting a broken plate fixed in tranny plus one of the ball bearings was busted. Hoping we can trade it back in. Buyer beware.
    How did the repair go for your Acadia? I am sorry that these concerns surfaced, especially as you've just purchased this vehicle.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rjheardrjheard Member Posts: 5
    I bought a used Acadia with 63k from a local GMC dealer and after 30 days the transmission sometimes will not shift. I sure hope GM stands behind the warranty. I'm beginning to remember why I haven't owned a domestic auto in several years.
    I am sorry that you are experiencing some transmission difficulty. The powertrain warranty is good for 5 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first, and it sounds like you are within those parameters. If you would like more information on component coverage, we'd be happy to get that do you!
    Do you already have an appointment set up with the dealership?
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • becreedbecreed Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have had the same horror as everyone else. Bought a 07 acadia in June 11 with 34000 miles, was in love with it, very roomy and smooth. I was in heaven! What a quick trip to meet satan. I have the jerky starts and weird shifting. In November the transmission went out while driving down the road with my daughter in the car. Had to use on star which was great but car got towed. Was in dealer garage 2 weeks because there were 2 other acadias in the garage with same issue! Funny thing is the garage guy knew right off what was wrong with it. Told me this was a common problem, " not enough to issue recall but enough of problem to issue a bulletin to the garages so they know when an acadia comes in acting this way, they know what the problem is." Well that is great, that way we pay for it if the warranty is up. Thankfully I have my warranty until this spring, I hope I can get an extended warranty now. Any offers GM? My ride is currently running okay, still jerks with take off and I hold my breath waiting for the next tow. There was a high pitch whinning a week or so before the trans went out just so everyone knows what to expect.
    it would be great if they offered a reasonable extended warranty for those that have had problems. i only hve seven months left and dont feel very confidant in my acadia.
    I am glad to hear that your transmission concerns were resolved. As far as service contracts are concerned, we do have GM Protection Plans available, but only when the vehicle is within its manufacturer's warranty, which is the Bumper-to-Bumper warranty, for the first three years/36,000 miles on a vehicle (whichever comes first) or that the point of purchase on a pre-owned vehicle. If we can be of any further assistance, please be sure to let us know.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • becreedbecreed Member Posts: 2
    So there is no GM extended warranty offers after the 5 year one is up? I keep getting extended warrenty offers in the mail but they are not from GM and dont know how reputable they are. I just know I cant pay for a transmission repair out of pocket and I have a bad feeling there are more issues to come.
    I understand that a transmission repair out of pocket would be daunting. Hopefully I can clarify our programs for you -
    A GMC Extended Bumper-to-Bumper limited warranty is only available at the time of purchase for 2011/2012 vehicles.
    The GM Protection Plans, or GMPPs, we have available can be purchased at any time during the Bumper-to-Bumper limited warranty, which is in effect for the first 3 years/36,000 miles that a vehicle is in service.
    That is all that is available through General Motors. However, dealerships offer different service contracts and extended warranties from different companies. Your preferred dealer would be a good resource to learn more about what is available and what is reputable.
    I hope this is helpful,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • brooklyngirl1brooklyngirl1 Member Posts: 14
    Hi I think I may be able to help you..I have had 2 Acadia's my husband and I just sold the 2010 that we had...It has been nothing but a nightmare for us. I wanted to E-mail you but your E-mail was private
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Is there some reason you can't post and help everyone? We all benefit when a problem is discussed on the open forum. Trying to contact someone off the boards defeats the purpose of having a forum. Thanks.
    Hi I am very new to this and don't know how all of this worked.I read a comment felt compelled to help. That is why I signed up. I never did anything like this before I am not on forums and chat rooms. Saw that someone was having a problem like me and just wanted to help no more or less that was it.
    Thanks
    I would Love to help everyone
    Hello, you need to write a certified letter to GMC about the problems you are having. A certified letter and get in touch with the the BBB its a lot of work but it is worth it. Make sure you do a certified letter first then BBB. From my experience GMC was just stringing us along until our warranty ended and when that happens you are jacked and they know this. They say to call they give a case number then you hear nothing from them or you hear I am so sorry about the troubles you are having with your vehicle. Also make sure when you take the vehicle in for repairs you get all the paper work BBB will ask you for that and they will ask you for any written correspondace you have had with GMC. The certified letter is important and once you send a certified letter it stops the warranty in time:) hope this helps you a little
    Thanks!
  • mj198mj198 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 Acadia SLT - love the look, room, towing ability (have a 4,500 lb. boat and trailer) and mpg. At 25,000 the transfer case went out (covered by warranty), then the radio (it worked but the screen is blank so you don't know the station), then the front struts, the rack and pinion and most recently the power steering pump all before 70,000 miles.

Only the transfer case was covered by the GMC warranty. Looking at a Nissan Pathfinder or Toyota 4-Runner; I realize the ride will be harsher (on a truck frame) but have a hard time with a vehicle that ate up $2,500 in repairs in the first three years.
    Mj198,
    I understand that vehicle repairs can be stressful, but thank you for allowing us the chance to resolve your concerns. Do you have any current concerns? Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I would get in touch with the BBB and make a complaint against GM...Send GM a certified letter too...but definitely you should make a complaint...I have been there same problems that you are having plus the transmission...We just got rid of it. That was our first and last GM I WOULD NEVER EVER waste my money like that again!!! Everyone use to say to Acadia was so pretty all I could say is pretty girl no brains that is what I would compare it to. O by the way I am talking about a 2010. Every time I think about it it makes me angry.

We tried working with GM and getting a case number we really thought we were doing something. We got nothing but voice mails, ringing phones that no one would answer, rude GM associates and lies. Or someone telling us to go miles away so another dealership could look at the vehicle. If you need anymore information or help I would be more then happy to:)
    Well... It's back to the dealer in the morning. I still don't have a good feeling about this vehicle. I was hoping that the repair would fix the vibration (chugging at about 1200 rpm) but it's still there. I also have a whine I did not have before I had the no upshift problem. Does anyone know if they will put the alternate shift point programming in a 08? I've read that might fix the chugging problem.
  • disenchanted4disenchanted4 Member Posts: 1
    Have to agree, if anyone finds such a class action, would be interested. I have very similar experience, roll-back on hills. I was told because of the front-wheel drive type transmission, but that's phooy. It is still safety related. If you take it out of gear, it clunks something horrible. I think that's where folks are having trouble with transmission. Had mine replaced at 102,000 on my 2007 SLT. GM didn't even share the cost of the so-said 100Kmile warranty. I've had Toyotas and Hondas, and they sometimes share the cost. I had my mechanic take pictures of the transmission, lots of shavings, so my theory I feel is on cue.
    So other issues are: 1. Shuttering brakes. 2. DVD-Audio System does not separate sound front to back. 2. Power-Steering pump, had to replace and use syn-oil. 3. Rear Door HAtch hydraulics failed. 4. When leaving back hatch door open, no alarm sounds when engaging into drive/reverse. 5. Sun roof leaked.
    It will be a long time before I buy another GM product, probably never.
    edited January 2012
    I'm sorry that you had such an unsatisfactory experience with our Customer Assistance Center. Could we look into your case for you to make sure that everything was handled appropriately? Please email us the number, and we'll get you any information we can.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer service
    Are the issues you listed current concerns? We can set up a Service Request to help work towards a resolution on these if they are. Please send us an email with the following information: your name/Edmunds user name, your contact information (phone and address please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina, who answers most of the emails from Edmunds, will advise you as to our next steps.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Sarah,
    It is to late now we just rid of the 10. We started out with an 08 brand new Acadia. Then one day as we are driving in the 08 my son yells from the back mommy its raining on me we look in the back and we have water rushing in the vehicle from the sunroof. So we go to the dealership lets just say that after about 10times back and forth to the dealership without the problem ever being fixed. We decide to give GM a call and this is when the nightmare begin. We were disrespected lied to told that someone would call us back everything that someone would tell a person to string them along. We hired a lawyer that delt with the lemon law seems as though he was working for GM more then he was working with us. That is when we had enough and we filed a case with BBB and wrote GM a certified letter. The outcome from that was a 2010 Acadia... A year after having the vehicle one thing after another happened we had that vehicle in the shop so much that my husband and I would say that we have a whole new different vehicle because the dealership was in and out of that thing like crazy fixing this part replacing that part it was just a mess to the point that every time that I would get into the vehicle I would just cringe. We filed about three different cases on this vehicle one time we got car payments and extended warranty then we got a couple of car payments that is great but paid over 40 thousand for this vehicle I just think its ridiculous!!!!! Thanks for trying to help but I am done with GM I will never, ever buy another vehicle from them..I could never recommend to anyone that I know a GM vehicle and we were asked by plenty of people about the Acadia when we had it. So now my husband and I are looking to buy another vehicle..I have had Toyota and Nissan and nothing like this has ever happened as a matter of fact I have a 2000 Nissan still driving it by the way it has never been in the shop for any reason...GM needs to look at the Acadia and see what the problem is there is a really big problem with those vehicles!!!!
    Brooklyngirl1,
    Given your experience, I understand and respect your decision. I hope that you are able to find a vehicle that will serve you well, and wish you all the best!
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mike_inmid5mike_inmid5 Member Posts: 1
    Clearly im glad i came here before deciding to buy an acadia. True its a nice looking vehicle. But sheesh, these tranny nightmares are exactly why i dumped my ford windstar , dropped domestics forever, and wont look back. We have a toyota sienna van, thats been totally trouble free. But were thinking an suv would be nice. Sorry, but these post have me convinced that government motors corp. Still doesnt have its act together. Its ashame, because the vehicles have nice designs, and more attractive than many japan makes, but quality just isnt there. Period.

My sienna will blow the doors off nearly every vehicle on a highway in terms of acceleration. Hasnt been in the shop once after 40,000 miles, except to replace the crap dunlop tires. Easy to solve problem. Put on 80000 mile michis. Space behind 3rd row seat ? Are you kdding me ? We could pack for a family of 10 and still have room to spare. No suv has that, and the space behind any of them is non existent. Why have 3 rows, if you have to put luggage in 3rd row ?

Extremely happy '08 toyota owner. Btw, $29k list, bought for $23k all in. Retail sell value currently - $24k. Folks there is no depreciation on a toyota sienna. What does that tell you about reliability ? These vehicles are bullet proof. Sorry but i aint drinking the sexy looking, no substance gm o r domestic koolaid. Buy a sienna if you want room, quality, comfort ride, storage, zero visits to a dealership, and zero phone calls to bbb, or an attorney. Thank you toyota ? For building a vehicle the way it should be ?
    edited February 2012
    Well, you're reading a "problems" discussion, not a happy camper one. There's plenty of problem posts over in the Sienna discussions too.

Our Identifix reliability ratings for both the Sienna and Acadia show "Minimal Problems".

People like their Acadias over in the Consumer Reviews too.

Nice thing about modern cars is that most of them are very reliable. Next time you cruise around note how many you see broken down on the side of the road.

Now, Windstars were indeed another story.

Enjoy your ride.